Contra III: The Alien Wars

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Contra III: The Alien Wars - Page 2 Empty Contra III: The Alien Wars

Patch v7*: ** Updated: March 29, 2023 **
--- Please review the detailed patching instructions included with this archive !!! ---
Clean ROM CRC should be 84DA7CFE
(includes merged patches for MSU-1 v7, Restoration V-Final, and SA-1 V1.2)
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/92pkFSLD#ixJq4QBNu1sviVVqyVEJHekxQ0AJL1IOLqF57MiRm18

PCM Packs
"Arranged" Set presented by PeV for V7 merged patches**:
Code:
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZoQyXZ1INnppKTRqbGKkHq5fr57yXJVhs7

TRACK MAP via GoogleDocs

* This archive contains three BPS patches...
First one contains the plain vanilla Msu-1 patch
Second one contains Msu-1+Restoration merged patch
Third one contains Msu-1+Restoration+SA-1 merged patch.

** This archive contains a remapped track set. If you use the V7 patch, you must download the PCM set all over again for less trouble. I added some FX sounds to the intro. I included alternate sets. I built this set from what was able to be sourced at the time.

Last edited by pev on Wed 29 Mar 2023 - 7:30; edited 47 times in total
pev

Contra III: The Alien Wars - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Contra III: The Alien Wars :: Comments

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 11:56 by pev

Yeah, that is the album. Worth the purchase alone. A lot of good tracks in there.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 11:59 by kurrono

Oh the 1st Castlevania..i see... i never finish,that game haha..only manage to stage 4 and thats it heheh

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Sun 6 Oct 2019 - 4:33 by Relikk

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Fri 11 Oct 2019 - 18:29 by Polargames

Relikk wrote:SA-1 patch released for this.

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/tree/master/Contra-III

The patch is also on the rom hacking.net. Playing the OG SA-1 patch game really works great. I hope it comes soon for the msu1 version.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 18:14 by pev

Polargames wrote:I hope it comes soon for the msu1 version.
@Polargames I have done a quick update on it. I had to re-code some stuff (mainly separating shared tracks between stage 2/4 and 3/6, since the SA-1 changes broke my code). Albeit, it works but have not fully tested it yet for bugs. I kind of left in in the back burner once my interests shifted elsewhere (increased work load and this MD+ thing).

Update: Thanks, Polar for testing the patch. Patch with included SA-1 enhancement posted up top.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 11 Nov 2019 - 22:37 by pev

Contra 3 patch updated. Now includes merged Vítor SA1 patch.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 12:43 by iDaw

Hi,
I have a bug on MSU version :
At the boss of the first level, when I destroy the top orifice of the boss, the music stops !
Contra III: The Alien Wars - Page 2 Maxres10

I have this bug on my SD2NES Pro and on BSNES plus 073+3a

Somebody hels does have the same bug ?

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 13:56 by pev

iDaw wrote:Somebody hels does have the same bug ?
Just tested Contra III SA-1 version on bSnes v05 and did not experience this issue at all (see video link below). I have no tried it on the Sd2Snes and Sd2SnesPro in my possession yet. Perhaps later when I have some free time.

-Contra III SA-1 on bSnes v05 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy3rqhd2t3qd9k6/Contra3-SA1-bSnesV05.mp4?dl=0

Perhaps send a save state for your version of bSnes for me to inspect? Also, is this a freshly patched Contra III ROM? What version, original or SA-1?

UPDATE
@iDaw Ok, after doing some additional testing, I was able to reproduce the issue on the original MSU-1 patch. The MSU-1+SA-1 version is not affected. I will look into this at a later time and fix this bug. Thanks for reporting it.

Last edited by pepillopev on Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 16:23; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 16:26 by pev

@iDaw Ok, I fixed the bug for the original non-sa1 patch. The file is called c3taw-msu1-OriginalBossFix-v131.bps. The updated patch can be found at the top. Thanks again for the bug report.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 18:25 by iDaw

pepillopev wrote:@iDaw Thanks again for the bug report.

