Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos!

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Empty Re: Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos!

Post by Conn Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 9:13

You see, that is all vram offset issues.
you have compressed graphics, they are decompressed and then stored into ram, from there via dma into vram.
You can add (decompressed to simplify) graphics of e.g., native Link to an unused regeion of your 4 MB rom. Then you simply need a check (like you are in dark world), and say to transfer these graphics into ram instead. That's all since the vram transfer will automatically do the rest.

Wearing a space suit is a bit more difficult I think if you want to replace single tiles. Here I'd suggest to add a complete tile set (even if some tiles won't use the suit) since the offsets are calculated correctly then. But yeah, no problem to implement such things.
Conn
Conn

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Empty Re: Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos!

Post by Founder Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 9:52

That's great! Since I'm only using one overworld, but splitted in four separate ones, is it possible to make the hero change shapes based on the area he's actually in? Here's my world map and the areas used for each world!

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Image9_zps62867304

I could probably provide you with a complete tileset of the hero for all the universe he's currently in!

Founder

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 10:18

Yes, I can do this for you in short time and little effort.

It would be great however if you can provide me with following:
- exact description what you want (which tileset in which room)
- rom with new tileset (and address of those)
- address where I can add additional code (little)
- savestates of all universes to easily test my patch
- if you have, a ram address where the room number is stored (but I can trace it myself, no prob)
...and what else is required to change tileset? Check: roomnumber, Check: moonpearl, check:...?

Send it all to my email address when you have it 8)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 16:29

So if I'm following you right, I have to tell you which appearrance he has in each of the dungeon rooms? This could take a while! I'll update my dungeons grid I did a while back (since I've made a few modifications to it) and find all the rooms and which world they are used for!

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Image2-3_zpsf395da20

I could probably make changes to the small grid PuzzleDude sent me, and add descriptions so it tells you which room is used for each world! Would that work easier for you?

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Grid8_zpsaf4daf1d

-By rom with new tileset, do you mean a new rom with another Link tileset in it or a plain gfx file that contains his graphics (similar to the file I send you so you could insert the new items gfx?)

-The address to insert the new code could be anywhere in the rom where theres freespace.

-Savestates I can provide Razz

-RAM addresses though, I'm the noobiest newbie regarding those lol

Alright I'll get working on the tilesets! This is really going to be awesome, it literally is something to change appearrances based on universes Razz

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 17:42

OVERWORLD:

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 A4rgl2y6_zpsb09c4d89

DUNGEONS:

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Grid855_zps2b9be76d

Excuse me for the rudimentary picture, I know some numbers are hard to make out, but I guess you can guess which one they are by comparing to the surrounding rooms Razz

Legend:

GREEN  = Rift and Modern world = Ancient tablets mascot (to fit with the story) = default sprite, no change Wink

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 MascotfromAST-forconn_zpscfa07300

YELLOW = Wastelands and City of The gods  = Link from Parallel Worlds!

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 LinkfromPW-forconn_zpsa457441a

BLUE   = Space Areas = If possible make it appear as the mascot until you get the moon pearl which will change him into space suit Link!

For the Space suit I'll probably end up modifying the bunny sprite to use an helmet like the one sorlokreaves created on his blog guide (instead it was for a swimming suit lol)

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Post8_my_link_helmet_zps4fb84bcb

http://lthzelda.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/lz-3-intermediate-hyrule-magic/#Question1

Of course if possible make it so that the moon pearl gives a space suit effect but is using the same movement/sprite as the bunny! since you can't really fight in space lol

grey = unused

white = chris hoolihan room, probably keep him as the mascot

Also in the rift, I'll probably change Zelda into Minish Cap Link so that he appears in the game Razz

I can of course provide you with the graphics sets of the space suit and Link from PW (but for Parallel Universes) since they will be using the same palette.

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 16 Jul 2013 - 19:57

I examined the code a bit;the overworld room value is stored to 7e/008a. This gets to 00 when entering a dungeon/cave. 7e/040a keeps the overworld value so if the overworld - cave/dungeon have the same tileset it will simplify all things. If not I will have to make 1000000000 checks where you are.
Is there a cave/dungeon with an exception, like you enter in say, wasteland and exit in space?

I think the map for OVERWORLD: in your second post is all I need. These are the values as they are stored into 7e/040a I think. Each cave/dungeon you enter from that area will not change this value so you can keep your tiles.

-By rom with new tileset, do you mean a new rom with another Link tileset in it or a plain gfx file that contains his graphics (similar to the file I send you so you could insert the new items gfx?)
I can do it myself with a bin but I'd prefer if you copy all your tilesets into a rom and send this, giving me the address (I do not like to mix up in others work so much). So just copy the yellow and blue tilesets into an unused region (maybe directly after the chest content tiles I made previously)

-The address to insert the new code could be anywhere in the rom where theres freespace.
ok Smile

-Savestates I can provide Razz
perfect, would need snes9x (*.000) maybe directly before a transition of tiles (so I need just to walk left to exit green and enter yellow area or so; also green blue, yellow-blue transition savestate is needed)

-RAM addresses though, I'm the noobiest newbie regarding those lol
I'm expert in the meanwhile and trace them myself Wink

Alright I'll get working on the tilesets! This is really going to be awesome, it literally is something to change appearrances based on universes Razz
take your time, I cannot promise when I have time to code that all, the icerod keeps me up (dungeons are making problems here) and next week I'm on vacation to brussels.

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 2:47

Alright thanks, that'll do it, I'll get everything you need eventually!

I have to admit I won't have enought time to romhacking next week either since I have funerals to attend to, but probably the week after I'll get more time to delve into more your request! So there's no rush in reality! Enjoy your vacation btw Wink

The three Links are going to have to wait!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 7:47

Coding this is pretty easy I think, paste the tiles maybe best to 1x11000 directly below the new chest content code with only little space between both tilesets

All the best for the funeral...!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 17:15

Thanks! I'll try to still have a good time even.. I'll be seeing all those peole in my family which I haven't seen in years!

I've noticed the graphics you inserted are in somewhere else in the rom, since using yy-chr I can't see them, so I'm assuming this is something you'll do with the new sprite aswell!

That's actually great since it doesn't use all my other tilesets!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 17:50

Almost can't wait to include your tilesets since this icerod thing is going pretty much on my nerves in the meanwhile :p

Actually, I just copied and pasted the hex out of your bin, uncompressed into the rom. I don't use yy-chr but snesedit and this gives me this:

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Image214

I framed the pc-address 1x10000 in red, maybe it's the wrong offset you have in yy-char, 2-bit, compressed mode or something weird on?

At least something you can look forward to at the funeral... head up Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 20:09

Alright I've inserted Link's graphics from Parallel Worlds in my hack at hex address: 11A000-120F3F

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Vvvv8_zps289dc165

Working on those savestates now Wink

I'll need to get snes9x though cause I don't have it (zsnes ftw!!)

When everything is good, I'll send them to you!

Thanks!!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 20:20

You've expanded the rom to 4 MB, I saw no point in running the compression/decompression routine :p
Yes, just copy/paste the bin into the rom, that's pretty much it ^^

The patch is simple, the routine normally loads rom data, decompresses and stores into ram from. From there it goes into vram. I skip the decompression, load the new tiles directly from the new rom space into ram and do the native game code do the rest (vram dma stuff).

When you've got a savestate, I'll give it a shot 8)

Last edited by Conn on Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 20:22; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 20:20

I've got a question about savestates though. I can provide savestates for the transition to green to blue etc... but then again I won't go from one screen to the other when changing universes. This is due to Euclid's palette patch since going from one world to another screws up palettes so I have to go from one place to the other using entrances/exits. For exemple I'm using an entrance in the rift that leads to an exit on another universe!

So you'd have to make the sprite change like once you exit those "room between worlds".

You enter from the rift (mascot Link) exit in the wastelands, you Link from PW and so on.

You enter the rift from the wastelands, you exit in space (no change before you get the moon pearl) but once you get it, you change into space suit appearance there.

So my question is, do you still need savestates that goes from green to blue etcc? to experiment the changing of sprites or I can provide you with an area that leads you to multiple other areas using the entrances/exits (portals to other worlds)?

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 20:27

Ah ok, this makes it more complicated, since I won't can just check the overworld room number... I'd need also the indoor room numbers where a transition takes place and which tileset you want in these transition caves.

Or, the easiest possibility were to leave the suit you already carry in these transition caves. Is this possible?
So when entering from yellow you''re pw link when exiting you are mascott... from the other side you're mascott in the cave while entering and when leaving you get pw link?

How many transition caves are there in total?

