A Link to the Past: Retold

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 5 Empty A Link to the Past: Retold

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 5 Alttp-Retold

Patch Download v.1.40
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/gvJ0FaCY#H1Pc1fNYNAz9X7uqdcp3s8R45I5ipLumH4BPAV4Fngg

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a few years late to the party. But here we go.

This is the result of 2 years of fiddling, tweaking, learning ASM and HEX, all to pull this off. I hope you enjoy.

This hack edits nearly every room(Visual edits mostly, layout stays the same), most dialogue, and many, many gameplay aspects of ALTTP.

Major changes:
-Any Dungeon, any order. You still need to get the three pendants first, but the order of the pendants, then later of the crystals, is 100% up to you.
-Items are no longer inside their respective dungeons. You will now have to explore, talk to NPCs, and venture off the beaten path to find items. (Think about how you find the Icerod)
-The combat difficulty has been increased. Significantly.
-Several shortcuts have been added to the overworld. (Like in A Link Between Worlds)
-Dialogue has been re-written while keeping the same overall messages in tack.
-Almost every single room has been visually redesigned with added detail.(Layouts are mostly the same) Just look at Link's house or Hyrule castle and you'll know what I mean.
-New sprites have been added while keeping to the original style. Nothing should stand out too much.
-Magic now regens, but it’s incredibly slow. This cuts down on frustration, but doesn’t make magical items fully OP.
-Pits no longer hurt you. This hack is intended to be played on mobile. Bad touch-screen controls should not be the reason you get a game over.

Also contains:
- Make Silver Arrows Double Fast By Conn
- The Legend of Zelda - DX By Puzzledude
- 24 Item Menu By Conn and Euclid
- Original sprites by Euclid, heavily modified by Kyim
- Original ALTTP bug fixes By MathOnNapkins and Conn
- Random and Special Treasure Dig Up By Conn
- Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots By Conn/AST Team ^_^

Detailed Description:

Last edited by Kyim on Sun 14 May 2023 - 17:02; edited 36 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed download link :-))
Kyim
Kyim

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 5 Image213

Since : 2019-05-08

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Link to the Past: Retold :: Comments

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 4:27 by edale

sinistra wrote:
edale wrote:I can't find the red armor, and it's location change is not listed in the readme...

It's there, i found it, so you have to search.

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 5 Retold12

Yes
My how incredibly... helpful.

Does the sarcasm come through in that, it's just so hard to get sarcasm to come through right in text, and I wouldn't want to give you the impression I was being serious. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 5:59 by Conn

Before this gets somewhat spammed with off-topic, why does not anybody want to help edale posting the solution with a spoiler Wink

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 8:39 by Puzzledude

edale wrote:I can't find the red armor, and it's location change is not listed in the readme...
No idea, what's going on here or why you have problems. I checked version 1.40 and 1.43. In both versions the hex code is the same as in original ALTTP at E96E section, code is 8C 80 23, ie Armor3 or red armor is in the big chest of room 140= 008C, ie in Ganon Tower one staircase down from the entrance, in the same chest where it was in the original game. It's not even a spoiler I would say.

it's location change is not listed in the readme...
Because the location was not changed.

Also, version 1.43 heavy bugs on naming and playing screen again, as well as on title screen even. So whatever was updated from 1.40 brought this bug back.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 10:15 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:Also, version 1.43 heavy bugs on naming and playing screen again, as well as on title screen even. So whatever was updated from 1.40 brought this bug back.

It might be from using Hyrule Add-Ons to edit the Enemy health/damage tables?

I wish I knew exactly what part the of the code in HEX is messed up so I could just copy the chunk from line "X" to line "Y" and re-insert after each updated. Because it seems that its the same part getting corrupted each time.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 11:40 by edale

Puzzledude wrote:
No idea, what's going on here or why you have problems. I checked version 1.40 and 1.43. In both versions the hex code is the same as in original ALTTP at E96E section, code is 8C 80 23, ie Armor3 or red armor is in the big chest of room 140= 008C, ie in Ganon Tower one staircase down from the entrance, in the same chest where it was in the original game. It's not even a spoiler I would say.
Ugh... the guides I was checking kept saying it was in Turtle Rock, not Ganon's Tower...

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 11:45 by edale

Kyim wrote:
Puzzledude wrote:Also, version 1.43 heavy bugs on naming and playing screen again, as well as on title screen even. So whatever was updated from 1.40 brought this bug back.

It might be from using Hyrule Add-Ons to edit the Enemy health/damage tables?

I wish I knew exactly what part the of the code in HEX is messed up so I could just copy the chunk from line "X" to line "Y" and re-insert after each updated. Because it seems that its the same part getting corrupted each time.
Do you have old versions of the patch from before the fixes were done?

If so, then take a pre-fix ROM, and a post-fix ROM (where the fix is the only change), use LunarIPS to make an IPS of the differences. Now you have an IPS patch you can apply to any future updates to apply only those fixes.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 12:18 by Puzzledude

If so, then take a pre-fix ROM, and a post-fix ROM (where the fix is the only change), use LunarIPS to make an IPS of the differences. Now you have an IPS patch you can apply to any future updates to apply only those fixes.
It is not so simple. While the same global thing gets bugged, it is bugged in an unique way every time you make the updates. I'm guessing it is the GFX update or HM just messing up due to space shortage. Similar thing was in Conker, where everytime SePH changed the GFX (ie recompress it), the same bug appeared, but on a slightly different section of the hex code.

As you can see in 1.41 only naming and playing screen got affected, in 1.43 it is also the title screen affected, so it's not the same. Basically what should be done is to take 1.40 (where all these screens and all rooms above 255 are debugged) than make the changes. And if the bug appears, the changes need to be made so, that they don't destroy the screens. Making the change, destroying the screen, and trying to debug the screen later is not the best way to debug this.

But obviously can be done either way. The corrupted area is in this section:

Code:

ALTTP,
Titlescreen and other screens in hex code

addr      hex block         screen
01. 65D6D,  (FD) to 65E69, = 07. LOAD LIST
02. 65E6A,  (E0) to 65F49, = 08. LOAD SCREEN
03. 65F4A,  (FD) to 66046, = 09. ERASE LIST
04. 66047,  (AD) to 660F3, = 10. COPY LIST
05. 660F4,  (85) to 66178, = 11. DESTINATION LIST

06. 66179, (45B) to 665D3, = 01. TITLE SCREEN
07. 665D4,  (B1) to 66684, = 03. PLAYER SELECT
08. 66685,  (E9) to 6676D, = 05. ERASE SCREEN
09. 6676E,  (51) to 667BE, = 04. COPY SCREEN
10. 667BF, (5BB) to 66D79, = 02. NAMING SCREEN

11. 75A9C, (294) to 75D2F, = 06. MAP SCREEN

*all screens (no map) = 65D6D, (100D) to 66D79

Complex partial POINTERS only for main screens (06. to 11.) are at 137D.

137D, (19) to 1395

string
79 1B BF D4 6E 85 9C (10 10)
E1 02 E7 E5 E7 E6 DA (00 00)
0C 00 0C 0C 0C 0C 0E

0C E1 79 = 66179 = 01. TITLE SCREEN
00 02 1B = /
0C E7 BF = 667BF = 02. NAMING SCREEN
0C E5 D4 = 665D4 = 03. PLAYER SELECT
0C E7 6E = 6676E = 04. COPY SCREEN
0C E6 85 = 66685 = 05. ERASE SCREEN
0E DA 9C = 75A9C = 06. MAP SCREEN

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 13:17 by Puzzledude

I did some testing and basically could not debug the 1.43 at all. After you transfer all screen-code+pointers, it still doesn't work. I then transfered all GFX and also the entire area past 1MB from 1.40 and 1.43, only then it was debugged - but this essentially almost entirely changes the 1.43 back to 1.40.

Conn's method of transfering the section 66100 to 66500 from original game to 1.43 also works and debugs the naming screen, but now in 1.43 also the title screen is bugged. And again if you debug this, you might destroy some rooms beyond 255. So nothing more I can do here, but to recomend to rather use 1.40.

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Fri 7 Jun 2019 - 13:39 by sinistra

edale wrote:
sinistra wrote:

Yes

Does the sarcasm come through in that, it's just so hard to get sarcasm to come through right in text, and I wouldn't want to give you the impression I was being serious. Very Happy

Did you find it?

It's in the same place as the original alttp.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 7 Jun 2019 - 15:30 by Puzzledude

sinistra wrote:
edale wrote:
sinistra wrote:

Yes

Did you find it?

No need to ask this, just look at the code in section E96E onward. The first 23 byte is 8C 80 23, ie Armor3 or red armor is in the big chest of room 140= 008C, ie in Ganon Tower one staircase down from the entrance, where it was in the original game.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 7 Jun 2019 - 15:32 by edale

sinistra wrote:Did you find it?

