Earthbound

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Earthbound - Page 2 Empty Re: Earthbound

Post by Conn Fri 4 May 2018 - 16:15

Anybody is welcome to do an extended version out of my patch, but I will not do it. I do not know this game at all...
Relikk and I are currently doing prince of persia. This game is a nightmare.
So this gives me the final push to retire from that all.
Conn
Conn

Earthbound - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 6 May 2018 - 7:57

https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EarthBound-heavy-duty-music-hacking-MSU1-other-stuff/page/1#post2236972

Vince posted something about an audio problem, along with a bunch of technical stuff about the problem I don't understand.

edale

Earthbound - Page 2 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 6 May 2018 - 8:56

I should have fixed this (v7):
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/eb_msu_patch.zip

(can you tell vince to re-apply the new patch? I am no member at that forum).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 6 May 2018 - 12:53

Message relayed.

In other news, a guy from that forum who's been working on a revamped OST popped into the thread to offer his work to the project. He's done 21 tracks so far, but aims to do them all from the looks of it.
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother2/EarthBound-OST-Revamped-Project/page/1

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 6 May 2018 - 16:51

Thanks for relaying!

Oh wow, it's 190 tracks... I'd suggest all of you guys (you (when released from YS), shadowone, vince, snakeshroom...,...) work on one set only and share the tracks, that's enough work alone.

That said, I leave that pcm progress to others. My patch was more or less an accident anyways (to prove myself it can be done in 30 minutes with byuu's addresses Razz ). I never played earthbound farther than the first house, so the rest is up to you guys Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 6 May 2018 - 17:59

My first playthrough of Earthbound is going to be once I'm done with the Ys stuff, and it'll be a playthrough to figure out just what still needs to be done for tracks to track down remasters for (at least for getting all the main songs and such covered for an initial PCM release).

That revamped OST project is probably going to be the work of 2-3 years to finish, so we can't count on those tracks alone.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by ZharK Tue 8 May 2018 - 16:17

Hello. I love the idea of this, and I actually had worked on some music in case a project like this would happen. If you need help with getting music for this, I'd be happy to assist.
Examples: Onett
Kraken of the Sea
Pokey's House (Unfinished)
(I probably won't be able to do anything with electric guitars though)

ZharK
Newcomer

Since : 2018-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 8 May 2018 - 16:30

ZharK wrote:Hello. I love the idea of this, and I actually had worked on some music in case a project like this would happen. If you need help with getting music for this, I'd be happy to assist.
Examples: Onett
Kraken of the Sea
Pokey's House (Unfinished)
(I probably won't be able to do anything with electric guitars though)
At the moment, ShadowOne333 and Vince94 from the starmen.net forums are working on the audio. I'll be joining them once I finish up my work on another MSU project.

https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EarthBound-heavy-duty-music-hacking-MSU1-other-stuff/page/1

That's the thread you'll want to join in on if you want to help with the audio, especially given that Vince94 doesn't even have an account on these forums.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by ZharK Tue 8 May 2018 - 16:33

Okay, got it.

ZharK
Newcomer

Since : 2018-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 18:03

Hey! I'm coming over here from the starmen.net forums. I had brought this up with ShadowOne333 and he thought it'd be a good idea if I also brought it up here.

What's the possibility for implementing fade-out functionality for MSU tracks?
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 18:18

Most games have a trigger you need to use to fade the msu volume per nmi. Would require some additional code and hooks.
I'm not sure whether I have the motivation. Need Geiger savestates and such.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 18:33

Yeah, that is true. With CCScript the command we typically use is "music_effect" followed by "(3)" to point to a fade out. Obviously this doesn't work on the MSU tracks since they're completely separate from that code.

But yeah, I understand the lack of motivation. It happens to the best of us.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 18:53

If you can provide a Geiger snes9x savestate before a fade happens, I can look for it. Basically it's a copy/paste of the algorithms I already have.
But I was never much involved in this project, I only coded it... well, because I was able to Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 20:03

Yea, Conn's technically retired, from modding, but keeps gets dragged back into coding things. In this case it was because Byuu had already done 90% of the work 8 years ago, and all that needed to be done was finding a hardmute (because byuu's didn't work; and it's since been upgraded to a track-by-track softmute).