No problem ! Wink

thank you for your reactivity, the game work good now ! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 18:28 by iDaw

Do you think the MSU-1+SA-1 patch will ever work on sd2snes ?
I play only on my SD2SNES Pro ...
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Nov 2019 - 19:53 by pev

iDaw wrote:Do you think the MSU-1+SA-1 patch will ever work on sd2snes ?
This question would be best left answered by Krikkz and Ikari. From my understanding, there is just not enough FPGA space to incorporate support for both MSU-1 and SA-1 together. I’m sure there is more to this explanation but this is beyond me. Sd2SnesPro is the way to go.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 20 Nov 2019 - 16:25 by iDaw

pepillopev wrote:
iDaw wrote:Do you think the MSU-1+SA-1 patch will ever work on sd2snes ?
This question would be best left answered by Krikkz and Ikari. From my understanding, there is just not enough FPGA space to incorporate support for both MSU-1 and SA-1 together. I’m sure there is more to this explanation but this is beyond me. Sd2SnesPro is the way to go.

thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 9:45 by blade133bo

Hi, music of contra 1 is good in contra 1.
For an future remix of contra 3, need maintain audio order, level 6 has 4 tracks, 1 for stage 6 and final battle 1, next for final battle 2, next for battle final 3 and other for final boss.
could not leave that order, so that in the future it is only necessary to replace the pcm's.
I know you do a fantastic job, I hope I don’t offend anyone, greetings.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 12:34 by pev

blade133bo wrote:Hi, music of contra 1 is good in contra 1.
The current music was chosen due to what was decent and complete at the time I created this patch a while back. It was not done to ruin the Contra III experience on purpose. There are some Contra III tracks set as alternates in the current PCM set. I found only a few. You are welcomed to hunt the rest. I am personally done making PCMs for this game. Someone else would have to carry this burden. If there are code related issues; that I will work on from now on.

For an future remix of contra 3, need maintain audio order, level 6 has 4 tracks, 1 for stage 6 and final battle 1, next for final battle 2,  next for battle final 3 and other for final boss. could not leave that order, so that in the future it is only necessary to replace the pcm's.
The code is implemented to account for those battle events. There are not that many arranged or remastered tracks to accommodate them. I worked with what tracks were present at the time. You are more than welcome to look around the internet and find better alternatives. It is really not that difficult to make PCMs. Just a moment of your time and patience to learn.

I know you do a fantastic job, I hope I don’t offend anyone, greetings.
No offense taken. Critique is always welcomed. I do hope you find someone that can accommodate your PCM requests. I am done making PCM sets for the public. I will only focus on code from here on.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 12:53 by blade133bo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQYxyaOqFrRf23PsfiGi1_awCfmwUFK9w
Maybe this one, but I have no way of matching tracks with the current patch in level 6.
the epicity of the final level, is lost without the transition of the music in the actual patch.
thank you for your answer.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 16:26 by pev

blade133bo wrote:...but I have no way of matching tracks with the current patch in level 6...
Below is the track map for Contra III in its current patch version.
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oRnkyUVmd5prwDWptr6AyZqyvCrjgbVSFdDgHducUv0/edit#gid=830426374
track 0 is Stage 6-1 (1st music up to first mini-boss, the brain)
track 9 is Stage 6-2 (2nd music after first brain mini-boss defeated)
track 10 is Stage 6-3 (3rd music after crab face mini-boss is defeated)

Hmm, I do not recall ever finding a 4th trigger (say, a 4th theme after defeating the flying alien tail mini-boss). I would have to revisit in my spare time. It has been a while since I touched this game.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 19 Apr 2020 - 4:31 by Conn

Ok, here's my breakpoints:
Start and heart mini-boss: track 0
Crab with face mini-boss: track 9
flying miniboss with tail: track 10 (0A)

There is a trigger to play another theme after defeated the flying miniboss, but it is also 10 (0A) and nothing more is triggered until the ending 15 (0F)

