Mortal Kombat II Unlimited

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 2 Empty Re: Mortal Kombat II Unlimited

Post by void Sat 22 May 2021 - 10:05

pepillopev wrote:Well, at least, MegaSD has save states for MD+ games. That helps during testing too.

Yeah really mis that on Everdrive. The ingame menu does not work at all for msu games.

pepillopev wrote:It is nice that it works on real hardware an all, but I’m becoming a minimalist. I don’t like having a huge dinosaur out to play a game. One reason, I stay away from XSX and PS5. Those things are tumors! Lol.

Same Smile

btw I looking at the 32x code I'm really surprised it worked because of these 2 intructions:

Code:
jsr     msu_driver_init
lea     AUDIO_TBL,a0

I guess vasm automatically optimizes those to pc relative. I can see some things I can improve but I just don't want to touch it anymore now that it is confirmed to be working Wink As I cant test it myself.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2021-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 22 May 2021 - 10:12

void wrote: I guess vasm automatically optimizes those to pc relative. I can see some things I can improve but I just don't want to touch it anymore now that it is confirmed to be working Wink As I cant test it myself.
Well, if you decide to make changes. Let me know, I will be happy to test and haul this Sega CD dinosaur out of storage Wink. I’m sure there are others interested as well.

pev

Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by void Sat 22 May 2021 - 11:02

pepillopev wrote:
void wrote: I guess vasm automatically optimizes those to pc relative. I can see some things I can improve but I just don't want to touch it anymore now that it is confirmed to be working Wink As I cant test it myself.
Well, if you decide to make changes. Let me know, I will be happy to test and haul this Sega CD dinosaur out of storage Wink. I’m sure there are others interested as well.

Haha Smile

Maybe I will then. Being so dependent on those implicit optimisations makes this specific code less robust. I can't work on it the coming few days though.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to test this all!

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 22 May 2021 - 11:37

void wrote: Anyway thanks again for taking the time to test this all!
Testing in this hobby is one of the few joys I have to relieve work related stress. Do what you can at your time, I say. No rush.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrymh Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:31

Hellow,  have trouble with the first intro track, seems that it plays the wrong track.   and also added 2 tracks for de second intro and the select screen.

Searching on the disk seems that the correct track is track 29 but it is playing track 04 on the firs intro.

testes on Megaeverdrive pro, and Retroarch(the version that is on the arcadetv site)
same 1st wrong track on both.

Last edited by jerrymh on Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:40; edited 1 time in total

jerrymh
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2021-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:37

@jerrymh what you are showing seems to me is playing correctly. where is the problem?

The Shang Tsung/Shao Khan intro is playing as expected
The MK2 Title Screen is playing as expected
Player Select is playing as expected

What am I missing here?

Last edited by pepillopev on Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:39; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:38

Compared to the arcade it plays the wrong track, but compared to the original hack it doesn't.

https://youtu.be/gdoe0ApzPDM

That track is shared with the opponents/tower screen. A new track would need to be mapped for the original arcade version.

Relikk
Relikk

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrymh Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:40

pepillopev wrote:@jerrymh what you are showing seems to me is playing correctly. where is the problem?

The Shang Tsung/Shao Khan intro is playing as expected
The MK2 Title Screen is playing as expected
Player Select is playing as expected

What am I missing here?

Searching on the disk seems that the correct track is track 29 but it is playing track 04 on the firs intro. But if you say that is that the hack plays as is there is no problem from your side.

Last edited by jerrymh on Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:42; edited 1 time in total

jerrymh
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:41

@Relikk Thanks for clarifying. In this case, you are correct a new track would have to be mapped. The current patch follows the stock ROM's music behavior, not arcade. That explains jerry's confusion, I guess.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrymh Sat 22 May 2021 - 19:51

pepillopev wrote:@Relikk Thanks for clarifying. In this case, you are correct a new track would have to be mapped. The current patch follows the stock ROM's music behavior, not arcade. That explains jerry's confusion, I guess.

Thanks, I do not know that the hack is limited by the map of this track.  But the right track is on the disk track29 same as the ending ( Confused  seems that the only person that can correct this is Smoke)

jerrymh
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 22 May 2021 - 20:11

jerrymh wrote:Thanks, I do not know that the hack is limited by the map of this track. But the right track is on the disk track29 same as the ending ( Confused seems that the only person that can correct this is Smoke)
Hmm, maybe void can hack/correct this and make it play the correct track to compare to arcade as Relikk had suggested. This is beyond my scope of knowledge to do myself. Let us see what turns out from this.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrymh Sat 22 May 2021 - 22:07

jerrymh
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by void Sun 23 May 2021 - 6:14

pepillopev wrote:
jerrymh wrote:Thanks, I do not know that the hack is limited by the map of this track.  But the right track is on the disk track29 same as the ending ( Confused  seems that the only person that can correct this is Smoke)
Hmm, maybe void can hack/correct this and make it play the correct track to compare to arcade as Relikk had suggested. This is beyond my scope of knowledge to do myself. Let us see what turns out from this.

