MSU-1 enabling

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MSU-1 enabling Empty MSU-1 enabling

Post by Conn Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 13:23

I just found this Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAg2T7d6uU

It is interesting since it might be possible to add cd-Quality Audio to a Zelda game.

Check here:
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=1291
Since the author of this Video is a member at smwcentral, there's maybe the Chance to find out how to reach him to ask for his hack or to directly involve him in your works, SePH? Do you have a Profile at smwcentral to contact him?
He's still active there (last post this month):
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=71627&page=1&pid=1113635#p1113635

I was brought to this possibility through a member of the bszelda hp, emuandco. He just asked for help, so maybe it's good to Keep an eye on this Topic as well to find skilled ppl.
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=71902&page=1&pid=1117510#p1117510

I've read that you can include wav files into the Rom (which makes the size easily 30 MB), and the only Emulator playing the wav will be bsnes (and sd2snes). So you could make 2 Versions, one large for bsnes including the wavs and msu and 1 small for zsnes/snes9x/realhardware.  

Edit:
oh here's a documentation, but with some Problems... and I yet do not understand it. Guess directly asking Sonikku is the best Option ^^

Part1:
http://jumbocactuarx27.blogspot.de/2013/08/how-to-enhance-snes-game-with-msu-1.html

Part2:
http://jumbocactuarx27.blogspot.de/2013/10/how-to-enhance-snes-game-with-msu-1.html

and here's the documentation for bsnes:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130121233936/http://byuu.org/snes/msu1/development

and here's a Setup doc for the asm
http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

MSU-1 enabling Empty Re: MSU-1 enabling

Post by Founder Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 19:14

Alright, sent him a request lol

MSU-1 enabling Image3_zps53e2348f

Now wait and see, don't have an account on smwcentral so hopefully he's going to see this pm on youtube!

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 19:35

That's great. I remember that I have an usued smwcentral account, checked and it's still active, so I forwarded your message also over the smw central as pm Wink
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 21:48

if this gets accomplished holy cow!!!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

MSU-1 enabling Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 13:19

Yeah, that would be awesome, since it solves all our Problems in one go ^^ - no spc Music tinkering and such ^^

I found this demo for Super Mario World
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=38045
you can download the 30 MB demo Rom there, too. I tried to load it in higan (bsnes) but all I get is mute Music (however, sfx work). Has anybody an idea what I'm possibly doing wrong?
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 14:10

Despite the fact that MSU is great, the strategy behind this new format of music is very complicated. The ROM has no music actually, since BSNES loads the content of the entire folder, together with the music files and xml mapper file.

This strategy works in BSNES only. It will not work anywhere else. If the files are to be merged into the ROM, it would have 30MB, which will again not work anywhere.

Conn, your problem might come from the fact, that BSNES requires a sfc file (a standard smc will not work) and it needs to be "purified". You basically need a program to run your ROM through it, so it "prepares" it for BSNES. This emuator is not my first choice, since it is much to complicated to use.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

MSU-1 enabling Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 14:30

Yes, this is the reason I'd suggest making 2 Versions in case the msu works. One normal 4MB Version for all Emulators and one with the cd-Quality Sound for bsnes/sd2snes...

I just used the Content of that zip file, but my Problem was maybe that I didn't load the complete order (like Music and XML). How can you do this in higan? I only found the Option "Import Rom" and then I could only choose the sfc.
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 19:10

This new version (Higan) doesn't seem to have the SNESPurify in it. You need to run the Rom through this first. The old version had this. Then the folder, with all the things needed, will be created (including the xml mapper, which is mandatory). I guess you need to find the SnesPurify separately.

When you choose the sfc, you actually need to select the folder with the sfc (no header), xml etc. Been a while since I've used this emu.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

MSU-1 enabling Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 23 Mar 2014 - 20:03

Ah, I found the reason: the file can only be played with bsnes 0.68

http://bsnes.googlecode.com/files/bsnes_v068.zip

The higan uses another code (bml instead XML... or whatever). With this Emu, I can Play that example Rom in fantastic Audio Quality. Would be awesome to implement it for ALTTP Wink
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 8:38

woha! That is incredibly simple!
I just got the title music replaced with a wav file with only Little code ^^
Only issue is that bsnes 0.68 is needed; but you can Play any wav music
a small challenge will be the music fade out thing.

