Rock n' Roll Racing (Mode 1)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rock n' Roll Racing (Mode 1) Empty Rock n' Roll Racing (Mode 1)

PATCH:
MODE 1 PATCH (by "Ti" - Compatible with both the MegaSD and the Mega Everdrive Pro)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mode 1 patch (Made by "Ti" and modified by "Retroplay" - Everdrive and Mega SD compatible)
This version of the patch must be applied to the rom with this name and checksums:

Code:
Name: Rock n' Roll Racing (USA).md
Size: 1048576
CRC32: 6abab577
MD5: 530c58317b5626fa15b77adab0aacc9d
SHA1: 9793572b6d64c85c1add0721c3be388ac18777d6

Audio pack for use with this patch: Original 6 track audio pack (by "Retroplay")

darthvaderx alternative audio pack: https://mega.nz/file/SB10TQbI#YAKsmz2G24u2rPkAeoFwXJwuKpFJHhkIfYH2lraDstE (see this link for track listing)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMULATOR:
GENESIS PLUS GX RETROARCH CORE

AUDIO PACKS:
For MSU-MD and MD+ supported flash carts:
REAL TRACKS + SOME ADDITIONS (EverDrivePro and MegaSD Compatible) (BY "PEPODMC")

FOR EMULATORS:
REAL TRACKS OF THE GAME + SOME ADDITIONS (For Genesis Plus GX) (by "Pepodmc")
This music pack has tracks in "OGG" format made for use in the "Genesis Plus GX" retroarch core. That core, sometimes, has some problems if the tracks are in "WAV" format. But with tracks in "OGG" format it works OK, plus less size of the music packs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS TO USE IN GENESIS PLUS GX (RETROARCH):

For the moment, use the "Genesis plus GX" i put in the thread, because the Core available in Retroarch to download its behind the last source changes, that enable to use all the msu-md patches. Rock & Roll racing is not one of the MSU-MD patched games, it uses an older type of Mode 1 hack, but its better to use this "Genesis Plus GX" from now on.

Put the core in this thread inside "cores" folder.

Then download the Sega CD bios (US,EU,JP) and put them in "System" folder.

The name of each files is:

"bios_CD_E"
"bios_CD_U"
"bios_CD_J"

And then, check in Retroarch if the files are the ones you need.
Open the emulator, in "load core" , select "Genesis Plus GX" , go back, enter in "information", then enter in "core information" and check this:

Rock n' Roll Racing (Mode 1) C1IurkR

If one of those three says "missing", its because the name of your bios files its wrong or its not the file you need, and will had to download from somewhere else. Without these files, the new tracks will not load. (depending of the region of the game)

And last, your rom must have the same name as the CUE file of the music pack. Change the file extension of your ROM from ".bin" to ".md". Always open the game from the ROM file of the game, not from the CUE.

Last edited by -pepodmc on Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 11:33; edited 6 times in total
-pepodmc
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2020-07-30

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Rock n' Roll Racing (Mode 1) :: Comments

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 16:56 by pev

@-pepodmc I appreciate your assistance in bringing this patch to our attention. However, this section is used for primarily for MD+ and MSU-MD only (with emulation support as a secondary option). This patch is not compatible with either flash cart (in its current state). Using OGG files will work for the emulator but not for the flash cart setup. I suggest you post this in the Discussion section until you have a fully realized solution available (ie, compatible with MD+, MSU-MD, and emulators in one package).

If I get no response from you, I will just move it there in the next couple of days and remove from here.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 17:14 by -pepodmc

pepillopev wrote:@-pepodmc I appreciate your assistance in bringing this patch to our attention. However, this section is used for primarily for MD+ and MSU-MD only (with emulation support as a secondary option). This patch is not compatible with either flash cart (in its current state). Using OGG files will work for the emulator but not for the flash cart setup. I suggest you post this in the Discussion section until you have a fully realized solution available (ie, compatible with MD+, MSU-MD, and emulators in one package).

If I get no response from you, I will just move it there in the next couple of days and remove from here.

Yeah no problem. I will post a "wav" version of each music pack Yes

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 17:21 by pev

-pepodmc wrote:Yeah no problem. I will post a "wav" version of each music pack Yes
Relikk is testing on MegaSD to make sure the patch works w/o issue. If all goes well, we can move this back into the MD+/MSU-MD section.

Apologies for being picky but we try to thoroughly test patches before posting to avoid any confusion or false bug reports.

Also, noticed that the OGG files are very low bitrate (they sound horrible). By any chance do you have any higher quality WAV versions? Please do not transcode back to WAV from OGG.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 17:43 by -pepodmc

pepillopev wrote:
-pepodmc wrote:Yeah no problem. I will post a "wav" version of each music pack Yes
Relikk is testing on MegaSD to make sure the patch works w/o issue. If all goes well, we can move this back into the MD+/MSU-MD section.

