Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer - Page 3 Empty Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer

Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer - Page 3 Zelda-3-explorer

Patch Download:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4399/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first attempt at a hack (actually it is merely a modification) of A Link to the Past.

As you all know, ALttP enforces a very linear order of the dungeons (at least until you've played a large part of the game). This minimizes the exploration aspect to a large extend. The goal of this hack is to remove the linearity as much as possible, without changing anything substantial. In fact, I would very much prefer if the changes are completely unnoticeable if not invisible.

Obviously, it would not make sense to allow access to everything at any time. There are a few necessary "sync points" for the story: Link needs all pendants to get the Master Sword, to fight Aghanim, to transfer to the Dark World. Link needs all crystals to access Ganon's tower. Etc. I tried, however, to allow an as arbitrary as possible™ order to get the crystals and pendants, respectively.

Quite likely, someone has had this idea before. I could, however, not find a released hack.

So far, the (Overworld-only) changes are as follows:

Changes:

I have some things left to change, which are probably trivial for you guys.
So, if anyone could give me some pointers for these...

Questions:

And some other things ...

To-Do:

I'd certainly appreciate if someone finds something that could be changed to further remove dungeon-order restrictions without removing riddles or the like. Also, if I made mistakes somewhere, please let me know. Thanks!

md5 checksums:

Last edited by SePH on Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 17:26; edited 7 times in total
eyeballkid
eyeballkid

Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2016-12-26

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer :: Comments

Conn

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 7:00 by Conn

eyeballkid pm:ed me for help, here's what I did to fix the problem (next to setting 00CBAD: 0C --> 04)

upper rom: corrupt rom by eyeballkid
lower rom: original

when restoring the lower original marked bytes the sequence is fixed

Zelda III: Hyrule Explorer - Page 3 Image228

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 7:15 by eyeballkid

Conn wrote:
when restoring the lower original marked bytes the sequence is fixed

This is absolutely genius! Thanks so much Smile

I should definitively sit down and learn how this is done... I suppose you found the offending bytes with the debugger? There wouldn't be some kind of tutorial around that gets one started with this?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 8:19 by Conn

Great I was able to fix. I have 15 years experience in coding, so I know where to look, and how to work with a debugger. The technique I used was to debug the original and the manipulated corrupt rom with trace once, first logs making anything but trigger the bugged event (pulling the lever). Then I disabled the hook and set it again, triggering the event.

The result is two logs for each rom. I discard the first log (where superfluid actions are logged like walking and such). So the second log contains only the action of interest. Comparing the original with the corrupt log (without the superfluid actions discarded it was only 62 kb long) revealed a change in the X-register. So I searched where this change occurs and restored these bytes (given addresses above).

... and here we go.

As said, I have a lot practical experience, but for somebody without much asm experience finding such stuff is out of reach.

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 8:32 by eyeballkid

Conn wrote:[...] for somebody without much asm experience finding such stuff is out of reach.

OK, here I see my problem Very Happy

I understand what you explain in theory. I know how to use a debugger (e.g., gdb) for "regular" code. The methodology is obviously very similar. But the assembler code is simply unreadable for me... So, probably I should learn asm.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 13:36 by Puzzledude

I thought the further problem was on a different address, since the code might use a pointer and jump there. I wonder if there is a pointer to around 0271C0 in the section around 00CBAD.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 22 Mar 2019 - 14:54 by Conn

Yes, the pointer is this one:
Code:
$01/CC9F B7 B7      LDA [$B7],y[$04:F1CD]  A:F1CD X:0034 Y:0000
$01/CCA1 C9 FF FF    CMP #$FFFF              A:A11B X:0034 Y:0000

$01/CC9F= pc 00CC9F (a bit later executed after 00cbad)
$04:F1CD=pc 0271cd (your pointer)

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 4:12 by zeldaistehbest

Hi, any chance to get this working with the Master Quest hack?
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/601/

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 4:33 by eyeballkid

zeldaistehbest wrote:Hi, any chance to get this working with the Master Quest hack?
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/601/

Thanks.

Hey! Did you try simply applying the two patches consecutively? Especially in both possible orders ...

EDIT: I gave it a quick try. Applying the Master Quest patch first, and the Hyrule Explorer patch second seems to work fine.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 19 Apr 2019 - 3:05 by zeldaistehbest

Hopefully it works. I'll try it out... Now I wonder if you can combine Master Quest, Redux and Hyrule Explorer.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Sat 20 Apr 2019 - 9:02 by eyeballkid

zeldaistehbest wrote:Now I wonder if you can combine Master Quest, Redux and Hyrule Explorer.

I also gave that a quick try, but Master Quest + Redux already fails...

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 20 Apr 2019 - 18:51 by Puzzledude

If you honestly think that combning random different IPS patches is a good idea, think again. While the game "might load", combining any multiple IPS patches is a bad idea, and will most surely produce bugged roms. You need to know exactly what the IPS is doing via hex and make sure the same hex space is not affected, but it usually is, so...

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 21 Apr 2019 - 4:07 by Conn

You can use this program to check the compatibility:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1080/

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Sun 21 Apr 2019 - 9:09 by eyeballkid

Conn wrote:You can use this program to check the compatibility:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1080/

In principle, very good idea! But Master Quest comes only as .bps / .ups, which the patch checker cannot handle... In principle, one could make an .ips from the patched ROM and then check, though.

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Sun 21 Apr 2019 - 9:20 by eyeballkid

Puzzledude wrote:If you honestly think that combning random different IPS patches is a good idea, think again. While the game "might load", combining any multiple IPS patches is a bad idea, and will most surely produce bugged roms. You need to know exactly what the IPS is doing via hex and make sure the same hex space is not affected, but it usually is, so...

Sure. This could very well not work... Hence, I said that I only gave it a quick try and the resulting ROM still loaded fine. That doesn't mean that it isn't broken at a later stage... However, someone interested in combining the different patches is the perfect candidate for testing the result - as they are obviously interested in it anyway.

In general, if the ROM structure was changed during the modifications two patches will most likely not work together as they assume specific parts of the ROM at wrong addresses.

I'd assume that if Hyrule Magic was used for both patches, the ROM will have basically the same structure. In that case, the patches should work more or less as intended.

In summary, what I meant to say is: I only tried if the ROM is not completely broken when combining these patches. In that cases it might be worth to "test by playing" whether it works. MQ+Redux broke right away, which means it will be more involved to get that working.

Back to top Go down

eyeballkid

Post Sat 20 Jul 2019 - 8:14 by eyeballkid

For anyone interested, there's a new version (v0.4) in the RHDN submission queue and attached to the first port here which contains a small adjustment to the big-chest room of Thieves' Town. Now it should actually be possible to get the Titan's Mitt before the hammer Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3