The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy

Post by IntimFuchtler on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 17:56

nope you don't, all things are possible without taking damage, I did it all myself.
You mean that room with the two eye lasers and the pegswitch?
You have to be very fast. If you wait and the eye laser is still shooting, you have to move away so that it stops shooting. Its first shot has a little delay which gives you the time you need to progress to the next safe spot
IntimFuchtler

Since : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetjohnnycage on Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 17:57

IntimFuchtler wrote:nope you don't, all things are possible without taking damage, I did it all myself.
You mean that room with the two eye lasers and the pegswitch?
You have to be very fast. If you wait and the eye laser is still shooting, you have to move away so that it stops shooting. Its first shot has a little delay which gives you the time you need to progress to the next safe spot

Ahhhhh ok. I didn't know the delay was that significant. All good then Smile

sweetjohnnycage

Since : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by XaserLE on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 5:37

I want to come back to this pipeline problem. This is one of the strangest things i have ever seen in the alttp code.

Have someone ever mentioned, that for one pipe you only need one pipe-sprite?

Look at this:

This is room 135. The UpPipe at the upper right is enough to make this one pipe work if Link is entering the room from the right. You can start at the right, going through the pipe and then entering the pipe from the left and going through it to the right side again, despite there is no DownPipe-Sprite at the left side. The reason is that the game seems to only load the pipe-sprite that is next to Link when entering a room and then, when moving through the pipe, the sprite will be moved with Link. This is done by routine $1E/FF34. The values are at $7E0D00. MathOnNapkins docs make clear what this is:

$0D00[0x10] -   The lower byte of a sprite's Y - coordinate.
$0D10[0x10] -   The lower byte of a sprite's X - coordinate.
$0D20[0x10] -   The high byte of a sprite's Y - coordinate.
$0D30[0x10] -   The high byte of a sprite's X - coordinate.
$0D40[0x10] -   Sprite's Y velocity.
$0D50[0x10] -   Sprite's X velocity.

You only need the second pipe-sprite on the opposite to make the player able to go through the pipe, walk out of the room and then come back to the room through the left door.
Maybe the original developers wanted to save ram, cause in room 135 above you would have 8 sprites in ram for all pipes instead of 4 when entering the room. To fix this we need to manipulate the sprite-loading routine and make all pipe-sprites load.

XaserLE

Since : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 6:30

Have someone ever mentioned, that for one pipe you only need one pipe-sprite?
Yes, however this is not the main problem.

The main bug, which I brought up after I finished this game (and that could not be solved at the time since it was too complex) was that if you go through the pipe and then fall down the pit, you will respawn at the entrance again. Now the pipe won't work, since, as you have put it, the pipe sprite traveled with the player.

So going from A to B and falling down the pit, the player will respawn at the door, and yet pipe-entrance B is now the only one "active". A will no longer work, when it should. No idea, why original authors decided so, since this is not the way it should be. The pipe sprite should not travel with the player. Both pipe-sprites should remain where they are: A should remain on A, and B on B, and they should both be always active to be able to enter them.

So basically such room design (as on the picture) is then not allowed, since you can solve this paradox-state only with a save-state and then not fall down. I hope this can be somehow fixed (to make it so, that this pipe sprite is not following you), since this is quite a big bug and will basically not allow pipes and hurting pits in one room.

If the pipe sprite would not be following you, then again 2 sprite are needed for one connecting pipe, but that is actually ok, since you need 2 regardless, because going through the door will reset the sprites.

To fix this we need to manipulate the sprite-loading routine and make all pipe-sprites load.
That would be the best option. Hopefully this can be done, since it will debug this big bug, that the original authors made. But in original Alttp a pipe and a hurting pit are not in one room, so you can never fall down and you thus never encounter this pipe-bug in the original.

PS
Of course the debug on the upper room could also be made by closing down all pits with a fence, so you can never fall down any pits after traveling through any pipe.

Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by XaserLE on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 8:04

That was what i meant, the main problem is the following sprite. I am actually working on hinder the sprite following you. Maybe i can solve it.

Edit: To jump over this routine doesn't work, Link is simply falling down. I think the sprite that moves with Link is needed to hinder him falling down. So obiously the sprite has to follow Link through the pipe.

Edit2: Just to make it more clear, i think primarily the pipe-sprite is going through the pipe and just carries Link with it.

Edit3: So the best solution would be to hook into the falling routine (when Link is falling in the pits) and reset all pipe-sprites there.

XaserLE

Since : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 10:28

Edit: To jump over this routine doesn't work, Link is simply falling down. I think the sprite that moves with Link is needed to hinder him falling down. So obiously the sprite has to follow Link through the pipe.
Yes, I remember that the entire pipe is actually a falling down property, so if you tuch it, you fall down. I guess the pipe sprite is thus necessary for carrying Link.

Edit3: So the best solution would be to hook into the falling routine (when Link is falling in the pits) and reset all pipe-sprites there.
This should work. If they indeed can be reset on Link falling.

Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova on Wed 28 Sep 2016 - 9:31

Do I understand that right? I have to cheat by disabling a drawing layer in my emulator to see where I can do something (if I don't want to randomly try things)?

Nova

Since : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by IntimFuchtler on Sat 1 Oct 2016 - 10:26

Normally no, cause I hinted everything.
But this hints aren't really that good so many people wouldn't get what to do.
Also this spike maze in Ganons Tower is ridiculous stupid, it's removed in my current version, sorry that you have to bear with it at the moment
IntimFuchtler

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova on Sat 1 Oct 2016 - 10:53

Ah, okay, thank you for your answer. Smile

Nova

Since : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero on Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 8:34

I wonder if you removed that one bug in Level 6 Skull Woods.
Because I currently cannot proceed.
I did shot in the eyes in the room to the right.
https://imgur.com/Fl6wBkZ
Thanatos-Zero

Since : 2014-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by IntimFuchtler on Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 9:00

You are on the wrong side, this is no bug.
You need to be on the other side of the wall to be able to shoot that wall decoration
IntimFuchtler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero on Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 10:46

Ehm... I already did. And now I did it again. There is no change. The wall won't go back.

Here the status. I got a key by using the Bombos and the Boomerang getting past boundaries.
https://imgur.com/ltrTxUn

Now I got it. I had to shot into the face, though that was not really clear from the beginning.
Thanatos-Zero

Since : 2014-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by IntimFuchtler on Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 15:23

Yeah, not everyone will notice this.
In my current version this is more obvious
IntimFuchtler

Back to top Go down

Post by IntimFuchtler on Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 14:16

So, I updated the first Post with Version 1.0
I would be happy if someone could test this version and report any more bugs or things that may be too hard/unfair for the player that aren't mentioned in the readme.
If all goes well I will upload this version on Romhacking.net Smile
IntimFuchtler

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 19:59

Congrats on reaching the 1.0 status. Very few ALttP hacks make it that far. I remember checking out an earlier version of this at some point. Looked great. I put off playing it because I wanted to wait 'til it was finished. Should be fun.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum