Final Fantasy VI (J) / Final Fantasy III (US)

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Final Fantasy VI (J) /  Final Fantasy III (US) - Page 2 Empty Final Fantasy VI (J) / Final Fantasy III (US)

Dancing Mad 'Final' Beta (installer by Insidious611):
Code:
https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases

Original Thread/Installer:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16077.0

Also, 100% compatible with the Ted Woolsey Uncensor/retranslation patch.

------
Optional: Piano PCM Pack by edale:
Code:
PCM pack: https://mega.nz/file/HAp0kQwT#QA2-WGrK2KpMRkPrdpKludpkYXL_iXR4MBjAZYPExXU
Youtube Source

Optional: Final Fantasy VI (Pixel Remaster) PCMs by Brutapode, touched up by edale:
Code:
PCM pack: https://mega.nz/file/mcgyWSYJ#UrIEt7fRMZnDCLAii_wT2idRV3QK7R-jcqoX56T-5g4

Optional: Synthetic Origins PCM Pack by edale:
Code:
PCM pack: https://mega.nz/file/3JAVhZZB#9tjKzhNC7mNVJb2dsvllvfbmuHi73GW8On5uCIPP66Q
Youtube Source

----
The following patches are now included as optional components in the Installer, there's no need to download them separately:

Optional Cut Songs Restoration by Edale:
https://mega.nz/#F!PJZg1IRb!kS3ECIgKhAkc-qHWkVGRAg
(apply this after running Dancing Mad's installer)
The Cut Songs Restoration mod seamlessly reintroduces 4 songs that were cut from FFVI in development, and later released in the FFVI Special Tracks Album, without removing any of the existing tracks. Mod created by edale, with help from Insidious661 and mziab.

Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition by Rodimus Primal
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Optional FFVI Music Player by Madsiur
https://mega.nz/#!3UR0nShJ!6V6FlV9kgMGIztJ5oGjS8C1QoojhaOrxtdtqZzP5crM
This is the same as the Music Player included with the Ted Woolsey patch, but fixed to work properly with the MSU patch. Contains patches for both the normal Dancing Mad patch, and one that includes the extra songs from Edale's Cut Songs Restoration patch.

------

If using the MSU patch alongside the Brave New World patch, ONE of these PCM should be added to your PCM set, use whichever version matches the rest of your musical selection best:

The Black Mages (metal): https://mega.nz/file/eEg0RDrb#RFqDE7MXfx6TQV-RTmWnk98I5SY0GWk5mBZKMmqcjFA

Mathew Valente (Synthetic Origins): https://mega.nz/file/LQwgAR7Y#nTLVhFyVlJ7JqrZfFY8FDmbPAkInHXNLxwIAmDqKZxo

------

As of Hotfix 4, The installer will apply the MSU-1 patch to any unmodded version of the game (US 1.0, 1.1, or JP), BUT it will only let you install the optional components on a US1.0 ROM. The Ted Woolsey patch isn't compatible with the 1.1 or JP ROMs; testing is still required to see if the other 2 optional mods are compatible with a 1.1 or JP ROM, but their installation has been disabled for now to be safe.

------

Update 3/16/2020: The fileserver mirrors have been changed, if you have an older version of the installer, please grab a new copy.

Last edited by edale on Wed 26 Oct 2022 - 12:15; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
edale

Final Fantasy VI (J) /  Final Fantasy III (US) - Page 2 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Final Fantasy VI (J) / Final Fantasy III (US) :: Comments

Post Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 13:27 by alex_com

edale wrote:Battle Theme: ff3-36
The Decisive Battle (boss battle theme): ff3-20
The Fierce Battle (Atma Weapon fight): ff3-51

http://www.somebodyelsesproblem.org/ff6data/

Link is to the patch's fileserver, so you can just grab the needed tracks without having to rerun the whole installer.

Sweet! Thanks a lot! And for all the hard work put into this patch and the extra PCMs.