For the beginning it is enough to make a savestate in a transition cave between both areas, and this should be yellow/green since we do not have the blue tileset yet...
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 21:11

Actually I'll get you six savestates I just remember that from modern world >>> rift = same sprite, so no change needed

so it would be:

Savestate .000: Entrance 10/room 131 (rift) >>> Entrance 11/room 130 (wastelands) = From mascot into Link

Savestate .001: Entrance 11/room 130 (wastelands) >>> Entrance 10/room 131 (rift) = From Link into mascot

-------------------

Savestate .002: Entrance 12/room 193 (rift) >>> Entrance 13/room 194 (city of the gods) = From Mascot into Link

Savestate .003: Entrance 13/room 194 (city of the gods) >>> Entrance 12/room 193 (rift) = From Link into Mascot

------------------

Entrance 14/room 146 (rift) >>> Entrance 17/room 145 (space)  = From Mascot into Space suit (if moon pearl)

Entrance 17/room 145 (space) >>> Entrance 14/room 146 (rift)  = From Space suit (if moon pearl) into Mascot

^^looks simpler that way Razz

I'll create a savestate before entering those so six savestates in total, but for today I'll just give you the first four since the space suit isn't going to be done yet.

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 8:10

Thanks, your savestates do not work (senes9x 1.52) but no prob, I made my way through your rom from beginning and found the exits needed.

The patch actually should be very, very easy to make, need only to change one byte. To simplify the coding, I had to move the new tile set to pc 12:0000 instead 11:a000.
The new space tileset must be included to pc 12:8000 then (directly after the pw Link that ends at 12:6F40 now).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 14:30

Here we go (sent rom back to you, please take the zip from my 2nd mail, first is buggy)

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Nl00010

The spacetileset will load in its areas when you included it to
12:8000 (lorom 25:8000)
Because of the moonpearl, come back at me when the spacetileset is inserted Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 19:40

I brought my laptop with me (to my grandmother house since the funeral is only tommorow) so I had actually some time to test it out today! And besides you inserted it faster then I could ever dream of!

Here's a video! Everything works just perfect! Also it is to be noted that when I reach the space areas, the rom doesn't crash, the gfx of link simply isn't there! I still went ahead and inserted the Minish Cap Link graphics there anyway and might keep them that way for that universe or add them for another one Razz

it could be like so:

space = space link
wastelands = minish cap link
city of the gods = parallel worlds link
modern world = ancient stone tablets boy
rift = ancient stone tablets boy girl!

Anyway, awesome work!!

Last edited by SePH on Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 21:52; edited 1 time in total

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 21:44

haha* seems space link exclusively has the one ring Razz 
But you know how to give him a look now.

Is the concept ok that you are in the transition cave the protagonist from the world you enter from?

One question to finish this patch from my side; the moon-pearl issue. How do you get into the space areas when not having the moonpearl yet? From the waste lands or from the normal land (or both)?
If both, it could be complicated to code it that way that you keep the tileset you come from, but I might be able to do this by the cavenumbers.

But get your mind free for this important day tomorrow!

rift = ancient stone tablets boy
again the boy? For the sake of emancipation you should take the girl then ^^
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 21:50

Conn wrote:Is the concept ok that you are in the transition cave the protagonist from the world you enter from?
Yeah that's fine! The fact that you cahnge of Link when using the flute is a nice effect aswell!

Conn wrote:One question to finish this patch from my side; the moon-pearl issue. How do you get into the space areas when not having the moonpearl yet? From the waste lands or from the normal land (or both)?
The only way to get to the space area is by going to the rift beforehand (you're mascot link there)

Conn wrote:But get your mind free for this important day tomorrow!
Of course, but still I have to say I'm very excited about this feature Razz But yeah in an hour or two I'll go to sleep, no worries! And besides my cousin is bugging me right now to get access to the internet from my grandma's pc (and no router here Sad ), so I gotta go anyway lol

The girl from ast ? didn't thought about it! good idea!

That would trully be awesome in reality, so that every universe would have a different character to play with!

Last edited by SePH on Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 21:55; edited 1 time in total

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 22:08

yes 8) 

btw: I just came to the idea: can you mark the space area with hyrule magic or so simply to get the (edited?) bunny sprite when not having the moon pearl? It's the same in every tileset. This would save us from all problems.

And also if you include further tilesets you actually won't need my help; I'll teach you a little bit of the asm I did. It's really simple!

