Conker hack talk

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Conker hack talk - Page 2 Empty Re: Conker hack talk

Post by Mr.x Mon 16 May 2016 - 3:26

Some NSFs I had laying around. The two X-naut fortress themes are an edit from some other guys ftm on the famitracker forums.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11580310/NESmusic.zip.html

Also the hack is looking snazzy! Pulling the slot machines for cash is a nice touch.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 16 May 2016 - 3:46

Also the hack is looking snazzy! Pulling the slot machines for cash is a nice touch.

And who's idea was that again....hmmm

Could it have been Erock?... maybe Smile

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Conker hack talk - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Mon 16 May 2016 - 15:53

On a side note, a new version of bsnes came out aimed for debugging:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1197/

Hope you find this useful.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 17 May 2016 - 1:17

I need to take a break for a while. Have to study for summer exams.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 20 May 2016 - 3:54

sorry for the long wall of text but sometimes you just have to get stuff of your chest

Just need to talk for a min here.

One pro about the hack is that because is rated for Adults only, it can give an sense excitement to the player because they may think to themselves "I probably shouldn't be playing this" especially if they are a kid under 18.

But this in my opinion only adds to the charm of the game. It just gives you that felling like.... yeah.

Because then if your a kid you have to hide it from your parents (well some kids) and then lets say that some kids mom finds out about the game and then she doesn't let him play it, but then he sneaks playing it when she isn't around.

You see, this all adds to the excitement of the game.

but another few things are as follows. I'm pretty tough on my evaluations about the game, but dont take it personally. I'm not perfect, but I have a pretty good sense of game design especially when it comes to dungeons so just hear me out after all this is my specialty.

also the longer and longer that this hack lasts, to me its almost as if the stakes are higher and higher the longer we work on this.

like now i have so many years invested in this project that of course im going to be boarder line physio about it.

really, we must all be slightly a little nuts working on a game for so long. and of course this is a game with no profit involved.

the creators of doom made millions, but what are we getting? we just get some strange satisfaction out of a personal hobby. however what we are doing is really an art form.

hacking a game takes a special skill set. lets say that you wanted to make a hack and you decided to pay out of pocket for a team of people to make the hack. even if the team is experienced with games that doesn't mean they will be able to hack the game of interest. there is so much specialty knowledge related to these games that you really have had to spend a lot of time with the game to know it.

and you know whats so weird about all this, all we are doing is just modifying someone else's game.

for the time period that we have worked on this a game company of the exact same size would surely have produced many games in the time it takes to make this one game.

but for what it is, its most likely going to be the best zelda 3 rom hack ever made of all time.

I don't think a new generation would make something better simply because why would they go after such a thing.

you know I got super excited when I first started this, but now its like "omg why am i still doing this?" The crazy thing is that most of my work is just designs and I hardly edit the game other than just messing around with it in HM.

and in all this time I have been continuously thinking of ideas with this game engine. why the heck did i even do such a thing? well because I wanted to make the ultimate zelda 3 hack of my own and thats what all these designs represent.

but a game like this on this level and scope is crazy goal. i honestly think that even with our team the game is an still overwhelming task.

I think we all bit off more than what we can chew so to speak. this is a big game.

i personally cannot wait to see this game finished so that i can move on from this and so something else.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 20 May 2016 - 4:00

also here is a funny.

when the game gets released...

Guy1: Wow, I don't believe it. Someone made a full zelda 3 hack.

Guy2: Really, a full one. No way.

Guy1: Way.....

Guy2: Well who made this?

Guy1: It was the same dude who made parallel worlds... remember that game?

Guy2: what... so that same guy has been working on this new hack ever since that old one... all this time???

Guy1: yeah... that dude is nuts

Guy2: man I don't know how anyone could work on the same game for... like 13 years?!?!?

Guy1: yeah there are some pretty crazy people out there.

Guy2: NEEEERRRDDDZZZ!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 25 May 2016 - 16:25

That's a total conversion I'm making, not a Zelda hack!
That's true, however this falls (for instance on Romhacking.net) under so called "complete hacks" with the base rom being Alttp. Irronically if you will try to discuss this with a repro cart maker, he/she will tell you that not only is this "just" a hack, but that it is not even your game (at least that's what I was told) and that they have every right to cart it, since no one owns Link, Zelda or Conker but the original authors. I guess they never heard of a game design copyrights vs. the character/name/franchize copyrights.

