Mortal Kombat II Unlimited

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 3 Empty Re: Mortal Kombat II Unlimited

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 12:52

Relikk wrote:A little vague, but initial reports come back saying "no music plays". Tried editing headers and file names to match, but to no avail.

Yeah I think there is something undocumented I should do. The release notes are a bit vague. Was looking at the 32x hw manual. I think I need to set RV bit 0 in register A15106 to 1 to enable cartridge access which then probably allows the MD+ overlay to function.

Will have a look later.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2021-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 13:16

Ok I made an update using banked switching on the 68000 to access the md+ overlay. I think just flipping RV from the 68000 is a bit dangerous lol. If that does not work I don't know what else to do.

Bummer I can't test myself.

Last edited by void on Wed 11 May 2022 - 14:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed outdated link)

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 13:25

Apparently there's still nothing, unfortunately. Vic, one of the the authors of the DOOM Resurrection 32X/32X+ patch wanted me to pass this on, in case you may not have seen it. It may help.

https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/blob/master/src-md/megasd.c
Relikk
Relikk

Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Boo_Berry Wed 11 May 2022 - 13:38

If you need testing done, I can do this as I have the setup ready to go. Smile
Mr_Boo_Berry
Mr_Boo_Berry
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 14:12

Relikk wrote:Apparently there's still nothing, unfortunately. Vic, one of the the authors of the DOOM Resurrection 32X/32X+ patch wanted me to pass this on, in case you may not have seen it. It may help.

https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/blob/master/src-md/megasd.c

Ok thanks, I found that code earlier. I'm not familiar with 32x but setting RV from the 68k side seemed a bit dangerous depending on what the SH2 is doing. That's why I tried 68k banked access (which was already setup at the 68k intercept code anyway).

Anyway made a new patch using Doom's method. Hopefully that works:
https://mega.nz/file/je4QwLwA#bsAixrF8xO7AT046_srE_h1DEJlWUNGJSoYD030Vw1E

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 14:14

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:If you need testing done, I can do this as I have the setup ready to go. Smile

Yeah that would be helpful, thanks.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Boo_Berry Wed 11 May 2022 - 14:22

Just tried this one, it seems to crash before the title screen, didn't hear any music or anything like that though.

Vic did mention in the TO Discord chat that... "also, when RV bit is set to 1, 32X can't access the ROM anymore, that includes program code as well". Just in case that's something needed to be known.
Mr_Boo_Berry
Mr_Boo_Berry
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by void Wed 11 May 2022 - 14:44

Yes I read that in the 32x manual that's why I wanted to go the banked access route which I assumed didn't need to touch RV...

But I think I will let someone else take up the task Razz. Not sure what to do to get it to work.

The source code for the msu-md patch which already has 32x support is public on my github: https://github.com/jvisser/msu-md-mk2.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 11 May 2022 - 17:28

I know when converting MSU-MD patches to MD+, Pev used to pretty much just remove the MSU-MD driver and it'd usually be ready to go. Were the MD+ patches you came up with much different than if you just did that to your MSU-MD patch? Or were they largely the same?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Thu 12 May 2022 - 3:56

Relikk wrote:I know when converting MSU-MD patches to MD+, Pev used to pretty much just remove the MSU-MD driver and it'd usually be ready to go. Were the MD+ patches you came up with much different than if you just did that to your MSU-MD patch? Or were they largely the same?

Never made any MD+ patch before.

Made a mistake with code being in ROM and then switching RV which of course messes up the currently running code. I think Doom loads the MegaSD code in RAM for that reason through .data section if I understand correctly.

Also just saw that the MD+ register address is in the lower 1MB range, I misread and though it was in 3MB-4MB range so I used the bank/address anyway in earlier attempts lol

Here is a new attempt: https://mega.nz/file/ODABjYqC#l9uNJC8klUy2fqo3hJGKGxciipF-lA0UCMAM4cApsH8

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 12 May 2022 - 4:04

void wrote:Never made any MD+ patch before.

I know. Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 3 1f604 I was referring to the couple of patches you created yesterday.