Any work Conn does on this is basically if and when he feels like it. Once we get further with the PCM's I can look into finding someone versed in ASM coding to deal with any issues that pop up that Conn doesn't get to.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 20:30

Alrighty, no problem at all. I've got one right here, just sitting on the debug menu's sound mode. All you have to do to apply the fade out effect is press the A button.
Attachments
Earthbound - Page 2 Attachment
Geiger Savestate.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(42 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 20:31

edale wrote:Yea, Conn's technically retired, from modding, but keeps gets dragged back into coding things. In this case it was because Byuu had already done 90% of the work 8 years ago, and all that needed to be done was finding a hardmute (because byuu's didn't work; and it's since been upgraded to a track-by-track softmute).

Any work Conn does on this is basically if and when he feels like it. Once we get further with the PCM's I can look into finding someone versed in ASM coding to deal with any issues that pop up that Conn doesn't get to.

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of that.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 4:58

oki, thanks for the savestate, I think it's not much a problem to add it. I'll do this in short time.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 5:28

Here, check this:
v8:

apply on fresh rom, play to the fade screen in msu mode and see if it works. I made a relatively slow fade. If it is too slow let me know.
I couldn't test much...
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 12:30

I found some issues in my old fade code, this should work now Very Happy
v9:
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 18:16

Awesome! ShadowOne333 just gave me the CCScript translation, so I'm going to test it out now.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 21:50

Tested both the CCScript and the patch, and neither seem to fade the tracks.

I tried it out by going from the title screen to the save select screen, and I didn't hear the volume so much as budge.

Also, I've yet to see if this persists in the patch version, but in the CCS version, the game freezes up if any track beyond 191 is used, like it does with the SPC. This wasn't a problem before, so it's another thing to look into, perhaps.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 3:05

Maybe there's a miscommunication here.
You wanted me to fade with sound effect 03. This fade works (check with your sound menu).

The transition between title screen and select menu is effect 02. I didn't touch this, because you did not request it!

03: slow fade
02: fast fade

There are multiple other effects too. Accelerating music (can't be mimicked by msu), fade half (effect 09: can be mimicked), fade full again: I can't find.

So best is you write more detailled what you want Wink

Also, I've yet to see if this persists in the patch version, but in the CCS version, the game freezes up if any track beyond 191 is used, like it does with the SPC. This wasn't a problem before, so it's another thing to look into, perhaps.
That's definitely not a problem with my new code Wink how do you use tracks beyond BF? The sound menu does not support this.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 5:14

Conn wrote:how do you use tracks beyond BF? The sound menu does not support this.
I'd guess he/she's using this patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2644

To access a translated debug menu through the ATM card.

The sound options in that debug menu will let you (attempt to, because it crashes the game) play tracks that aren't there.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 18:02

Ah! Okay then. I wasn't aware of that. Alright. That's totally fair.

And I don't use that menu very often anymore. I have an npc set up in a hack I'm working on that lets me play music tracks. That's how I access tracks 192-255.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowOne333 Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 18:31

Sorry for not jumping in earlier, I've been quite busy at work.
I wasn't even aware that EarthBound handled different methods of fading.
I did know about the acceleration effect, but not about the different fades Razz
If the others could be implemented, that would be amazing.
At least the ones you mention I know are used quite often in-game (Effects 02, 03, 09, and the fade back to full).
I can't recall right now if there are others.

As for the tracks 192 and onwards, I managed to get the game to play them if I included eb-msu-192.pcm and onwards as tracks before, but they seem to be locking up the game now.
The way I test this is by entering the Debug Menu explained here:
https://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/debug1/

By entering the "SUND" option and then the "BGM", this is basically a Sound Test for the game, you can play the PCM tracks here as well.
ShadowOne333
ShadowOne333
Witch
Witch

Since : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next