Super Mario World MSU+

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 2 Empty Super Mario World MSU+

Description:
This patch is in contrast to Conn's hack compatible to most patches offered at SMW Central. Furthermore, Luigi has a different speech and the overworld has different themes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Patch:
Download

Unofficial:
Download (SA-1 Restored)

PCM Sets:
PCM set by Colines/Kiddo
YouTube Preview

JUD6MENT SMW+ Orchestral PCM Set v.2 (updated June 6th, 2022)
Mirror Link Download
YouTube Preview

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Super Mario World Odyssey Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

3D-World version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Turning Off Custom SFX / OW Music:

If there is a wish to disable either Mario/Luigi speech or the OW Music feature, please refer to the ASM file for such. Do note that for changes to take effect, you need to assemble the file right into the ROM image with Alcaro's Asar:
Code:
!LuigiSFX = !True ; !True = Activate alternative SFX songs for Player 2, !False = No alternative SFX songs for both players
!OWMusic = !True ; !True = Activate OW Music patch by smkdan, !False = Deactivate multiple songs on Overworld

IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: There is 3 different MSU-1 patches for Super Mario World that each accomplish slightly different thing. Each set has PCM sets that are designed for that specific patch. Do not mix PCM sets with the wrong patch. For quick links to the other SMW MSU-1 patch pages, follow links below:
SMW Original MSU-1 https://www.zeldix.net/t1436-super-mario-world#21209
SMW MSU-1 Plus Ultra https://www.zeldix.net/t2535-super-mario-world-msu-1-plus-ultra-130-tracks-total

Last edited by Colines on Fri 12 Mar 2021 - 13:49; edited 5 times in total
Colines
Colines

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 2 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Super Mario World MSU+ :: Comments

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 13:11 by VVV18

Hello good afternoon...

These two links are out ...

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Super Mario World Odyssey Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 14:36 by Conn

Links should be fixed, thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 17:29 by JUD6MENT

Geez, for a moment i was worried it was me again.....

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 24 Jan 2021 - 9:31 by VVV18

Conn wrote:Links should be fixed, thanks Smile

Thanks Conn, 100% links

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 24 Jan 2021 - 9:59 by Conn

It was on a Google drive and I have no idea who hosted them. It happened more frequently in last time that pcm were removed, so all we can do is rehosting them elsewhere. It is possible that more sets are affected but people surely will report broken links. Luckily we have dozens alternatives, e.g.
https://www.guru99.com/free-cloud-storage.html

Just a fake mail address is required (e.g. protonmail or something allows anonymous registration), and there we go.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 4 Feb 2021 - 7:55 by supermeiaman

So, there is a bunch of guys that used the Gigaleak info to pinpoint the source samples and restore more or less 1:1 the soundtrack, just without the inherent limitations of the 16bit soundchip. They call themselves The SMW Restored Project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyN7qOFyG9Q&list=PLD-vbw8Jmuyg3JYDxm1QPPj1mP3soOVEx&index=6
So is there a way to make a PCM set out of it?

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 4 Feb 2021 - 7:58 by Relikk

Being discussed at the link below, also...

https://www.zeldix.net/t2226-will-anyone-be-working-on-an-msu-1-set-using-the-super-mario-world-restored-project

If anyone can provide me with the lossless originals then I'd happily put it together.

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Thu 4 Feb 2021 - 7:59 by JUD6MENT

supermeiaman wrote:So, there is a bunch of guys that used the Gigaleak info to pinpoint the source samples and restore more or less 1:1 the soundtrack, just without the inherent limitations of the 16bit soundchip. They call themselves The SMW Restored Project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyN7qOFyG9Q&list=PLD-vbw8Jmuyg3JYDxm1QPPj1mP3soOVEx&index=6
So is there a way to make a PCM set out of it?

Relikk is on it. We are actually talking about this in another post. Do you have a link to download the tracks so we do not have to youtube rip them?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 17 Feb 2021 - 0:34 by Conn

This is a secret to everyone... want to say: only Colines can answer that. I think the native patch (not msu+) is compatible with sa1, but I am not sure either.
https://www.zeldix.net/t1436-super-mario-world-native

I put some merged patches in a subfolder of the msu+ (polargames posted), but this bugs on sd2snes I think (though emulator is fine).

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Wed 17 Feb 2021 - 14:05 by Colines

SA-1 for SMW MSU-1 was conceived back in 2015. At the time, the SA-1 Pack was buggy, and hadn't propper hardware support, as there wasn't any way to test it on a real SNES.

Therefore, I couldn't test it properly, as explained here. Things that went untested was the busy flag (I think I removed it entirely, since emulators don't suffer from seek time, and an SA-1 flashcart didn't exist), and some other MSU+ features, which ones I didn't bother to further improve, as no real way to play it on real hardware existed back then.

