Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file?

Go down

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Empty Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file?

Post by Cyber_Yagami Mon 5 Jun 2023 - 23:05

Hey friends!

Im having some trouble to organize my roms, because i have many remixes of msu-1, so i question you if there is a way to rename in separate foldelrs to identify the games?

Thanks in advance.
Cyber_Yagami
Cyber_Yagami

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Image110

Since : 2018-11-26

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Empty Re: Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file?

Post by Cubear Tue 6 Jun 2023 - 0:00

yes you can rename anything, so long as the .sfc/.smc, .msu, and .pcm files all share the same filename.

so if you wanted to name something 
"really_long_descriptive_filename.sfc"
you'd also need to have a 
"really_long_descriptive_filename.msu"
and your PCMs would need to be

"really_long_descriptive_filename-1.pcm"
"really_long_descriptive_filename-2.pcm"
"really_long_descriptive_filename-3.pcm"

and so forth
Cubear
Cubear

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Empty Re: Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file?

Post by JUD6MENT Tue 6 Jun 2023 - 2:32

One thing that might be easier is just remaining the folder name everything is in to be what you want. However, cubear suggestion is correct as well.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyber_Yagami Tue 6 Jun 2023 - 19:53

Thank you all!
I'm having some problems with Recalbox that recognizes only the archive instead of folder, that would be great for me.
Cyber_Yagami
Cyber_Yagami

Is there a way to rename the msu-1 spc;sfc file? Image110

Since : 2018-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by VVV18 Wed 7 Jun 2023 - 15:01

Cyber_Yagami wrote:Thank you all!
I'm having some problems with Recalbox that recognizes only the archive instead of folder, that would be great for me.

To rename multiple things, be it folders, files of any kind, I use the Bulk Rename Utility
( https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/ ) You can see the preview of everything you want to rename on a page next to the main files, for me: there is no better tool, I've been using it for years.

VVV18
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Since : 2019-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisu Kuremu Sat 10 Feb 2024 - 22:44

VVV18 wrote:
To rename multiple things, be it folders, files of any kind, I use the Bulk Rename Utility
( https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/ ) You can see the preview of everything you want to rename on a page next to the main files, for me: there is no better tool, I've been using it for years.

That is such a useful program. Thank you for that! Works just as described and FAST!  Very Happy

I was wondering though, I just recently started messing around with MSU1 hacks and have the foobar200 program to listen to them. I noticed that some hacks have a manifest file which I opened with notepad++ and it shows the track numbers and track file names. Would it be possible to rename the tracks there and the PCM files themselves so that they can have a more identifiable name? This would make it easier if you want to listen to them in foobar2000. Or is it absolutely mandatory for the PCM files, the rom and the MSU1 file to have the same name?

Aisu Kuremu
Rope
Rope

Since : 2024-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Sat 10 Feb 2024 - 22:56

for the music to work correctly in emulator / flashcart i believe that they all need to be named the same.

the manifest files are not used in a modern context and are included mostly with old patches and for legacy support, i think..
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisu Kuremu Sun 11 Feb 2024 - 4:03

Cubear wrote:for the music to work correctly in emulator / flashcart i believe that they all need to be named the same.

the manifest files are not used in a modern context and are included mostly with old patches and for legacy support, i think..

Ahhh, so new patches don't need the manifest then. Well since the files need the same naming convention as you mentioned, then I guess it's for the best the manifest is no longer required. I was thinking that was somehow tied to what name the PCM files could have as well as the rom name.

Putting the necessary files into place to make the music work is easier than I thought then. I must have came across an older patch zip file that includes the manifest, xml, ips, and msu files (I just found a more recent version of the patch that doesn't have those other files). The less files to make MSU1 patches work then better I guess. Thanks for the clarification. Smile

I forgot to mention, do all games that have an MSU1 patch fall back on in game music if a PCM track is missing? I just tried one game and that seems to be the case. Or is that only for some games?

Aisu Kuremu
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Sun 11 Feb 2024 - 11:28

most patches aim to have "SPC fallback" but not all will have it. in some cases it was "impossible" (more trouble than it was worth) and so a "hard mute" will have been used.
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisu Kuremu Sun 11 Feb 2024 - 23:40

I see. I guess in those cases where you may have an incomplete soundtrack arrangements/remixes, you still need the original music in PCM for the missing tracks. That's good to know, many thanks Very Happy

Aisu Kuremu
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down