Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Page 3 Empty Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

Patch (v3, 29th July 18, delayed playback fixed, sd2snes version added):
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/btbm_msu1_patch.zip

PCMs (v3, btbm_msu1-1.pcm fixed):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1axXYAqcdM5FXVK8RBNeyuKmtXes1SqxV/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by kurrono on Sun 29 Apr 2018 - 0:38; edited 3 times in total
kurrono
kurrono

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs :: Comments

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 12:34 by kurrono

No no my favorite toad is the leader too bad he got kidnapped with tjat chinese girl heheh.. light gree. Toad in battle toads arcade he is green blue

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 12:54 by Wesker

Here's a video playing a clean v2 hack version without any cheats applied (you can see I have just one life and the lives counter decreases when I die). And playing as Pimple so you see it doesn't make difference either with playing either as Pimple or Rash. The problem sadly is still there.

https://mega.nz/#!ehgigagB!VmcFjrd8lZrr2P7JJJ5_GYCT3jIa44z0dVahdNFlayA

Conn wrote:You could attach a bsnes savestate from snake pit, where it happens in your sd2snes.
I'll try to trace then if there is anything different executed. Chance is little but your only hope.

Here you have.

https://mega.nz/#!q14wAS6C!UqVwuB03wUVmpDT86RzD95jX5G42sPO3B8IjxBWVgt8

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 12:58 by kurrono

Maybe a brightness problem Wesker disable that.. here check this...

NOTE: There are known problems with games that use DMA to set the brightness register. Notably Star Fox and some MSU1 video players. You should disable it if you intend to play those.

Maybe that is the problem with Dma .disable the brightness thing

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 13:05 by Wesker

kurrono wrote:No no my favorite toad is the leader too bad he got kidnapped with tjat chinese girl heheh.. light gree. Toad in battle toads arcade he is green blue

You mean Zitz. Yeah, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs is the only game in the series where you can't play as him as he got captured. You can play him in the original Battletoads, the exclusive Game Boy game titled "Battletoads" (he's actually the only toad playable there), Battletoads Double Dragon and Battletoads Arcade.

With the new Battletoads game they are developing for Xbox One and Windows they intend to add three simultaneous players like in Battletoads Arcade so presumably no toad will be captured there either. The "capture gimmick" that happens in the original Battletoads, the exclusive Game Boy game titled "Battletoads" and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs was just a bad plot excuse to justify why you can't have all the toads playing at the same time due to the 2P limitation of the home consoles of then and 1P limitation of the Game Boy, even though they didn't bother with that detail in Battletoads Double Dragon where you have all the characters available but can play with only two of them at the same time (except if you use that certain hack for the NES version).

kurrono wrote:Maybe a brightness problem Wesker disable that.. here check this...

NOTE: There are known problems with games that use DMA to set the brightness register. Notably Star Fox and some MSU1 video players. You should disable it if you intend to play those.

Maybe that is the problem with Dma .disable the brightness thing

Ok, I will try and report what happens. It would be weird because the clean ROM without MSU-1 hack applied doesn't suffer this issue on the SD2SNES, but maybe it makes sense.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 13:17 by Conn

Unfortunately I can't load your savestate, guess you have another bsnes version than I use.

I use this
http://www.emucr.com/2018/01/bsnes-plus-git-20180117.html
but could be another issue.
Is there any cheat or anything I can access this level quickly?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 14:28 by Conn

Ok, I played it there myself. What a f* hard game. Unbelieveable you managed it without cheats.

I did not find anything through tracing though. I nevertheless put a btbm_msu1_sd2snes.ips in the folder (download v3 from first post). It will NOT play the pause theme 0b (track -11) when pausing, but on the plus side it won't also crash anymore.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 14:56 by Colines

Conn wrote:Unfortunately I can't load your savestate, guess you have another bsnes version than I use.

I use this
http://www.emucr.com/2018/01/bsnes-plus-git-20180117.html

For what is worth, Revenant released not long ago a full new version:
https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plus/releases

The only reason for using EmuCR builds was because Revenant haven't released any official build with the new improvements added (like no more outdated manifests required for loading MSU-1 games)

I believe that recommending the official release will make things less confusing now Very Happy

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 15:08 by kurrono

I was player when i was akid..now my memory is in the gutter to play good hahah

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 15:25 by kurrono

Conn i can keep my old msu1 with the pause code ..cause mine dont freeze plus i like the theme..

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 16:01 by Wesker

Conn wrote:Ok, I played it there myself. What a f* hard game. Unbelieveable you managed it without cheats.

I did not find anything through tracing though. I nevertheless put a btbm_msu1_sd2snes.ips in the folder (download v3 from first post). It will NOT play the pause theme 0b (track -11) when pausing, but on the plus side it won't also crash anymore.

Sorry not being able to provide you an useful savestate for you and having to suffer all the way up to the Snake Pit. I supposed you took some crashes on the Turbo Tunnel. The Battletoads titles are definitely not for everyone, that's one of the reasons why some of us love these games as much (others are, of course, their awesome designs and musics).

So I reached the Snake Pit with v3 and......

https://mega.nz/#!jpwAiYrC!bgSXgFL4HexibzTR2Z32vY1geBAJNl6ze9zadfcq5KE

... finally got solved! Thank you!

So yeah, I guess we'll never know what was exactly causing the trouble with the pause function in the Snake Pit levels (the rest of the levels were actually fine). And it's a shame to lose the pause music but hey, at least the game is perfectly playable now for anyone who could have this problem too.

Actually this v3 hack as another benefit, and it's the fact that you can pause the game and the regular music level still keeps playing (similar to what Battletoads Double Dragon actually does). This makes for a good sound test-like way of listening to these MSU-1 versions of the tracks which are truly excellent.

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 16:20 by kurrono

So the pause was the problem..i knew it i. Some..way but.. i didnt want yo get assembly boss get mad ..so hehe i k3pt my mouth shush heheheh Smile

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 17:35 by Conn

Sure it was the pause code when the game crash when you press pause - that's called causalitiy Very Happy

It was the least wanted solution though, but I can't get it fixed otherwise.

Kurrono doesn't have it, but Wesker has it, which is strange enough anyways. Maybe it also has something to do with firmware 1.8 update.
MegaManX suddenly also bugs:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1438-mega-man-x
(but I don't understand that message correctly (first: tried other firmwares, same thing... then: it only happens with this game playing in sd2snes rev H). Confusing... what does he mean? Rev H + only or also older firmwares?).
Ah well. Maybe somebody should point Ikari to it, could be the new SFX chip update.

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 17:49 by kurrono

Ppl stop co.plaining here ..u gotta go .if is a sdsnes problem go to ikari heheh..itndoesnt have to eo with the Msu Guys here....go to ikari..eo he ca. Release.a.fix for sd2snes heheh Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 17:53 by Conn

I have a suspicion... wesker, could you apply attached test.ips and use a savestate of Level 4 to see if it still breaks with this code when pressing pause in sd2snes? (No need to make a complete playthrough again, it's just a test if this is the reason for your break).
Attachments
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Page 3 Attachment
sd2snesTest.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 23:24 by Wesker

Sorry, I just tested it and unfortunately pause/unpause still freezes the game with black screen on the Snake Pit level. Damn untraceable problem. But oh well, thanks for still trying.

If it's really a firmware problem then I can try going back to an old firmware and see if the problem still happens. But I will probably try that tomorrow, I'm fed up of toads for today.

Would also be good to know if there's anyone else here with SD2SNES experimenting this issue or not.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 30 Jul 2018 - 5:15 by Conn

Too bad, it was worth a shot. Much thanks for testing in any case.
Ah well, I can only cure the symptoms, like I did with that extra patch. If you really want to rape your freetime and sd2snes you can experimenting, like installing an older firmware, try with that or something.

bsnes is, like higan very close to real hardware emulation, it's very unlikely that a game works on bsnes but not on RH. But we need more info; e.g., it's not crashing on K's sd2snes but on yours. That's either voodoo or a strange setup pn your side.
Anyways, I think Ikari is in the end the only person able to help here.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 2:58 by speedy

hey guys!
is that working for anyone using the newest revision of the fx pak pro? .. my sound sounds terribly broken using the pcms posted in the topic