It's very likely this prototype works acceptably, though not as polished as I intended, as well as missing proper coding to support the newly SA-1 flashcarts that surfaced over the years!

If people give it a try and report bugs, I may take a look once more in the patch, and finish what was left. Of course, if someone takes the initiative first, be welcome to do so!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 17 Feb 2021 - 14:30 by Conn

I tried to look in the ips you once compiled but it is already merged with fastrom as far I can tell... so I looked into your asm but do not dare to recompile (it is also a bit outdated since e.g., volume is set to 80 for emu, while the standard is FF since sd2snes boost.

Polargames threw some days ago a merged SA-1 + MSU1 patch which I added to the patch file (he said it is blessed by you):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bvd9hN_LY0msUqjwwwzivIjVUyMfh7Rf/view?usp=sharing
(Subfolder Super Mario World_msu1_sa1.sfc, file: smw_MSU1_SA1_v1.4.bps)
however this also gives some problems (badcat on discord, msu tech support):

badcat12.02.2021
I'm having trouble with the sa-1 patch.  I'm using super nt and sd2snes pro, both w/ the latest firmware.  1st time i started, it played the default audio.  then i went to the super nt menu to verify "cartridge audio enabled" - it was.  then suddenly the msu1 starts playing OVER the default audio.  I hit the reset button and then no audio plays.  I turn the super nt on and off, and now i'm back at the default audio.(Bearbeitet)
[03:07]
I discover if i pause the game, when i unpause it begins playing the msu1 music.
[03:08]
i went down a pipe and now it's making a terrible fart noise
[03:08]
pausing and unpausing resumes the msu1 music
[03:12]
i'm gonna try the non-sa1 patch and see if it is better
[03:14]
yeah, the original smw patch i used w/ other pcm sets works much better for me
[03:18]
but... when i return the overworld, the fart noise is back.  so both versions are not good for me
i'll retest some other msu1 stuff and see if it's broken
maybe the sd2snes pro firmware i'm on is no good for msu1
[03:25]
i'll try repatching and see what happens

badcat12.02.2021
Hmm. the Readme mentions a specific "_sd2snes" patch, but that bps is not provided
[04:29]
I repatched w/ a no-intro rom but result is the same.  Terrible fart noise at different points.  Non-sa1 is better than sa-1, but still bad.

badcat12.02.2021
Not sure if this is relevant but the readme in in the linked file says the patch is version 1.0.  elsewhere i found a patch for 1.5 that seems to be working better:
[04:42]
http://www.romhacking.net/download/hacks/2472/

Ah well... I'm completely lost Very Happy if you once get the time to recompile I'd be happy Razz

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Wed 17 Feb 2021 - 15:36 by Colines

Conn wrote:I tried to look in the ips you once compiled but it is already merged with fastrom as far I can tell... so I looked into your asm but do not dare to recompile (it is also a bit outdated since e.g., volume is set to 80 for emu, while the standard is FF since sd2snes boost.

Nah, don't worry. Just set the !SD2SNES flag, which is your usual FF standard, and assembler the ASM file with Asar, and you're good to go Razz (Conn)

Everything should be straightforward with the assembling instructions, just ignore the emulator volume, as it is just a relic from past times Smile

however this also gives some problems (badcat on discord, msu tech support)

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, versions issued by other individuals seem to make it more confuse to trace and debug what's going on, as I'm not sure what has been modified or whatever other conditions are outside of what were foreseen in official patches. Crying or Very sad

Patches inside the Development Purposes folder should be the latest patches issued by me, though PCM packs are limited solely to the ones compatible with the older and broken volume standard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason I kept the MSU+ patch still using the older emulator volume, is just because I didn't have time to update all the PCM assets to the correct volume for $FF.

I do intend to revamp the assets eventually. But for now, getting the code functional on real hardware took priority, so just for the time being, the $80 volume will be maintained as I work on the underlying SA-1 code Smile

It's gonna take a while to release a new build for now, as I need to review my code and remember its shenanigans. But as usual, whoever wants to collaborate/fork it and release a new MSU+ version by themselves, feel free to do so! =D

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 8:55 by Conn

I compiled it myself now, emulator work perfectly, but same problems on sd2snes badcat reportef (relikk tested). I think the grandmaster colines need to fix Wink

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 11:21 by Colines

I guess I do remember of crossing an issue similar to this "fart" sound, more prominent when getting the Star Power and the music switching back to normal as the power runs out.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but did badcat used my PCM pack only? Because I hijacked the main loop instead of the NMI, the switching music logic gets repeated several times due to how SMW is programed to call this routine. So everytime music changes, the first few milliseconds of the track are played repeatedly.