In fact if I had hard-locked all these roms and shown serious disapproval to people to remake them, there would be no Goddesses of Wisdom, no Gates of Time remodel, no Parallel Remodel and no Moegami or DarkLink using Lyra Islands as their base hacks.
Yes, however it is a difference if the games are finished or not. I would definitely not lock any unfinished games, but there is a great difference if you consider a game finished. Then it is up to the game's supervisor if he will allow further conversions or not. Leaving Conker unlocked will be a great gesture of kindness, since if you make the game of a nomal difficulty and finish it (aka not beta or bugged) there is no direct reason for remakes.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Conker hack talk - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Wed 25 May 2016 - 16:42

Trovsky wrote:Alright, here's a bunch of songs, basically all my project files:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-11580256/MoreConkerSongs.zip.html
*snip*

Trovsky wrote:Some NSFs I had laying around. The two X-naut fortress themes are an edit from some other guy's ftm on the famitracker forums.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11580310/NESmusic.zip.html
*snip*

By the by, you said you would give some input on my songs; however that post seems to be deleted. I'm busy myself, so take your time, no rush.

Also we've been over this topic with Erobrocks many-a-time before, from what I recall the same points have been made. So we are repeating ourselves. Example:

Line one:
Erobrocks wrote:XXXX can be improved.
Line two:
SePH or Puzzledude wrote:It's fine the way it is.
Line three:
Erobrocks wrote:I want this to be the best game.
Line four:
SePH wrote:It's my game, I can do what I want.
Line five: go to line one.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 25 May 2016 - 19:30

There are tons of super Mario world hacks and nobody is shutting down smwcentral. As long as we release it as a patch I think we will be fine.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 25 May 2016 - 20:24

I'm with Erock... neither anything happened to you due to PW, neither to me with bszelda. Relax, don't worry Wink
Conn
Conn

Conker hack talk - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 25 May 2016 - 22:46

Exactly if Nintendo didn't like Parallel Worlds we would already be shut down.

The only thing we need to worry about is making a good game.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 26 May 2016 - 11:46

Until today, to be honest, I do not know the legal status of bszelda. Also that guy you quotet, told his personal opinion and not facts.

What I think: St.Giga paid Nintendo to use the name "Zelda" and for the source code of AST. While bszelda1 was hacked from scratch, the code for AST is pretty much the same as for ALTTP (of course more modern, like AST already uses fastrom).

With the death of the snes, also St.Giga went bankrupt... but the copyrights of the bs games were still hold by that company. And a dead company can not claim its copyrights. But this is again only what I think and not build upon facts.

As for your hack... my suggestions is: don't drive yourself nuts! There are plenty of rom hacks for SMW and if the big N had the chance to close these sites (smw central), they had done that years ago. This tells us that providing patches without a rom is something, N can't do anything about Razz

Relax and be first aware if Super Mario Central gets closed. As long this doesn't happen, zeldix and our patches are safe. And my best guess is that this will never change Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 26 May 2016 - 16:20

And my best guess is that this will never change.
If you provide patches only, the companies usually tend to ignore or leave the sites intact. There must be a specific reason for a takedown to happen. For instance because they released Mario maker, they thought that Lunar magic and SMW hacks and video and TAS videos on You tube might hurt the sale. That's why they went after these videos and demanded those users be banned from You tube (which is still happening).
SePH, I would not worry about you releasing the Conker hack. If it is a patch, it will most likely get ignored by Nintendo and Microsoft. In the worst case scenario they will simply remove the link/site, which is hosting it (highly unlikely though). If however the Rom is uploaded, they might force the provider of the site to remove the file.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Conker hack talk - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Thu 26 May 2016 - 16:48

Downloading ROMs and playing it on an emulator is like going 1 mile per hour over the speed limit. It's illegal but there are much bigger offenders to go after. Besides, I can use my real name because I'm just a music composer Wink

Conn wrote:With the death of the snes, also St.Giga went bankrupt... but the copyrights of the bs games were still hold by that company. And a dead company can not claim its copyrights. But this is again only what I think and not build upon facts.
A wikipedia article worth reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 26 May 2016 - 18:02

If anything our conker game will inspire an official conker game to be released.

if the fans want it then the companies might make it.

the zelda conker hack could bring conker into the spotlight again and make the fans want him again.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 26 May 2016 - 19:10

Thanks Trovsky, yes I guess bszelda is such a case of abandonware. I launched the site 1999 with roms and until now nobody forced me to take these down. I hope for the sake of the fan community, that this will never change.