The guide I was looking at had it in the wrong place. Yea, I found it.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 2 Jul 2019 - 12:05 by ChristosOwen

Hi,

I tried playing this on my SNES using an SD2SNES but it appears when I save and quit it doesn't actually save, so I lose all progress. Sadly this means I can't continue playing unless I switch to emulator which I'd prefer not to do.

This doesn't happen with other hacks, so there is probably an easy solution. Posting here so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help!

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Tue 2 Jul 2019 - 13:12 by sinistra

ChristosOwen wrote:Hi,

I tried playing this on my SNES using an SD2SNES but it appears when I save and quit it doesn't actually save, so I lose all progress. Sadly this means I can't continue playing unless I switch to emulator which I'd prefer not to do.

This doesn't happen with other hacks, so there is probably an easy solution. Posting here so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help!

Hi ChristosOwen,

Sorry to hear that, not sure what can cause this but what i do know is that at page 1 of this topic there have been some issue's with this ROM which were fixed, but doing so caused another bug somewhere else, your problem could be related, not saying it is but it might be.

What you can do is check and see if sliding the SD card adapter into the sd2snes is pushing the slider on the side of the adapter to "memory lock" position. you could tape the slider down so it can't move when you insert it, if this isn't the problem, then your off-brand SD card probably is or the ROM itself i buggy.

Try the above and let us know if that helped.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 2 Jul 2019 - 16:13 by pev

@CristosOwen I remember on my OG SD2SNES with MSU-1 patch you have to hold reset for a second or two then release to write the save to SD card. I remember encountering this problem with Yoshi’s Island MSU-1.

If memory serves me, MSU-1 and real time SRAM saving do not play nice together. If using a MSU-1 patched game you have to hold reset down for a bit then let go to save to SD card. I think it has to do with MSU-1 wanting exclusive access to the SD card. Not sure about the Pro version, have not tried it yet.

If you are playing a regular plain ROM, the auto save works like a champ and saves automatically to the SD card.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 11:43 by ChristosOwen

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realise this used MSU-1 as only skimmed the details (woops!) - I also remember from playing Conker's that there was some finicky thing I had to do with holding down the reset button in order to make the save work.

I'll give it another go with that in mind. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Tropylium

Post Sat 27 Jul 2019 - 13:24 by Tropylium

Minor bug: the Helmasaur King fight will be softlocked if you end up getting the heart container dropping directly on top of the spike blocks.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 28 Jul 2019 - 8:33 by Wolfcat

I had something similar happen that I wrote earlier in this thread in a hidden spoiler tag I had written, which said:
"I had a glitch with the Eastern Palace where the last Armos Knight I defeated got stuck in the spikes above between the top wall and spikes, so I couldn't grab the heart to get the the pendant to drop, so I had to scale the Easten Palace to go forward."

Back to top Go down

Erockbrox

Post Wed 21 Aug 2019 - 0:49 by Erockbrox

I gave it a go and played it, but it was too similar for me to really get much out of it since it was still very close to the source material.

but any hack is an accomplishment.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 31 Mar 2020 - 18:29 by wizzrobemaster

one issue that i found so far is where you get the shovel. the sprite is messed up once you get the ocarina.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 31 Mar 2020 - 20:37 by wizzrobemaster

so one thing i would change is in the swamp palace. the central room should have a big key hole so you do not skip the big key.

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Sun 19 Jul 2020 - 7:13 by JUD6MENT

Is the download link for this not working? I tried clicking on it and i never get something to load

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 8:26 by Floki

All romhacks hosted on acmlm are dead.

I have the latest version of all of them.

I will update/fix all the Zelda 3 rom hacks database soon enough!

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 15:49 by Floki

@ JUD6MENT: The download link has been fixed :-)

Back to top Go down

Vanya

Post Sun 23 Aug 2020 - 4:10 by Vanya

I was just curious if there are any moderate to major bugs left.
I like this hack a lot, and I'd like to make it my go-to version of the game if it's reasonably stable.

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Wed 26 Aug 2020 - 16:36 by sinistra

Vanya wrote:I was just curious if there are any moderate to major bugs left.
I like this hack a lot, and I'd like to make it my go-to version of the game if it's reasonably stable.

Yes, it's good .. i recommend this hack. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next