Thanks. I'll pass it on.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Thu 12 May 2022 - 4:13

Relikk wrote:
void wrote:Never made any MD+ patch before.

I know. Mortal Kombat II Unlimited - Page 3 1f604 I was referring to the couple of patches you created yesterday.

Thanks. I'll pass it on.

Oh yeah I misread. Doing everything in a hurry lol because I should be doing other things and not work on MD+ patches lol.

I now just tried the DOOM way of running code from RAM and switching RV as that is proven to work by DOOM. Banked access should be easier to use though and allow MD+ access from ROM I think.

Thanks

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Boo_Berry Thu 12 May 2022 - 5:59

Latest patch works! Very Happy 32X+ Mortal Kombat II is a go!
Mr_Boo_Berry
Mr_Boo_Berry
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by void Thu 12 May 2022 - 13:09

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:Latest patch works! Very Happy 32X+ Mortal Kombat II is a go!

Cool! Thanks for testing.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 12 May 2022 - 13:17

Some people have reported some freezing and graphical glitching problems, in-game and letting it run through demos for 10 minutes.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Thu 12 May 2022 - 14:57

Relikk wrote:Some people have reported some freezing and graphical glitching problems, in-game and letting it run through demos for 10 minutes.

Ok I made 2 new versions using RV=0. One uses banked area from $900000 and the other non banked from $880000 (preferred).

https://mega.nz/file/KD5WGQbQ#jZuM5CDGkSEldskcrIm83qYmJt4rTnMBYpCLx4yeAQg

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Boo_Berry Thu 12 May 2022 - 15:32

Both seem to work fine, but I'll let the non-banked version loop the intro and demos for awhile and see what happens.

EDIT: Seems to work fine, didn't see any graphical glitches this time! Excellent work!
Mr_Boo_Berry
Mr_Boo_Berry
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by void Fri 13 May 2022 - 8:01

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:Both seem to work fine, but I'll let the non-banked version loop the intro and demos for awhile and see what happens.

EDIT: Seems to work fine, didn't see any graphical glitches this time! Excellent work!

Good stuff! Thanks again for testing. I assumed it would be more stable this way if it did work.

So @Relikk I guess it can be added to the release page? (the non banked version).

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 13 May 2022 - 8:55

Do you want to add it and link to your GitHub, or would you rather I rehosted it?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by void Fri 13 May 2022 - 9:11

Relikk wrote:Do you want to add it and link to your GitHub, or would you rather I rehosted it?

Maybe rehost it for now if that's ok.

I pushed the code for the patch as is in a separate branch in my github btw.

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 13 May 2022 - 9:28

Will do.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Boo_Berry Fri 13 May 2022 - 10:03

void wrote:Good stuff! Thanks again for testing. I assumed it would be more stable this way if it did work.

No problem, thanks for doing this! Between this and Doom 32X Resurrection, I can no longer say anything bad about the 32X. Very Happy

P.S. Somebody was asking if it was viable to also add support to the MKII 32X Ultimate Edition hack found here? https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5521/ I'm not sure, as that hack seems to change some of the music.
Mr_Boo_Berry
Mr_Boo_Berry
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by void Fri 13 May 2022 - 10:04

Relikk wrote:Will do.

Thanks, only just noticed it's called "32x+" which seems very logical lol

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by void Fri 13 May 2022 - 10:13

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:
void wrote:Good stuff! Thanks again for testing. I assumed it would be more stable this way if it did work.

No problem, thanks for doing this! Between this and Doom 32X Resurrection, I can no longer say anything bad about the 32X. Very Happy

I remember being so disappointed in the 32x in the 90's. It really was the final nail for me with Sega then. I sold my tower of power for cheap which I regret now lol. Recently found some remnants from it at my moms attic like cib sonic cd eu and pristine 32x manual.

32x is insanely expensive now here :/ I had some idea's for 32x enhancement rom hacks for standard md games. But emulation sucks so I cant test without the real deal.

Mr_Boo_Berry wrote:
P.S. Somebody was asking if it was viable to also add support to the MKII 32X Ultimate Edition hack found here? https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5521/ I'm not sure, as that hack seems to change some of the music.

Probably just works out of the box?

void
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3