Conker hack talk

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Conker hack talk Empty Conker hack talk

Post by Erockbrox Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 2:18

This is a video about me just talking about the game.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Conker hack talk Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Conker hack talk Empty Re: Conker hack talk

Post by SunGodPortal Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 3:51

That's a really long video. Disgust
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Conker hack talk Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 19:59

THIS JUST IN: In a fit of inspiration Seph's dumped half of the dungeons and is working on a new overworld and main character!

heh just kidding Very Happy
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 20:35

Also, I think all the non-msu1 songs in the game should be muted out so that it will deter cart makers from making copies of the game.

This way if you dont have msu1 you won't be getting much.

Cart makers will be advertising it like "hey, check out the cool game! If you just pretend really hard you can hear the game music. Yes "
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 20:46

Well, with only a little piece of assembly knowledge, all such copy protection we could make can easily be traced and fixed. I do bug-fixes all time and know what I am talking about Wink

I think the possibility of msu rather lead people to buy a sd2snes - it cannot be executed on a cartridge. So there's little chance anyway that people make cartridge copies.

Conn
Conn

Conker hack talk Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Thu 28 Apr 2016 - 23:48

Also, I think all the non-msu1 songs in the game should be muted out so that it will deter cart makers from making copies of the game.

Trying to thwart cart makers and such is a lost cause. If someone is going to charge someone $200-400 a cart for something and people are stupid enough to buy it (they are) they will find a way to make it work because of the profit margin. The only reason that hasn't been done to Puzz's IQ Test is because it's appeal is a bit too niche. Otherwise, it will happen.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 29 Apr 2016 - 13:20

But if Seph makes him back non compatible with hm then I don't see anyone Using his back as any sort of base hack.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Fri 29 Apr 2016 - 23:29

SunGodPortal wrote:

Trying to thwart cart makers and such is a lost cause. If someone is going to charge someone $200-400 a cart for something and people are stupid enough to buy it (they are) they will find a way to make it work because of the profit margin. The only reason that hasn't been done to Puzz's IQ Test is because it's appeal is a bit too niche. Otherwise, it will happen.
Even if there is copy protection, some Chinese pirates will be dumb enough to release carts with the protection in.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 29 Apr 2016 - 23:35

Even if there is copy protection, some Chinese pirates will be dumb enough to release carts with the protection in.

LMAO

I would expect no less. Years of getting burned has taught me that "Made In China" is another way of saying "there's a good chance that this will turn out to be garbage".
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 0:46

True story, I recerived a Mr. Gimmick bootleg way back when. I was having a bad day one day until I got to the last level for the first time ever... then I triggered the copy protection that froze my game.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 10:00

If people can make flash carts that can store and play every game for a system they can do this.
They can't actually. You see the Snes hardware does not care what you plug into the system. There is even a cart with GoW and Parallel Wolrds on it, and the trigger to skip Roms is reset. There is a cart with 4 Roms of Ancient stone Tablets (Zelda3 derivat) on it, with a "hooked" saving system, so you can tranfer the srm save from one rom to another.

Yes, it seems there is no limit, but the real hardware must still recognize the code compatible to its CPU. It can recognize all possible adopted game-mappers and multiple roms at once, but it can not recognize "compressed code".

And because carters sell carts only (without the actual system) they can not adopt this hardware-wise. Hardware would need to be told to do that, which you can't, unless you redo the SNES original hardware (aka the SNES system).

I can tell you that a cart making business consists mostly out of 3 main people: carter (specialized in hardware only), photo-shop wizard (for making covers, manuals, etc) and the advertiser. All pretty much dumb when it comes to actual game modding and software.

There is actually an interview on some random guy starting the repro shop for some unknown reason. His words: I don't know any romhackers, I don't know how to communicate with them etc etc.