EDIT: I've used the Final Beta 20171108 version of Dancing mad and I am playing on SD2SNES rev.H latest firmware. I'll let you know how it goes with the other PCMs.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 13:43 by edale

alex_com wrote:Sweet! Thanks a lot! And for all the hard work put into this patch and the extra PCMs.
I've only done some of the audio work (and the cut tracks restoration mod, which isn't exactly a major hack, didn't even need to learns ASM lol), Insidious611 is the one that did the actual modding for this.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 21:26 by edale

alex_com wrote:EDIT: I've used the Final Beta 20171108 version of Dancing mad and I am playing on SD2SNES rev.H latest firmware. I'll let you know how it goes with the other PCMs.
If you're using an actual SD2SNES, and you find ANY problems, please report them on https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/issues

Neither Insidious or I have an SD2SNES, so all the testing for this has been on emulators (in my case, and Insidious' after he found out it was possible from me, most of the testing has been on a Raspberry Pi 3 hooked up to our TVs, even though the SNES emulation on that can be a bit sub-par). Feedback from an SD2SNES user would be very welcome.

*edit- Actually... Check in the SD2SNES's settings for an "MSU-1 audio boost" option, and turn it off if it's enabled.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 2:03 by alex_com

edale wrote:
If you're using an actual SD2SNES, and you find ANY problems, please report them on https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/issues

Neither Insidious or I have an SD2SNES, so all the testing for this has been on emulators (in my case, and Insidious' after he found out it was possible from me, most of the testing has been on a Raspberry Pi 3 hooked up to our TVs, even though the SNES emulation on that can be a bit sub-par). Feedback from an SD2SNES user would be very welcome.

*edit- Actually... Check in the SD2SNES's settings for an "MSU-1 audio boost" option, and turn it off if it's enabled.

The rev.H of sd2snes doesn’t need the audio boost since it was hardware fixed. Audio boost option was added by ikari to fix the MSU-1 audio problem on earlier revisions.
I’ve swapped ff3-36 pcm (from developer’s selection set) with the one from ff6 OST and the volume during battle works as intended and I can hear the sfx. I’ll try the other pcm sets when I get home from work.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 4:08 by Conn

The rev.H of sd2snes doesn’t need the audio boost since it was hardware fixed. Audio boost option was added by ikari to fix the MSU-1 audio problem on earlier revisions.
Good to know, so I can leave away how to boost in future readme:s

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 7:04 by alex_com

Conn wrote:
Good to know, so I can leave away how to boost in future readme:s

Might still be useful for the early adopters of sd2snes, since only rev.H doesn’t require the audio boost.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 13:13 by edale

alex_com wrote:The rev.H of sd2snes doesn’t need the audio boost since it was hardware fixed. Audio boost option was added by ikari to fix the MSU-1 audio problem on earlier revisions.
I’ve swapped ff3-36 pcm (from developer’s selection set) with the one from ff6 OST and the volume during battle works as intended and I can hear the sfx. I’ll try the other pcm sets when I get home from work.
I know rev.H doesn't need the audio boost, that's why I said to turn the option off if it was on, lol.

Looks like the dev option for track 36 was SSC. If you could grab a fresh version of that off the dl server and tell me if it still has the problems I can re-normalize the track if necessary, and once we get the volume normalized properly (if the -18dB it's at atm is too loud, -21dB will probably work, but EVERYTHING in the mod is at -18dB, so I'm not sure why just the one version of the one track would be different)

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 16:33 by alex_com

edale wrote:I know rev.H doesn't need the audio boost, that's why I said to turn the option off if it was on, lol.

Looks like the dev option for track 36 was SSC. If you could grab a fresh version of that off the dl server and tell me if it still has the problems I can re-normalize the track if necessary, and once we get the volume normalized properly (if the -18dB it's at atm is too loud, -21dB will probably work, but EVERYTHING in the mod is at -18dB, so I'm not sure why just the one version of the one track would be different)

Fresh copy of SSC 36 did the trick (not sure why though since I've used the latest version of the installer few days ago), also tried new copy of 20 OCR (dev option for boss battle) and it works fine.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 19:26 by edale

alex_com wrote:Fresh copy of SSC 36 did the trick (not sure why though since I've used the latest version of the installer few days ago), also tried new copy of 20 OCR (dev option for boss battle) and it works fine.
Very odd, the tracks have been normalized on the download server for over a month now...

Popped a report to Insidious on Github, so he'll look at the code and make sure it's downloading from the right source, but pretty sure he deleted the non-normalized tracks off the server entirely...

Oh, and if there's a specific version of the Opera you want to hear in-game, I've probably already converted it (I think the only one I've yet to convert is the Distant Worlds English version). So just ask and I can post a link to your desired version. Personally I'd recommend either the one already in OTH (Game Music Concert 4's version) or The Black Mages' version.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 3:49 by Insidious611

Hello hello! This is Insidious, lead developer for Dancing Mad MSU-1. Nice to see this on here and people enjoying it!

