24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu Empty 24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu

24 Items menu base hack

Information: Implements the 24 item menu and hud, as seen in Gates of Darkness demo and other things, read enclosed info.
Rom: ALTTP (US), without header, expanded to 2MB

Screenshots:
24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu 24item10

Zip File: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/24items_menu.zip

Additional info:Implements the 24 item menu and hud;

Code Addresses: Multiple

Update (Version-6). Added the new codes for 4 digit rupee and x3 magic, goldstar and worn out glove. Added a rom file with every ips applied.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Close gap in 24 items menu by adding an extra item (shovel)

Information: Get shovel in menu instead of empty space, so you can have and use both the flute and shovel at the same time.
Rom: native rom with Euclid's 24 items menu *or* Parallel Worlds-prepatched ALTTP
Screenshots:

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu Image410

Ips Patch: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/pw_shovel.zip

Update:
1. contains 2 versions: one for 24-items menu (patch above) and one for Parallel Worlds
2. the 24 items version needs a flute_fix.ips to prevent the flute dig up infinitive times (shovel isn't replaced anymore to prevent this, address 0d/1be0 before the gold potion code). PW flute is obtainable in a chest so no problem here.

Additional info: You get the shovel from the dark world sprite (native Zelda) and Keep it after you dig up the flute, or you can place the shovel in a nice chest via HM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count play time with a menu clock

Information: This hack adds a play time counting clock to Euclid's 24 item menu.
Rom: 24 items menu! expanded Rom
Screenshot:

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu All-in26

Ips Patch: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/24_menu_timer.zip

Additional info:
The time is stored at srm 7ef339-7ef33a.

Note: the timer will first Show up when you collected an item.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 15:24; edited 4 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu :: Comments

qwertymodo

Post Mon 25 Apr 2016 - 13:24 by qwertymodo

A quick note in case anybody runs into the issue I recently did.  If you try to import a save file from a ROM without the shovel/24 item menu patch into a ROM with the shovel/24 item patch, and you have the flute in your inventory, you'll end up with a second flute in the shovel slot.  This is not a bug in the code, it's a side effect of using the original RAM location which stored both the shovel and the flute.  To fix the issue in your save file, just open up your emulator's cheat menu and set 7EF34F/00 (no shovel) or /01 (have shovel), then save and quit.

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Tue 14 Jun 2016 - 16:26 by qwertymodo

Interesting bug with the shovel.  Any ground tile with 3 leaves, with the bottom-right quadrant being grass, can be dug up infinitely.  It allows you to dig up an item, but never sets the tile as "already dug up".  This tile shouldn't allow you to dig at all (should give the "clink" sfx).

24 item menu and additional hacks (like shovel, time counter) for this menu WdV31lh

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 14 Jun 2016 - 18:32 by Conn

Guess Puzz is asked here. You can somehow edit a tile to certain properties (swamp, water, dig-able, non-digable, etc.) Maybe he knows which value need to be changed

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 7:44 by Puzzledude

Interesting bug with the shovel. Any ground tile with 3 leaves, with the bottom-right quadrant being grass, can be dug up infinitely. It allows you to dig up an item, but never sets the tile as "already dug up". This tile shouldn't allow you to dig at all (should give the "clink" sfx).
In typical roms this is fixable with the HM overworld editor in which you define the tile properties to what the other undiggable tiles are using. However this might be difficult to do/find in PW rom, in which you need to do it through hex.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:12 by Puzzledude

I tested this further. There is nothing wrong with the properties of that tile. All block types are 72, pretty much the same as the two tiles above, so no idea, what is causing this bug.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Wed 8 Feb 2017 - 20:51 by ShadowOne333

Thanks for these hacks!
I wanted to give some feedback regarding the new HUD.
It seems that if you get a heart to fill your life meter, you can catch a glimpse of the heart were it used to be near the new item box.

For example, when you grab a heart, the life meter's hearts change sizes if you have something like half a heart or so, and when the meter gets the new heart, you can see the change being somewhat mirrored in the lower half of the item box.
I suggest using frame per frame skips as this happens really quickly and it disappears from the item box once the heart has been fully transferred to the life meter, this only occurs during the animation of the life meter.

Maybe that's handled by another routine?
Just hope this helps with the hack.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 6:35 by Puzzledude

ShadowOne333 wrote:Thanks for these hacks!
I wanted to give some feedback regarding the new HUD.
It seems that if you get a heart to fill your life meter, you can catch a glimpse of the heart were it used to be near the new item box.

