Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible?

Go down

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Empty Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible?

Post by nashismo Mon 9 Jan 2023 - 4:32

Not a request necessarily but a question to those savvy enough.

Would theoretically be possible to port NeoGeo games to the SNES using the FX/SA-1/CX4 chips, through the FPGA on the SD2SNES?

I mean here is the thing, for speed you could use a chip like the SA-1 that is clocked at 16mhz, which was of course amazing for its time.

For vector graphics you could use the FX chip (though I do not know if that would translate well to Neogeo ports).

But the most interesting one would be the CX4 Capcom chip which from what I know not only allows for vector graphics, but it also allow for MUCH larger sprites on screen (see the 1st boss on Megaman X2).

Could this be possible? Theoretically?

"Great things start with the most basic human instinct, our curiosity" Very Happy

Cheers to all, and be sure to leave your thoughts! And if anyone very knowledgeable leaves feedback, then even better Smile

nashismo
Rope
Rope

Since : 2020-12-15

Back to top Go down

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Empty Re: Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible?

Post by TheRetromancer Mon 9 Jan 2023 - 7:44

Neat idea, unlikely to actually happen. There are effectively no practical similarities between the SNES architecture and the NEO GEO. The NEO GEO does not use Vector Graphics, for example.

As a matter of fact, the only thing the NEO GEO does, graphically speaking, is draw vertical strips as sprites. That's it - all that processing power, and all it does it draw sprites. Big sprites, impressive sprites, sprites with as many frames of gorgeous animation as you can possible cram into the space available...but still sprites. The amount of work and retooling needed makes the effort less of a port and more of a ground-up redesign.

Additionally, the NEO GEO AES deals with something like 200 different pins on each cartridge. Sure, there's a fair amount of GND and VCC, but the sheer I/O needed to make those pretty images happen is kind of a bear to overcome. That's a lot of throughput you'd have to pare down and economize.

And that's just for starters. Nevermind that the SD2SNES FPGA probably doesn't have enough space left on it to handle another core, let alone the kind of core that this would require.

With enough time and effort, is it *possible* to overcome limitations like this? I guess, maybe. Is it *plausible*...? I kinda doubt it.
TheRetromancer
TheRetromancer

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Image110

Since : 2014-10-18

Back to top Go down

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Empty Re: Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible?

Post by Cubear Mon 9 Jan 2023 - 19:22

yeah, the processor on the neogeo was the 68000 right? it's more similar to a sega genesis than a snes.  

i hesitate to call anything impossible but the number of people capable of accomplishing anything near that is shrinkingly small, and those with the time and inclination to do something like this might shrink the number of eligible people to zero.
Cubear
Cubear

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by nashismo Tue 10 Jan 2023 - 3:58

Thank you for your answers guys! But I was thinking more like porting a game! Not emulate it.

I guess that for that you would probably need to have access to source code of NeoGeo games or at least their assets, and from that make the game.

One idea that came to my mind were the old Mugen games, does anyone remember those?

It would be cool if there was some type of translator to the language the SNES is using also, because I have heard SNES code was quite difficult actually and that is why indie game developers prefer the Sega Genesis, wich works on an easier to code language.

In fact I am really sad, there are hardly any new indie games released for the SNES, there are a few though, but very little.

Ok, thank you then! If anyone wants to share more thoughts, please do Smile My best regards.

nashismo
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by 90s comeback Thu 2 Nov 2023 - 10:50

After seeing what Sega Genesis is doing with SGDK, is more than obvious that the Snes wouldn't have any problem whatsoever on making more "arcade perfect" ports than the Sega one, without the help of any chip and in many cases even slowrom. Remember that the Snes has incredible games like Rendering Ranger, Gundam E.D. (much more complex fighting game than those that could be ported), Super Smash TV, TMNT Turtles in Time, Super Aleste, etc, all these are SLOWROM games, NO SLOWDOWNS, NO CHIPS. We all know that there's an agenda to promote the Snes as a weak console, but i've never seen the quality of the games that i mentioned before on Sega Genesis, again, SLOWROM games. The weak/chips agenda hoax is over!. There's a reason that we don't get a proper development kit for Snes, this has to change right now. The only obstacle is the VRAM.

90s comeback
Leever
Leever

Since : 2020-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by nashismo Fri 3 Nov 2023 - 17:46

90s comeback wrote:After seeing what Sega Genesis is doing with SGDK, is more than obvious that the Snes wouldn't have any problem whatsoever on making more "arcade perfect" ports than the Sega one, without the help of any chip and in many cases even slowrom. Remember that the Snes has incredible games like Rendering Ranger, Gundam E.D. (much more complex fighting game than those that could be ported), Super Smash TV, TMNT Turtles in Time, Super Aleste, etc, all these are SLOWROM games, NO SLOWDOWNS, NO CHIPS. We all know that there's an agenda to promote the Snes as a weak console, but i've never seen the quality of the games that i mentioned before on Sega Genesis, again, SLOWROM games. The weak/chips agenda hoax is over!. There's a reason that we don't get a proper development kit for Snes, this has to change right now. The only obstacle is the VRAM.

Well that would be wonderful, but in my limited knowledge, is not so much the lack of power the SNES has or hasn't, but how difficult it is to write and make games on that language! If I could think of anything would be that someone would have to develop a software to "translate" a more modern code/language on the fly so that people could develop let's say a game for the Genesis and the SNES at the same time, writing one piece of code and be done.

My best regards.

nashismo
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 15 Nov 2023 - 0:34

You could make a NEO GEO game into an SNES one, but you will be using the assets and building the game from the ground up.

SNES is tile based and sprite based. So you would have to take the NEO GEO background sprite images and turn them into tile based images.

Then for the necessary sprites, you would have to adapt them within the Vram of the SNES.

So its possible, maybe for some games. Like you could make a simple game (homebrew) that is the same game on both consoles and have the same graphics and everything, but you would have to have this in mind while making such game.

You can't just take like, KOF and make a 1-1 SNES port of it.

But you could say make PAC-MAN on both consoles using the same assets, but each machine would handle the assets totally differently.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Would Neogeo game ports to SNES using FX/SA-1/CX4 be possible? Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down