Where are the important offsets in the ROM file?

Go down

Where are the important offsets in the ROM file? Empty Where are the important offsets in the ROM file?

Post by Videogamer555 Sat 19 Jun 2021 - 8:02

I mean file offsets for the ROM file, not the memory location when the ROM is loaded in the SNES. For example, what is the offset to the overworld map layout? I assume that the overworld map is a byte array, and that each byte points to a graphics tile in the graphics tile set. Each tile is 16x16 pixels in size, and the overworld map itself is 256 tiles wide and 256 tiles high. And there's 2 dimensions, plus one set of special areas, for a total of 3 such tile index array. So the overworld map takes 65536 bytes for each tile index array, for a total of 196608 bytes in the ROM, and each byte is an index to a tile in the graphics tile set. But are these 3 arrays of bytes/indices? What are the offsets they are at in an unmodified ROM file? Also what is the offset to the tile set? Of course each pixel in a single tile is itself an index to a color in the game's color palette, so I also will need to know where the game's palette is stored. Once I figure these things out, I hope to be able to render the entire map, into a single image file for viewing on a computer.

Videogamer555
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-06-17

Back to top Go down