I found out easier to just add a few milliseconds of silence in the beginning of each track (humanly impossible to notice) rather than truly fix it Crying or Very sad

Then again, I should rather just fix it so nobody needs to redo entire bunches of PCM files libraries to just add a freaking portion of silence Confused
I think the grandmaster colines need to fix
That's actually rather funny. Love the sarcasm Laughing

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 12:18 by Conn

The issue is unfortunately more complex, as stated, emulator is fine it only bugs on sd2snes. Here's relikk report (I don't own a sd2snes):
No joy here. SPC music on the title screen, no music during the intro, map or first level to the left

Other MSU patches however work fine with SA1... So maybe it's a ram thing? Or sd2snes cannot find the MSU registers (like you need 3 byte addressing, e.g., sta $002004 instead sta $2004). Without the possibility to trace sd2snes, I can't tell.

It wasn't sarcasm at all. I never dealt with asar and looking at your asm, most is beyond my understanding Wink really impressive!

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 12:35 by Colines

I see. The issue persists on both versions, the MSU-1 alone and the SA-1, right?

The SA-1 is for sure, as like I said, I remember removing entirely the busy flag from the ASM code. But if it's happening on the normal MSU+ version, that's something that needs my attention urgently.

Since the ASM file is hybrid for Slow/Fastrom and SA-1, both codebases share much of the same routines, so fixing everything which is haunting the normal version, most likely will make it easier to debug and trace what's going on with the SA-1 version. Very Happy

It wasn't sarcasm at all. I never dealt with asar and looking at your asm, most is beyond my understanding
Appreciate that. Though if it wasn't for your original patch, I could never have conceived it, so all credits go to the first grandmaster. Smile

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 12:43 by Conn

I think only in the combined patch, nobody complained about MSU+ not working on sd2snes... Relikk?

Oh yes, lol, let's continue to incense each other (that was sarcasm Wink )

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 12:46 by Relikk

The normal patch seems fine. It's only the combined MSU+ & SA-1 patch that has issues.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 13:08 by Colines

Thanks for clarifying, that's all I needed to know.

Yeah, adding the busy flag for the specific SA-1 code back should pretty much make the songs to work more or less regularly, though this "fart" phenomenon is gonna need more research for its cause.

It will take a little while, but a corrected (aka busy flag implemented) patch for SD2SNES will be issued for play testing, hopefully this old dream of mine for an high quality music SA-1 version will finally be completed =^-^=

Just a heads up to everyone reading this regarding the SA-1 code included in my patch:
The ASM file does not contain any of Vitor Vilela's SA-1 Pack code. First and foremost, you should patch Vitor Vilela's SA-1 patch to a clean SMW rom, and then apply the MSU-1 patch to make both enhancements chips to work. Razz (Conn)

Oh yes, lol, let's continue to incense each other
Well, you started Laughing

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 13:55 by Conn

Yes, could the reason simply be this here?

Code:
if !SA1 == !False
 LDA #$01 ;\ Set busy flag so the MSU-1 gets his properties on next frame
 STA !BusyFlag ;/
 JMP NoMSU
endif

MSUReady:
if !SA1 == !False
 BIT $2000 ;\ If not ready, loop
 BVS Mute ;/
 STZ !BusyFlag ; Clear busy flag
endif
Out of curiousity, why don't you set the busy flag if on SA-1? Does this bug or something alike? The code cannot work on sd2snes without busy flag.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 14:29 by Colines

The reason is simply because there weren't any SA-1 flashcarts at the time, and since emulators don't need to seek anything (streamed content is available right away), I just "commented" the busy flag out Razz

I was aware of the implications of doing so, and planned to add it back eventually... As of now \o/

However, I might have experimented something weird that urged me to remove the busy flag back then, don't remember. Possibly the thing with 3 byte addressing could resolve too.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 15:57 by Conn

I see. But we know now the reason at least for the sd2snes bug Smile
I'll try tomorrow with relikk to get it work and keep you heads up

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Thu 18 Feb 2021 - 16:08 by Colines

Yeah, I did spoke with Polar that SA-1 for SD2SNES could present issues, as well as having commented a couple months ago about the busy flag problem.

Hopefully, it won't be needed further aditional changes aside from adding the flag back.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 5:05 by Conn

I think this was the case, I enabled the bit $2000 check for sa1, now it works (thanks to Relikk who tested).

I used this
Code:
!BusyFlag = $1415|!Base1 ; Free RAM address for the MSU-1 pending flag, change it if already in use too
$1415 free ram for busy flag since old $87 is used for SA1 by Vitor.

Here's the download.
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/smw_msu1+_PATCH.zip
(subfolder Super Mario World_msu1_sa1.sfc, smw_sa1_msu1_v2.bps)

Oh and the volume is FF... the pcm sets will hopefully adjusted with the time, until then here's the tool that can be used to lower them:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2068-msu-1-re-normalization-lower-pcm-volume

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 6:20 by Colines

That's great news! Thank you for stepping up and releasing a new patch. Feel free to maintain your own branch of it.

I'm happy the code was future-proofed after all, and a relatively stable experience should be in place now.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next