magic mirror upgrade

Go down

magic mirror upgrade Empty magic mirror upgrade

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 30 Dec 2015 - 11:50

how does traveling between light and dark work? can the magic mirror be programmed to transition between both worlds freely (i.e. return to the dark world on any square and vise versa)?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

magic mirror upgrade Empty Re: magic mirror upgrade

Post by Puzzledude Wed 30 Dec 2015 - 13:49

Yes you can. It's a one byte change and it should be in the compendium or in Vital hex addresses. If you change this byte, you can warp from light to dark or back anywhere, But this will lead to bugs (you can come off screen). Not recomended to implement.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

magic mirror upgrade Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 30 Dec 2015 - 14:08

so that is why the warp is only one way. what about warping back to the previous destination in a dungeon (e.g. returning to the dungeon entrance from boss room and back to the boss room?)

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 13:48

I have this idea:
Using the magic mirror to warp between the light / dark world versions of the same dungeon.

Example use case:
Continuously using the magic mirror as a dungeon item to be able to go to dungeon rooms that only exists in the dark world version of the same dungeon. And then getting a key in the dark world version of that dungeon to be able to open locked door in the light world version of the same dungeon.

Last edited by Jandazekon on Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 16:32; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 15:11

I have this idea:
Using the magic mirror to warp between the light / dark world versions of the same dungeon.

The problem is, there really is no dark/light world version of any dungeon. The dungeon system is independant of overworlds. It's on it's own grid. Cool concept though.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

magic mirror upgrade Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 16:31

Well you could make one big dungeon split in two, one part in the light world and the other in the dark world and then hook the mirror so that in that dungeon, it warps you back and forth between the two.

You'd then need to assign each of the light world rooms to their dark world ones.

A nice idea but definately advanced stuff!

I would love to have such a dungeon but I only have one overworld Razz

Founder

magic mirror upgrade Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 16:43

the way this would work is similar to the split dungeon layout that desert palace and skull woods have. the problem is however that you would need to design a map that will display both. oracle of ages had mermaid's cave which was a past and present dungeon. if anything it was a better concept than the spirit temple in which the layout hardly changed.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 16:57

The Parallel Tower in PW worked similarly.

You'd have to climb it three times in two overworlds and it had rooms part of that same dungeon spread accross the overworlds.

If we would have had a miror to warp between the two, who knows, maybe we would have to climb it less times! :-P

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 17:46

what about warp tiles? can they work the same way as they did in the Gameboy titles?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 18:06

I'll quote Euclid here:

I believe I had that nearly ready to go in Parallel Tower 6F but never bothered to implement due to HM being stupid and ran out of object space.

The asm itself is quite simple, because X and Y coordinates within each room ($A0) are controlled with $20-$23. So in effect all it is:
if top left room (via X/Y check) - use location A, top right room use location B, bottom left room use location C else location D.

^^I hope that's how the game boy titles works because I don't remember :/

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 6:36

wizrobemaster wrote:what about warp tiles?  can they work the same way as they did in the Gameboy titles?
In the overworld like the light world and the dark world.

There is whirlpools which can transport the player from one location to another location.

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sun 3 Jan 2016 - 13:12

hyrule magic has an unused light world tile. what was interesting about ages was that the time travel system was more accessible than the dark world where you can time travel almost anywhere except for the lost sea.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down