Black Magic and ALL the Source Code

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Magic and ALL the Source Code

Post by Trovsky on Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 13:04

Source code for newest version:
* assassin17 mirror: http://assassin17.brinkster.net/mathonnapkins/Black_Magic_2015_04_04.7z
* bwass.org/bucket: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Black_Magic_2015_04_04.7z
Alpha source code
* GitHub: https://github.com/trovsky/Black-Magic
* bwass.org/bucket: http://bwass.org/bucket/Black_Magic_src_a09.zip

Trovsky

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Magic and ALL the Source Code

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 7:46

This is incomplete I presume? I thought MoN abandoned the project or has not really been heard of in a while.

wizzrobemaster

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 11:49

Yes, it is incomplete.

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 19:39

Was progress made or is this posted so that anyone can finish what MoN started?

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 0:41

No progress made in some time. This was posted because no mirrors exist.

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 1:16

Which probably will not happen any time soon either. I really wish to see this continue. HM is such a headache.

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 1:45

wizzrobemaster wrote:Which probably will not happen any time soon either. I really wish to see this continue. HM is such a headache.

Please check out Zeldix Magic. It's an in-progress, open source alternative to Hyrule Magic.

https://www.zeldix.net/t1284-zeldix-magic

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 2:27

So once this program gets complete, BM will no longer be needed?

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 6:17

BM will always be needed, unless you want to die from some sort of sepsis.
assassin17

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 6:28

assassin17 wrote:BM will always be needed, unless you want to die from some sort of sepsis.

What is that supposed to mean exactly?

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 6:49

wizzrobemaster wrote:
assassin17 wrote:BM will always be needed, unless you want to die from some sort of sepsis.

What is that supposed to mean exactly?  
Probably the user just getting frustrated by your obvious lack of logic, since Zeldix magic can/will do exactly the same (and more) as HM or BM. If any of these 3 would be finished and not produce bugged roms, then obviously this will render the other 2 obsolete.

Further estimate is this:
HM will stay in its buggy nature and is thus not recomended to use if you don't know how, BM is unfinished and probably will stay unfinished, which makes Zeldix magic the biggest hope to become the only finished nonbugged primary editor for this game, and can also handle things better, like data trasfers and pointer reading etc, which will thus make it the most user-friendly, so the user will not be required to know the code in hex.

PS

BM is short for Bone Marrow, while BM cells are importaint when producing the antibodies for sepsis.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 6:56; edited 1 time in total

Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 7:01

Oh so it was a joke. In other words this ZM project is currently in progress I presume.

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 12:03

wizzrobemaster wrote:Oh so it was a joke. In other words this ZM project is currently in progress I presume.
The big picture:
Hyrule Magic is a buggy mess and Black Magic is unfinished and will never be complete. Zeldix Magic is a project managed by me and is in-progress. The project was created to replace both Black Magic and Hyrule Magic. Yes, Zeldix Magic is in-progress and incomplete. You can see the current progress on my GitHub repo. The strength of Zeldix Magic is that the code is organized and clean. Anyone can add their code to the project, which Zarby and Superskuj have done already. Puzzledude, qwertymodo, and others have helped me too.

HM and BM are disorganized in the sense that the files are all over the place and that both don't use dedicated classes for certain operations. For example, my project has a class for ROM input and output, while HM and BM just pass around an array.

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:01

You can see the current progress on my GitHub repo.
Yes, the progress is incredible, considering how much new files were added/done in such a small amount of time.

The strength of Zeldix Magic is that the code is organized and clean. Anyone can add their code to the project, which Zarby and Superskuj have done already.
This is good news too, since it is always nice to see, if code done by others (superskuj's Sprite editor) can be compatible with what someone else is working on.

HM and BM are disorganized in the sense that the files are all over the place and that both don't use dedicated classes for certain operations. For example, my project has a class for ROM input and output, while HM and BM just pass around an array.
Exactly. BM even needs xkas to insert changes via ASM patching - which is absurd bytheway, since obviously the program/editor needs to write "into" the file, make changes and save it (without any other programs).

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:23

Puzzledude wrote:This is good news too, since it is always nice to see, if code done by others (superskuj's Sprite editor) can be compatible with what someone else is working on.

I had to change his code quite a bit actually but nothing too serious. I removed about 400 lines of code, most was related to copy-and-pasting and that he has using an array to read and write from the ROM (it was still a solid program though. What can I say, I like clean code!) I have yet to make Zarby's decompression code compatible with my program.

