MSU-1 Volume Fix, The Second Wave

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: MSU-1 Volume Fix, The Second Wave

Post by niuus on Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 15:53

qwertymodo wrote:Pretty sure that was just a bug in Snes9x, nothing to do with the hack.  I had a similar skip occurring in Chrono Trigger.  Should be fixed now.
Yep, i know. Hence why i pointed Snes9x. It goes away if you load the game a second time in a row, it's the first load that screws up (and pops like hell).

niuus
Newcomer

Since : 2016-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by darknior on Thu 19 Oct 2017 - 13:28

Woaw it is really cool to continue to work on patch to make them better Smile

And it is sooooo cool to fix Volume, so many games have music to hight and we don't listen the game. Thanks

darknior
Leever
Leever

Since : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameFoxx on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 5:34

I've been testing out TMNT IV on my sd2snes. Maybe it's just me, but for my money it still seems like it is too loud. I can barely hear any sound effects over the music.

TheGameFoxx
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 20:18

Oh, I remember playtesting TMNT, it was difficult to set a good volume because by default, the songs are in fact very loud.

Having set it too low made my ears to believe I "killed" the guitar in those songs, so yeah, I kinda adjusted those songs following a loud pattern to preserve their frantic ^^''

But I haven't considered the SD2SNES edge case, so I'm gonna experiment a little bit with them once again Wink

However, could you tell which hardware revision of the SD2SNES you are using? And if some of the boosting options are being used?
Colines
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameFoxx on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 20:29

I have cpu revision 2, ppu1 revision 1, ppu2 revision 3. Firmware version 0.1.7e. I am not using any audio boosting options for the msu tracks.

TheGameFoxx
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 14:44

I think there are maybe also other sets needing revision.

I never played it to certify with experience but DKC2 is also sounding partly a bit too loud in comparison to the SFX when watching the video:

https://youtu.be/7gXHtXn6bGA
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster on Wed 7 Feb 2018 - 15:02

TheGameFoxx, he is asking for your SD2SNES revision--it should be a letter, like F or G, printed on the PCB. Without this info, you can't diagnose volume issues with MSU-1 hacks, since volume levels have changed with each SD2SNES revision.
smokemonster
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Wed 7 Feb 2018 - 21:02

I went for DKC2 the easy way for now and added a dk2_msuMattrizzle_lowVolume.ips
that adjusts $2006 to #$60 instead of former #$FF
Dunno whether anybody is going to normalize the tracks better some time in the future, but until then it fixes the issue.

https://www.zeldix.net/t1445-donkey-kong-country-2#21218

For turtles, this is also possible: open your ~patched~ rom in a hex editor, go to address 0x0788b (Press Ctrl+G, insert 0x0788b) you find the hex value FF there, change it to 60 and you have lower volume when you load it on your sd card afterwards. If nobody wants to normalize the pcm:s this is not the cleanest, but the best way to fix this issue fast.
If wished, I could create also a second patch or whatever for turtles, similar like I did for DKC2 - but it would be better if the pcm:s are normalized instead of providing 2 patches with one being the outdated 60 volume level, hope Colines is going for it Smile
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameFoxx on Wed 7 Feb 2018 - 21:21

My apologies, i didnt realise i had to open my cart for that info. Looks like its revision H mk II, whatever that means. As for what conn was saying, as patch would be preferred. I don't know the first thing about hex editing, but beggars cant be choosers i guess.

TheGameFoxx
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines on Thu 8 Feb 2018 - 2:54

Done!! Sorry for taking so long, had to set up an entire machine from the ground up for the task.

I though emuandco already had normalized the DKC2 tracks? Gonna take a look at them, long ago I was planning to normalize those tracks too, but somehow I truly ended believing emuandco had fixed them X|

Anyway, here it is TMNT4! Same link as in the first page ;-)

Code:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-G62GDNCoK0WUM4ZFIydWRkN3c

Please, tell me if it's still loud! This one is tough to get right, the SPC in-game songs are also loud, but maybe for some psychological effect, the MSU-1 songs simply don't mix very well with the SFX...

TheGameFoxx, he is asking for your SD2SNES revision--it should be a letter, like F or G, printed on the PCB. Without this info, you can't diagnose volume issues with MSU-1 hacks, since volume levels have changed with each SD2SNES revision.

Haha! Thanks for pointing that out! Boy, I totally missed he hasn't said his SD2SNES revision, when it was mentioned no boosting option were used and the songs were still loud, I just assumed it was the H rev Razz

I could create also a second patch or whatever for turtles, similar like I did for DKC2 - but it would be better if the pcm:s are normalized instead of providing 2 patches with one being the outdated 60 volume level, hope Colines is going for it
https://www.zeldix.net/t1339-msu-1-volume-fix-the-second-wave#19832 Very Happy
Colines
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Thu 8 Feb 2018 - 5:28

Awesome, I updated:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1443-tmnt-iv-turtle-in-time#21216

Deja vu? Confused

Also thanks for looking into DKC2 Very Happy
Maybe he fixed them, but I tried yesterday (with my mirror, but EmuandCo's are the same) and I still considered them too loud. But this is also a matter of taste I guess. When I tried with 60, they appeared perfect to me.
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameFoxx on Thu 8 Feb 2018 - 18:04

Colines wrote:Done!! Sorry for taking so long, had to set up an entire machine from the ground up for the task.

I though emuandco already had normalized the DKC2 tracks? Gonna take a look at them, long ago I was planning to normalize those tracks too, but somehow I truly ended believing emuandco had fixed them X|

Anyway, here it is TMNT4! Same link as in the first page ;-)

Code:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-G62GDNCoK0WUM4ZFIydWRkN3c

Please, tell me if it's still loud! This one is tough to get right, the SPC in-game songs are also loud, but maybe for some psychological effect, the MSU-1 songs simply don't mix very well with the SFX...

Haha! Thanks for pointing that out! Boy, I totally missed he hasn't said his SD2SNES revision, when it was mentioned no boosting option were used and the songs were still loud, I just assumed it was the H rev Razz

I could create also a second patch or whatever for turtles, similar like I did for DKC2 - but it would be better if the pcm:s are normalized instead of providing 2 patches with one being the outdated 60 volume level, hope Colines is going for it
https://www.zeldix.net/t1339-msu-1-volume-fix-the-second-wave#19832 Very Happy

It still seems like the sound drowns out the sfx, its weird but it doesnt seem like it made any difference? i repatched my rom and redownloaded the music files and everything.

TheGameFoxx
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameFoxx on Thu 8 Feb 2018 - 18:11

I think the wrong link might of been posted. the google drive still says it was last updated in 2017? and it only links to the patch, not the music files? im confused...

TheGameFoxx
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum