Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Empty Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 8:12

JohnathanMonkey wrote:Also got it working with Snes9x as well. Thank you so much for your help.

This may be a very stupid question, would I be able to use this music with Goddess of Wisdom if I rename the rom? I will leave you alone after this. Thank you again.
I actually decided to look into this and was able to bring the MSU-1 effect into Goddess of Wisdom hack, using qwerty's recoded snes9x to support MSU.

There you go.

1.) Download Goddess of Wisdom MSU patch and then patch it
to the original US ALTTP ROM with No header, thus 1024KB (and not 1025KB):

GOW addendum version by jammer506 with MSU

2.) Download snes9x emulator with MSU-1 support coded by qwertymodo:

3.) Download MSU-1 audio files by Retromancer:
(it's 260 MB)

4.) Download MSU-1 video file by Retromancer:
(it's 180 MB)

optional!
5.) Alternative downloads of 3.) and 4.) with different preferences,
such as sound volume and soundtrack version

6.) Put everything in one folder, the name of the folder should be GOW,
-GOW folder must be in the Roms folder,
-In the GOW folder rename the correctly patched original rom to gow_msu.smc,
-video must be renamed from alttp_msu.msu to gow_msu.msu
-same for all audio PCM files, they must be renamed to:
gow_msu-1.pcm
gow_msu-2.pcm
etc
gow_msu-35.pcm

no XML or BML scrips needed for this emu

7.) Load/Open the Rom file gow_msu.smc with the snes9xMSU and now you will have Goddess of Wisdom
hack with MSU sound and the intro video.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 21 Oct 2018 - 9:43; edited 2 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Empty Re: Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1

Post by Conn Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 12:31

Again congrats puzz. One question remains, the files by Daniel are at the ff volume standard while querty's code is at 60 standard. If this is a problem, you better link to the new files by qwerty that I e.g. loaded onto my cloud, find the link in the readme of

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/zelda3_msu.zip

Edit: sorry, you already placed these links as "optional". I think these should be the standard (60 volume) as Daniel's files are probably too loud.
Conn
Conn

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 12:57

I believe I actually have the same readme file and the shortcuts in the readme are the same as under my number 5.), which I labeled as optional. In my case, the files from Retromancer are a bit more loud (seems like here the music has priority over sound effeects), but under 5.) MSU is less loud (this is probably the value 60) which then covers for the sound effects. Here the other sound effects are more heard.

I think both are acceptable, as this is a matter of taste, and it also depends on how high you bring the PC's/or other device internal volume. But from what I'm using both versions (volume level FF and 60) are acceptable and the sound is ok in both.

But I heard that on some devices 60 is too silent (in this case you need FF) and on some devices the FF is too loud (in this case you need 60).

Also, this MSU-1 is great. This is the first time I'm actually running this new sound quality, as I don't really like Bsnes or Higan. I then also tried Conker, PW1.2, ALTTP, and finally GOW. Great sound.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 13:12

Conn wrote:the files by Daniel are at the ff volume standard while querty's code is at 60 standard.

Wait, what?  Since when?  My code has always used FF...

https://www.zeldix.net/t1136-new-simplified-loz3-msu-1-code

Code:
define VAL_VOLUME_HALF(#$80)
define VAL_VOLUME_FULL(#$FF)

If you're using a different patch with the $60 max volume, please change that.  I'm still working on the normalization project, which is targeting $FF for all music packs...
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 13:32

I am using the original MSU-1 code by Conn, which is on FF. Like said I've run both soundtracks and they both sound great. So no problems on my end at all. The only difference is that the soundtrack by Retromancer is loud/normal, the alternative soundtrack is much more silent, and gives a lot more "room" for the sound effects. My personal choice is thus the first (louder) soundtrack.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:13

Oh my, sorry qwerty, I mixed it up. Sure, my ALTTP and AST patches are at FF now (the others like bszelda1 still on 60 until...).