For example, when you grab a heart, the life meter's hearts change sizes if you have something like half a heart or so, and when the meter gets the new heart, you can see the change being somewhat mirrored in the lower half of the item box.
I suggest using frame per frame skips as this happens really quickly and it disappears from the item box once the heart has been fully transferred to the life meter, this only occurs during the animation of the life meter.

Maybe that's handled by another routine?
Just hope this helps with the hack.
I actually decoded this a while back. I didn't know this patch does not have this hex fix.

From my hex fixes document:
8.)
A) spining hearts in the HUD (all is for No header)
address 6F152, value must be 06 (spining on the left = parallel worlds)
, old value is 68 (spining on the right = Alttp)
------------------------------------
So this basically means the value should be 06 for PW (and if the heart is spining on the right when gaining health) then it is 68.
Not sure what went wrong here as PW already has it 06, maybe the patch undoes that.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 6:37 by Puzzledude

I just figuered it out. You must be using this patch with ALttP, since this patch does not interfere with the spinning hearts in the HUD. Which basically means using ALttP will require you to also manually fix the spinning.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 10:47 by ShadowOne333

Yes, that's correct.
I was trying it out on a clean ALttP ROM.
Changing the value from 68 to 06 did the trick, the spinning heart animation is now shown properly on the new life meter HUD.

Thank you so much!

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 10:54 by Puzzledude

ShadowOne333 wrote:Yes, that's correct.
I was trying it out on a clean ALttP ROM.
Changing the value from 68 to 06 did the trick, the spinning heart animation is now shown properly on the new life meter HUD.

Thank you so much!
You are welcome.

If you think about it, the spinning hearts are a simple gfx load, but only when gaining health. And this byte is actually the X position, as the HUDs don't alter the Y at all.

68 is a big number, since you count from the corner left up. So before reaching the other side of the screen it needs 68 in hex. But in the new HUD the hearts are on the left, so you can expect the new value to be much smaller, first heart is almost at 00, however the actual number is 06.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 11:03 by ShadowOne333

I was making the assumption that such value was the X position due to the value decreasing and being lower to E0. Wasn't that off after all. Razz

Thanks for the detailed info!

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Tue 14 Feb 2017 - 18:06 by ShadowOne333

Oh one more thing, it seems like the 24 item menu hack with the shovel over the L/R Item switch tends to bug out the game at some point.

I pinpointed that the issue begins when you grab the first bottle.
If you switch out the items with L/R, before you reach th ebottle, you can see the shovel and even the flute, and the shovel stays there even if you haven't even gotten it normally. You can then go directly to the flute digging spot and dig it up.

After that, the LR switching tends to bring up two flutes, one in its normal Item menu position of the new menu (Far left) and one right after the shovel.

Thought to bring this up in case anyone is interested in combining the Items menu and LR Switch patches.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 5:55 by Conn

Yes it's incompatible for a good.reason - I mapped the L button to monologue skip and the R button to super bomb. In conker the X button was freed since the map was set into the menu. In my all in however I cannot implement this LR switch feature...
So it was never made compatible with euclids menu, and I see no reason to port it due to the incompatibility with my all-in afterwards

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 7:00 by Puzzledude

I pinpointed that the issue begins when you grab the first bottle.
If you switch out the items with L/R, before you reach th ebottle, you can see the shovel and even the flute, and the shovel stays there even if you haven't even gotten it normally.
Unfortunately the 24 item menu is Not compatible with the patch which changes items using L/R. And you are right the problem begins when you get the bottle, because the bottle spot which opens 4 bottles was used to code the Shovel. Original game uses all (4 bottles and this 5th spot). The 24 items menu uses only these 4 bottle spots, the 5th spot is the Shovel. The L/R function is thus compatible only with orginal menu and its 5 bottle spots. You see, the 24 items menu has shovel and flute separated, the original menu does not, so obviously the L/R (coded for original menu) will fail.

The L/R is also incompatible with Parallel Worlds (gives a crash on the fly due to X+R hack in PW which deactivates layers, plus the 24 item menu - however this does not give a crash).

You can then go directly to the flute digging spot and dig it up.
This can be fixed with the additional "Flute fix". You see now you can have shovel and flute, so you could in theory dig up the Flute unlimited times. So you need this fix to tell the game to not give Flute if in the inventory.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 10:29 by ShadowOne333

Thanks for the explanation to both Conn and PuzzleDude.
It is not too much of a bother, the only issue is that you can get the shovel and the ocarina early, that's all. But doesn't harm the overall experience of the game at any moment.

Puzzledude wrote:This can be fixed with the additional "Flute fix". You see now you can have shovel and flute, so you could in theory dig up the Flute unlimited times. So you need this fix to tell the game to not give Flute if in the inventory.
Yes I have already applied the Flute fix.
What I was referring to is the fact than; when you get the first bottle, you can LR switch and you will get the Shovel out of nowhere in the menu, effectively making it now a permanent item in there, which means you completely bypass the shovel-get sequence in the Dark World and you can go straight to the Dig up spot for the Flute and get it right away before the first dungeon. Razz
But yes the Flute fix does indeed make it so that the ocarina is only obtainable once and not dig it up infinite times.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 10:53 by Conn

Well, you shouldn't apply patches if you do not know incompatibility side effects Razz
I wish I could port the LR item switch, but there is no way. I could easily branch the monologue skip (in monologue: skip; gamemode: L switch), but there is no convinient way to solve the already mapped functions like the secret discover or the superbomb on R press. I could map it to double button press (like L&Start together) but this may switch the item first before enabling the superbomb, and other combinations have similar problems. In the end I decided to renounce on the item switch.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 11:00 by ShadowOne333

Conn wrote:Well, you shouldn't apply patches if you do not know incompatibility side effects Razz
Hahaha yeah, I should Razz
Don't worry about it, LR switch is just fine for the original game, and it doesn't screw things up badly with other patches. Blue1

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 7:50 by lilpuddy31

could you release a small addendum patch for the spinning heart issue? sorry but I'm hacking illiterate...

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 11:03 by Puzzledude

I doubt anyone will make a patch that changes one byte.

Back to top Go down

ShadowOne333

Post Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 11:44 by ShadowOne333

lilpuddy31 wrote:could you release a small addendum patch for the spinning heart issue? sorry but  I'm hacking illiterate...

You can do it yourself, it's not hard at all.
Follow these instructions:

1. Download HxD (or any other Hex editor of your liking, I choose HxD for this example)
2. Open your ALttP ROM in HxD.
3. Press Ctrl+G and enter the following: 6F152
Now press enter to go to that location in the ROM.
4. Now you should see a value of "68" right where the cursor is blinking at, change this 68 to 06.
5. Save the ROM in HxD.
6. Open up your ROM in your fav emulator, the spinning heart issue should be fixed for clean ALttP ROMs now.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 19:52 by lilpuddy31

ShadowOne333 wrote:
lilpuddy31 wrote:could you release a small addendum patch for the spinning heart issue? sorry but  I'm hacking illiterate...

You can do it yourself, it's not hard at all.
Follow these instructions:

1. Download HxD (or any other Hex editor of your liking, I choose HxD for this example)
2. Open your ALttP ROM in HxD.
3. Press Ctrl+G and enter the following: 6F152
Now press enter to go to that location in the ROM.
4. Now you should see a value of "68" right where the cursor is blinking at, change this 68 to 06.
5. Save the ROM in HxD.
6. Open up your ROM in your fav emulator, the spinning heart issue should be fixed for clean ALttP ROMs now.

Ok cool, I'll give it shot

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 16:11 by KonaXKona

Is there any way to implement the X2 icon on the magic meter? Should I be using the method found in the New items pack?

Back to top Go down

PowerPanda

Post Mon 11 Nov 2019 - 15:53 by PowerPanda

Is there any code on how this was made? I would like to shift the menu so that the bottles appear in the 4 right-most spots, and the rest of the item order stays the same.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:01 by Puzzledude

PowerPanda wrote:Is there any code on how this was made? I would like to shift the menu so that the bottles appear in the 4 right-most spots, and the rest of the item order stays the same.
Long story short: it is noway for you to do this. Every item has an "ID". This ID rises normally. The items as you see them in the menu must remain in exact order as they are from left to right (no matter where in the menu though: 6x4 or 5x4 with integrated bottle) for the game to be able to read them normally and assign items to them. Even if you hack this: which took XaserLe no less then 1000 lines of code to rearange their ID's, there are still problems: for instance when you select the hammer, the ID is correctly changed, but when you press the button in game, the Hookshot GFX is loaded on hammer. So it is highly recommended to use the exact same order as original game: either 5x4 or 6x4 with bottles separated and the special place which opened bottles to be hacked into shovel to allow flute and shovel in menu - and even this shovel needed extensive ASM to code.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next