So I think all needed from the coding side would be following:

cmp #$0A ; is track 10 (0A)about to play?
BNE playTrack
LDA $7e1d80  ; free ram
cmp #$0A ;is track 0A already playing?
BNE $04
LDA #$11 ; if 0a is playing load new pcm track 17 (11)
Bra $02
LDA #$0A ; play track 10 (0A)
playTrack:
STA $2004
STA $7e1d80 ; store track to free ram

This will play a track 17 during the two arms miniboss and brain (similar to what I see on youtube videos).
This is not an exact trigger... I think, because the final boss fight theme will play as soon the boss emerges, but the easiest soltion.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 19 Apr 2020 - 10:27 by blade133bo

I have this pack pcm. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16d0lTFel_bYTGyPMgS2PY4AQnvsDDydm/view?usp=sharing
need add this track to the patch "Level 6 final battle 3.pcm"

If you need i have in wav format.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QTCob-WC7ZDWyixwttbtqwb-0Cv7LVE_/view?usp=sharing
I do not control the loop, so the opening,  mision complete and game over track fails, sorry.

Another fail, in level 4 if you die in the helicopter, continue with track of level 2.

PD: Would it be too much work to move you code, start in offset FEF0 until FFEF
to change start to FDE0
I use this patch too for play whit my child for 30 lives and infinity continues.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3513/
and part of code use this offset FFD8 to FFF9.  Blue3
And only error i see whit actual patch, is change track of level 6 to level 3 track in level 6.

I appreciate your interest, greetings

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 27 Apr 2020 - 23:45 by pev

blade133bo wrote:I have this pack pcm...need add this track to the patch "Level 6 final battle 3.pcm"
Done and properly looped. The FINAL patch now has support for the 'The Final Gauntlet 3" theme. Please re-download FINAL patch and PCM set.
If you need i have in wav format...I do not control the loop, so the opening,  mision complete and game over track fails, sorry.
No need. I can convert the PCM file back to wave.
Another fail, in level 4 if you die in the helicopter, continue with track of level 2.
I rewrote the code from the ground up. I found more bugs in the previous patch (fade not working right, music stopping under some conditions, etc). Yes, this level 4 restart music plays correctly with FINAL patch (and for all stages when you continue). So, it is fixed. I hope.
Wink
PD: Would it be too much work to move you code, start in offset FEF0 until FFEF...
I merged restoration to both MSU+SA1 and MSU patches.
And only error i see whit actual patch, is change track of level 6 to level 3 track in level 6.
This was one of the other stupid bugs I found in the previous patch. Hopefully, with this redone patch all will be well.

And with this final act of kindness, I rid myself of this 'awesome' game. Well, for now...

@Conn There is one minor bug. If you are missing the 'Final Gauntlet III' pcm and code fallbacks to SPC, it will play 'Final Gauntlet I' theme. For some reason, I could not get 'Final Gauntlet III' spc version to play at all. Pushing the correct track just mutes the spc music for that moment in the game. If you have the PCM file, the game will play the theme as expected. I got tired of dealing with this game and put that on hold.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 3:27 by Conn

Thanks for taking the time to fix all the stuff Very Happy I too hope this game is done for good now! In the last time there were much less bugs reports on all msu patches, so I also have the impression that we are coming to an end with all our stuff Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 5:11 by darthvaderx

The set contains roms and in the third game demo (when the screen splits in two) there are some bugs in the image that did not appear in the previous patch version, here is the example:

Contra3.avi

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 5:21 by pev

darthvaderx wrote:The set contains roms...[/url]
Link fixed to contain no roms. Thanks.
and in the third game demo (when the screen splits in two) there are some bugs in the image that did not appear in the previous patch version,
Noticed this too. I played the stage with both players in actual game play and it did not happen there, just in demo screen. I will look into this later. My guess, I will need to find a safer place in RAM to utilize.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 5:49 by pev

@darthvaderx Ok, I fixed it. That is what it was. I was using an area of RAM occupied by the Stage 2 demo. Let me know how it turns out. Re-download the patch and re-apply. Be sure to erase the SRM file too before running the newly patched game.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 11:02 by blade133bo

Thanks for the work, its perfect.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next