Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!!

Zeldix :: General :: News

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!!

Post by qwertymodo Thu 22 Dec 2016 - 18:30

Doing some trace logging on writes to $0348, the subroutine at $00882E looked promising, but sometimes it returns $0E and other times it returns $00 when on ice. Specifically, it works properly when running up, down, or left, but when running to the right and changing direction up or down, it returns $00, which allows the direction change.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!!

Post by qwertymodo Thu 22 Dec 2016 - 18:43

At this point, it's working reliably in dungeons, which is the biggest reason for wanting to do it, so even if it's buggy on the OW, I'll definitely be leaving this in. Still going to try and get it right though.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 4:15

Ok, so I really want to nerf the Nayru's Bay Armos Knights, especially since Mothula is fixed.  I've managed to get the code in place to only adjust their damage classes during phase 0 and 1 (so it also affects the single armos knight in the cave, which I'm fine with, but it won't affect later ones like Darunia's cavern and the Parallel Tower).  I'm also considering changing their attack class for the damage done *to* Link.  Right now they're set at 4/4/4 (i.e. they do the same damage for all armors), but I'm thinking about 2/1/1.  Maybe with the nerf to their health, I don't know if I need to nerf their attack as well, especially since that would be a global change, and would affect the later ones as well.

So, 3 questions:
1) Should I nerf their global attack values, or just the defense?

2) How many hits should I reduce their defense to?  The 3 attack classes I need to account for are boomerang (class 0), L1 sword swing (class 1), and L1 sword spin (class 2).  It's currently 12 hits, 48 hits, 12 hits (I could be off on those numbers, I haven't confirmed the spin damage, and it's been awhile since I've done a hit count with the sword, but it's 48 health, and I'm pretty sure the L1 sword uses the 1 heath hit class).  I'm thinking more along the lines of 8 hits (boomerang), 12 hits (sword swing), and 6 hits (sword spin).

Edit:  I guess class 3 (hammer), and class 8 (bombs) are also possibilities, but I'm not sure if they're currently set to do any damage or not.

Edit 2: Current damage is hammer = 16 hits, bombs = 10 hits.

3) From the damage class listing here (section 5), it seems like the later damage indices, which are 0, are unused.  Can anybody confirm this is true?  For instance, damage class 0 has values

Code:
0, 1, 32, 255 (Stun), 252 (Shorter stun), 251 (Very short stun), 0, 0

Are those last 2 0's unused values?  Because it would be much easier to pull this off if I can just use slot 6 for classes 0-2.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 14:11

As far as taking damage/receiving damage on the knights, why not just play around with some values and test them out and if you can personally beat them without it being annoying then you found some decent numbers.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 14:57

After how much I've played this game for testing purposes, it's a lot easier for me than most, leading me into the same position as Euclid and SePH when they first made the game, which is probably one of the reasons the bosses are so hard in the first place.  I'm not a good judge of the difficulty at this point.  That being said, it's the first dungeon, so I'd rather err or the side of too easy.  I'm not nerfing all bosses, just the one.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 15:03

I'm thinking more along the lines of 8 hits (boomerang), 12 hits (sword swing), and 6 hits (sword spin).
I believe this is the most logical choice. The interesting part is, that non of the haters playing PW though of beating this boss with the hammer, or indeed if they were defeated, go out and get the cane of Byrna and then beat this boss.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 16:11

I don't think you had enough hearts to get the Cane of Byrna in v1.1 before getting the gloves (though I guess you could bail out, go to the catacombs, collect the gloves, hearts, cane, then go back for the fight, but backtracking is another common complaint g. Also, it's really hard to hit them with the hammer, so I wouldn't actually consider that much better, even with the higher damage.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 Fri 30 Dec 2016 - 0:46

cycling through the USA SNES ROM's data, any enemy that takes 0 damage from any class always uses index 0 to achieve this.  i dunno about other game versions, and certainly not hacks.
assassin17
assassin17

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 31 Dec 2016 - 0:37

Turns out, no custom asm required, I just needed to find the tilemap in ROM.  Only took 3 freaking hours in the debugger, but it means no code to debug!

