Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto

Go down

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto Empty Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto

Post by JustinBailey Fri 6 Aug 2021 - 0:27

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto?
I played that game a lot when I was young, and it had an awesome and catchy soundtrack.
I loved it! Piece of Heart

Unfortunately, it looks like there's no MSU-1 version of that game. Crying or Very sad
Well, I was a bit bored today, so I redid the Main Theme (title screen) in CD quality!

Here's a picture I did (in 2015):

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto SNCD-KK_full

And here's the music!
Let me know what you think:

Main Theme (Original SPC)
Main Theme (CD Quality)

...As a Bonus, I also did the Map Theme:

Map (Original SPC)
Map (CD Quality)

...Edit: wow, another one! "Rocky's Message":

Rocky's Message (Original SPC)
Rocky's Message (CD Quality)

Last edited by JustinBailey on Fri 6 Aug 2021 - 6:04; edited 2 times in total
JustinBailey
JustinBailey
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-08-05

Back to top Go down

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto Empty Re: Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto

Post by Conn Fri 6 Aug 2021 - 5:22

Unfortunately, the msu hackers we had on this forum are all mainly retired Sad
Conn
Conn

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto Empty Re: Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto

Post by pentarou Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 3:29

Nice works, I enjoy play this game with my GF, I hope there will come a MSU version by some cool dude.
Looking forward to the switch remake version release. Squirrel
pentarou
pentarou
Newcomer

Since : 2020-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 6:56

Is that a fully completed game for a SNES attachment that never actually got released? Cool.

edale

Pocky & Rocky / Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutapode89 Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 11:17

Conn wrote:Unfortunately, the msu hackers we had on this forum are all mainly retired Sad

Why? Shin Megami Tensei is already in progress.
Brutapode89
Brutapode89
Crystal Maiden
Crystal Maiden

Since : 2019-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 11:57

Brutapode89 wrote:
Conn wrote:Unfortunately, the msu hackers we had on this forum are all mainly retired Sad

And as stated in that thread, that is that modder's first mod. Most of the MSU mods that are released at this time were done by modders that have retired and/or moved on from MSU modding. While a few are still around, they don't really hammer out 2-3 MSU mods a week like some of the previous modders would (Hi Conn! Very Happy).

What the MSU community really needs atm is a few more people to pick up the skills to create MSU mods. Until we get there we're not going to see much in the way of new MSU mods. We can always hope the modder of the SMT mod sticks around the community to do some more mods, once he's done with that project.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by bsinky Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 12:37

edale wrote:
Brutapode89 wrote:

And as stated in that thread, that is that modder's first mod. Most of the MSU mods that are released at this time were done by modders that have retired and/or moved on from MSU modding. While a few are still around, they don't really hammer out 2-3 MSU mods a week like some of the previous modders would (Hi Conn! Very Happy).

What the MSU community really needs atm is a few more people to pick up the skills to create MSU mods. Until we get there we're not going to see much in the way of new MSU mods. We can always hope the modder of the SMT mod sticks around the community to do some more mods, once he's done with that project.

I have vague plans to work on MSU patches for the other SNES SMT games (at least if... and II), but beyond that I'm not sure. I don't see myself ever hammering out 2 or 3 mods a week though, I just don't have the time for so much debugging and testing.
bsinky
bsinky
Rope
Rope

Since : 2021-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 13:21

bsinky wrote:I have vague plans to work on MSU patches for the other SNES SMT games (at least if... and II), but beyond that I'm not sure. I don't see myself ever hammering out 2 or 3 mods a week though, I just don't have the time for so much debugging and testing.
No one's expecting you to put out 2-3 mods a week, lol.

As for testing and such, you can easily outsource that. Release an in-progress patch once you've got the basic MSU functionality working, then let the playtesters in the community (aka, anyone who's interested in that particular game, lol) find the problem areas, then they can provide save files, so you can jump right to the problem area to debug.

You can even outsource the track mapping, if you've got a playtester who knows what they're doing (just put a watch on whatever RAM value the MSU code is using for the track number, see what number it reports, and compare to what's supposed to play there... or listen if the MSU code has a per-track SPC fallback).

And finally, you can outsource the track selection, looping, and conversion.

There's several users on this site, myself included, who lack the skills to do MSU mods, but are willing and more than capable of doing pretty much every other part of the MSU process.

The MSU projects I worked on typically had the coder just do the basic coding to get the MSU working; then I'd go in and get the tracks mapped out, locate suitable music for each track (including getting permission from the composer/artist who made whatever remasters I used to use their music for the mod), convert the music (including any needed editing to get things working properly, such as making sure the audio lines up in scripted events), playtest the game, and then report any bugs I find related to the MSU patch. Then playtesting again after the bugs are fixed, and reporting any new bugs. Rinse/repeat until the game was playable beginning to end with no major bugs, before publishing the patch in the MSU hacks database and moving on to the next project. I'm reasonably sure the MSU coders themselves didn't play the games beginning to end once in the entire process for most of them.

While I'm mostly retired from doing all that, I'm still willing to do the looping and conversion for the audio (and help on song selection) on any MSU projects you want to work on, and may help with playtesting if it's a game I'm interested in.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by JustinBailey Sat 4 Sep 2021 - 16:19

pentarou wrote:Nice works, I enjoy play this game with my GF,  I hope there will come a MSU version by some cool dude.
Thanks! In the meantime, I converted and reorchestrated 12 out of 24 tracks!
Yay, I'm halfway! Yes
JustinBailey
JustinBailey
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by pentarou Thu 9 Sep 2021 - 6:13

JustinBailey wrote:
pentarou wrote:Nice works, I enjoy play this game with my GF,  I hope there will come a MSU version by some cool dude.
Thanks! In the meantime, I converted and reorchestrated 12 out of 24 tracks!
Yay, I'm halfway! Yes
Yes Yes
Keep up the good working.

https://www.natsumeatari.co.jp/kuromanto/
i hope this game will release soon, the remake soundtracks are really nice, must buy! Squirrel
pentarou
pentarou
Newcomer

Since : 2020-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JustinBailey Mon 13 Sep 2021 - 12:29

pentarou wrote:https://www.natsumeatari.co.jp/kuromanto/
i hope this game will release soon, the remake soundtracks are really nice, must buy! Squirrel
Damn, you are right, they are remaking Pocky & Rocky!
I didn't know! What a funny timing Ohmygod

I think the new soundtrack sounds too much MIDI, and too bad that the SFX are the same as the SNES game (they are very aggressive to the ears in my opinion).
But damn, Pocky & Rocky with new animation and in 16/9, awesome!
JustinBailey
JustinBailey
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum