Super Mario World MSU+

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 3 Empty Super Mario World MSU+

Description:
This patch is in contrast to Conn's hack compatible to most patches offered at SMW Central. Furthermore, Luigi has a different speech and the overworld has different themes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Patch:
Download

Unofficial:
Download (SA-1 Restored)

PCM Sets:
PCM set by Colines/Kiddo
YouTube Preview

JUD6MENT SMW+ Orchestral PCM Set v.2 (updated June 6th, 2022)
Mirror Link Download
YouTube Preview

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Super Mario World Odyssey Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

3D-World version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Turning Off Custom SFX / OW Music:

If there is a wish to disable either Mario/Luigi speech or the OW Music feature, please refer to the ASM file for such. Do note that for changes to take effect, you need to assemble the file right into the ROM image with Alcaro's Asar:
Code:
!LuigiSFX = !True ; !True = Activate alternative SFX songs for Player 2, !False = No alternative SFX songs for both players
!OWMusic = !True ; !True = Activate OW Music patch by smkdan, !False = Deactivate multiple songs on Overworld

IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: There is 3 different MSU-1 patches for Super Mario World that each accomplish slightly different thing. Each set has PCM sets that are designed for that specific patch. Do not mix PCM sets with the wrong patch. For quick links to the other SMW MSU-1 patch pages, follow links below:
SMW Original MSU-1 https://www.zeldix.net/t1436-super-mario-world#21209
SMW MSU-1 Plus Ultra https://www.zeldix.net/t2535-super-mario-world-msu-1-plus-ultra-130-tracks-total

Last edited by Colines on Fri 12 Mar 2021 - 15:49; edited 5 times in total
Colines
Colines

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Super Mario World MSU+ :: Comments

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 11:04 by SuperFeistyFox

So I got to test the newest update of the SA-1 + MSU-1 patch on my FXPak Pro and there's a 1 second delay before each song plays, and there's a bug upon exiting the Forest of Illusion into the main Overworld where the Overworld SPC theme plays instead of the Overworld PCM and causes music overlapping when going to different worlds on the map.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 11:55 by Conn

Does it also happen on emulator?

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 11:59 by SuperFeistyFox

The SPC bug does, and it's from exiting a world such as the Ice World or Forest of Illusion into the main overworld. There's no 1 second music delay on emulator though (tested on SNES9X).

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 12:03 by Conn

I'll try to look into the music bug, keep in mind I'm not the author though - but colines seems to be tired as well...

This forest illusion bug does not happen on the patch without SA1, right?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 12:22 by Conn

Oh, I also need your srm, since it is sa-1, the saving is different, so I cannot use that from zophar or whatever (srm, not a freeze savestate) - please attach it zipped. Thanks Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 13:32 by SuperFeistyFox

Here you go.
Attachments
Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 3 Attachment
smw_msu1.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(15 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 14:49 by Conn

mmh, it seems I cannot reproduce your bug... do I do everything right?

https://streamable.com/s9xqib

It is possible that you do not have a complete pcm set. The overworld music is different in some region (but sound nearly alike). Colines maybe knows more, I can't recall which ones. Probably you have a buggy spc fallback because the pcm is not found.

Best is you download a plus pcm set that has complete tracks maybe and try again?

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 15:11 by SuperFeistyFox

Actually, I was using the newly restored PCM set by The Brickster, which is incomplete, and I wasn't using any substitutes. Let me try adding from another set.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 15:19 by SuperFeistyFox

Yeah, I did not realize there were so many PCMs that were different versions of the overworld theme. So it's not really an SPC bug. There is still the matter of a 1 second delay before the music starts on the FXPak Pro though. I will double check with a complete PCM set to be sure.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 16:11 by Conn

Good it is resolved. There's something not right with the spc fallback and people need for this reason a full pcm pack.

Problem with sd2snes: a msu track needs to be loaded, which takes time, while you have it on emu immediately.
I usually hook the nmi to check whether the track is loaded (60 times/second), so in my patches it plays milliseconds after it is loaded.
Colines probably used another hook which is executed only 1 time/second, I guess. You need to talk to him to make a revision of his patch...
You can verify this assumption with testing the non-sa1 pacth, it also should have the one second delay.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Tue 9 Mar 2021 - 21:18 by Colines

Correct, I moved the hijack to the game's main loop in order to save some V-Blank time (more time to upload e.g. graphics), which is also called every frame...

As for the SPC fallback oddity, if the same problem is confirmed to be present on the normal MSU+ version (it shouldn't, I programmed the patch to completely disable the MSU-1 on the main overworld if SPC fallback takes place to avoid overlapping), I'll look into it immediately.

Alternatively, you may assembler the ASM file with Multiple Overworld Songs feature disabled  Smile

Sorry for being indifferent to the SA-1 version, that's mostly due to the fact I find it pointless for the vanilla SMW levels, and more useful for rom hacking only (Fastrom addressing is more than enough to make up for the slowdown present in the game)

Plans to get back working on SA-1 won't be happening in the near time, I'm afraid. (It's gonna take a while to get on par with code I wrote 6 years ago). Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 3:49 by Conn

Plans to get back working on SA-1 won't be happening in the near time, I'm afraid. (It's gonna take a while to get on par with code I wrote 6 years ago). Crying or Very sad
Tell me my life Crying or Very sad

It however should be updated one day with
- standard volume FF (and then updating the pcm packs with lower volume)
- Sa-1 compatibility without multiple patches (the adjustment is really not difficult, one patch is all we need)
- spc fallback (if it bugs)

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 9:30 by Colines

To be fair, the multiple patches is pretty much easy to be handled by everyone, here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ALJiTQ9hSZyC6%2DQ&cid=781DEB0B600A14D3&id=781DEB0B600A14D3%21762&parId=781DEB0B600A14D3%21729&o=OneUp

Code:
============================================================================================= =Configuration == Configuration == Configuration == Configuration == Configuration == Configuration == Configuration= =============================================================================================

!Emulator = !False     ;Ignore this one, it's legacy, and should never be turned on unless using old PCM packs
!LuigiSFX = !True
!OWMusic = !True

The stuff related to the Multiple OW Songs and alternate SFX for Luigi were added just to show off the MSU-1 audio capabilities, and I was aware it could not be suitable for other PCM packs that just wanted a more traditional experience, while at the same time enjoying the overall gameplay improvements.

So, by just setting these to !False in the ASM file, and using Asar to assemble it on top of an already patched ROM, changes will take effect right after and won't crash anything.
This way, you don't need to rebuild the entire ROM from scratch Smile

About the thing with FF... I really want to update the PCM assets first, so there is at least one PCM base pack for reference (that includes the OW/SFX tracks). But as always, if someone steps in first and provides a fully normalized pack with all base tracks, a new patch will be released with it.

To be honest, I'm just waiting for an excuse to touch the code and start creating the new tracks, so if this SPC fallback bug is confirmed to happen on the normal MSU+ version... Yeah, time to get my hands dirty Laughing

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 16:23 by Conn

I'll leave the progress completely up to you Wink
If you intent to revise your patch, I am sure Relikk will help to adjust all the packs to a lower volume and reupload (I of course will also help both in code and pcm processing/rehosting).

All you need to do is shooting the start bullet.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 18:01 by Colines

Conn wrote:All you need to do is shooting the start bullet.
I've kinda did it already... 4 years ago  Crying or Very sad
https://www.zeldix.net/t1339-msu1-volume-fix-the-second-wave

For the sake of having a PCM pack normalized for the native patch, most of the tracks were normalized, missing only the OW Songs and SFX set, which I never gotten around.

The spots in the map chosen to play different tracks are entirely based on XoC's SMW remix tracks, as I really wanted to include all of his OW renditions.  Very Happy

The SFX was all done randomly, though. Unfortunately, the PCM tracks hosted at my onedrive folder had their volume boosted beyond reparation, so ideally, it should be best to redo them from source (as I did with the first batch of the normalization).

Also, if anyone could just confirm if the SPC fallback bug happens on the normal version, that would be great. Smile

However, there is a catch: In case the SPC and MSU track overlap, please wait a moment and see if the SPC track eventually fades away. This is the expected behavior, as the NSPC engine for SMW doesn't have a command to immediately stop a track, just a fade command. (This also happens on the native patch)

The bug will be indeed confirmed if the SPC track keeps playing alongside the MSU-1.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 18:46 by Conn

ok, I'll talk to relikk tomorrow which strategy is best to normalize all pcm sets to FF.
We only rehost those finished pcm sets,
PCM Sets:
PCM set by Colines/Kiddo
YouTube Preview

SMW+ Orchestra PCM Tracks presented by JUD6MENT
YouTube Preview

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com
YouTube Preview

Super Mario World Odyssey Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com
YouTube Preview

3D-World version by snes-forever.blogspot.com
YouTube Preview
probably simply with this tool:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2068-msu-1-re-normalization-lower-pcm-volume.
So then at least no emu version of your patch isn't necessary anymore. One day we should also check zelda 3, there are still some sets overboosted (I think that from retromancer for sure, but most likely also some others from the very beginning of our msu patching---tragedy.

Also, if anyone could just confirm if the SPC fallback bug happens on the normal version, that would be great.
I think you need to specify which tracks to delete from the set (the additional overworld tracks). SuperFeistyFox hit this bug by accident since these weren't part of his testing set. I myself have no sd2snes and cannot help here Smile

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Wed 10 Mar 2021 - 19:32 by Colines

Readme:

Code:
=============== Extended Music Index ===============

smw_msu1-42.pcm - Player Down (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-43.pcm - Game Over (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-44.pcm - Fortress Clear (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-45.pcm - Course Clear (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-46.pcm - Invincible / Starman (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-47.pcm - Butter Bridge (OW Music)
  smw_msu1-48.pcm - Soda Lake (OW Music)
  smw_msu1-49.pcm - Secret Exit! / Into Keyhole (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-50.pcm - Fade Out! / Zoom In (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-51.pcm - Cookie Mountain (OW Music)
  smw_msu1-52.pcm - Chocolate Island (OW Music)
  smw_msu1-53.pcm - Bonus Game Clear (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-54.pcm-59.pcm - Unused
  smw_msu1-60.pcm - Bowser Defeated (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-61.pcm - Princess Peach is Rescue (Luigi)
  smw_msu1-62.pcm-73.pcm - Unused
  smw_msu1-74.pcm - Card List (Luigi)

Tracks 47, 51 and 52 should suffice. Then just hang out around the Overworld, walk through both bridges, on top of Vanilla Dome, go back and forth from Ludwig's Castle and Chocolate Island, etc

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 3:45 by Conn

I tested by deleting these tracks, tested in forest illusion and I cannot find a bug on emulator/sa-1. I am sure this bug will happen also on FXPak though in the normal version (however superfeistyfox or whoever would need to test). I think the spc fallback works in case the track is immediately there but not if it is delayed (busy flag).

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 13:16 by Conn

@SuperFeistyFox:
can you try to replicate the bug you reported (both playing spc/msu in forest of Illusion) with the normal (not sa-1) patch on sd2snes? You may need an incomplete pcm set like you initially had when encountering the bug (delete tracks 42-74).

It would be awesome if you can record it.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 14:20 by Colines

If you are able to reproduce the music overlap (SPC/MSU), please make sure to also wait a few seconds, the SPC song is supposed to fade out after a while. That's the expected behavior.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 14:35 by SuperFeistyFox

Conn wrote:@SuperFeistyFox:
can you try to replicate the bug you reported (both playing spc/msu in forest of Illusion) with the normal (not sa-1) patch on sd2snes? You may need an incomplete pcm set like you initially had when encountering the bug (delete tracks 42-74).

It would be awesome if you can record it.

Sure. I'll see what I can do about it.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 15:11 by SuperFeistyFox

So, I test the MSU only patch on Emu so far with the incomplete PCM set I had before and the same situation of the SPC fading out as PCM starts playing occurs. This was the same as with the SA-1 patch.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 15:29 by Colines

... the same situation of the SPC fading out as PCM starts playing occurs. This was the same as with the SA-1 patch.
That's great to hear!!!!
So there is no bug on both standard and SA-1 versions.  Very Happy

As stated earlier, Nintendo didn't program any "stop" command into the SPC engine, only a "fade out" command. Whenever you leave a SPC room right into a PCM one, the MSU track starts playing as the SPC fades out.

Unless SPC700 hacking is employed, there is nothing to be done about.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 15:34 by Conn

good to know, if you nevertheless wanting to make a revision of your patch (nmi hook, SA1, FF standard)... Relikk is already on it to lower the volume, so global standard is FF (means the emu version isn't needed, "my" SA-1 compatible is already on FF exclusive) Smile

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 11 Mar 2021 - 21:06 by Colines

I can't really see a compeling reason to move the hijack back to NMI, as the main loop is called every frame and the 1 second delay doesn't seem to be that much frustrating (does it also happen on the standard MSU+ version?), let alone the fact that SD Card speeds or whatever other variables may have an impact on that too.

When a normalized PCM pack is available, a new patch with FF will be issued. Although this pretty much means every other pack with boosted volumes will be deprecated Crying or Very sad
Sorry guys, my bad~ Archery

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding SA-1, first I would like to finish incomplete code I have laying around pertinent to adding various random voices to Mario/Luigi before going back to it.

That won't happen anytime soon.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next