Apologies for being picky but we try to thoroughly test patches before posting to avoid any confusion or false bug reports.

Also, noticed that the OGG files are very low bitrate (they sound horrible). By any chance do you have any higher quality WAV versions? Please do not transcode back to WAV from OGG.

I updated the two threads with everdrive compatible music packs

I had the original tracks in mp3 format, searching them in flac format, and from there, making wavs will take some time.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 19:29 by pev

@-pepodmc Aside, from the low bitrate WAV files; all is well. I went ahead and created a Secondary Patch link that includes both MSU-MD and MD+ compatible patches along with attached instructions.

I tested the MD+ patch and it worked. So, my guess MSU-MD will be fine as well since it is the same patch. Only difference is that MD+ requires a specific header for it to work on MegaSD. Luckily, we won't have to do this 'specific header' stuff once the newer MegaSD firmware is released.

I will need someone to test the Mega EverDrive Pro patch. I do not have one to verify. That is all.
Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Aug 2020 - 19:37 by -pepodmc

pepillopev wrote:@-pepodmc Aside, from the low bitrate WAV files; all is well. I went ahead and created a Secondary Patch link that includes both MSU-MD and MD+ compatible patches along with attached instructions.

I tested the MD+ and it worked. So, my guess MSU-MD will be fine as well since it is the same patch. Only difference is that MD+ requires a special header for it to work on MegaSD.

I will update the Wavs. I need some time. Yes

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 4:12 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Hi there for Mega SD: Track 11 is missing from the WAV folder (it is in the Ogg one) and although I had no issues at all with Top Gear 2, No matter which version of Rock n' Roll Racing - v15 I use from the GoodGen v3.21 pack, your auto patcher does not recognise them. Any idea?
Thanks in advance

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 8:02 by -pepodmc

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com wrote:Hi there for Mega SD: Track 11 is missing from the WAV folder (it is in the Ogg one) and although I had no issues at all with Top Gear 2, No matter which version of Rock n' Roll Racing - v15 I use from the GoodGen v3.21 pack, your auto patcher does not recognise them. Any idea?
Thanks in advance

Music pack link updated with the track 11.

That is why i said that its more easy to download the patched rom from the internet, its difficult to find the exact version of the rom to patch.

Look in youtube , there are some guys that , in the description of a video, put the link for the v16.

I cant put it here.

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 8:18 by Retroplay

I don't know why Ti used a hacked rom as source to begin with.
Better to use a clean and more easily obtained rom for that.

Here's a bps patch, use Floating IPS to apply patch to clean rom with these checksums:
Code:

Hack v16 by Ti, "Clean Rom Edition":
https://mega.nz/file/X4sznbrZ#Kpn9TwvRFaPtHyHGSuPc2HVrpxVAFBetja5gptyeEpw

Last edited by Retroplay on Fri 7 Aug 2020 - 12:07; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 9:27 by -pepodmc

Retroplay wrote:I don't know why Ti used a hacked rom as source to begin with.
Better to use a clean and more easily obtained rom for that.

Here's a bps patch, use Floating IPS to apply patch to clean rom with these checksums:
Code:

Hack v16 by Ti, "Clean Rom Edition":
https://mega.nz/file/LpVXwCAL#98uACd7LHhHnSZ6gpKFdWkZ96dl0FGWuFDPonRm0h6A

This was the reason he gave in romhacking:

"The reason why I’ve made a patch for alpha-version, because it’s too many changes, different internal structure, and usage of data from some other games."

Will add your patch in the thread, then if someone has any kind of problem , can use the other patch, or download the rom already patched.
Thanks for the patch Yes

PD: Your version of the patch works for both Everdrive and Mega SD?

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 10:00 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

I tried the "clean rom" patch with the original rom with CRC32: 6abab577 but still no joy.
Track 11 is now included in wav, that bit is fine.
Thanks guys

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 10:44 by Retroplay

I double checked and the patch applies fine with Flips 1.3.1, audio plays too.

Is it audio not playing you're having trouble with or is it the patch itself ?

I made my own audio pack only using the original tracks the game was designed for.
It's a cue/iso image for Fusion and Genesis Plus GX compatibility.
It should be fine on real hardware too, at least the ToeJam audio pack by 32mbit use a similar approach.
Anyway, here's the pack.
https://mega.nz/file/qh0TEShT#nvRfHn-ZHDJ-FvPDaDtQPWE6W9PP2LvOzwraAYitg-o

Last edited by Retroplay on Fri 7 Aug 2020 - 12:06; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 10:52 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

The issue I find is that it plays the chiptune version (I am missing Ozzy!) but I will try yours to see if there is any difference

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 10:57 by Retroplay

I had a similar issue with Black Sabbath - Paranoid when I used WAVs, it would play nothing but static noise.
After I converted to a CD image instead it worked fine, strange though.
And yes, I double checked the cue sheet, nothing wrong with that. Confused
TL;DR,
Cue/iso solved my issue with the game.