Alright Puzz, but the new FF volume files by qwerty match the native spc play. Daniel's are too loud in regards to original play, so maybe it is better to switch the points, 3,4/5 - but this is in the end pedantism Smile

Last edited by Conn on Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:18

Conn wrote:Oh my, sorry qwerty, I mixed it up. Sure, my ALTTP and AST patches are at FF now (the others like bszelda1 still on 60 until...).

Alright Puzz, but the new FF volume files by qwerty match the native spc play. Daniel's are too loud in regards to original play, so maybe it is better to switch the points, 3,4/5 - but this is in the end pendantism Smile
I have to say, that I was actually using your old patch and all sound values are at 60. LOL. That's why Retromancers loud soundrack was at normal sound and qwerty's were to silent. If this byte is set to FF, qwerty's are all ok and Retromancers are too loud. I already corrected the error and are now using the correct patch which brings all to A9 FF. But like said there are multiple soundracks. The byte FF is compatible to most of them, the 60 byte is compatible to the loud Retromancer's soundtrack. So it is ok either way, but for the final Goddess Remodel game I will use A9 FF in a combo with A Link Between Worlds soundtrack - volume fixed by qwerty in his primary MSU-1 volume adjustment topic. This one really sounds great.

Furthermore, users can actually use the new msu IPS (of 4KB) and patch it to the existing GOW themselves, or they can use the old IPS (of 2KB). In any case there is no problem if you have all the MSU PCM files downloaded (I now count 3: retromancers dated 2014= reorchestrated, then same lower volume reorchestrated but 2016, and ALBW also 2016).

1.) Loud Retromancer's Reorchestrated (2014), audio+video
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/rqmcchi7j61pxof/A%20Link%20to%20the%20Past%20MSU%20Audio%20Complete.rar?dl=0

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/9tfg549to1cpbrn/MSU%20Zelda%20Opening%20Intro%20and%20Audio.rar?dl=0.

2.) Normalized (more silent) Reorchestrated (2016), audio+video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B68bmgtrAXQAWkNzS0w0blc1ak0

3.) A Link Between Worlds version (2016), audio only
http://www.mediafire.com/?kggx1xt9pp23y3k

Last edited by Puzzledude on Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 17:09; edited 2 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:24

Yes there are multiple soundtracks, some of which are too loud or too soft, I'm working on that.  Eventually we'll have all of the soundtracks the right volume level, and that level will be intended for $FF in code, so thanks for using that here.  If there are any soundtracks that aren't the right level, please point me to them in the volume fixing thread so I can take care of them.

Also, the one main difference between Conn's code and mine is that Conn's code jumps immediately to half volume upon entering a house or the map, mine does a fade, Conn didn't feel like adding a fade to half routine after, what... 60 pages worth of discussion and bugfixing (don't blame him one bit)? The rest should be functionally identical.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:32

and that level will be intended for $FF in code
Yes, that's the most logical choice.

If there are any soundtracks that aren't the right level, please point me to them in the volume fixing thread so I can take care of them.
If the byte in the code is FF, then all volumes are correct: reorchestrated 2016 and A Link Between Worlds. Retromancers is just the same reorchestrated on a higher volume (which was obiously intended for the 60 byte). So it's all ok.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:33

60 pages worth of discussion and bugfixing (don't blame him one bit)? The rest should be functionally identical.

Yes, it was pioneer work, I had no reference, try and error with sloppy documentation (better: no documentation at all Wink ). Qwerty's code is cleaner, shorter, this half volume, and I suggest using his code actually.
I just do not feel the need to change anything anymore on my code. IT IS DONE Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:41

Yeah, it was an order of magnitude easier to write my version using yours as a reference than it would have been in your position without anything to base off of.  That's why I originally disassembled yours and published it in the first place, so other people could use it as a working guide.  Definitely not asking you to change anything now after all this time Smile

Puzzledude wrote:Retromancers is just the same reorchestrated on a higher volume (which was obiously intended for the 60 byte). So it's all ok.

Ok, good. I thought those were the only 2 aLttP packs, just wanted to be sure. I already have both uploaded in my volume-fixed thread. I'll try to get to BS-Zelda soon...
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 17:45

Apologies for hijacking your thread puzz.

Take your time. I will adjust my patches for bszelda, smw native and f-zero (where I think there are 3 different packages of f-zero, guitar version and whatever).
I will however not adjust the 2 other pcm packages I host, dkc2 and smw+, as I'm not the author and will not alter other people's work. So, unless the other authors alter their code to ff, I'd suggest leaving these 2 packages as they are.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 18:23

Sure. No problem.
Like said above, with so many soundtracks, there are multiple combinations possible on how to play MSU for ALTTP and the hacks as well. I'm not sure about the details for other games, but I'm sure the users will know what to do.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Wed 24 May 2017 - 23:32

Jammer506 posted a nice update to Goddess of Wisdom at romhacking. Is there any chance that this glorious MSU-1 hack could be modified to suit it?
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 25 May 2017 - 6:32

Jammer506 posted a nice update to Goddess of Wisdom at romhacking.
I'm aware. I posted this info in the news section.

Is there any chance that this glorious MSU-1 hack could be modified to suit it?
Easily doable. I just didn't though of porting it there. I will port it, if there is interest for this.
Note: the MSU will remain the same, as these are actually ALTTP MSU tracks, either Retromancer's or "regular" or A Link Between worlds (which I prefer).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Thu 25 May 2017 - 10:06

I definitely think it would be a great MSU-1 update to hold us over until you make the definitive remodel version.
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 26 May 2017 - 1:48

I do not know how much custom asm code GoW uses, but all asm usually is 100% compatible with any HM edits. Since GoW is an older hack where not many codes were available (esp. music hacks) there is even a high chance that you can simply apply qwerty's code and all works fine. Otherwise it surely works with some small tinkerings.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 26 May 2017 - 10:02

I definitely think it would be a great MSU-1 update to hold us over until you make the definitive remodel version.
There you go Smokemonster:

GoW + Addendum + MSU-1 downlaod IPS patch:

Patch to original ALTTP US non headered Rom with file CRC-32= 777AAC2F.

If you run this rom on regular emus/devices, it will play internal sound, if you have the emulator with MSU support, it will play the MSU soundtrack.

Note: I use the snes9x MSU emulator by qwerty and the A Link Between Worlds soundtrack. Best combo in my oppinion.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 21 Oct 2018 - 9:44; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 18:50

That is incredible, thanks a million Puzzledude!
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 9 Jun 2017 - 8:03

smokemonster wrote:That is incredible, thanks a million Puzzledude!
Sure. This is actually not that difficult to do, since the MSU between ALTTP, GOW and GOW addendum is compatible hex vise and soundtrack vise.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by darthvaderx Tue 30 Oct 2018 - 12:34

The current version (3.1) is not compatible with the MSU-1 hack.

darthvaderx

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Image110

Since : 2017-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 30 Oct 2018 - 19:15

No ensurance it works:
download
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/zelda3_msu.zip
and use the alttp_msu1_short.ips from the short_NTSC_PAL folder. This one is compatible with any zelda version out there, and since GoW wasn't much altered in terms of additional asm (as far I know), there's a good chance it works.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by darthvaderx Wed 31 Oct 2018 - 0:15

Thank you, it worked perfectly. Yes

darthvaderx

Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom MSU1 Image110

Since : 2017-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsolo Wed 31 Oct 2018 - 6:37

Where are the links for the 3.1 patch version?

Tsolo
Mad Batter
Mad Batter

Since : 2016-11-24

https://www.nochesskyperas.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightning Hunter Thu 24 Oct 2019 - 22:47

I was looking for an MSU patch for jammer506's version of Goddess of Wisdom, but I don't see any links in the first post. Does anyone have a link?

Lightning Hunter
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-03-07

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next