Mostly came on to respond to a bug report. It sounds like the issue alex_com is having is likely due to one of my mirrors not being up to date. I will fix that as soon as I get the chance, but basically the most likely occurence is that you got the pre-normalization version of certain tracks because the installer failed over to an alternate mirror when you had some intermittent trouble connecting to the normal one.

EDIT: Checked my own mirrors and they're up to date, so the problem is likely with the person providing a third party mirror. I'll have to prod him to make sure to sync his copy, as I don't have direct access to that.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 4:29 by alex_com

Insidious611 wrote:Hello hello! This is Insidious, lead developer for Dancing Mad MSU-1. Nice to see this on here and people enjoying it!

Mostly came on to respond to a bug report. It sounds like the issue alex_com is having is likely due to one of my mirrors not being up to date. I will fix that as soon as I get the chance, but basically the most likely occurence is that you got the pre-normalization version of certain tracks because the installer failed over to an alternate mirror when you had some intermittent trouble connecting to the normal one.

EDIT: Checked my own mirrors and they're up to date, so the problem is likely with the person providing a third party mirror. I'll have to prod him to make sure to sync his copy, as I don't have direct access to that.

Thanks Insidious and sorry for not reporting the issue on github. SNES has a special spot for me, since as a kid I had the mega drive and missed out on some great snes exclusives back in the day; having this with msu-1 audio on real hardware is a real treat and I am thankful for that.

If I want to use "Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition" patch, the correct patch order is: "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97a) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons" - music player - Dancing Mad - optional cut songs restoration ?

Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 5:14 by Insidious611

Your question has a slightly complex answer.

First, some background. Dancing Mad installer will only take an unpatched v1.0 US ROM, so if you're using the installer you need to start with a clean ROM. I did this mostly because I can't guarantee (yet) that this patch works on e.g. Japanese or v1.1 ROMs, so it was safest to be strict. As I and edale have confirmed Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition to work with Dancing Mad, I'm likely going to add the ROM patched with TWUE to the list of supported ROM hashes in the next version of the installer. Which would mean you could do things in exactly the order you just mentioned.

That said, for now, it's Dancing Mad (through the installer), then TWUE, then optionally the TWUE music player, then the Cut Songs Restoration. Honestly, since the patches have been confirmed to touch on unrelated areas of the ROM, you could *probably* apply them in any order, if it weren't for the fact my installer is strict as mentioned earlier.

If you for some reason wanted to patch things yourself without the installer (and obviously, already have the songs downloaded), the installer is a self extracting archive that has the IPS in it (open it in 7-zip), or you can pick up the IPS from the master branch of the github.

Last edited by Insidious611 on Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 5:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info, including how to get the IPS out of the installer.)

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 10:21 by edale

alex_com wrote:If I want to use "Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition" patch, the correct patch order is: "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97a) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons"  - music player - Dancing Mad - optional cut songs restoration ?

Thanks again.
A few notes about this setup.

With the listed patches, your order is fine. Like Insidious said, you can apply them in any order and things should still work. Though if using the installer for the Dancing Mad patch, you should apply that first.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1080/
This is a utility that can read 2 IPS files, and compare what they overwrite, it will then tell you if they overwrite the same hex locations in the ROM. This is a great way to check patch compatibility, but it's not flawless. For an example of how it's not flawless, I can actually use the patches you want to apply, because there is one minor incompatibility in there.

The Music Player patch actually doesn't play well with the Dancing Mad patch in one instance, when exiting the menu screen you'll hear an audible hitch in the music, because both the Dancing Mad and the Music Player patch have separate code that resets the music playing when exiting the menu. It's not game breaking, but is noticeable.

Also, the Music Player patch won't play the new tracks from my Cut Songs Restoration mod (although now that I think of it, maybe I can get in contact with the Music Player mod's coder, and get a version compiled with my tracks added, and maybe the exiting the menu bit removed as well).

And it would actually be a good idea to apply the Dancing Mad patch before any other patches for another reason entirely than just the CRC check on the Dancing Mad installer.

In the case that there actually is an incompatibility between the MSU patch and whatever else you're trying to apply, If the MSU patch is applied first, then the worst that should happen is the audio doesn't work properly is some/all parts of the game, and usually this will just cause it to revert to the default SPC audio; whereas if the MSU patch overwrites a different patch that uses those hex locations in the ROM for something gameplay related... It can break the entire game, potentially even corrupting your save files.

