It's going to be one awesome halloween

Go down

It's going to be one awesome halloween Empty It's going to be one awesome halloween

Post by Puzzledude Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 16:18

I've decided to use this special opportunity of hyped tension when one of the biggest Zelda3 hacks will reach its final release pretty soon. Despite some people still finding imperfections, it's definitely going to be an epic release and probably will stun the Romhacking community when gaining such a game.

So I also decided to use the same date (halloween) to release/re-release the IQ hack completely unlocked/ ie in "compliant" format. I basically changed my mind on carts, yet not completely. I still think its an "immoral" thing to do, but locking the games up doesn't help much, since then the "good people" are suffering too.

I actually had many options here: either remove zip lock only, and thus gaining an unlocked exlorom, or remove this "lock" formatting as well, bringing it to Lorom (default format). Third option was to have it locked for HM or not, but again decided for no lock.

I'm basically over this, as I will also retire after my next big and final project: Gates of Time hack (probably a two part game).
-------

1. Don't like the IQ hack? Open it up in Hyrule Magic an change it to your own desire then.

2. Do you like some custom GFX or ASM codes of the IQ hack? Extract them with zcompress/yychr and use/copy them to your Zelda3 hack freely. Use a hex editor to extract ASM.

3. Want to make an easier version/master quest or remodel of the iq hack? Sure why not. Do that freely.

4. Want to use the iq hack for learning purposes: for instance you want a similar but easier block puzzle variant in you hack using those custom blocks, like multipushable block, water blocks etc? Sure why not. Open the rom in HM and see how it is designed to learn how to hack Zelda3.

5. Want to use the iq hack as a template for your hack? Sure why not, since a lot of ASM and GFX is in there already and the rom is much more stable than original AlttP (data transfers done). Starting your hack from AlttP with HM is more risky, than if you start with the base of the IQ hack.

----------------------------------------------

With all this said the completely unlocked IQ hack (standard Lorom compatible with everything, even Hyrule Magic, zcompress and yychr in an IPS patch) will be released on Halloween aside another epic hack. Double release for the win! I'm sure the other hack will/and must take full glory, obviously, this is just a side bonus treat. Yet again, both games are finished already, but still, it's going to be epic nevertheless.

PS
Actually I will make the IQ release fully unlocked because I already have a fully functional and tested Lorom, which was a base for further formats. Locking it for HM would mean more work and more testing, which is Not my thing.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 11:45; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

It's going to be one awesome halloween Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

It's going to be one awesome halloween Empty Re: It's going to be one awesome halloween

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 17:00

Mr. Puzzledude wrote:I still think its an "immoral" thing to do, but locking the games up doesn't help much, since then the "good people" are suffering too.

I totally agree with this.

I'm very happy to see that this is finally going to be playable on my SNES Powerpak. I never did finish this hack and it was mainly because I can only stand to play games on a computer for so long, whereas I can get into a game more on a TV and play it practically all night long.

Great news. Spin
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

It's going to be one awesome halloween Empty Re: It's going to be one awesome halloween

Post by Puzzledude Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 17:37

I never did finish this hack. Great news
So it is going to be a new experience for someone afterall.

Do note that I don't have any real Snes hardware, so I don't see the difference between a flash cart, powerpack or sd2snes. I also can not test on these devices, however it should work obviously. For instance my favourite non PC SNES emulation is on PSP Snes emu, since it feels like the game has just been released for a Game-Boy-alike device. Plays good on PSP I have to say.

And also note, that the hack utilizes somewhat extreme intelectual puzzles/ideas, which I would otherwise never put into a regular Zelda game and probably all the original game creators as well, since this simply is not appealing for the general crowd.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 18:28

It should work just fine. Besides the original IQ release being incompatible the only time I have ever had a problem playing any of the available Z3 hacks or demos on my Powerpak it was the usual file size issue that plagues some of the menus (which is very easy to fix). A game like this would probably be more fun with save states, but I try not to use those. I'd rather rely on my own skills than have to "cheat".

Also, I mentioned this in the recent thread at RHDN that's used for random stuff and I know Bahamut Zero is also excited to hear this news.
Smile
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 7:09

Also, I mentioned this in the recent thread at RHDN that's used for random stuff and I know Bahamut Zero is also excited to hear this news.
I'm actually surprized any person over at RHDN is interested in this project. Nice, that you've done that, since I don't see the forum at all and don't know what is happening. I've just seen the game was removed recently. I hope I will have the ability to reupload it there, since it can be difficult to upload material when the account is in a perma stuck log-in ban.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 18:58

Well, don't worry. Smile Once this thing is ready I or someone else can submit if you like. I'd like to see more people give it another chance.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 19:14

I still think it's going to be me uploading it... again. As much as I dislike RHDN from one aspect, I actually can not get rid of it from the other aspect, as this is the biggest site regarding romhacking and thus the biggest crowd is there.

You also might not know all the deatils: version, description, header or no header, CRC, MD5, and yes, even SHA id, which is funny. No 1st person writing, etc etc. Some uploading rules there are laughable.

But of course it will first be uploaded to Zeldix, as on RHDN you also need to wait for your project to be accepted while first being in the queue.

PS
It might not be accepted at all at RHDN - up to the submission reviewers and staff. However it should now be compliant.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 20:14

PS
It might not be accepted at all at RHDN - up to the submission reviewers and staff. However it should now be compliant.

Oh I have no doubt that they will accept it. I'm sure the staff itself doesn't have anything personal against you. A user who didn't like you probably flagged it as non-compliant and upon further review they eventually came to the conclusion that it was indeed non-compliant to begin with.

I don't know if it's necessary, but if you have any specific concerns you could always pass it along to one of us and we could head over to the RHDN chat or something and ask some questions for you since you don't have access. I'm sure it wouldn't bother any of us to help you with this considering all that you've done to help nearly everyone here. It's the least we could do.
Smile
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 23 Oct 2016 - 7:49

I don't know if it's necessary, but if you have any specific concerns you could always pass it along to one of us and we could head over to the RHDN chat or something and ask some questions for you since you don't have access. I'm sure it wouldn't bother any of us to help you with this considering all that you've done to help nearly everyone here. It's the least we could do.
That's not neccessary indeed. However I would gladly send a PM to one of the mods there to ask what actually happened, but my ability to send or receive PMs on RHDN is also not working. Yet again I can assume that they reached a decision that my cutom zip anticart lock is not compliant. The second stage of the lock was Exlorom, did they find this also non compliant? Who knows, since SMW hack by Fusoya uses the same, it is even an Exhirom (totally orthodox format) and yet it is on RHDN for ages. The third instance of the lock was against loading it in Hyrule Magic.

To end the drama I removed all 3 locks and put it to "don't care" mode regarding carts and other things as well. So that means I actually don't need RHDN mod's explanation on the removal, since it is going to be reuploaed anyway, in what will hopefully be viewed as malware-free and compliant format.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 27 Oct 2016 - 14:37

Further Announcing: IQ test Remodel, a separate and easier version of the same game... coming soon after halloween (while the sceduled regular version still stands on halloween). This remodel basically changes all the radical ideas of IQ bringing its difficulty down to what will (hopefully) be acceptable for every player.

However the remodel also slightly undoes the original ideas, making it sometimes look odd. The remake is also somewhat shorter and since the puzzles are now easier (and faster) to solve, it might look even more shorter; but still - something to be much more on par with the "normal" difficulty.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down