Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Empty The Legend of Zelda

--- PATCH ---

Patch v6 for Legend of Zelda "Project-Nested" created ROM (by Conn)*:
---- Updated: August 29, 2021 (fix for pnn 1.4.1) ----
Code:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/nloz_msu1.zip

Mirror: https://mega.nz/file/NKcT1aRR#_Fe5r8QUDifKysDV2fKnnksBVci_GBsE-kXLN1CEVgM

-- ADDITIONAL REQUIRED DOWNLOADS ---

Project Nested NES*:
Code:
https://github.com/Myself086/Project-Nested/releases
*: patch is only compatible with pnn 1.4.1 or later!

--- SOUND PACKS ---

Assorted Arranged "30th Anniversary, The Second Narrator, etc" (by PepilloPeV) v3:
---- Updated July 31, 2021 (re-balanced audio levels) ----
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ptVfaujGhIsRim7PGxX9kXGfNe6eI9iP/view?usp=sharing

Legend of Zelda Orchestra Set by JUD6MENT:
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/wyRhnQhR#I0n_uYlrgUDqrGNAeiwHm5jmkAh5blb7rf6qs51cdo0
YouTube Preview

--- NOTES ---
Known bugs:
- when dying in the select screen the spc is played with msu (not possible to fix somehow) but it sounds ok/even good

Cheats:
7e066C-01 is the cheat for invincible.
7e0659-02 is for silver arrows
7e0657:03 is the magic sword.
7e0671:FF full triforce
With these codes, you should not have much trouble to get to Ganon. If you need more items, check this out:
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:RAM_map
Interesting is the item part, starting from $0657. The SNES cheats are the same, just put a $7e before, like 7e0657:03 magic sword.

Last edited by Conn on Wed 22 Dec 2021 - 16:28; edited 20 times in total
Conn
Conn

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Legend of Zelda :: Comments

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 9:02 by pev

@D2DEZEL To my understanding, Conn coded his patch in such a way that this should cover all (or most) versions of the NES ROM. Unless, I misunderstood Conn's explanation or something changed since this v5 change. Best wait for Conn to answer regarding what ROM revisions to use.

I personally, used the Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes ROM with CRC of D7AE93DF. The converted Project-Nested ROM should have a CRC of 9F91E51F. This is what mine was when I applied Conn's MSU-1 patch to the converted SNES ROM. The finished SNES ROM should have a CRC of 25CC61A6. This is what I have that works.

UPDATE: Video is updated too. Yes, I die spectacularly. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 9:15 by Retroplay

CRC info is hit and miss on NES roms because of the iNES header.
The nes rom may have the correct prg/chr data but if header is different, crc wont match.

@D2DEZEL
As I wrote elsewhere, make sure iNES header is correct before patching.
It should look like this at offset 0
Code:
4E 45 53 1A 08 00 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
and file size should be 131088
if size is 131072, it has no header and needs to be added first.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 9:45 by pev

Retroplay wrote:CRC info is hit and miss on NES roms because of the iNES header.
The nes rom may have the correct prg/chr data but if header is different, crc wont match.
I did not have to do this since the ROM in my possession already contained the correct header you mentioned. Still, this is good to know. I passed this information to Conn. Thanks RetroPlay for the information.

Back to top Go down

D2DEZEL

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 10:35 by D2DEZEL

pepillopev wrote:@D2DEZEL To my understanding, Conn coded his patch in such a way that this should cover all (or most) versions of the NES ROM. Unless, I misunderstood Conn's explanation or something changed since this v5 change. Best wait for Conn to answer regarding what ROM revisions to use.

I personally, used the Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes ROM with CRC of D7AE93DF. The converted Project-Nested ROM should have a CRC of 9F91E51F. This is what mine was when I applied Conn's MSU-1 patch to the converted SNES ROM. The finished SNES ROM should have a CRC of 25CC61A6. This is what I have that works.

