sd2snes help needed

Go down

sd2snes help needed Empty sd2snes help needed

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 14:02

I have been helping a new user set up MSU-1 games for the first time. We had some struggles but we were able to have him play mega man x msu-1 on the snes9x 1.60 emulator. We are now trying to help him play the game on sd2snes and he is having some trouble. I do not own a sd2snes so does anyone that does might know the reason why we have this play on snes9x but not the sd2snes? Here is a few parts of our conversation that may help.

Quote from nolinto: "In the page: https://www.zeldix.net/t1607-msu1-getting-started-guide, the link https://github.com/redacted173/sd2snes/releases doesn't work anymore. I found the latest version at that link instead:https://github.com/redacted173/sd2snes/releases/tag/sgb07 which give me the sgb07 version.

I've test on my Sd2Snes and I do see the firmware info update to the sgb07, but the results with my msu1 file is the same. The music doesn't play, I hear the sounds effects (such as a buster shot) but no music at all.

Do you have any idea?"

I also asked him how the model of his sd2snes was and he said

QUOTE: "I bought it already used, but I think it is 2 year old (I only have it since few months).

From what I understand, it's the last version, and the only difference from one another is the art on the cartridge and the firmware you install on it."

Does anyone have any ideas for us?
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

sd2snes help needed Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

sd2snes help needed Empty Re: sd2snes help needed

Post by Relikk Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 14:38

I'm pretty sure CX4+MSU1 works with all hardware revisions of the SD2SNES. There shouldn't be any problems. Usually when music doesn't play it's a naming issue or a missing MSU file. Ask them to provide a screenshot of their game folder showing file extensions and take a look at it. SD2SNES doesn't need any of the BML or XML files, only the patched ROM, the MSU and PCM files.

With regard to the firmware they're trying to use, this would be the latest unofficial firmware release that includes the Super Game Boy stuff, and it includes all of the BIOS files for everything.

https://github.com/furious/sd2snes/releases/download/savestate_v12/sd2snes_v1.10.3-frs-v12.zip

It's also quite possible that it could be a low quality clone cartridge if they bought it from someone else, or damaged.
Relikk
Relikk

sd2snes help needed Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 15:32

Hi @relikk,

My cart is coming from the official kirkzz.com, i have the box, so it shouldn't be a cheap alibaba clone. My version currently has the fxpak and can run games such as MMX3 which I don't think is possible with a cheap clone.

As far as the firmware stuff, I readed many time the SD2SNES part of this explanation: https://www.zeldix.net/t1607-msu1-getting-started-guide. I came to realize that I didn't do anything that regards .GBC file. Although, I do not quite understand what I am suppose to do to get that gbc file. I've tried to take the rom and simply change the extension, but as expected that didn't work. Do you think it'd have to do with this? I use the exact same patched rom and .msu file that I use on emulator and it works on emulator and not on sd2snes. My firmware version installed right now is the v 1.10.3_sgb02, unlike the screen shot in your starter guide, it doesn't have the _dbg at the end. all the rest seems to be like the image with the sgb2_boot.bin/sgb2_snes.bin named correctly.

I'm 100% sure that my files are all named the same.

Hope my context help you guide me.

Thanks so much in advance for the help,

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 18:02

Can you connect your SD card to your PC and take a screenshot of the folder of the game you're trying to play, and post it here? Enable the file name extensions, as well.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 19:52

Hi, please find enclosed the folder + my firmware image.

Please also note that I've tried with and without the .bml file and none worked. This screenshot only happen to be my test with it.

Thanks,

sd2snes help needed Mmx-ms10
sd2snes help needed Mmx-ms11
sd2snes help needed Captur10

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 20:10

The game folder looks fine. Do you have another SD card you could use for a test? Perform a fresh format on another card and use only the firmware that I linked to in my first post and try MMX with that.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 21:14

To be honest, I do not have another SD card. However, what I did is to completely delete my sd2snes folder that I had and change it with yours. The new version hasn't sgb02 like my previous one. The results is the same. Games works, but with no music.

That said, in the starter guide, it says ''Unlike emulators, the SD2SNES uses the GB ROM filename for matching the .msu and .pcm filenames. This is why it is suggested above to just name everything to match, because then the same folder will work in emulators and on the SD2SNES. When you load the game, you'll want to load the GB ROM file directly. The BIOS file is loaded from the /sd2snes folder, and if you have a copy in the ROM directory, it will be ignored.''

However I don't quite understand what this all means. Should I have a gbc file? Megaman X hasn't launch on gameboy color at my knowledge, this is the part that confuse me..

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 5 Mar 2021 - 5:35

That section is a tutorial about how to load Game Boy MSU1 hacks. The GBC file is a Game Boy Color ROM. It's not related to SNES MSU1 games or the MMX problem.

Are you sure you're patching the correct ROM for the patch version? There is a v1.0 and a v1.1 ROM revision. Make sure you're using the correct patch for the ROM you're using.

Did you try any other MSU1 games?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Fri 5 Mar 2021 - 22:46

Hi Relikk,

I've been patching few differents rom (I verified that all was 1.1 and headed removed) and also tried few pre-patched roms, none worked on my Sd2Snes.

I had in mind to set up MMX before moving to other game, I'll give it a shot and I will let you know.

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 13:44

If no other games work then it's most likely there's a hardware problem somewhere. Either with the SD2SNES itself, or your console. Sometimes it can be a bad connection between the pins of the cartridge and the cartridge slot connectors, as MSU1 audio is passed through certain pins of the SD2SNES and output as analogue audio (which, in turn, means that if you have a digital audio mod on your console and are using that as a primary output you won't hear MSU1 audio at all anyway). Try cleaning the cartridge pins and the cart slot of your console. I think the original Super Game Boy cart uses the same pins to output audio for Game Boy games, if you have one of those to test with.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 14:03

Well, you have been able to pinpoint what is most likely the problem. I never thought of that, but I'm playing with the analogue super NT. I've got a regular SNES and when I tried the exact same file, it worked!!! Very Happy .

I will make some research to find out if I can fix that for my super NT, but at least we are fix that it's not a software problem anymore.

Thanks so much for your help!

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 14:06

If it's a Super NT then there's a cartridge audio option somewhere in the settings that needs to be enabled.

God, I hate Analogue.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by nolinto Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 14:08

Yes! I just found out and was about to post the solution here for future reference.

So to help anybody that is trying to find out how to make Super NT works with a SD2SNES to run MSU-1 file, you need to go to your settings, audio, and check the option ''cartridge audio enable'', then go back and click on save.

God, I can't believe that the problem was that simple..

Thanks so much!

nolinto
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 15:16

Awesome! Glad it worked out. Thanks for help relikk
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

sd2snes help needed Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 6 Mar 2021 - 15:18

No problem. A shame that I didn't ask, or know if it was a Super NT sooner. Could have solved this two days ago. Very Happy
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down