My Cut Songs Restoration mod is as minimalist as I could make it, every change is a 1 byte change to the specific hex location the song ID for an area is called from (either coded into the map itself, or embedded in event code). It should be compatible with any mod that doesn't change the default songs, move where the map data is stored, or play with the event code in South Figaro (related to Shadow's bit), Mobliz's event code (related to WoR events, even though my code only changes WoB music), and Nikeah's event code (probably linked to Edgar's scenes in WoR). Though my patch will ONLY work in conjunction with the Dancing Mad MSU patch, as there's no SPC audio in the track locations I mapped the new tracks to, you'll just get silence in the areas the new tracks should play.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 31 Dec 2017 - 3:34 by Insidious611

Re: that last bit, it is potentially possible, though not particularly attractive to me personally, to reimplement those cut tracks as SPC code and add them into the empty slots in the SPC track table.

I'm not certain it's worth it though because if you're going to be making that much of a change to the game musicwise you might as well just use the MSU-1, unless you absolutely must have compatibility with a real system without an SD2SNES flashcart.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 31 Dec 2017 - 6:42 by edale

Insidious611 wrote:Re: that last bit, it is potentially possible, though not particularly attractive to me personally, to reimplement those cut tracks as SPC code and add them into the empty slots in the SPC track table.

I'm not certain it's worth it though because if you're going to be making that much of a change to the game musicwise you might as well just use the MSU-1, unless you absolutely must have compatibility with a real system without an SD2SNES flashcart.
Yea, but that would require actually coding the songs into SPC, something WAAAAAAAAY beyond my skills (and I'm not nearly musically inclined enough to manage it, I can't even read sheet music).

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 9 Jan 2018 - 20:53 by edale

Another nice little addition to the Dancing Mad patch here:
https://mega.nz/#!3UR0nShJ!6V6FlV9kgMGIztJ5oGjS8C1QoojhaOrxtdtqZzP5crM

This is a modified version of Madsiur's FFVI Music Player patch, or more accurately 2 different modified versions of his patch.

Dancing Mad version: The 'exiting the main menu' music resume code from Madsiur's original patch has been removed, as it caused a conflict with a bit of code in the Dancing Mad patch that served the same function. Some of the tracks have been adjusted to match changes made in the Dancing Mad patch (things like getting all 4 parts of Dancing Mad to play the PCM tracks and removing the SPC versions from the list). This was created using using the code from the Ted Woolsey version of the patch to maintain full compatibility with the Ted Woolsey Uncensor patch.

Cut Songs Restoration version: Same as above, but with the 4 songs from my Cut Songs Restoration mod added into the song list.

Each patch has 3 options:

Menu: The music player will show up on the main menu screen.

Config1: The music player will replace the "mono" option for the mono/stereo selection (mono disabled)

Config2: The music player will show up on the bottom of the first page of the config screen.

NOTE: If installing Dancing Mad + Ted Woolsey Uncensor + the 'Menu' version of the music player, patch you MUST apply the music player AFTER the Ted Woolsey patch, not before. This only applies to the main menu version (this is due to a compatibility issue with the 255 clock mod included in the Ted Woosley patch).

A big thanks go out to Madsiur for coding this.

This is likely to be added to the Dancing Mad installer at a future point.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Jan 2018 - 21:06 by Conn

Edale, I made you the author of the first post in this thread, means you should be able to directly edit it yourself with your update news Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 10 Jan 2018 - 4:31 by edale

All your thread are belong to me! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 11:38 by darthvaderx

A question:

Does the Madsiur's FFVI Music Player patch already have the optional FF3us Sound and SFX fixes for Ted Woolsey's Uncensor music player included? (command_F6_sfx.ips, lr_tunnel.ips and caves_and_cliff.ips)

Last edited by darthvaderx on Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 18:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 13:51 by edale

darthvaderx wrote:A question:

Does the Madsiur's FFVI Music Player patch already have the optional FF3us Sound and SFX fixes for Ted Woolsey's Uncensor music player included? (command_F6_sfx.ips, lr_tunnel.ips, and caves_and_cliff.ips)
I'm not sure, but in my testing I did get to at least one of the areas that had a bug (returner's base/lete river) and it seemed to be gone.

If you do run into one of the bugs from the music player patch, you can apply the fixes from the Ted Woolsey patch to fix them (please let me know if this is needed).

Back to top Go down

smokemonster

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 17:13 by smokemonster

This is a bit confusing. Could the patches be combined in a way that there is only one patch required?