UPDATE: Video is updated too. Yes, I die spectacularly. Very Happy

yes i also used the correct rom
i named it zelda1
and i do the same as in the readme

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Zelda110

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Zelda210

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 10:44 by Retroplay

Just to be clear, above header is mapper 1 for Zelda.
Of course, that wont work if added to a game that use a different mapper or different chr/prg sizes.
I recommend bookmarking this site, just in case.
http://nes.dnsabr.com/

@D2DEZEL
You might want to try a newer Snes9x version, or even better, use BSNES.
https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/releases

Back to top Go down

D2DEZEL

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 11:00 by D2DEZEL

Retroplay wrote:Just to be clear, above header is mapper 1 for Zelda.
Of course, that wont work if added to a game that use a different mapper or different chr/prg sizes.
I recommend bookmarking this site, just in case.
http://nes.dnsabr.com/

@D2DEZEL
You might want to try a newer Snes9x version, or even better, use BSNES.
https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/releases

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Zelda310

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 11:22 by pev

@D2DEZEL Just to be clear. I started everything from scratch. I used no old game saves, old save states, or loaded no SRM file in Project_Nested. I started completely from the beginning as it was my first time patching the game. I have no issues with sd2snes or snes9x (version mentioned in previous posts). the bsnes i am using see below (works fine) including the version you currently have.

--- bsnes debugger i use works fine ---
The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Image_21

--- bsnes v115 works fine ---
The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 Image_22

Again, I just followed Conn's instructions as listed but no SRM was loaded. All done as if it was my first time.

Last edited by pepillopev on Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 11:48; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 11:40 by Conn

The failure you get cf/0000 means you didn't apply the MSU patch d2dezel. Please follow exact the instructions given in the readme.

Back to top Go down

D2DEZEL

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 11:54 by D2DEZEL

Thanks to Retroplay, I don't understand all the roms that I have run in v4 but not in v5

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 13:08 by Conn

As said, at cf/0000 is the error message for msu code missing so you didn't apply the nloz-msu1.ips on the converted rom.

I ported it to revA and described in the patch file how to get this (Pev will update with v5b soon supporting Rev A). No idea with iNES.

Gleeok will crash in D4 as soon you slaught off a head (reported to myself086).

Back to top Go down

D2DEZEL

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 13:58 by D2DEZEL

Conn wrote:As said, at cf/0000 is the error message for msu code missing so you didn't apply the nloz-msu1.ips on the converted rom.

I ported it to revA and described in the patch file how to get this (Pev will update with v5b soon supporting Rev A). No idea with iNES.

Gleeok will crash in D4 as soon you slaught off a head (reported to myself086).

yes now it's good, but the patch only works with a single rom (Legend of Zelda, The (U) [Nintendo][1987][PRG0][!]) more with all as in V4

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 14:00 by pev

@ToAll v1.5B is live. It just adds support for the Rev A ROM.

ROM CRCs required for these patches to work...
Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes -> ROM has to be ...
CRC: D7AE93DF

Legend of Zelda, The (USA) (Rev A).nes -> ROM has to be...
CRC: 02BB0C56

Last edited by pepillopev on Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 14:49; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 14:02 by pev

D2DEZEL wrote:yes now it's good, but the patch only works with a single rom (Legend of Zelda, The (U) [Nintendo][1987][PRG0][!]) more with all as in V4
It is up to Conn what ROM revisions he wants to support. So far, only two variations at the moment. See post above, the CRCs must match for it to work on Project-Nested profiles.

@Retroplay Conn is not going by the iNES header. He just obtained the ROM with the specific CRCs. So, it is up to you guys to find the ROM with the correct CRC. We cannot provide them publicly here.

Back to top Go down

Retroplay

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 14:58 by Retroplay

Luckily crc is not important in this case, unless it's a bps patch of course.

But as stated earlier, there's a lot of NES roms floating out in the wild with malformed iNES headers, so solely relying on crc is not recommended.

Anyway, I patched v5b to Rev 1 rom and all seems to be working well.
Thanks to all involved Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 15:05 by pev

Retroplay wrote:Luckily crc is not important in this case, unless it's a bps patch of course.

But as stated earlier, there's a lot of NES roms floating out in the wild with malformed iNES headers, so solely relying on crc is not recommended.

Anyway, I patched v5b to Rev 1 rom and all seems to be working well.
Thanks to all involved Smile
In the case for Conn, iNES headers have no play here. The CRCs do matter as a full "sanity" check. If the correct iNES header is present in the downloaded ROM, then the CRC will match with what Conn used as a base. I would have preferred Conn to use BPS to avoid this patching mess for this reason.

Yes, there are a lot of ROMs floating around but only the one's used by Conn will match the required CRC for proper Project-Nested and MSU-1 patching. If iNES is already good, the required CRCs will be valid.

Adding iNES header to the mix just adds to the confusion. So, I respectfully disagree here. Conn chose his target base ROMs. It does not matter what iNES has or not. It falls on the CRC to be valid before the patching process begins. If you feel like discussing this in private, I'm for it. I love good debates. So, I end my part here.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 1 Aug 2021 - 15:29 by Conn

Somebody one day has to clear me up what iNES exactly is. I get header and emulator results.
Anyways. The Gameprofile where the NES injection code inside cannot be made strict to a specific CRC or whatever unless myself086 codes it. And he's busy with big fixing and that stuff, that he happily leaves it to us to simply check by crc whether we patch a correct ROM.

