Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest

Go down

Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest Empty Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest

Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest Pd-quest

Patch Download v1.0:
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/wzBiFSob#YYW2nqJsv6f4ldtshRlr5ebAZtlX96SQzMVKYTvkCYM

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.
Floki

Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest :: Comments

Post Fri 13 May 2022 - 15:06 by wizzrobemaster

I downloaded the file off RHDN but it appears that the patch messes up where Zelda does not spawn in the dungeon. Is it because I am using an IPS file? I used two different clean roms and made sure that it was headerless.

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Sat 14 May 2022 - 4:14 by sinistra

wizzrobemaster wrote:I downloaded the file off RHDN but it appears that the patch messes up where Zelda does not spawn in the dungeon. Is it because I am using an IPS file? I used two different clean roms and made sure that it was headerless.

No, it's because you downloaded it from RHDN, they mess with Puzzledude's ROM's.

Try this patch: https://mega.nz/file/wzBiFSob#YYW2nqJsv6f4ldtshRlr5ebAZtlX96SQzMVKYTvkCYM

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 14 May 2022 - 10:51 by wizzrobemaster

sinistra wrote:
wizzrobemaster wrote:I downloaded the file off RHDN but it appears that the patch messes up where Zelda does not spawn in the dungeon. Is it because I am using an IPS file? I used two different clean roms and made sure that it was headerless.

No, it's because you downloaded it from RHDN, they mess with Puzzledude's ROM's.

Try this patch:     https://mega.nz/file/wzBiFSob#YYW2nqJsv6f4ldtshRlr5ebAZtlX96SQzMVKYTvkCYM

So 1.1 is a troll patch where the hack is unwinnable? I downloaded 1.0 and no problems.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 14 May 2022 - 13:16 by Puzzledude

Why would you download a patch from some random diabolical site lite RHDN, download it from here. The way I made the hack is in the upper shortcut, what they host on other random sites is their thing.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 14 May 2022 - 17:32 by wizzrobemaster

Puzzledude wrote:
Why would you download a patch from some random diabolical site lite RHDN, download it from here. The way I made the hack is in the upper shortcut, what they host on other random sites is their thing.

Because it looked it was the most up to date version.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 14 May 2022 - 22:15 by Puzzledude

wizzrobemaster wrote:
Puzzledude wrote:

Well, now you know it only has one version, the one I released. I wanted to update it, but it was canceled. I think Letterbomb changed some overworlds in some beta version to reduce/remove some of the mazes. So if anyone updates it, it will be his version, although I think I asked him to release it separately as an addendum hack, to not overwrite the original nevertheless.

Back to top Go down

Letterbomb

Post Sun 15 May 2022 - 1:56 by Letterbomb

Puzzledude wrote:
wizzrobemaster wrote:
Puzzledude wrote:

Well, now you know it only has one version, the one I released. I wanted to update it, but it was canceled. I think Letterbomb changed some overworlds in some beta version to reduce/remove some of the mazes. So if anyone updates it, it will be his version, although I think I asked him to release it separately as an addendum hack, to not overwrite the original nevertheless.

Yeah I have actually been working on a v2.0 of some sort for this hack, mostly because I was interested in trying to play/remake the game to make it better.
Example of things that I have done:
Zelda 3 - PuzzleDude's Quest PD-s-Quest-2-0

I think so far I almost have all of the dark world dungeons, light world dungeons are complete, light world still has to have more edits too. Also I think the addendum hack was for the GoW thing I did where I gave it a titlescreen, but I assume you'd want one for this as well. Oh and one more thing, are the Dark World areas on the overworld supposed to be inaccessible? I wanted to ask you this but I never got around to it lol

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 15 May 2022 - 14:45 by Puzzledude

Oh and one more thing, are the Dark World areas on the overworld supposed to be inaccessible? I wanted to ask you this but I never got around to it lol
Yes, I didn't bother with the dark world, so it's the same as original and I also always wanted to have a hack with all the dungeons in one place, which is the Pyramid in this case. So only Pyramid area was planned for Dark world.
In the ideal scenario the hack would have both overworlds done with dungeon edits as well.

Back to top Go down

Letterbomb

Post Sun 15 May 2022 - 15:30 by Letterbomb

Puzzledude wrote:
Oh and one more thing, are the Dark World areas on the overworld supposed to be inaccessible? I wanted to ask you this but I never got around to it lol
Yes, I didn't bother with the dark world, so it's the same as original and I also always wanted to have a hack with all the dungeons in one place, which is the Pyramid in this case. So only Pyramid area was planned for Dark world.
In the ideal scenario the hack would have both overworlds done with dungeon edits as well.

Yeah makes sense, though I think I'm going to go with just doing the dark overworld pyramid/death mountain. Reason being is because I do kind of want to keep the hacks original intent/paths, etc. However, this doesn't mean that the overworld is still just a maze, it's just redesigned in a way that the overworld feels way more natural than just having tree stumps everywhere.

Oh and also I have been editing some of the dungeons but for the most part I want to keep them the same with some aesthetic upgrades.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 24 May 2022 - 15:27 by wizzrobemaster

one thing i noticed that GoW needs to be changed is the last big dungeon has a potential soft lock. in PDQ some of the traps could be shifted a bit to not make it so pixel perfect of not getting hit.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Tue 24 May 2022 - 22:16 by Puzzledude

I'm aware. PDQ should also not have all those overworld mazes, it should have an entire dark world done not just the Pyramid, gfx changes to overworld and dungeons, more changed dungeons etc etc. I'm aware of all the problems and possible upgrades, yet nothing will change. The hacks are released "as is". Take it or leave it. Every potential change would mean to test the entire rom/game again, which is what will obviously not happen. Specially not if some random people have an oppinion. The only thing you can expect is a separate hack of PDQ (Addendum hack) by Letterbomb.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 25 May 2022 - 15:08 by wizzrobemaster

Does GoW have a version that fixes the dungeon soft locks?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 25 May 2022 - 23:24 by Puzzledude

wizzrobemaster wrote:Does GoW have a version that fixes the dungeon soft locks?
No.

When I was testing, I did not assume players could possibly be so dumb to jump down the ledge (which means you can not go up anymore), without first getting a very obvious jar with the key.

One such problem is also saving and quiting before reaching Zelda. The result is that you are put in a dark room with no way out (this starting SRM was not done). Again when testing, I did not assume players could possibly be so dumb as to save and quit or be defeated in such a short section of the game.

Thus if playing "normally" you should not be getting these "softlocks".

Back to top Go down