Parallel Worlds v1.2 PUBLIC RELEASE!!! - Page 3 IKYCEZ8
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 31 Dec 2016 - 2:42

Also, good news: Save and Continue now works properly in part 0/1 (previously, only Save and Quit worked, Save and Continue after death would reset you back to a new game).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 31 Dec 2016 - 23:29

Ok, everybody, the release is live!  I literally finished some of the changes 10 minutes ago, so there is a reasonable chance that there might have to be a v1.3 or v1.2b, or whatever I end up calling it.  There wasn't a whole lot of testing feedback, so I did what I could.  That said, I will be testing it myself on the flight home tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes Smile

Edit: derp... fixed the link
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 31 Dec 2016 - 23:57

The update has been submitted to RHDN.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 7:13

Ok, everybody, the release is live! I literally finished some of the changes 10 minutes ago, so there is a reasonable chance that there might have to be a v1.3 or v1.2b, or whatever I end up calling it. There wasn't a whole lot of testing feedback, so I did what I could. That said, I will be testing it myself on the flight home tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes Smile.
The update has been submitted to RHDN.
Good job for you to time it exactly to the 10th anniversary.

Hopefully this will ease some frustration for all those who disliked the original.

Also, correct choice to also upload to RHDN, although the site is diabolical, the majority of the players are there.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 7:15

When I submitted, it was the second-oldest aLttP hack on the entire site (the oldest is the Day/Night cycle patch which is included in this game). Now, it's the newest Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 13:22

qwertymodo wrote:When I submitted, it was the second-oldest aLttP hack on the entire site (the oldest is the Day/Night cycle patch which is included in this game). Now, it's the newest Smile
Yes, great.
It already was accepted to the database:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

I hope you will also submit a so called news article for this, as it pops up on the front page of RHDN, since the update can easily be overlooked and this game was one of the most known and played hacks.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 13:47

Yep, news article is currently waiting in the queue for approval. The update was approved very quickly, but I guess they all went to bed by the time I got around to the news article Razz
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 14:26

My congratulations on your release Smile
I've read the readme and it still says 1.10 in the first line, also the credits are those from 1.1 (you should add your name at least there). Also, are the ingame ending credits also changed?

Furthermore, you should mention the 1.2 changes also in the submission text, but that's too late now. It's only sophisticated to search for the improvements in the readme.

This all is small though, great release in any case Very Happy
Happy New year!
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 14:41

Yep, news article is currently waiting in the queue for approval. The update was approved very quickly, but I guess they all went to bed by the time I got around to the news article Razz
Great. If I would be doing this, they would definitely refuse it altogether.

I've read the readme and it still says 1.10
I also read it, but it said 1.2 at the beginning. Then regular text as in 1.1 and then lower are the 1.2 changes.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 15:24

The updated readme was uploaded at the same time as the patch and it's definitely up there, not sure what you're seeing, Conn: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/197readme.txt
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 16:44

Well, so much for a bug-free release... the Armos Knight nerf was supposed to apply to parts 0-2, I only applied it to 0-1, so they were full strength in Nayru's Bay. It's fixed now, update is in the RHDN queue, or you can grab it here: http://dl.qwertymodo.com/lozpw120.7z
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 17:25

If I do end up releasing another minor update, one thing I'll probably consider is removing some of the boss respawn flags. Not all of them, but for one, the Lanmolas in Din's Catacombs is just cheap, especially with the Wallmasters.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLD19191 Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 18:12

Hello I noticed something bizarre and that is anormal .... it looked like a tile or a layer appeared in this zone there and is this normal ? https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/19/59/46/90/legend10.png

KevinLD19191
Newcomer

Since : 2016-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 20:00

Not normal. Nuts :/
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zanak Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 23:21

Just found this, congrats you guys made number 1 Smile.
Zanak
Zanak
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Since : 2016-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 2 Jan 2017 - 1:17

Another tweak for the next update, make King Helmasaur vulnerable to damage class 1 (normal sword hits, low damage, but at least do something so you aren't required to spin attack or hit with the hammer).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next