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 5:54 by Conn

There are two patches in the zip file, one of them is for sd2snes... did you use that? If yes, you may want to address to Ikari, since we ensured this patch to work with sd2snes

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 11:44 by speedy

Conn wrote:There are two patches in the zip file, one of them is for sd2snes... did you use that? If yes, you may want to address to Ikari, since we ensured this patch to work with sd2snes
yes, i did using flips.exe .. and this version i just created is worse, because it only displays a black screen.
might i be using the wrong rom? (Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (USA).sfc)
what would be the correct crc?

i contacted krikkz already he seams to be busy though.. because i actually have lots of problems with msu-1 games .. and i am not sure if it is the msu1-files or rhe fxpak pro

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 12:35 by Relikk

Krikzz should only be contacted for hardware faults where the SD2SNES/FXPak is concerned, as he manufactures it, but it's ikari_01's design and programming. So any firmware issues should be directed at him.

You need to elaborate more on what exactly the problem is with the music. A more detailed description or a recording/capture would help. And if you can, test the PCM files in foobar2000 with qwertymodo's PCM plugin to see if they sound the same as what you're hearing in-game. It could be just that the PCM files are not that good to begin with.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 14:07 by speedy

will try to get some more infos ..
but would you be able to provide me following infos so i can proceed?
- how do i contact ikari_01?
- what is the CRC of the rom file, that goes with the patch and pcms on the first/top post here?
TIA

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 14:12 by Relikk

Usually, as a rule here, most hacks are done using clean, headerless dumps. So anything from the No-Intro set is used as a base 99% of the time. The CRC-32 for this would be 617AC925.

You can contact ikari on Discord, in the Classic Gaming server. There is an FXPAK channel there where he hangs out. There's also Twitter.

https://twitter.com/orzvektor

It's worth bearing in mind that there also could be issues with the newest revision of the FXPak due to ikari needing to source new hardware, and he needed to port the firmware to the new hardware. There are still some issues that need to be ironed out.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 14:29 by speedy

yup, i agree with all what you say!
thanks! i will come back and report Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 25 Apr 2023 - 8:47 by speedy

Hi i am back!
I am having issues with SNES MSU-1 Games Audio. Anyone else?
One example is Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, where the sound is all garbled.

I did try a bit around with different setups. i used:

1 FXPak Pro (latest revision, ordered it in december 2022 at krikkz.com), running Firmware v1.11.0
   2 different PAL Super Nes
   3 different video cables: multiout-composite, multiout-rgb and multiout/rad2x
   3 tvs (LG Oled C1, hdmi / Sony Bravia Lcd, hdmi, rgb and composite, sony crt rgb and composite)
   3 different sd-cards: 1gb, 64gb and 128gb
   2 msu enhanced games
   -- Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (CRC 617ac925), patched and extended (Zeldix as source)
   -- Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (USA) (MSU1) [Hack by Conn & Kurrono v3].zip

Another game haveing issues is Top Gear (the intro sequence)

from the discussion i had on github with SD2SNES guys, it seams to be the PCM files. can anyone confirm?

importing the PCM in Audicity plays fine.

and here is how it sounds on my setups:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/25831136/227468916-5bbea036-ccb5-41b0-b2c9-80c606505b27.mp4

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 25 Apr 2023 - 10:45 by speedy

ok, quick update

audacity plays the pcm file flawlessly
i normalized the PCM to -18 as by the readme suggested:
audacity still plays it flawlessly
the sound on the fxpak pro is mich better! but still has issues (see linked clip: crackling sound - i hope you can hear the white noise)
i normalized the PCM to -21 -> still good but "-18" is better

so i tried the normalized file again with 2 snes, 3 different cables connecting straight to the tv, straight to the amplifier and a breakout cable to the amplifier (so lots of re-plugging) --> the results sty the same with the white noise.

and i found another game that has sound issues: star fox

so, since the -18 normalization plays OK in audacity but not on the fxpak pro, i cannot figure out if the PCM are broken or the fxpak pro does not play the files properly.

what is your opinion?

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next