Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping?

Go down

Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping? Empty Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping?

Post by edale Sun 13 Dec 2020 - 14:46

So I stumbled across a post mentioning how kurrono's Dracula X PCM pack had some issues and needed a PCM artist to go over it and fix it up. So I went through and fixed up what needed it as best as I could.

But that got me thinking, I know I've seen several PCM sets that weren't looped, or weren't seamlessly looped, and I'm more than capable of fixing them!

I'm not going to go out of my way to find PCM sets that need fixing though, I can only fix the sets that are pointed out to me.

So if you find a released PCM set that needs to be properly looped, or in some other way needs fixing, just post it here, and I'll fix it up as best as I can. Please include a description of what's wrong with the set so I know what to fix.

edale

Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping? Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping? Empty Re: Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping?

Post by Conn Sun 13 Dec 2020 - 15:15

As far I was told Kurrono never looped any of his sets, so you are up to quite burden yourself Wink
Conn
Conn

Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping? Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping? Empty Re: Completed PCM packs needing fixing/looping?

Post by edale Sun 13 Dec 2020 - 17:20

Conn wrote:As far I was told Kurrono never looped any of his sets, so you are up to quite burden yourself Wink
Gimme some links to his sets then, I have no clue what he worked on. Probably better to lead with the games where he did the only PCM set.

Honestly, just looping the tracks is easy. Take out having to source music, playtest, build loop tables, normalize tracks, and all that other stuff and I can probably hammer out 5-6 PCM sets a day without rushing things. I did the Dracula X set in 8 hours, and 6 of those were spent asleep, lol.

As long as the looping table is already done (or a trackmap with which tracks loop listed), and I can find it, then I can leave the non-looping tracks completely alone; which cuts down on the number of tracks I have to even touch.

That said, if someone has a set that has problems like excessive intros ruining immersion (there was one track in the original FFVI set, from before I started work on that project, that had an intro so long the actual song didn't start until you were right before the area's boss, and it wasn't a short area, lol), I can also fix those.

Honestly, just not having to source the music alone makes things massively easier on my end. Like with the Star Ocean MSU, I'd LOVE to make a set for that, especially something orchestral, but I can't find remasters for almost all of the music from it...

It's getting to the point where it's getting harder to find games worth MSU modding that haven't already been done (as evidence by the fact that almost all MSU development seems to be focused on gameboy games recently, and I never really got into the gameboy {I had a Turbo Express, which was massively superior}, bar a few notable exceptions, such as pokemon); so I figure I'll try and do some work on improving what we already have (in a ways that just so happens to remove 90% of the workload of PCM set creation, lol).

Oh, as an aside, I did something:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/issues/702
Hopefully one of the coders at Audacity will take the 2 minutes it would take to code this in, and make all our lives a tiny bit easier. I imagine a few others chiming in that they'd also like this would help the odds of it happening.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 5:36

Honestly, just not having to source the music alone makes things massively easier on my end. Like with the Star Ocean MSU, I'd LOVE to make a set for that, especially something orchestral, but I can't find remasters for almost all of the music from it...
Star Ocean was never a very famous game to the majority so you will not find many remasters. However, Red's set is orchestral as far as I know, so is the R remake for switch... is there anything wrong with those sets?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 11:13

Conn wrote:Star Ocean was never a very famous game to the majority so you will not find many remasters. However, Red's set is orchestral as far as I know, so is the R remake for switch... is there anything wrong with those sets?
Actually didn't know the PSP remake used an orchestral soundtrack, lol. Assuming Red converted the CD OST (I checked, they released one), and not music ripped directly from the PSP port (PSP doesn't exactly use the best sound encoding) that should be good.

Though for an oddity, despite the PS4 'R' remake preorder coming with a "mini soundtrack" in mp3 form... I can't actually find a copy of it's soundtrack anywhere to see how the music in it sounded, lol.

And yea, I know Star Ocean 1 never became super popular, but I figured it would have gotten a lot more attention after the success of Star Ocean 2, which did get pretty big IIRC.

But on another topic... My offer still stands, just point me to some PCM sets that need fixing.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 11:44

We were lucky finding the first departure r set here:
http://switch.joshw.info/s/
It's even already looped.

I think other users have to point you to unlooped sets, I hardly play any games (only code them). Some already have been fixed or people prefer alternative sets and didn't complain yet.
In any case much thanks for your offer and I hope other people that experienced problems with some sets chime in Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 12:24

Conn wrote:We were lucky finding the first departure r set here:
http://switch.joshw.info/s/
It's even already looped.

I think other users have to point you to unlooped sets, I hardly play any games (only code them). Some already have been fixed or people prefer alternative sets and didn't complain yet.
In any case much thanks for your offer and I hope other people that experienced problems with some sets chime in Wink
AH, native format console audio. I've used that for one or two of my sets (though I think I got those off zophar.net and/or emuparadise, and had to convert them to WAV before converting to PCM).

CD release really is the prefered format to use though,if available; as no console I'm aware of uses lossless audio encoding natively.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 14:00

Yes, it is an uncovered treasure:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2106-console-bgm-rips

Most formats are already looped so even not advanced music artists can easily create pcm sets. Most helpful it was for qwerty's LA DX where he uses the switch music Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 14 Dec 2020 - 17:46

Conn wrote:Yes, it is an uncovered treasure:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2106-console-bgm-rips

Most formats are already looped so even not advanced music artists can easily create pcm sets. Most helpful it was for qwerty's LA DX where he uses the switch music Wink
Trick is some of those native formats support multiple loops in the same file, which I imagine could complicate things for trying to auto loop things.

Really complex songs, such as Dancing Mad from FFVI, will still need manual work done both on the audio and in the coding.

edale

Back to top Go down