Puzzledude wrote:Exactly. BM even needs xkas to insert changes via ASM patching - which is absurd bytheway, since obviously the program/editor needs to write "into" the file, make changes and save it (without any other programs).
That's just stupid...

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:35

I had to change his code quite a bit actually but nothing too serious. I removed about 400 lines of code, most was related to copy-and-pasting and that he has using an array to read and write from the ROM (it was still a solid program though. What can I say, I like clean code!) I have yet to make Zarby's decompression code compatible with my program.
So there are some compatibility issues (which is to be expected).

That's just stupid...
I didn't believe it myself, but this is from the readme:

This version of Black Magic utilizes the SNES macro assembler xkas.exe version 0.06 to perform data edits.
Dungeon data, and textual (monologue) data are saved via an older method that involves simple binary writing.
The overworld data, however, is patched into the ROM with an ASM file, in an effort to make the data changes more easily verifiable to a human.

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 14:13

it's an unconventional way, but what's wrong with it?
assassin17

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 16:00

So was Black Magic abandoned because of issues or was it unknown reasons? As for Zeldix, the source code was leaked from HM?

Should this project get complete, will it be easily compatible with Windows 10 unlike Hrule add-ons which requires more work to open the file?

Last edited by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 19:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merged)

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Sun 22 Jan 2017 - 19:24

wizzrobemaster wrote:So was Black Magic abandoned because of issues or was it unknown reasons? As for Zeldix, the source code was leaked from HM?

The latter. I don't clearly understand your second question, but Hyrule Magic's source code was leaked from the executable.

wizzrobemaster wrote:
Should this project get complete, will it be easily compatible with Windows 10 unlike Hrule add-ons which requires more work to open the file?

If this is about Zeldix Magic, as long as you can compile the source code on your machine's OS, it is compatible. As for how to compile the source code, you are on your own. I can confirm that the program is Windows 10 compatible.

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 23 Jan 2017 - 7:26

So was Black Magic abandoned because of issues or was it unknown reasons?
BM is stagnating rather than being abandoned. Either way, it will not be complete if you ask me.

As for Zeldix, the source code was leaked from HM?
There is no connection between the both source codes. ZM was thus far written completely separately and is not based on the HM source code.
HM source was not leaked, only a part of it was actually in the exe of HM itself.

I don't think you grasp the concept if the source is avalilable for a program. If it is you can: change the program, compile the program etc. This means it can be compiled for any operating system.

Hyrule add ons had no problems, it was Windows security which was blocking its dlls. I don't think ZM will have such dlls, since it can simply be compiled into one exe file (no dlls, additional files or instalers required).

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 7:26

How far in development is this program? Will a planned beta be released soon?

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 8:06

How far in development is this program? Will a planned beta be released soon?
You really should read the first post with this link:
https://github.com/trovsky/Zeldix-Magic

The entire source is on Github and can be downloaded. You can compile the source for any operating system and then run/test the program.

Also, do note that it was not long ago that this program started to be made, and it already made incredible progress considering the time frame in which all the currently existing code was written.

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 22:11

Puzzledude wrote:Also, do note that it was not long ago that this program started to be made, and it already made incredible progress considering the time frame in which all the currently existing code was written.

I think it took me about a week to code the monologue editor and ROM writing. Progress has been slowed down because of school, but the project is on my mind a lot and is worked on when I have free time. I generally update the repo when I feel like it but more often than not, I push commits when some progress has been made,

Puzzledude wrote:There is no connection between the both source codes. ZM was thus far written completely separately and is not based on the HM source code.
HM source was not leaked, only a part of it was actually in the exe of HM itself.
The only thing I took from Hyrule Magic is the drop down menu text. The code in both Hyrule Magic and Black Magic is not very readable to me. As a result, everything is from scratch.

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster on Thu 26 Jan 2017 - 18:50

When this editor is finished, what will it contain that HM does not in terms of room editing? Will it be easier to edit tile sets?

wizzrobemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Trovsky on Thu 26 Jan 2017 - 21:10

wizzrobemaster wrote:When this editor is finished, what will it contain that HM does not in terms of room editing? Will it be easier to edit tile sets?

Trovsky wrote:
wizzrobemaster wrote:Will I be able to rename the title on this new program. I had trouble renaming the opening with HM.

My advise to you is to go with the flow. I'd rather not be bombarded with questions inside and outside this thread about Zeldix Magic. Users in the past had issues with your questions because of the amount, so I recommend limiting them. Smile

Trovsky

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum