Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack - Page 3 Empty Re: Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Post by SegaSnatcher Tue 13 Mar 2018 - 20:53

Colines wrote:Sure thing!

Though at some point it kinda gets subjective, I myself lived with a YM3438, despite acknowledging YM2612 being "superior", I'm just used to it Razz

Also, later games created music having those models in mind, which just makes the situation even worst, despite still having better sound on early models. Nevertheless, I will make sure to make notes of which revision the tracks are recorded from. Wink

Its not really a YM2612 vs YM3438 issue for me.  Its just the audio circuitry was botched in most Model 2 Genesis which caused exess distortion, more muffled sound and FM + PSG balance issues. With a Mega Amp the YM3438 sounds fantastic.

SegaSnatcher
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2018-03-10

Back to top Go down

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack - Page 3 Empty Re: Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Post by Colines Wed 14 Mar 2018 - 5:31

Yes, you're right. Very poor wording from my part.

The model with integrated FM version does sound better for having a more linear DAC, among others things.

But yeah, that muffled sound was for a very long time my only reference for accuracy, but now I'm glad for digging inside the emulation scene to find out the garbage later models (particularly 3) are Razz
Colines
Colines

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 16 Mar 2018 - 10:31

So, just an update on this...

As a test I converted the VGM file for the Password screen into a WAV file in foobar, and then recorded the same track directly from the headphone socket of my Japanese Mega Drive manufactured in 1989, into an Mbox 2 via XLR.

Converted VGM: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahue7izQZmouimaOssEWnJXsc7LD

Recording: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahue7izQZmouimW2pKGUn85zjZCm

It comes up as a video in OneDrive and, obviously, won't play, but you can download them.

All of this is dependent on whether a compiled VGMPlay ROM of the original VGM's is an accurate enough decoder when used with a Mega Everdrive.
Relikk
Relikk

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 16 Mar 2018 - 17:15

If anybody is still confused about the conflicting advice on the various volume solutions, I did a write-up awhile back explaining how the whole issue came about.

http://blog.qwertymodo.com/2017/07/the-msu-1-volume-fiasco-explained.html
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Fri 16 Mar 2018 - 21:30

I innocently started capturing MMWW audio from my Nomad just for fun, only to realize there are 80 music tracks. If one were to rip the whole thing, would every track be necessary?
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 5:15

There's 32 tracks in the MMX hack, so you'd only need to figure out equivalent tracks.

Forgot about the Nomad. I have two that I can compare.

Are you using the same method for playing VGM's? Like, through an Everdrive and using VGMPlay?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 13:35

I use the in-game music test. I'll probably pass on this one since I'm not too familiar with MMX to find the corresponding tracks. Relikk's Model 1 setup is probably better quality anyways.
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 13:42

smokemonster wrote:I use the in-game music test.

Ah, didn't know there was a sound test. Sorry. Laughing
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3