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 11:10 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Right, I tried and still chiptunes version only. Your version still sounds like the chiptunes but I think may sound a little bit better than the original but I am unsure if it is different or just placebo (it takes few seconds to changue the games). It is baffling as the Top Gear 2 works with no fuss...

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 11:35 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

The weirdest thing about it is that the Mega SD Menu recognise the rom as MD+

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 12:22 by Retroplay

Did you rename the rom or iso so names mismatch ?

Also, you'll have to edit the first line in the cue sheet so iso name match the roms name in a text editor, if you have renamed the game.

Like so:
Game (Blah-blah).md
Game (Blah-blah).cue
Game (Blah-blah).iso

Edit first line in cue to:
FILE "Game (Blah-blah).iso" BINARY

Here's the attract mode running with my audio cue/iso.
it cycles through all six tracks:
https://streamable.com/iirpwr

Last edited by Retroplay on Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 13:07; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 12:53 by Leonardo_BVB@hotmail.com

Yep, I tried that and still no joy (I always rename them and changue the name within the ISO anyway). I will wait to see if it is me or more people have the same issue. Thanks for your help.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 13:31 by -pepodmc

Retroplay wrote:
Here's the attract mode running with my audio cue/iso.
it cycles through all six tracks:
https://streamable.com/iirpwr

Now that i think, Sega CD didnt supported loops, that why in games like Final Fight CD the Tracks stopped and started again. It supported loop but only from start to finish.

Perhaps that would be one of the differences between Mega SD patches and MDU-MD patches.
I mean, MDU-MD uses Sega CD as an original Sega CD game would have, and if those didnt supported loops, now will be the same.
When im talking about loops, i refer to Let the beginning of the track sound once and then repeat the rest again and again.

Mega SD support loops?

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 13:38 by Retroplay

I don't know if MegaSD support looping.

Keep in mind this hack is neither an MD+ nor MSU-MD hack, it's a "generic" Mode 1 Sega CD hack.
That goes for Top Gear 2 by Ti as well.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 13:43 by -pepodmc

Retroplay wrote:I don't know if MegaSD support looping.

Keep in mind this hack is neither an MD+ nor MSU-MD hack, it's a "generic" Mode 1 Sega CD hack.

Yeah, thats why i was asking. i think that for Top Gear 2 i will have to do manual loops.
Ten minutes tracks would be enough.

I dont think that it would be a problem with rock and roll racing, i mean, being tracks from real bands, its doesnt look bad for the track to finish and start again.

Edit: I asked Igor in twitter if MSU-MD support loops.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 16:56 by -pepodmc

Retroplay wrote:I don't know if MegaSD support looping.

Igor answer:

"MSU-MD as is driver supports only full track looping. However, ROM hackers can include some own specific functions to the drivers if they need extra possibilities."

So, the answer would be "NO".unless you make specific modifications to the driver. Depends on the author of each patch.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Fri 7 Aug 2020 - 11:13 by Relikk

A couple of important points to note here...

We want the patches to be compatible with both the MegaSD and the Mega Everdrive Pro. To achieve this, only one patch per ROM is required, and will work on both devices as long as the header is edited at 0x100 to display "SEGA MEGASD" instead of "SEGA MEGA DRIVE" or "SEGA GENESIS", as shown in this post...

https://www.zeldix.net/t1927p75-msu-1-for-the-megadrive-the-mega-sd#33502

Then you can create your IPS/BPS patch from that edited ROM and it will work on both devices. With regard to the Mega Everdrive Pro, it doesn't matter that it says MEGASD. It will work regardless. It's only so the MegaSD can detect that it's a Mode 1 hack.

Retroplay, your patch for the clean, No-Intro ROM doesn't contain this edit. Please update your patch if you can.

The next firmware released for the MegaSD will detect Mode 1 hacks by default without having to edit the header, so while this is only necessary until that firmware is released, if anyone is posting Mode 1 patches before it's released they must contain this edit. There's too much confusion and questions from people on Discord as to why they can't get these working on their MegaSD.

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Fri 7 Aug 2020 - 11:33 by Retroplay

Ah, sorry, I completely forgot about that.
See if this works better:
https://mega.nz/file/X4sznbrZ#Kpn9TwvRFaPtHyHGSuPc2HVrpxVAFBetja5gptyeEpw

(link also updated in my previous post)

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next