For a person like that to pick on my lock would be laughable. They have less than zero chance. They are just dumb and greedy. But sometimes they do get aid by actual romhacker who commits treason and joins their ranks, like in the Legend of Link for Nes, when the author, infidelity, joined with one carters, and you can thus get the cart for this game anywhere (main reason the other author of the game, Thanatos-Zero, got in conflict with his former hacking partner).

I think it is for every author to decide how to release a hack: SePH decided for full unlock with Conker, you as well with the Bruce Campbel. I'm not so generous (I was with GoW and PR), if someone carts my game (which is fine!) but then also throws F words in my face (not fine) and brags all over You tube (not fine) and promotes/advertizes the pirated site (not fine). Oh, and skipps the names of the actual authors. They even included the info on the freaking music playing in their video and who made the video-intro. Adding such hyper-trivial info and forgetting the absolut-vital info on who made the mod is one big disrespect in our face.

I was actually thinking of releasing everything unlocked - when I retire, but now that this KKK-a-like-no-hair-long-beard weirdo Undead Space Monkey you tube user/character carter/game fanatic threw F words at me (while promoting pirated GoW cart), I will go with as much locks as I can think of for any future release (out of spite).

PS
This is all off topic by the way.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 14:30; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 13:59

I think I finally understand where u are coming from. There is I'm afraid little to no respect from some cart makers.

I personally don't like the idea of them just taking games off the internet like hacks and selling them without permission.

If they asked permission and split the profits with the game creators then maybe it's not so bad but only very rarely do they do this.

I personally don't mind if cart makers make reproductions of a rare game like star fox 2 which didn't get a physical release or something that came out in Japan but not in the USA or other countries. What I do mind are the hacks and translations again with no approval of the rom hacker or author being sold with no revenue going towards the original creator of the game.

I think this happens sometimes because the creator of the hack may abandon their work online never to really care about it once released. Like some really low quality hack.

Now I tell u how I plan on combatting against the cart makers. I have posted a Mario hack of mine here. I don't know who all has played it or not but I know sungod has. Well instead of locking my hack out of real hardware I'm doing my own physical release and selling it.

I bought all the supplies and learned how to do it. Now I would never sell another authors game because I don't believe in that and I'm not a big company looking to make money. But the thing is... If I don't sell my own game someone else will and so that's why I'm going to do this.

Also I've always wanted to see a game I made have a physical release. It just feels like I accomplished something.

Also I hired a pixel artist for some of the art in my Mario hack and I need to recoup that money back somehow.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 14:32

Conker hack talk Useparagraphs%2521

Did read the posts fyi.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 15:52

And no, There is no way for you to get IQ on a cart. No real system supports Zip and Exlorom at the same time.

It doesn't have to. Someone could hack it to make it work just like how someone hacked Star Ocean so that it wouldn't need the S-DD1 chip.

I actually don't like your tone here. You know we are releasing Patches. We do not release Roms. We do this as a hobby. We are not making money. We support Fair use and Private use. Carters are doing everything in the opposite way (they are releasing roms, are making money, they don't support fair use, etc).

My point is that when someone makes an unauthorized derivative of someone else's work they have no right to be upset when someone else does the same thing to said derivative work whether money is involved or not. It's still illegal. None of us asked Nintendo for permission and none of us will because we know they wouldn't approve.

This is all off topic by the way.

I don't know why people complain about this. Forums are two-dimensional but human conversation is not. Like I always say: if four friends are sitting at a picnic table having a conversation and two start a tangent, no one expects those two to go sit at another table.

I think I finally understand where u are coming from. There is I'm afraid little to no respect from some cart makers.

Just to make sure there's no confusion, I don't respect them either.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 19:18

SunGodPortal wrote:

Just to make sure there's no confusion, I don't respect them either.
Same here; it's just that I've seen this topic way too many times and have seen the same pints gone over and over again. Discussions like this go down the line of: rom hackers get no money and do hacking as hobby while repros just profit off them illegally. The Kaizo mario court case I have not heard of actually.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 19:30

Same here; it's just that I've seen this topic way too many times and have seen the same pints gone over and over again. Discussions like this go down the line of: rom hackers get no money and do hacking as hobby while repros just profit off them illegally.

