How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM?

Go down

How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM? Empty How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM?

Post by Videogamer555 Thu 17 Jun 2021 - 18:00

When I use Hirule Magic to add some things, like sprites, items, chests, and even lightable torches (whether editing the overworld or dungeons), I find that often the game says I can't add anymore. Usually this happens if I haven't removed some other things within the same category I'm trying to add, but if there's nothing in that category already, it sometimes won't let me add any at all. It seems that the game has a maximum number that it can take (based on physical space in the ROM data) and it can't add anymore, of some others aren't removed. But is there some workaround for this? For example, can I use HM to expand the ROM and then add more content than was originally in the game?

Videogamer555
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-06-17

Back to top Go down

How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM? Empty Re: How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM?

Post by Puzzledude Fri 18 Jun 2021 - 6:53

Long story short: it is the best to stay in the limits of the original game. Thus you can not just add things, you need to first remove some material to be able to add it elsewhere. The Rom is stuffed already and lacking space severely. You will surely bug out your Rom after some edits anyway due to this fact, no matter what you do, specially if you start any edits without emptying some rooms first (refering specially to indoors, while outdoors are much more stable).

Expanding the Rom to 2MB is a must, but again actually repointing data to the expanded space will render the game incompatible with the editor and being incompatible in general. For instance repointing GFX data outside of the original space will produce GFX bug-displays for unknown reasons.

However there is a very complex mathod to in fact add more material, but this renders the rom incompatible with Hyrule Magic, so this is not something you want. Specially sprites are problematic. You just don't expand the number of those if you want compatibility with Hyrule Magic.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM? Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM? Empty Re: How do I add more sprites to the Zelda III ROM?

Post by Videogamer555 Fri 18 Jun 2021 - 15:40

Puzzledude wrote:Long story short: it is the best to stay in the limits of the original game. Thus you can not just add things, you need to first remove some material to be able to add it elsewhere. The Rom is stuffed already and lacking space severely. You will surely bug out your Rom after some edits anyway due to this fact, no matter what you do, specially if you start any edits without emptying some rooms first (refering specially to indoors, while outdoors are much more stable).

Expanding the Rom to 2MB is a must, but again actually repointing data to the expanded space will render the game incompatible with the editor and being incompatible in general. For instance repointing GFX data outside of the original space will produce GFX bug-displays for unknown reasons.

However there is a very complex mathod to in fact add more material, but this renders the rom incompatible with Hyrule Magic, so this is not something you want. Specially sprites are problematic. You just don't expand the number of those if you want compatibility with Hyrule Magic.

Is HM hardcoded with the correct number of sprites in each room? Or is it reading a sprite limit variable from the game somewhere? If it is a variable, then the game itself being expanded would ideally allow adding a lot more content to the game. The problem I have is I want to add content to a STARTING location, in order to test out some features. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm editing a dungeon, and then to test it I need to walk all the way from the nearest spawn point (Link's house, Sanctuary, or Mountain) to the dungeon I edited. I want to test some of the sprites and stuff directly in Link's house. Unfortunately, one of the things I want to test is something that never existed in Link's house in the original version of the game. And that is torches. I can remove sprites or other things and then replace them later, but I can't remove any torches in Link's house, because there never were any in the original. You can't remove it if it never existed. But when I try to add torches in Link's house, HM says I can't add any. Apparantly the maximum allowed number of torches in Link's house is zero. I would like to overcome this obstacle, by expanding the ROM, and then find a tool that can actually work with the expanded ROM. I know that there's another tool similar to HM called ZScream, but I don't know if it can work with an expanded ROM.

Videogamer555
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-06-17

Back to top Go down