Tutorial msu1

Go down

Tutorial msu1 Empty Tutorial msu1

Post by Damniel Tue 27 Apr 2021 - 15:08

Hello, we need a tutorial to make our own games with msu1 music step by step. For example, this Dragon Ball Z RPG from Super Nintendo, its original music is rubbish and needs a reform like the one seen in this video.

Damniel
Bee
Bee

Since : 2019-01-13

Back to top Go down

Tutorial msu1 Empty Re: Tutorial msu1

Post by Conn Tue 27 Apr 2021 - 15:47

There is no general guide and no easy way... You need to know ASM.

1. You need to know how the CPU communicates with the APU. If you are lucky, then the tracks are indexed (like my latest Tales of Phantasia) and it is stored somehow to the APU ports $2140-2143. If you are unlucky it gets hellish complex with sound banks and overlapping indexes, or the values are in X, Y registers and you need to remap them.

2. Once you found out how the tracks are addressed, you need to mute the audio. There you can be lucky and you have a mute track you simply send to the APU, leaving SFX intact, or you are unlucky and need to know APU ASM (which is a bit different from CPU ASM) and make a hard mute there.

3. The rest is easy going, writing a track to 2004 and such. However there's always space for master art, like fading and so on.

In short, I can't help you with a tutorial for these reasons. I have no idea what was shit*ing in my brain beginning with Tales of Phantasia after co-laborated at maybe 120 MSU hacks. I'm retired and burnt out on this. If something is sh... Again in my brain I may do Shadowrun (Relikk requested this) or Ultima VI, a game of my youth.

Dragonball isn't at all on my radar unfortunately... Sad

Last edited by Conn on Wed 28 Apr 2021 - 3:15; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Tutorial msu1 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 28 Apr 2021 - 0:40

Unfortunately this stuff is insanely complex if you are starting with no background knowledge to fall back on. I spent like 40 hours trying to figure it out once and did not even come close, still do not know what I am doing. If you do learn it though, there is plenty of ways I can assist you by making music tracks and playtesting the game. I wish you best of luck!
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Tutorial msu1 Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Sat 25 Dec 2021 - 3:56

While it is indeed not possible to tutorialize this start-to-finish in a way that works for every game, it is somewhat possible to write out a "getting started" primer, of sorts.

I'll see what I can do while starting on a third patch.

You're lucky enough in that all the addresses the SNES uses to communicate with the APU always the same between games, and setting up a good development environment will help you a lot, as well as knowing what the modern tools are and how to use them.

Learning enough SNES Assembly code to make it work was challenging though and absolutely took me a month or so of pretty concerted effort, coming from a very light background of coding many many years ago.

Anyways, I'll try to write up something sane in the coming months, but it'll only help you get started with rom hacking, it won't finish anything for you...  if you get stuck you might just have to ask for help.
Cubear
Cubear

Tutorial msu1 Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by diegobve Sat 22 Apr 2023 - 12:55

hello I have this msu 1 from umk3 deluxe but I can't play the graveyard and goros lair songs I've tried other patches and nothing link:

Edit by Conn: Link deleted, contained a rom

diegobve
Bee
Bee

Since : 2023-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 22 Apr 2023 - 14:40

First, we have strict rules to not link or post any roms. This site gets sued and must be closed otherwise.
Further users who cannot attend to these rules will be banned without warning.

Second, we provide msu patches that work with stock roms. If other authors make patches, that are not compatible please, with all due respect, ask the authors to add msu feature. Most of us programmers that provide msu patches always include an asm which the corresponding third party author can implement.
Conn
Conn

Tutorial msu1 Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Tue 2 May 2023 - 19:56

Im still around guys hhehe longtime Very Happy
kurrono
kurrono

Tutorial msu1 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 15 May 2023 - 5:19

Kurrono, I received your new patch for super scope that you sent per mail, but I cannot release it since the new tracks you added are part of the original pcm set (7,11,35). So they get overwritten.

Please check this and let me know how to proceed, thanks Wink
Conn
Conn

Tutorial msu1 Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Tue 16 May 2023 - 11:43

You can overwrite the songs from old pcm...
The new songs are the corrext one... 35 pcm wasnt there before..the other 2 were repated songs from the other songs....
So change it.... the new songs are the correct ones now
kurrono
kurrono

Tutorial msu1 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 16 May 2023 - 18:24

Alright, updated
https://www.zeldix.net/t1682-super-scope-6#25798
with your new patch and pcm Wink
Conn
Conn

Tutorial msu1 Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Unessential Sat 11 Nov 2023 - 11:39

Wow, you guys are very unhelpful. (Yes, I'm reviving the thread because it currently tops MANY google searches I made while trying to find actual useful documentation on the MSU-1)

Remember when you reply you aren't replying to JUST the OP but people who may  come across the thread in the future.  Byuu's site no longer exists and his website is blocked from archive.org so It doesn't have any copies. All of the tutorials on this forum seems to be for people who just want to get an existing hack working not for creating a game from scratch or creating a hack to begin with.

It took me WAY too long to find this https://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm

So it's there for people in the future who want to get started.

and of course, every reference it's referring to is dead and doesn't have a working copy on archive.org so I can't do the further reading but at least it has all the basic information needed to start programming the MSU-1 in a cheat sheet.

At Least that page itself is on archive.org for when it inevitably goes down as well

Unessential
Newcomer

Since : 2023-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Sat 11 Nov 2023 - 16:51

Hi! This thread isn't a great place to seek information about creating MSU-1 hacks, but we do actually have some resources meant to assist in getting your own project going!

They're located in this section of the forums.

https://www.zeldix.net/f115-tutorials

I have now locked this thread in order to promote discussion in more productive places. thanks!

If you need more information than we have available, just ask.
Cubear
Cubear

Tutorial msu1 Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down