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 18:32 by edale

smokemonster wrote:This is a bit confusing. Could the patches be combined in a way that there is only one patch required?
Which patches are you talking about combining exactly?

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 24 Jan 2018 - 21:57 by edale

smokemonster wrote:This is a bit confusing. Could the patches be combined in a way that there is only one patch required?
Well, you never got back to me on which patches you wanted to combine, but I can say that the next release of the Dancing Mad patch installer should have the extra patches included as optional components, so patching some/all of the patches will be much simpler.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 22 Feb 2018 - 23:59 by edale

New version of Dancing Mad's 'final' beta is here!

To quote Insidious611:

The biggest new inclusions are two new music sources:

Eiko Nichols' "Final Fantasy VI Acoustic Rendition" (will go under the abbreviation "FFAR")
https://ayco.bandcamp.com/album/final-fantasy-vi-acoustic-rendition

ChrystalChameleon's "Final Fantasy VI Orchestrated" (will go under the abbreviation "CRC")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BxsLMvj7o&list=PLdYEU9SXADalemHUSvDg52eVpDalwzkBD

As well as the ability to optionally apply any of the following:

- the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition patch
- edale's Cut Songs Restoration patch
- Madsiur's Music Player (either the Dancing Mad or Cut Songs Restoration version, depending on whether or not you choose to apply edale's CSR patch)

Other big changes (honestly the lion's share of the work) are under the hood and have already been completed. The installer now uses a much easier to maintain data format, enabling me to add new sources and mirrors with ease. I've added an Amazon AWS S3 store as a emergency fallback mirror. I would please ask anybody downloading the PCM files directly to *avoid* this mirror as I will be charged for bandwidth used, I want to leave it as a way to get the data guaranteed in case any of my other mirrors, for which I'm not charged for bandwidth usage, go down.

My recommended selection of songs (the Developer's Recommendation, or what's always been referred to internally as the Sid Selection) has also changed drastically for the new version.
ChrystalChameleon's tracks are REALLY good, and have possibly the best version of Dark World ever made.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 15 Mar 2018 - 8:03 by edale

So I spent a few days trying to figure out how to record video of gameplay at 720p/60fps so I could upload some videos of the opera in the MSU-1 mod, before finally giving up on various emulator's built-in video recorders, and got pointed to OBS Studio by Insidious.

A few hours playing with the settings and practicing my google-fu to get everything recording and encoded properly, and I come to share the boon of my labor.

View at 720p/60 to listen without an audio fidelity decrease from Youtube's re-encoding, text is the updated opera text from TWUE 2.0:

Final Fantasy VI Original Sound Version Remastered album's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/TCyd8STWwtE
This is currently included in the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod under the OST listing.
There's a slight fidelity increase, but overall you might as well use the SPC audio, it sounds the same.

Game Music Concert 4's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/4xo5oQWjXP8
This is the one currently included in the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod under the OTH listing.

The Black Mages' version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/pqk7bKMCPj8
https://mega.nz/#!KJRGVKKK!7z_LdxBntuB7EoXA2Z42dN-XO8eokvWH8Ny9PkuUPsY
This is probably my favorite version of the opera for multiple reasons.
-The narration is voiced, although it's too fast to be matched up to the on-screen lyrics.
-When racing to Ultros, the battle between Ralse and Draco, complete with spoken dialog, continues.
-The Black Mages is led by the lead music designer from FFVI.
-First version of the Opera to ever be released in its entirety, allowing fans to find out how it was supposed to end if Ultros/Setzer didn't interfere.
-Electric Guitar. Enough said.

More Friends: Music from Final Fantasy album's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/aM407Oxzsew
https://mega.nz/#!nYREHQTL!FuvrBjtOhUOChpa8KeAonCukCRtYG9NZzNu0uDPBsIE
-English.

And those are all the versions of the Opera I've converted so far.

*edit:

Distant Worlds version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/dIn5t4TGv3w
https://mega.nz/#!CUR2iLRb!X2H5KQVbq6_dqGmE6KveKvf_UGNfVVRYAUYezdjjRw0
-English.

So I converted another one.

And with that, I've converted every professionally done voiced version of the opera I'm aware of (I won't touch the Balance and Ruin remix album's version with a 10-foot pole, as far as inclusion in the actual game goes, NOTHING matches up).

If anyone knows of another performance of the FULL Opera (not just the Aria) that I haven't converted, let me know.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next