PCM File Locations

Go down

PCM File Locations Empty PCM File Locations

Post by HumanResources Tue 20 Dec 2022 - 12:03

Nyello!

After playing SMZ3 with MSU-1 hacks I've watched all of qwerty's PCM tutorials and am having a whale of a time converting tunes. :3
That said, a couple questions have crossed my mind as I convert, and I figured they were post worthy, hopefully some folks on the forum can lend some help.

Q1: Is there a repository for non-game specific PCM packs?
I ask this, because, while the forum does have links to PCM packs curated for specific games, most notably the master list here, there appears to be more than what's in that list dotted around.

These non-game specific PCMs are hidden off in random corners of the site.  I've also found a lot of content in Google Docs intended for moderation. (Which I assume is a Zeldix moderation doc)
I've used PCMs from that second link for both sides of SMZ3 music, even though they weren't explicitly intended for it they still sound good and offer a ton of variety in SMZ3.

Q2: What is Zeldix's PCM moderation and submission process?
I can't find a thread where moderation queues are linked to... the only way I found the ALTTPR moderation page from above was from watching Andy's streams.

It'd be nice to have a 1 stop spot to check out WIP PCM sets... and one day when I'm more practiced, I might submit some myself.  Smile

Thanks all.
HumanResources
HumanResources
Newcomer

Since : 2021-12-10

Back to top Go down

PCM File Locations Empty Re: PCM File Locations

Post by Cubear Thu 22 Dec 2022 - 0:34

the closest thread to what you're looking for is this one here:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2232-pcm-track-swap-master-list

but even the subforum it is located in would be a great place for a megathread or repositories for quick little one-offs to slot in wherever

https://www.zeldix.net/f58-pcm-track-swap

I don't think a separate thread for "orphaned" PCM files.. or whatever you'd like to call it, would be a bad idea overall.
Cubear
Cubear

PCM File Locations Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 22 Dec 2022 - 5:41

Q1: Is there a repository for non-game specific PCM packs?
No, but you could rename pcm from all various sets to play in your favorite game.

Q2: What is Zeldix's PCM moderation and submission process?
We are a small group of mods/admins and a fan site (so there is no "official" submission process. People usually post their pcm sets in the thread and we move them into first post.
Conn
Conn

PCM File Locations Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanResources Thu 22 Dec 2022 - 11:58

@Cubear Yep yep, I found both of those links, I certainly am NOT advocating for anything complicated... I'm just trying to figure out where everything is at.
That said, the 2 Google Docs I linked with the master list and moderation lists respectively are probably what I've used the most to download PCM sets, just because "everything" is consolidated in the same place.
It'd be a messload of work to incorporate it into the site I would think... I'd expect expanding the existing Google Docs would be sufficient and linking to it/them on a pinned topic. ...but I need to stop backseating. Razz

@Conn Yep that's pretty much what I do. The tunes typically sound plenty fine when repurposed for SMZ3. The only snag is when I get a PCM set that doesn't call out what each song is and I have to listen to the whole thing but eh... small potatoes.
Do you find that user submitted PCMs often need tweaking? Or do they generally sound good enough to be publicized without heavy-handed moderation?

Thanks again for the follow up. :3

HumanResources
HumanResources
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 23 Dec 2022 - 10:44

Do you find that user submitted PCMs often need tweaking? Or do they generally sound good enough to be publicized without heavy-handed moderation?
Well, of course pcm sets differ depending on the skills one person has who creates them. As said, we are a small community and from time to time people lay hands on created pcm sets or create the same set in better quality from scratch.
Usually we also publish low quality sets. We have no strict rules, normally the order of released pcm sets is by the time posted, but sometimes we list lower quality sets to the bottom.
I'm only into asm, l have no auditive skills at all, so the pcm set moderation is up to relikk and judgment mainly.
Conn
Conn

PCM File Locations Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Fri 23 Dec 2022 - 12:44

lol yeah.. I can make PCMs if I absolutely have to but I prefer to just deal with code as well.. it's far easier for me.
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanResources Mon 9 Jan 2023 - 18:38

Gosh really?

I feel like while some of the better PCMs are made by pros, about anybody with the right software can whip out PCMs.

Back in the days of SMW hacking I barely had a surface level grasp of ASM... I can't imagine the work that goes into the code for the MSU hacks themselves.
HumanResources
HumanResources
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Mon 9 Jan 2023 - 19:05

oh, making an MSU1 patch is actually pretty simple.

1. figure out how the music works
2. break it and reroute the music signals to the MSU1 instead
3. fix everything else you broke
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down