Check $11/a100 - you will find a table starting with A9 10 60
Each 3 bytes is one screen, and it just counts forward: so 11/a100 is screen #00, 11/a03 is screen #01,... 11/a151 screen #1b and so forth.

Now each 2nd byte in this 3 byte count (a9 XX 60) is either a 10, a 24 or 25. 10 is default ast boy, 24 is PW Link, 25 Space link.
This number directly refers to the lorom bank address.
AST boy is lorom 10/8000 (pc 08/0000)
PW Link is 24/8000 (pc 12/0000)
space Link is 25/8000 (pc 12/8000)

So the 4th tileset will be 26/8000 (pc 13/0000) and you need to simply replace the 10, 24 or 25 with 26 in the 3 byte table.
The 5th tileset  must start accordingly at 27/8000 (pc 13/8000), and the byte in the table replaced with 27 and so forth.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 23:51

Conn wrote:I was able to reduce the 3 byte read (forum explanation) to 1 byte read only. At 11/a100 you now find single

bytes, and each byte is one screen on the overworld.

So now it is:

11/a100=10; screen 01 AST mascot

11/a114=24; screen 14 PW Link

11a13d=25; screen 3d Space

Much easy actually! At 0x11A100 I found this data:

10 10 10 24 24 24 24 24
10 10 10 24 24 24 24 24
10 10 10 10 24 24 24 24
10 10 10 10 24 24 24 24
10 10 10 10 10 24 24 24
25 25 25 10 10 24 24 24
25 25 25 25 25 25 24 24
25 25 25 25 25 25 24 24

10 is default ast boy,
24 is PW Link,
25 Space link,
26 Minish Link,
27 AST girl.

Which is basically how my overworld is currently setup! This reminds me of Euclid's overworld patch actually, same principle as each byte counts for one overworld area. It will be easier to make changes by myself now if I ever reorganize my overworld!

Much thanks for this, this is truely revolutionnary!

As for the space areas, what I was thinking is that we would need to make them act as if we are in the dark world (bunny link yeah as I'm not planning on changing all the spriteset Razz). but the complicated thing is that we have to become Bunny Link ONCE we get the moon pearl, not the opposite.

Also the bunny effect (space suit) would have to vanish once you enter any dungeons from the space areas so that we are able to do puzzles. If too hard I might have to ask Euclid to help you Very Happy

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 4:40

Epic, this is simply epic!

For some reason, my hack's name (Parallel Universes) just got more sense!

We can really say we travel between universes now!

Much thanks for this, I'm not regretting you came up with that idea either as it's mostly amazing!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 6:34

This is super awesome. When you came up with the idea, I thought it to be impossible, since changing the main sprite is something easily considered undoable. But now we actually have like 4 different main sprites in the game. Very Happy
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Conker's™ Hyrulian Tail ~ Screenshots and Videos! - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 19 Jul 2013 - 6:43

Did I saw a donkey link in space? :shock: 

As for the space areas, what I was thinking is that we would need to make them act as if we are in the dark world (bunny link yeah as I'm not planning on changing all the spriteset Razz). but the complicated thing is that we have to become Bunny Link ONCE we get the moon pearl, not the opposite.
Also the bunny effect (space suit) would have to vanish once you enter any dungeons from the space areas so that we are able to do puzzles. If too hard I might have to ask Euclid to help you Very Happy
hmm... Got to think about this. A problem I see is that you cannot use your sword when being in bunny mode and the sprite tileset is quite limited.

If you go the native way I guess it's much better. With the moonpearl you're spacelink tileset and stay it in dungeons there as well. When coming from another area Link changes to the suit as he should.
When having not the moonpearl you can edit sort of ballooned Link or anything in space tileset replacing bunny link (I think bunny is only used from this tileset then. This would work out perfect as well.

So the reason you want to have it opposite way is that you don't want to edit the complete tileset... what I completely understand Wink- but you wouldn't have to edit all... just a few and then use the same tile on multiple places in the tileset. This even makes it more authentic since your movement is limited wearing a suit Wink

Edit: one idea that may solve all issues:
When having the moonpearl, take any tileset (best maybe ALTTP Link so he's also part of your game) and just change the head to wear the space helmet. No need to edit all body tiles since you also need to distinguish the mail anyway.
When having not the moon pearl you can make a "red ballooned head" instead bunny or something to imply that he holds breath ^^.
This way no further coding is needed and you only need to exchange a few tiles.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next