Akin to a conversation on religion.

One side: Yes it is!
The other: No it's not!

A couple of days later they run out of ways to say the same thing and no one has changed their minds.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 20:07

More like a lot of social and political issues. After a while hearing the same arguements about the issues get old real quick. When I was younger I was into it, now I wonder why certain issues like race and religion are still an issue. Recently, I just mind my own business and work on being productive instead of putting all my effort into something that won't be solved in my lifetime most likely.

On topic: I did replace some themes like the shop, ganon's lair, and rift theme and sound much better. I'm using better soundfonts this time and have them at higher pitches with crisper output. I would show them but lack a hoster.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 20:37

^ please post the new sound tracks if you can. would be nice to listen to them.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sat 30 Apr 2016 - 20:50

Alright. I upladed a .tar.gz file to a temporary file host that came second on my internet search:

https://a.uguu.se/uoswpw_NewSongs.tar.gz

The file will only be up for 24 hours so get it while you can! Hope you can extract the spcs from the .tar.gz compressed file.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 3 May 2016 - 3:55

This is a short video this time because I forgot to say something in the last video.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 13 May 2016 - 3:59

Now here are some videos. Remember this was done on real hardware.

This part is unfair since it forces the player to take a hit which is unavoidable.

This one was really strange. The game didn't want to make the hopping mechanic work. Here I just fall right through the tiles. This only happened here and later while playing it actually worked just fine. I have no idea on how this happened.

Last edited by Erockbrox on Fri 13 May 2016 - 4:11; edited 1 time in total
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 14 May 2016 - 2:40

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 14 May 2016 - 16:17

The truth is that there will be suggestions for the game most likely for the rest of the game's creation. It's just the nature of the creation process. Even after the game is "done" there will still be changes and suggestions because that's how games are made.

I understand that making this game can be frustrating and you are probably very burnt out after redoing many of the areas many times. It's okay, we all go through this phase. I got really impatient and burnt out just waiting for the game to be done. lol. However, the only thing that matters is whether or not the game is good or not at the end of the day.

When you are a little less burnt out then you can watch the video. Smile
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 14 May 2016 - 19:13

Here is a picture so you don't have to watch the video. Smile

Conker hack talk Conker%20suggestion_zpsejcstqlj

What I did was removed the spike sprites since there wasn't enough room for them and moved the pots to an unused area of the room to free up more space for the player and then made the pathway where the stairs are 8 pixels bigger by moving the first row of spikes and blocks upwards 8 pixels.

Again I understand why you don't want to look at things like this because you are most likely focused on the "big picture" and don't want to be slowed down. And its okay to ignore stuff like this for now because this is part of the fine polishing which usually comes later.

Here is something else I'm seeing. The spike graphics have been replaced with a different type of spike graphic. This looks fine as long as the spike is just a single spike, but when they are joined in a row for some reason they don't look like spikes anymore. They look more like circles to me or something.

One thing that came to my mind with this was the super mario maker spike graphics. This graphic might actually work better than the current one. When you join then in a line they don't blend together like the current one does.

Conker hack talk Seph%20suggestion%20for%20seph%20sesph%20esphsehspehspehspeh_zpsiiaj2ax3
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Mon 16 May 2016 - 2:41

Alright, here's a bunch of songs, basically all my project files:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11580256/MoreConkerSongs.zip.html

~~~Description of all the folders~~~

Conker's Dystopian World (previous): Older files
SPC Current: Newer files
Song differences of these two folders:
* Ganon's Lair
* Buy Somethin' Will Ya
* TARDIS
* Rift
Added themes of these two folders:
* Simpson's theme from bart's nightmare
* advneture game theme (temporary?)
* ending screen theme (temporary?)

These are all the differences that come to mind.

unfinished and scraps
Guess what this is!

Of course nothing is final!

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next