Earthbound

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Earthbound - Page 3 Empty Re: Earthbound

Post by Conn Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 18:47

I can implement a quick fade 02 and the fade half 09 as well. But for fade full I'd need the command code. I couldn't find it.

As for the tracks beyond bf, the new fade code surely isn't responsible that it does not work anymore... But 191 tracks should be enough.... right?
Conn
Conn

Earthbound - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowOne333 Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 18:49

To me 191 is more than enough Razz
I'm still going through the PCM pack, I'm up to 140 tracks now and still 51 more to go, so yeah xD
More than enough haha.

Thanks for taking the time to make these little fixes, Conn Smile
ShadowOne333
ShadowOne333
Witch
Witch

Since : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 19:17

My opinion Razz
I already coded 02, 03 and 09 to fade slow/fast/half. I wait whether we find a fade full command (worst case: I need a Geiger savestate (bsnes would also work) before the fade up occurs.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 19:23

*gosh. It seems that from 07 until 0e or something all fade to half... but sometimes only left or right speaker.

I think we I definitely need a savestate, better two: one before it fades half, one before it fades full again. Best Geiger, bsnes latest version should also work.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 19:43

Okay, so I've got a Geiger ready for the effects of a partial fade, and fade to full. All you have to do is enter the house that you'll find yourself standing directly in front of to get the game to perform the partial fade, and exit it to get the fade to full effect. I also have a list that documents all sound/music effects in Earthbound. So if we need to implement more effects into the MSU code, that second debug menu will be our friend.

0 (Load effect number from argument register)
1 Play normally
2 Quick fade out
3 Fade out
4 (No effect?)
5 Increase playback speed for one second
6 (No effect?)
7 Decrease volume slightly
8 Restore original volume
9 - 14 Disable sound channel 0 - 5
15 - 20 Emphasize sound channel 0 - 5
21 Increase overall pitch
22 (No effect?)
23 Decrease volume substantially

So to specify, 7 is what Dalaam uses to achieve the effect in question

Also, I managed to fix the issue with the extra tracks causing a lock up, I'll attach the chunk of code, where I've added two lines from a previous version that aren't in v9, as that's what fixed it.

Code:
LDA_al (0x002000)
 AND_8 (0x40)
 BNE_a (loop) // (loop) Branch to loop
 LDA_al (0x002000)
 AND_8 (0x08)
 BNE_a (playspc) // Branch to playspc, error bit set?
 LDA_xl (track_table) // LDA_xl (0xEFFF00)
 STA_al (0x002007)
 LDA_8 (0xFF)
 STA_al (0x002006)
 STA_al (0x7FFFF2) // Volume flag
 LDA_8 (0x01)
 STA_al (0x7FFFF0) // Set new track introduced flag
 LDA_8 (0x00)
 STA_al (0x7FFFF3) // Erase fade flag
 PLP // Restore processor status
 PLA // Get track number from stack
 LDX_i (0x0004) //One of these lines specifically seems to make tracks 192-255 function.
 STX_a (0xB53B) //One of these lines specifically seems to make tracks 192-255 function.
 RTL
Attachments
Earthbound - Page 3 Attachment
Geiger Savestate- Dalaam.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(95 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 7 Jun 2018 - 6:10

Alright, thanks Very Happy

v10:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/eb_msu_patch.zip
!Apply on fresh rom!

implemented are:
02: fade fast
03: fade slow
07: fade low
08: fade up
if others are needed as well (23?), let me know, also if you think the fades are too slow/fast/low, the current settings are:
fast: 4 decrements per nmi
slow: 2 decrements per nmi
half: final value 40 with 3 decrements per nmi
full: final value FF with 3 increments per nmi

Also, I managed to fix the issue with the extra tracks causing a lock up, I'll attach the chunk of code, where I've added two lines from a previous version that aren't in v9, as that's what fixed it.
Ah, this was already fixed in v7, because vince reported this trouble:
You see, if you re-add these 2 lines, these sfx distortions will re-appear. That is because each track has it's own set of instruments for the SFX. If you mute it at that time I had it, the specific track's instruments aren't loaded (but obviously you can play tracks beyond 191 then). So better stick to the 191 tracks we have.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 0:01

Oh cool! Well I can confirm that both versions of v10 (patch and CCS) function as they should. I even took the liberty of creating some proof of concept footage to show it in action using my own hack that I've been working on for a bit.

Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowOne333 Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 11:14

Given how Aries mentioned that tracks 192 and onwards were no longer working due to those two lines disabling the instrument loading for certain songs working properly with SFX, I decided to give it a stab and see if with my noobish ASM knowledge I could come up with a workaround to make both things working properly.

So in the end, and with the help of PK Hack user @d-man, this is the code we ended up with (only modifies the "loop" label):

Code:

loop:
lda $002000
AND #$40
BNE loop
lda $002000
AND #$08
BNE playspc ; error bit set?
LDA $EFFF00,x
STA $002007
LDA #$ff
STA $002006
STA $7FFFF2 ; volume flag
LDA #$01
STA $7FFFF0 ; set new track introduced flag
LDA #$00
STA $7FFFF3 ; erase fade flag
PLP ;restore processor status
PLA ;get track number from stack
CMP #$00C0
BCC $06
LDX $0004
STX $B53B
RTL

From the test Aries has done so far, everything seems to work properly with those 4 lines added in near the end.
All 192-255 seem to play fine from MSU, while the 0-191 tracks load their instruments and SFX properly as well.

The CMP could be CMP #$C0, but since I am transcribing it all to CCS, CMP #$00C0 seems to do the same too.

So I think this works as perhaps a v11 patch?
I'm not sure, but let me know what do you think of the inclusion to the code, if it is coded fine (since I am making baby steps in ASM 6502 and 65816) or if it might need changes Very Happy

Thanks for all your help, Conn, even more given that you are now retired, your help is greatly appreciated!
ShadowOne333
ShadowOne333
Witch
Witch

Since : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 14:23

I corrected the code:

CMP #$00C0
-> CPX #$00C0 (track is on X, after pla you restore some other stack value)

LDX $0004
-> LDX #$0004 we need value 04 not ram address 04

This is no harm to the code, so I added the snippet and hope it works and we eventually can close the coding chapter. I give no guarantee that it works and also be aware that the wrong sfx instruments can be loaded when using tracks beyond BF and you thus experience similar sfx distortions as Vince reported.

v11:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/eb_msu_patch.zip
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 17:16

Okay, so now we seem to be having an issue where the fades don't properly work.

Quick fade either only partially fades, or doesn't at all. The slow fade is more reliable, but there are still times where it won't actually fade, but instead will just stop the song without a fade.
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 17:34

Well... the times are maybe too long. But it doesn't appear to be a major issue, right?
Fading was also only the cherry on top.

fast: 4 decrements per nmi
slow: 2 decrements per nmi
half: final value 40 with 3 decrements per nmi
full: final value FF with 3 increments per nmi
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 17:44

Not necessarily, no. So all we'd do then is bring down the appropriate value make the time shorter?
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 18:31

You can send me a savestate and I'll look what is wrong. But I have also other projects and little time.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 23:59

Gotta love the retired life, right Conn? Razz (Conn)

edale

Earthbound - Page 3 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 6:11

Don't ask Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ari3s Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 17:27

Here it is. Apologies for the delay. Effect 03 for a slow fade, Effect 02 for a quick fade.
Attachments
Earthbound - Page 3 Attachment
G(iygas)eiger.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(48 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
Ari3s
Ari3s
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 19:13

Just resolved, the fade code works fine, it's an issue with ccscript. So v11 is still the final version Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 10 Jan 2019 - 0:17

Hey Conn, so I am taking an intro to game design class in college that fills one of my required classes for general studies. In my class I need to play 3 video games and give a detailed written review on them on a game I have never played before. Since Earthbound and Final Fantasy is probably the two biggest games on the SNES I haven't played before, so I was thinking of playing through this game and making PCM files as I go to make a partial PCM set for the game. What I had in mind was making a PCM track to each song in the game that sounds like a "traditional" video game music and having the 100 or so other tracks just be the original soundtrack. This game has a freaking huge soundtrack, like ridiculously huge, but when I started listening to the OST I found that the majority of the songs are going for a very atmosphere vibe and are just kind of like gibberish strange sounds and Earthbound is pretty far from a traditional video game soundtrack. I was thinking of leaving the atmosphere based odd sounds as is and just find remasted versions of just the well polished songs in the game, like the ones you will hear in Smashbros stages because they actually sound like a video game song. So I was thinking of mainly just doing the town themes, end credits, and anything else I would find worth doing as I play.

So what I was wondering is where is this MSU-1 in development? Is track mapping with the loop table done for this game? and can I view it if so? It would be most helpful.

If someone is reading this and offended that I am calling their favorite game soundtrack full of gibberish sounds i am sorry, but for someone that has never played this game before and just listening to the soundtrack, it seems the majority is going for a particular style that just sounds like gibberish outside of it's context.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 10 Jan 2019 - 1:33

Regarding earthbound:

Here's a pm from ShadowOne33:

ShadowOne333 Fri 14 Dec 2018 - 23:02
Hi Conn!

Thanks for the message.

Indeed, we both are still worming on the PCM pack.
Though me and vince are doing separate packs.

That said, I am nearing completion of mine actually
I plan to release it alongside my New MaternalBound hack, which I scheduled for release on 2019.
Right now I have around 160+ tracks already fully done and tested, all I am missing right now are all of the Giygas related tracks, which are around 6-7 (all the tracks used in the very last portion of the game).

Once those are done, I will send you the link to them to post them here Smile

You can check all of the PCMs I've made so far in this link:
link removed, please contact shadowone if interested

I think there's also a custom build ready to fire up with all of the PCMs in that same folder.
All of those are already fully tested in-game with a proper full playthrough, I just need to make the remaining tracks I mentioned from scracth, I am workimg with one guy for those, to hopefully make them through FL Studio 20.
I am nearing completion, I do jope to get this done by January, but rest assured we are still going on full steam with it, I havent forgot Wink
I sent you the dl link of his pcm via pm, because I do not know whether ShadowOne likes to have it public.

Ari3s prepares a second set, he wrote this:
Ari3s Sat 15 Dec 2018 - 9:32
Hey Conn.

Yeah, we're still working with PCMs. Vince is still working on his project, but at the moment, I'm taking a break from my project that uses the MSU-1 due to burnout, and the current one I'm working on doesn't utilize it because I'm looking to make it possible to run on actual SNES hardware, using a special disassembly version of EB++ (our custom language for EarthBound, in case you didn't know).

I appreciate the info though, thanks for reaching out!
So for the second set we need to cross fingers that Vince is still on it.

The patch is completed (Loop table is finished). I received the table in the first page of this thread.
Regarding the mapping itself, I guess ShadowOne, Ari or Vince have done it (there is a debugger mode where you can listen to the music). I guess you need to ask them whether they can provide it, I can't find one at their forum:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EarthBound-heavy-duty-music-hacking-MSU1-other-stuff/page/1#post2236576
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Thu 10 Jan 2019 - 1:51

JUD6MENT wrote:Hey Conn, so I am taking an intro to game design class in college that fills one of my required classes for general studies. In my class I need to play 3 video games and give a detailed written review on them on a game I have never played before. Since Earthbound and Final Fantasy is probably the two biggest games on the SNES I haven't played before, so I was thinking of playing through this game and making PCM files as I go to make a partial PCM set for the game. What I had in mind was making a PCM track to each song in the game that sounds like a "traditional" video game music and having the 100 or so other tracks just be the original soundtrack. This game has a freaking huge soundtrack, like ridiculously huge, but when I started listening to the OST I found that the majority of the songs are going for a very atmosphere vibe and are just kind of like gibberish strange sounds and Earthbound is pretty far from a traditional video game soundtrack. I was thinking of leaving the atmosphere based odd sounds as is and just find remasted versions of just the well polished songs in the game, like the ones you will hear in Smashbros stages because they actually sound like a video game song. So I was thinking of mainly just doing the town themes, end credits, and anything else I would find worth doing as I play.

So what I was wondering is where is this MSU-1 in development? Is track mapping with the loop table done for this game? and can I view it if so? It would be most helpful.

If someone is reading this and offended that I am calling their favorite game soundtrack full of gibberish sounds i am sorry, but for someone that has never played this game before and just listening to the soundtrack, it seems the majority is going for a particular style that just sounds like gibberish outside of it's context.
To follow the current progress:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/EarthBound-heavy-duty-music-hacking-MSU1-other-stuff/page/1#post1715143

The most recent post (2 months ago) included a proof-of-concept vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3NGYQoF-M

That post also mentions that permission is currently being sought from various artists to allow their music to be included in the PCM pack.

I'm not sure how many of the 180ish tracks have PCM files so far (I kinda promised to help, then never actually got around to it...), but I do know locating remasters for most of the tracks has been the biggest delay.

As far as music quality... Earthbound easily has the most advanced audio engine on the SNES system. Can't comment past that because I haven't played the game either, lol.

---

If you're looking for SNES-era games to play for your class, I'd strongly suggest Terranigma. It was a JAP/EUR released game, so no NA release, but the EUR release has English, and there's already an MSU mod for it. It went under the radar for most, but it's easily a contender for one of the best RPGs on the SNES. Though it's easily playable as a standalone game, with a self-contained story, it's technically the 3rd game of the series including SoulBlazer and Illusions of Gaia.

Play-style it's very similar to Secrets of Mana or Secrets of Evermore, story-wise... It doesn't follow the formula you may be used to for games (another reason it would be great for an analytical paper).

Whereas most games follow the classic formula set forth in works like shakespeare, where you have the 5 basic stages of storytelling. Terranigma instead follows the 'Saga of the Hero' formula set forth by much older works, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, or the classic Grecian works like the Iliad & Odyssey or the Saga of Herakles.

This means the story can be split up into closer to 20 separate segments, and you see a much more fluid development of the MC and world as a whole; who despite being a silent protagonist manages to have a real and distinct personality.

Terranigma also has one of the best twists you'll come across in the 16-bit era of gameplay. I'm not going to spoil it.

One warning though, just like the works it bases it's storytelling style from, it doesn't exactly have a happy ending, it's very bittersweet at best.

Oh and enjoy the goat cannibalism scene (yes I said that right, you'll know it when you see it). Exclamation

edale

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 10 Jan 2019 - 2:02

Oh, my bad, I thought this rom hack was forgotten about because there just havent been any conversation on forum for a long time, but the fact it is being worked on a different site makes sense because Conn let me know that there is already over 150 PCM tracks made for this game and it is extremely close to finishing. This is actually really impressive, like extremely impressive to have so many tracks made for such a huge game. I will not do anything with this msu-1 hack then because it is already in very good hands. Thanks for the insight.

Also I have play Terranigma, and it is truly incredible, thanks for the suggestion.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballz Mon 14 Jan 2019 - 0:05

Since there's new life in this thread, I uh, guess I'll say this is what I've been up to the last few months:

No idea if there's an actual audience that'd be interested in this particular music pack, but hey, at least I'm having fun with it. Very Happy
Ballz
Ballz
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2017-12-02

http://ballz.rustedlogic.net/ducktales/

Back to top Go down

Post by darthvaderx Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 21:35

Hello, I love Earthbound and I really enjoyed the new atmosphere that your soundtrack gives to the game, how is progress going?

darthvaderx

Since : 2017-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballz Wed 24 Apr 2019 - 21:51

darthvaderx wrote:Hello, I love Earthbound and I really enjoyed the new atmosphere that your soundtrack gives to the game, how is progress going?

It's chugging along, but with nearly 200 tracks to go through, it's definitely taking a while. I actually just posted a more detailed update on Twitter just yesterday:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1120868702994432006

Hoping to have it finished in a few months, but please don't hold me to that deadline. Embarassed

It probably won't be the first completed MSU1 music pack for this game, however. I'm thinking the new version of MaternalBound will take that honor.
Ballz
Ballz
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2017-12-02

http://ballz.rustedlogic.net/ducktales/

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 2 Jun 2019 - 4:16

Samll announcement: Shadowone333 finally did it! Both the patch and the msu pack are done at 100%. The reason why we do not publish it yet is that Shadow wants to publish it together with Kaze Emanuar's F3 2019 (E3 for fangames/hacks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI3OUxslGuQ

So the due date for release is June 27th, stay tuned Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next