All I did was taking the XML from the super Mario example, renamed everything to the zelda rom's Name, made a small hijick from a9 01 8d 2c 01 (title Screen Music stored to $012c), and used this code:

Code:
LDA $2002   \ Checks the first letter of the MSU ID
CMP #$53     |it should be 'S' which is hex 53.
BNE #$13    / If it isn't, we skip over the MSU-1 code.
LDA #$FF    \ Set the volume to 100%
STA $2006   /
LDA #$01    \ We set the track number to track 1
STA $2004   /
STZ $2005   | The MSU-1 won't play until we set $2005
LDA #$03    \ We set the MSU-1 to play the selected track
STA $2007   / on repeat.
RTL         | We return to the hijack point. This is the end of the MSU-1 code.
LDA #$0B    \ This code is only hit if we skip over the MSU-1
STA $012C   | code. This just plays the normal non-MSU-1 song.
RTL         / This is useful if the rom is played on

the wave tracks Needs to be numbered in dec, so if you are at wave track 10 you Need to write a 0a to $2004, but the wave track still Needs to be named "10"
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 16:49

MSU-1 can also be played on real hardware with sd2snes:

http://byuu.org/snes/msu1/

This is amazing you figured out how it's done Conn!

I wouldn't mind implementing this in PU since people have kept bugging me to change the music many times already...

*wishes that we had an asm patch that would allows us to change all the different music tracks in zelda 3!*

What about FMV sequences, are those hard to insert too?

Take d4s super road blaster for exemple that uses only FMVs lol

http://www.dforce3000.de/index.php?p=news&t=msu1

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 17:08

I'll create a patch for you, best Thing is that you also can Play with normal Music Wink

Dunno what this fmv is, sort of Video? Let's stick on the pics I'd say ^^
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 18:10

Awesome!! This is simpy awesome!

I can't wait!

Do you know if such a patch would allow us to play dungeon songs from the bank2 into overworlds that lies in bank1 and vice-versa?

Otherwise, good job, like always Wink

FMV stands for full-motion videos, not sure if there's a need to add those in the hack though.

Found some documentation about it in the form of a source code for a FF2 hack:

https://github.com/jbaiter/ff4msu

Again, no need to think about it, I was just trowing up ideas Wink

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 21:30

*lol, yeah, Need a break bro ^^

I'm Close to be finished... it all works. But the fade out is a Thing I may not be able to implement. But the game Switches Music as it should. Theoretically you could Play themes from other Banks, but I'd not recommend. Right now the game Looks which theme should be loaded and loads the corresponding wav. You can apply the patch on your current Rom without the Need of having an extra Version. So if you mix the Banks, this Feature is gone.

But you have 15 overworld themes, 15 dungeon themes and 3 end themes... aren't These enough?
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 24 Mar 2014 - 21:51

Conn wrote:*lol, yeah, Need a break bro ^^

But you have 15 overworld themes, 15 dungeon themes and 3 end themes... aren't These enough?
hmmmphhh... youre right! Didn't see that from that perspective! 15/15 and 3 endings is well balanced as it is! Thats 33 songs god damnnit lol

Best of all we could theoratically add a notice in the readme that if people don't like the songs in the game, they can be changed to their favorite ones!

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 7:14

The good News is that I seem to be finished with the msu. There are always exceptions (like using flute etc.) which must be addressed manually.

Bad News however is that I run from one bug into the other. (Bunny can use items, flute map gets corrupted in bsnes <- hope I can fix this since I normally can only fix Problems that also arise in Geiger).

I'll see what I can do.
Btw: your helmsaur king Boss is corrupt. I think it isn't my fault, at least not the fault of this hack...
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 8:21

The bad news aren't really bad news for me since they are known bugs! Just haven't documented them yet. Here's some of them:

- Bunny can use items after using the flute only if I recall, and only the item thats currently selected (known bug)

- If you get hit by monsters while in bunny form, you transform into Link (known bug)

- Helmasaur King, Trinexx and even Ganon I think don't work properly (known bug)

- Some sprites can't move up  (known bug)

- Flute map gets corrupted in bsnes (the only new bug Razz)

Thankfully rom backups are there for that reason, I commented most of my roms everytime we added new asm hacks in PU so it shouldn't be too hard to know what affected those sprites in the first place... I'll just have to test lots of roms lol

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 11:05

phew, that really was a hard coding Task alltogether.

I sent you 2 files per mail
- one fix for the bunny sword use and the bsnes flute map
- the msu package Wink

I looked into this bug:
- If you get hit by monsters while in bunny form, you transform into Link (known bug)
I can only confirm when you are dying (but here it is ok)... checked it in ice hockey only since there is the only bunny Screen with Monsters (accessible by flute) - when you're realived by a fairy you stay Link. Is this the bug you were speaking about?
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:18

Had some time to try this out!

^^Added an old song from Gex: Enter the Gecko just for fun and it works flawlessly!

Would you happen to have a list of all the songs in hex? Or else I'll figure it all out, no worries :-)

A great way to start the day, will keep me busy for a while! Thanks for this patch a million times!!

The bunny bug occurs when the monsters hurt you... they turn you into Link. That happened to me in the underwater areas, but I've since changed the way you'll arrive there so you won't be a bunny in those areas anymore since you'll need the golden scale to get there... I haven't tested if the same thing applies to the space areas so that will need to be tested out soon enough :-P  (once I'm done adding a few songs maybe, way too much tempting!)

Also does anyone knows a better screen recoder then fraps that doesnt slow down when recording? I used to record movies with zsnes and the memcoder extension, but with bsnes it seems there's no help at all on the net. I can record movies in bsnes (*.bsv) format but cant convert them into avis... so I used good ol' fraps instead!

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:47

Here you go:

Overworld:
-01 Triforce + title screen
-02 Overworld
-03 Rain
-04 Rabbit
-05 Lost Woods
-06 Introduction
-07 Kakariko Village
-08 Portal SFX
-09 Dark World
-0A Master Sword
-0B Name select screen
-0C Guard summoned
-0D Skull Woods
-0E Minigame
-0F Title screen only

Indoors:
-10 Hyrule Castle
-11 Light World dungeon
-12 Cave
-13 Medallion/crystal acquired
-14 Sanctuary
-15 Boss
-16 Dark World dungeon
-17 Fortune Teller
-18 Cave (appears to be identical to -12)
-19 Zelda rescued in prison
-1A Sage rescued in crystal
-1B Fairy spring
-1C Ganon's theme only
-1D Ganon appears in Agahnim's shadow
-1E Face-to-face + Ganon's theme
-1F Ganon battle

+ 3 ending themes
20, 21,22

I will take care of the bugs one day Wink
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 14:43

Alright thanks that will do the job for now! Bugs can wait, take as much time as you need Wink

You've pushed enough boudaries for now lol

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 15:37

Thanks, you can send me an updated Rom (at least with the last fix applied (bunny and bsnes)
Also you can give a list of the bugs, and where to find them... maybe I can erade some (entomology never was my subject).
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 16:52

Here's some more tests!

^^These two will probably stay in the game Razz

^^Ever played Monkey Island? This is a remade version and probably the best one that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-h5c6Yj_Vc

^^That guy in particular has an awesome talent re-creating some of our favorites games from our childhood... he also shares mosts of his songs for free... so I might have a few of them in the hack!

^^Ever played Fallout 3?! This might not be in the final game, but still was fun adding it in Zelda 3 lol

The encountered two bugs only.

1- Exit on any overworld screen, msu1 loads fine... then move to the next screen, it plays both music (original and msu1 track at the same time)

2- Open the crystal in chests and it loads the original game sequence and freezes the game.

Otherwise everything else is perfect so far!

I'll send you the latest rom too!

Founder

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 21:43

Seems, like you like my hack ^^
Though I'd take the "real" Starwars Music for the intro Wink

I fixed both issues (Walking Screen&crystals) and sent you the fix patch. I also applied this hack on the Rom you sent me (your Passwords are easy :p), so I have the latest Version. All I Need is a bug list with description where and how they appear and I'll see what I can do Wink
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 22:02

Wait, so this lets you set high quality music in the rom? Like replacing a song in the game with an actual song? Are you serious?
scawful
scawful

MSU-1 enabling Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next