Ofcourse it's technically possible. But I think a bit beyond the scope of this specific hack. At this point it patches the original retail code. So mk2 and mk2u share the exact same patch. No mk2u specific code other than the additional track mapping data. But to implement this I would need to hack the hack Wink

Maybe a separate patch just to remap that track would be better.

Best thing would be if Smoke patched it ofc Smile

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by void Mon 24 May 2021 - 13:06

pepillopev wrote:

The time has come Razz

I made some changes and did some cleanup

• the code shared between mega drive and 32X is now explicitly relocatable to account for the differences in the memory map
  • Auto detect the starting address for the 32X version so variable SEGA_32X_PAL is removed from the source.

Here are the 32X patches: https://mega.nz/file/WDgA2RwK#7dsO5IGEjl6TTEhsgAgS1-cH3cejUXROJ3zMD3I7IHc

If it still works I'll push the code to github. I'm considering this project finished then.

Maybe I'll look into fixing some stuff in unlimited later as a separate patch.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 24 May 2021 - 16:42

@void I am currently out of town for work related issues. I will be back until this Friday. I won’t be able to test this on real hardware until then. Unless someone else has a MegaSD or MED Pro with 32X+SegaCD to test.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by void Mon 24 May 2021 - 17:38

pepillopev wrote:@void I am currently out of town for work related issues. I will be back until this Friday. I won’t be able to test this on real hardware until then. Unless someone else has a MegaSD or MED Pro with 32X+SegaCD to test.

No problem. I tested as much as I could (just the separate parts) so I think it's ok. But you never know 100% for sure until it's tested on the actual hardware. I pushed to changes to github now.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by void Sat 12 Jun 2021 - 6:41

pepillopev wrote:
jerrymh wrote:Thanks, I do not know that the hack is limited by the map of this track.  But the right track is on the disk track29 same as the ending ( Confused  seems that the only person that can correct this is Smoke)

I updated the release with a remapping of the intro and bio screens to the ending track for MK2 Unlimited. I also changed the 32x startup process since the previous patch version. So hopefully that still works.

If everything is working as expected I think this patch is finished.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrymh Sun 13 Jun 2021 - 19:02

void wrote:
pepillopev wrote:

I updated the release with a remapping of the intro and bio screens to the ending track for MK2 Unlimited. I also changed the 32x startup process since the previous patch version. So hopefully that still works.

If everything is working as expected I think this patch is finished.

nice, Thank you Void Blue1

jerrymh
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperFeistyFox Wed 11 May 2022 - 9:07

The MegaSD firmware was recently updated to include support for 32X+ (games using digital CDDA tracks from CUE files). I don't have a 32X, so I was wondering if the MegaSD can now play Mortal Kombat 2 for 32X with CD quality music?

SuperFeistyFox
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2020-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 9:51

It could if there was a patch for it, but there isn't one at the moment.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 11:48

SuperFeistyFox wrote:The MegaSD firmware was recently updated to include support for 32X+ (games using digital CDDA tracks from CUE files). I don't have a 32X, so I was wondering if the MegaSD can now play Mortal Kombat 2 for 32X with CD quality music?

I'm curious too. Made a quick md+ version of the patch. But I can't test it. So I don't know if it works.

Last edited by void on Wed 11 May 2022 - 13:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed outdated link)

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 11:52

Unfortunately I can't test it either as I can't find my 32X. I think it's in the attic, but it's a pain the backside to access at the moment.

I could pass it on in the Terraonion Discord. Is there any information about the track listing that you can share?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 12:08

Relikk wrote:Unfortunately I can't test it either as I can't find my 32X. I think it's in the attic, but it's a pain the backside to access at the moment.

I could pass it on in the Terraonion Discord. Is there any information about the track listing that you can share?

It should be compatible with the audio packs you made for the mk2 patch.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 12:09

Cool. I've linked the patch and audio in the TO Discord. I'll keep you informed.

I'm going to have to go hunting for my 32X.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 12:40

A little vague, but initial reports come back saying "no music plays". Tried editing headers and file names to match, but to no avail.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next