*lol, funny monologue ^^
Jepp, I did pretty much new items, I am glad all went into your rom. What's about the title screen update you requested?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 26 May 2016 - 20:25

I'll ask Euclid to move the corrected dialogue at the end of the rom so I can add the rest of the dialogue!

before you do this permanent thing i would like to read it as well.

Also I don't know if I want a toenail reference about me in the game. If you want to make fun on the message boards, okay, but not in a game that lots of people will play.

If you want to make a toenail joke thats fine but leave me out of it.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 29 May 2016 - 5:03

Seph, I would like a lists of your goals and your progress on these goals that you have until the end of the year.

For example:

-----------------------------------------------------------
May

Goal 1
Goal 2
Goal 3

Progress

Finished goal 1 and working on goal 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------

You have to be organized if you plan on getting this all done this year. We should know about the progress on the game so that we are all on the same page and that there are no surprises.

Thank you.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sun 29 May 2016 - 13:42

Erockbrox wrote:Seph, I would like a lists of your goals and your progress on these goals that you have until the end of the year.
Are you the CEO of Zeldix Incoorporated? If so, I'd like a raise of 10 ruppees.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Mon 30 May 2016 - 15:02

Puzzledude wrote:
Seph, I would like a lists of your goals and your progress on these goals that you have until the end of the year.
I don't think this is necessary, since you have the release date set.

We are not game developers...we are video game enthusiats and rom hacking should be for fun. When its no longerfun its about time we quit!
Exactly. Nor does it mean our games need to be completely debugged/fledged, since you always miss a thing or two (look at PW remaining small imperfections).

I always thought that agile developement was the way to go. Basically do whatever whenever without a plan set in-stone.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 30 May 2016 - 21:06

Just note that the game should be finished months before the deadline. There will be bugs, suggestions and playtesting.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Tue 31 May 2016 - 21:16

Şëph wrote:So all you need to worry about is basically nothing.
Erockbrox wrote:Just note that the game should be finished months before the deadline. There will be bugs, suggestions and playtesting.
Apparently, that's too much to ask for a certain individual. Razz

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 3:53

Trovsky wrote:I always thought that agile developement was the way to go. Basically do whatever whenever without a plan set in-stone.

Its funny you mention this as real IT workplaces hire whats known as managers to pull deadline dates out of agile devs.

Its like pulling teeth except 10x harder

Manager: so when will x be done
Dev: whenever we feel like, probably this sprint.
Manager: fine 2 weeks it is.
--- 2 weeks later ---
Manager: so is it done
Dev: no it got pushed to next sprint as we're overloaded on high priority fixes
Manager: but i promised the customer!
Dev: - _ -
Manager: tomorrow morning, demo x in front of customer
Dev: time to order pizza for dinner...
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 19:13

This is looking very promising!

I don't get though the line "Bowser, I'll get you for this Mario". Well what did mario do? And it seems like bowser is already talking to conker and then he finds out conker isn't mario. Seems like bowser would have figured out that conker isnt mario already.

I haven't played assassins creed so i might be missing some references from there, but I get the idea.

Also I honestly dont think you can look at DNA and view memories of a person yet alone view your ancestors history as well. How well are the memories preserved? Are they photographic memories? Is the quality HD at least? What if someone hit their head and forgot a bunch of memories does that mean you can recover them by looking at their DNA?

Anyway, somehow it all seems to work in the game.

As far as the scientist guy goes, I actually like the blue hair he has. Keep the blue hair and just change the indoors sprite hair color to match that of the outside sprite.

It has been stated before that this area is a little bland. Is there anything can be put into these rooms as decoration? These rooms are literally as bare as they can be. I know that you don't have a lot of tiles left either, but maybe something can be done regarding these rooms.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 3 Jun 2016 - 16:13

Here is another video talking about the hack.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next