I cannot make the MSU patch bps either since this checks the produced SNES ROM for CRC correct, and the produced ROM differs from pnn version and adjustments you make in the exe.
If there is an official rev b or whatever, I can also port this, but please no EU, jap or whatever... It were 2 busy weeks, no free time, so @all, please give me a break (also no pm:s please, brute Smile )

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Mon 2 Aug 2021 - 17:38 by Polargames

@Conn, The game gave me no issues at all, beside the cheat codes not working. The cheats were right, but I think its more on the retro arch api side of things. The patch that I used was the V3 patch and I did not get the rom crash screen at all.
I also would like to state that the rom worked with no issues with the given patch.

Also Conn, For I-NES the TL:DR is it was the stander format to be used in emulation for a while, but then NES 2.0 was made to fix the short comings of I-NES and that replaced I-NES. I hope this helps you out. :-)

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php?title=NES_2.0

Back to top Go down

ComboMan

Post Tue 3 Aug 2021 - 0:37 by ComboMan

So, I was interested if this was able to be compatible with hacks, either before or after conversion.  I am always trying to see if different hacks are compatible with one another, so I decided to give this a shot.  I tried a couple of them after conversion, but only got a black screen.  Then, I tried the same ones before conversion but the program didn't allow me to convert them as one of the hacked roms had a mapper 5 and another a mapper 17 (the two versions of the redux patch over on romhacking.net).  I used one more hack which I had used before a few years ago: Font Mod (+ Retranslation).  The mapper stayed at 1 and I was able to convert it along with using the MSU-1 patch and, so far so good, it worked.  Grant it, I didn't test the whole game, just a few screens.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 3 Aug 2021 - 1:20 by pev

ComboMan wrote:Grant it, I didn't test the whole game, just a few screens.
Glad to hear you sorted it out. Unfortunately, the game still crashes the moment one of Gleeok’s heads is destroyed in Dungeon-4. Conn mentioned this to me and I was able to reproduce it on sd2snes and bsnes. Conn had the crash on Snes9x. This bug has been brought up to Myself086. Best to wait for v1.4 for the moment. Thanks for you interest in this project.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 3 Aug 2021 - 14:02 by Conn

Thanks polar,

Wanted to share this:

Interesting is the item part, starting from $0657. The SNES cheats are the same, just put a $7e before, like 7e0657:03 magic sword

Back to top Go down

D2DEZEL

Post Tue 3 Aug 2021 - 17:40 by D2DEZEL

Hello i tried the famous scrolling clips to ignore dungeon order exactly like in the video and i had this crash

I'm playing with patch v5

The Legend of Zelda  - Page 2 20210810

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 3 Aug 2021 - 18:21 by pev

D2DEZEL wrote:...I'm playing with patch v5...
Yes, Conn and everyone involved is aware of crashes of v5. Best wait for v1.4 and allow Conn and Myself086 to start the troubleshooting cycle all over again. Making these posts is not going to speed up the game's stability. Please refrain from posting here until the next Project-Nested version is out. Please give Conn and Myself086 a break. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 4 Aug 2021 - 10:23 by Conn

Jupp. At the moment it's more a proof of concept. I think the msu and NES code injection work, so it's up to wait for pnn 1.4.
We all know that it arbitrarily can crash, but you still can report stable crashes, like gleeok and menu glitch after finishing a dungeon, but casual crashes do not make sense. @brutapode, who initially sent me these two bugs (gleeok and menu glitch after finishing dungeon via pm), you are also welcomed to post reproducible (stable) crashes here.

But for now I'd recommend waiting for 1.4 before making additional playtests

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Wed 11 Aug 2021 - 23:17 by Polargames

Conn wrote:Thanks polar,

Wanted to share this:

Interesting is the item part, starting from $0657. The SNES cheats are the same, just put a $7e before, like 7e0657:03 magic sword

Your very welcome Conn, I am happy to help. Very Happy

Oh cool, once the program gets updated, I will give it a try to see if it will work. I wounder if other NES games have SNES cheats like what Zelda has. :-)

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 29 Aug 2021 - 5:04 by Conn

pnn 1.4 with gleeok fixed is out, unfortunately it seems to break the msu code. I'm on it with myself086

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next