A Link to the Past: Retold

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 2 Empty A Link to the Past: Retold

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 2 Alttp-Retold

Patch Download v.1.40
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/gvJ0FaCY#H1Pc1fNYNAz9X7uqdcp3s8R45I5ipLumH4BPAV4Fngg

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a few years late to the party. But here we go.

This is the result of 2 years of fiddling, tweaking, learning ASM and HEX, all to pull this off. I hope you enjoy.

This hack edits nearly every room(Visual edits mostly, layout stays the same), most dialogue, and many, many gameplay aspects of ALTTP.

Major changes:
-Any Dungeon, any order. You still need to get the three pendants first, but the order of the pendants, then later of the crystals, is 100% up to you.
-Items are no longer inside their respective dungeons. You will now have to explore, talk to NPCs, and venture off the beaten path to find items. (Think about how you find the Icerod)
-The combat difficulty has been increased. Significantly.
-Several shortcuts have been added to the overworld. (Like in A Link Between Worlds)
-Dialogue has been re-written while keeping the same overall messages in tack.
-Almost every single room has been visually redesigned with added detail.(Layouts are mostly the same) Just look at Link's house or Hyrule castle and you'll know what I mean.
-New sprites have been added while keeping to the original style. Nothing should stand out too much.
-Magic now regens, but it’s incredibly slow. This cuts down on frustration, but doesn’t make magical items fully OP.
-Pits no longer hurt you. This hack is intended to be played on mobile. Bad touch-screen controls should not be the reason you get a game over.

Also contains:
- Make Silver Arrows Double Fast By Conn
- The Legend of Zelda - DX By Puzzledude
- 24 Item Menu By Conn and Euclid
- Original sprites by Euclid, heavily modified by Kyim
- Original ALTTP bug fixes By MathOnNapkins and Conn
- Random and Special Treasure Dig Up By Conn
- Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots By Conn/AST Team ^_^

Detailed Description:

Last edited by Kyim on Sun 14 May 2023 - 17:02; edited 36 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed download link :-))
Kyim
Kyim

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2019-05-08

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Link to the Past: Retold :: Comments

Kyim

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 13:52 by Kyim

As a general question:

Should I be adding/removing the header from the ROM when using it to make the ISP? Or is that irreverent?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 15:36 by Puzzledude

Oh my god. Puzzledude.  Ohmygod emoji.
It's an honour.
Nice.

So. I applied my ISP to a handful of ROMs, headered and unheadered, expanded to various sizes, and I can't recreate this issue. My screens work as usual. Would having access to a functioning version help with debugging/isolating the issue?
What you did wrong on 1.35 and 1.36 was the IPS file. So we all got the bugged rom (bugged screens) as a result of patching.

What you did with 1.37 is working (no more screen bugs), however now the IPS conatins basically the entire ROM. What you need to do is remove the header (200 mostly 00 bytes from the beginning of the rom) from your hack and from the original US ALTTP rom and then create the IPS file using LunarIPS. When this IPS is applied to the original US non headered rom again, the result will be your rom.

But I've already done this, since 1.37 results in a working rom, since it contains all data, due to your hack being unheadered and original rom headered, or reversed.

Download retold 1.37 correctly IPSed:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5362

(this one is made with non headered hack and non headered original rom, and thus has the actual changes, ie 400 KB). You could also make it headered hack and headered original rom (should be the same result).

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 15:54 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:
But I've already done this, since 1.37 results in a working rom, since it contains all data, due to your hack being unheadered and original rom headered, or reversed.

Download retold 1.37 correctly IPSed:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5362

The legends are true! Thank you, Puzzledude! You and Conn are proper life savers! I'll upload this into the zip for 1.37 and use unheadered ROMs going forth.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 16:29 by Puzzledude

Well, this was just trivial, your 137 patch (in practice) produced the same result. The previous patches were off for some reason, and indeed if you bring back the code from the original game into the section 66100-66500 of 135 and 136, the screens were debugged. But I reverted all the ALTTP screen code on 135 and 136, which resulted in crash. Screens code is fine on 137 though.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 18:01 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:Well, this was just trivial, your 137 patch (in practice) produced the same result. The previous patches were off for some reason, and indeed if you bring back the code from the original game into the section 66100-66500 of 135 and 136, the screens were debugged. But I reverted all the ALTTP screen code on 135 and 136, which resulted in crash. Screens code is fine on 137 though.

Full credit to Conn for screen code his patch, this is all quite beyond me.

So we are good to go with the current version? Again, I can't get the screen issue to trigger on my end, so I'm relying on the community for feedback on that.

In the future, would you suggest I just keep the code from 66100-66500 in this current version and just re-insert it into future versions as a fail-safe to keep the screens working?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 18:24 by Puzzledude

In the future, would you suggest I just keep the code from 66100-66500 in this current version and just re-insert it into future versions as a fail-safe to keep the screens working?
No need, since the debug code was identical to ALTTP. The code in 137 Retold seems different from ALTTP. And the all screens mode has a much wider range+ pointers (plus gfx dependent). Thus the version 137 is fine.

But obviously it would be wise to actually keep the entire game-version. This is necessary due to HM randomly bugging out or making irreversable damage to the rom, usually because of lack of space and incapability to extend that space properly.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 11 May 2019 - 22:16 by Wolfcat

Kyim wrote:
sinistra wrote:
sinistra wrote:
Wolfcat wrote:Make sure to click on the text on white to see what is hidden in my comment.

I am very deep into this hack and the flute only worked some, but now it stopped working and I can't get to Misery Mire(I thought maybe their is a programmed reason for this or it is broken perhaps.

Same here, get picked up by the bird, then select the place to go, but get put back in the same place.

Correction, Flute seems to work just fine, just need to select the place to go and hit the X button,.  Confused

Haha there we go! Aye, its meant to be that way. So you can cancel Flute Transport, if you change your mind.

O, OK, great. That's an improvement compared to the original. I checked the original and the flute in alttp goes to a chosen location by using the flute and tapping A, B, X or Y. I have always been in the habit to tap Y to use the flute, then tap B to go to location I have chosen, so I never really knew this before.

For your hack the B button cancels the flute transport, and A, X or Y execute the chosen location for Flute Transportation.

I am happy for you that things have been fixed. You guys always amaze me. Again thank you for this rom hack. Blue1

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 4:13 by Wolfcat

There is a lot to like about this hack. One thing I really liked was being able to stop running by letting go of the running button and of coarse the being able to turn while running to run in squared circles. I didn't see a clue as to where the firerod was which I found in the readme file like you said. I just beat this hack with all items I believe. I assumed the magic powder doesn't change bubbles into fairies to make this hack harder but when I was young I didn't know that. In fact I just learned that a few months ago. I don't know if there is anything else, but I thought when I played the Misery Mire dungeon that I had 3 keys and grabbed a 4rth key but it still had 3 keys shown, but I have been using the mirror to warp back to the beginning of dungeons when gathering keys to cut through a little faster, but I am not a speed runner at all. But maybe I was mistaken about the amount of keys. I had re-loaded into a previous save state and lost track of remembering to pay attention to if that might be a problem.

It is a great hack.

Edit:
I found where Anti-Faries don't turn into Faries. I went to the Eastern Light World Palace and found that even the other Anti-Faries turn into Faries using Magic Powder in other parts of this dungeon. This same thing will happen in the original alttp. I went to the room where the big key chest is and 4 Anti-Faries Bubbles are spinning around a jar. Those Anti-Faries don't turn into Faries using Magic Powder.

Last edited by Wolfcat on Tue 14 May 2019 - 0:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 7:39 by sinistra

Real nice hack, recommended.

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 2 Retold12

Yes

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 11:46 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:
No need, since the debug code was identical to ALTTP. The code in 137 Retold seems different from ALTTP. And the all screens mode has a much wider range+ pointers (plus gfx dependent). Thus the version 137 is fine.

But obviously it would be wise to actually keep the entire game-version. This is necessary due to HM randomly bugging out or making irreversable damage to the rom, usually because of lack of space and incapability to extend that space properly.

Alright, brilliant! Thanks again, Puzzledude. Hopefully HM doesn't re-instate the issue after future edits. I do NOT want to be one of those people who immediately runs to you or Conn like "Fix my hack!" every time there is an issue. I don't want to be a burden on the community by asking for help for things I should be able to fix myself.

Do you have any tips to avoid this in the future? Like should I expand my ROM to the largest size befor working on it? Only used headered vs unheadered? Not edit certain things in HM? Any general good-practice advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 11:50 by Kyim

Wolfcat wrote:It is a great hack.

Thanks Wolf! I'll look into the key thing, but that should be alright. And the Magic Powder on Anti-Faries does work, and is highly suggested. Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed!

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 11:52 by Kyim

sinistra wrote:Real nice hack, recommended.
Yes

Thank's Sinistra! That really means a lot to me! I deeply appreciate the validation! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 12 May 2019 - 12:15 by Puzzledude

Do you have any tips to avoid this in the future? Like should I expand my ROM to the largest size befor working on it? Only used headered vs unheadered? Not edit certain things in HM? Any general good-practice advice would be greatly appreciated.
No need for the largest size. 2MB is plenty enough, unless you would need another MB for some reason (max is 4MB though, more than that not recomended since then you need to change the Lorom format into some other format, which is highly incompatible with emulation devices). The practice is to use unheadered (mainly because the hex address calculation is invalid (ie +200) if headered).
What not to do/ or do in HM (usually on extensive hacks):
-don't use the "clear all" functions, like clear all exits for instance,
-don't change the global overworld grid,
-don't change the default indoor room layouts,
-avoid using any items (red dots under bushes) on overworld,
-avoid using any whirlpools on overworld,
-renounce on all overworld "events",
-after editing any monologue, check the address E8000 in hex, if it remained the same value as original game (otherwise camera shake bug),
-shorten the Triforce monologue, otherwise it will be bugged unless using MoN's version of HM,
-keep 15 percent of all indoor rooms empty,
etc

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 May 2019 - 1:06 by Wolfcat

I found where Anti-Faries don't turn into Faries. I went to the Eastern Light World Palace and found that even the other Anti-Faries turn into Faries using Magic Powder in other parts of this dungeon. This same thing will happen in the original alttp. I went to the room where the big key chest is and 4 Anti-Faries Bubbles are spinning around a jar. Those Anti-Faries don't turn into Faries using Magic Powder. I don't know why this happens.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 13 May 2019 - 11:11 by Puzzledude

Because it is a different sprite, not affected by Powder.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Fri 17 May 2019 - 10:46 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:
etc

It's embarrassing that I only know about half of that, haha. Thanks again, Puzzledude!

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 May 2019 - 3:44 by slashi

Sorry for a noobish question.

I really enjoy this hack, and everything seems to be fine until I reach Kakariko Village.

The house right west of the bottle seller bugs out for me, and ends in a softlock. Same for the Inn, if entered from the back.

I have tried every rom i could find, always the same problem, on multiple emulators.

If you could please specify the correct rom needed for this hack to work, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 18 May 2019 - 13:48 by renkoha

i have a problem with this hack i tried playing on zsnes and snes9x and in both cases there are several house and caves bugged, some allow in and out and others don't, i don't know if its me or the patch, in order to find that out here is my rom Conn: Link removed since it contained a rom  so please let me know what you find out about this matter

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 19 May 2019 - 3:59 by Conn

Wow the 3rd link I had to remove in the past 2 months. @ renkoha and @all:

It is not allowed to post links to roms in this forum. This may lead to a shut-down of this site!

If you really need to post your patched rom, you can make an ips out of it and post this public or pm/mail the author of the patch with a link to the sfc or whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 19 May 2019 - 20:15 by renkoha

Conn wrote:Wow the 3rd link I had to remove in the past 2 months. @ renkoha and @all:

It is not allowed to post links to roms in this forum. This may lead to a shut-down of this site!

If you really need to post your patched rom, you can make an ips out of it and post this public or pm/mail the author of the patch with a link to the sfc or whatever.

i apologize for not being specific, i didn't posted a link to a patched rom i posted a link to the original unpatched rom but if that isn't allowed as well, please let know this way

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 19 May 2019 - 20:29 by Puzzledude

You can not link to any Rom, actually. You can not link to a site which contains roms (despite the fact that the link does not download a rom). You can not link to a site which might contain patches and roms etc.

Also, I could not reproduce the bugs which were described above.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 20 May 2019 - 3:39 by Conn

i apologize for not being specific, i didn't posted a link to a patched rom i posted a link to the original unpatched rom but if that isn't allowed as well, please let know this way

That's even worse. The copyright to the rom's code is full under Nintendo license!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 20 May 2019 - 13:15 by Wolfcat

I also found those two rooms to be bugged out for alttp Retold version 1.37. The room in the house left of the bottle seller seems to have the bow and arrow game connected to it and after walking up in to it I can only walk down into a room below where the arrow game seller is also again alone in a room with me. Both this room and the room for the Inn when entered from the back have weird diagonal walls, but the Inn entered from the back goes to the right and has stools leading to the right instead of vertically. I could make pictures if you want? I did't have these bugs with version 1.35, but version 1.35 has the messed up menu, version 1.37 doesn't have a messed up menu.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 20 May 2019 - 13:34 by Conn

Yes, I assumed problems like these with the hotfix, that's why I said use with care.. Unfortunately, a solution isn't easy to find.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 20 May 2019 - 23:26 by Wolfcat

I understand, There are too many flaws and hacks to fix. I was not requesting a fix, but it's not a hack I made and I was just pointing out what I saw. It would be great to be as good at rom hacking as any of you who have made a rom this great, but I am great at other things. I think version 1.35 works well enough IMO.

Maybe someone might want version 1.35 of this rom hack?, If so who ever wants can request through a PM to me for that version in ips form to download. Just give enough time to respond.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next