Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack Empty Re: Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack

Post by Conn Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 5:55

The problem is that there are only 3 main hackers (Pev, Kurrono and me) developing and maintaining at least 120 of the 150 games.
If you look into the endless bug reports, you understand that all these games take a lot of our freetime. If you look into the wishlist, you notice a lot of games requested.
RPG:s are unfortunately hardest in terms of bugs, since you simply cannot cheat to the place and need to make in worst case multiple playthroughs. I did Illusion of time on my self and it took me 2 weeks and 5 playtests to develop this patch.

Because something was shitting into my brain I recently msu:ed mystic quest and final fantasy 5, though darthvaderx and I had a hard time to msu ff4... so for now I wait for dvx to start playtesting my patches.

What I am trying to say... I unfortunately do not think paladin's quest will happen in near future, if ever Sad
Conn
Conn

Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack Image212

Since : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack Empty Re: Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack

Post by JUD6MENT Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 12:07

Conn wrote:

Because something was shitting into my brain I recently msu:ed mystic quest and final fantasy 5, though darthvaderx and I had a hard time to msu ff4... so for now I wait for dvx to start playtesting my patches.

What I am trying to say... I unfortunately do not think paladin's quest will happen in near future, if ever Sad  

RPGs really are the hardest. When i helped out with mario rpg, it took me 3 full playthroughs to finish and then we still had thesynergist found the most nightmare bug on his playthrough that took several attempts to fix. I tried to make Conn's side of the work as little as i possibly could and it still took a lot of time out of him because Conn had to have rewrote the code for this game at least a dozen times.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 22:08

Conn wrote:The problem is that there are only 3 main hackers (Pev, Kurrono and me) developing and maintaining at least 120 of the 150 games.
If you look into the endless bug reports, you understand that all these games take a lot of our freetime. If you look into the wishlist, you notice a lot of games requested.
RPG:s are unfortunately hardest in terms of bugs, since you simply cannot cheat to the place and need to make in worst case multiple playthroughs. I did Illusion of time on my self and it took me 2 weeks and 5 playtests to develop this patch.

Yes, I remembered the issues with Mario RPG, and based off the info I know from that I can only Imagine what the other RPG's were. Out of curiosity how hard was mystic and FF5 were to msu, and are they as long like the other RPG's?
Polargames
Polargames

Paladin's Quest (Lennus: Kodai Kikai no Kioku) PCM Pack Image112

Since : 2018-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 22:17

The coding was quite easy, 2 hours each maybe (I have practice), but the rattail will come as soon darthvaderx gets the time to play test. Then I guess I need to code another 100 exceptions where the game behaves discontinuously.

That's the vomiting part, and worst in rpg Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 3:44

Conn wrote:The coding was quite easy, 2 hours each maybe (I have practice), but the rattail will come as soon darthvaderx gets the time to play test. Then I guess I need to code another 100 exceptions where the game behaves discontinuously.

That's not bad at all for the time. But then more code on top of that I really do understand that part. I can also see that it feels like a never ending chore. Am I right in that area?

What causes issue for RPG's when a person uses cheat codes for said game. Do the cheat code over right the msu or move it into other areas. I never quite understood that when other games its 100% ok to use cheats to play test?

Last edited by Polargames on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 3:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 6:49

Of course cheats are necessary but in rpg:s you can use cheats for maybe unlimited health, which reduces the playtime. However you nevertheless need to play through a specific event. If a RPG needs 20 hours to playthrough, using cheats maybe reduces the total time to 15 hours, which still is a lot. In jump'n run you can easily use a cheat for invincibility and run through in 1 hour or something.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 7:30

Polargames wrote:
Conn wrote:The coding was quite easy, 2 hours each maybe (I have practice), but the rattail will come as soon darthvaderx gets the time to play test. Then I guess I need to code another 100 exceptions where the game behaves discontinuously.

That's not bad at all for the time. But then more code on top of that I really do understand that part. I can also see that it feels like a never ending chore. Am I right in that area?

What causes issue for RPG's when a person uses cheat codes for said game. Do the cheat code over right the msu or move it into other areas. I never quite understood that when other games its 100% ok to use cheats to play test?

Its also the never ending curse after they are done. With over a 100 games, there is bound to be a new problem found each month come up out of one of them. Its kind of like saying what is 2 more pounds but now you are doing that 100 times and there is 200 pounds to carry. Im really grateful for the weight the hackers carry and i don't blame them for not wanting more weight. Also if you got someone to commit the long playthrough hours then that is not too much an issue on the hacker, but rpg have more problems come up more frequently so the nature of them is the big burden
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 23:23

Conn wrote:Of course cheats are necessary but in rpg:s you can use cheats for maybe unlimited health, which reduces the playtime. However you nevertheless need to play through a specific event. If a RPG needs 20 hours to playthrough, using cheats maybe reduces the total time to 15 hours, which still is a lot. In jump'n run you can easily use a cheat for invincibility and run through in 1 hour or something.

Now I understand, @Conn,@Jud6ment, I thank you for your info on rpg's being msu. I not really big into rpgs, So in this area I am not to well educated on it. I feel they tend to be to long for my enjoyment.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 7:53

Have a little respect bro, the rom hackers gave a ridiculous amount of time to code games they don't play themselves for the community. If they want to be done they have that right.

However, if you desire to learn to do a MSU-1 hack here is a good starting point to learn.
https://www.zeldix.net/t1608-was-there-a-tutorial-of-how-to-hack-for-the-msu1

I tried, learned a little about coding, but never got close before giving up. But if you stick with it maybe you would get it.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 12:08

Yes, the pic is funny Smile
As it stands with pev and me retired (even if I wasn't, tales phantasia had priority). And qwerty is busy with sgb... The image will probably match reality Wink... Unless you help yourself finding another hacker or learn asm yourself
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 4 Jul 2020 - 12:40

I hope you don't mind that I found your image so funny that i changed your avatar into it Wink

Well... I looked into PQ, it's a primitive game, which makes it hard to assign track numbers. What I found on tracing:

Code:

This is only for one track valid!
$03/E573 A2 D3 88    LDX #$88D3  ; the track is a direct pointer!         
$03/E576 86 2A      STX $2A   

So to implement tracks you need to hook here:
Code:
$08/BD09 C2 20      REP #$20 
Then you need to look into ram $7e002a, and check the track number.
E.g.,
$8951 (2a: 51 2b: 89)=demo theme 1
$d388 =demo theme 2
$8912 =demo theme 3
$889b = game beginning theme
... and so on

So msu code pseudocode with hook at $08/BD09:
REP #$20 ; native code
LDY #$0000; native code
lda $2a
cmp #$889b
bne noTrack1
lda #$0001 ; assign msu track 1 to it
jmp runmsu (store 2004 and that stuff
noTrack1:
cmp #$8951
bne noTrack2
lda #$0002 ; assign msu track 2 to it
jmp runmsu (store 2004 and that stuff)
noTrack2:
... and so on and so on.

One need to play through the complete game and map the values at $2a to a track number... and this one is surely not me Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down