MSU-MD EU VERSION ???

Go down

MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Empty MSU-MD EU VERSION ???

Post by LG30 Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 4:23

Hi all,
I would like to be able to play on my megadrive PAL but the restriction of the MSU driver prevents me.
How can I do to remove this protection because even modifying the roms to JUE it does not work.
Thank you for your answers.

LG30
Rope
Rope

Since : 2021-02-24

Back to top Go down

MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Empty Re: MSU-MD EU VERSION ???

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 11:50

LG30 wrote:How can I do to remove this protection because even modifying the roms to JUE it does not work. Thank you for your answers.
You can download any game's source code from ArcadeTV's GitHub page...
Code:
https://github.com/ArcadeTV
Once source code is obtained, just remove the region check code and recompile. Editing the source code requires any text editor (preferably, NotePad++).

ArcadeTV follows a similar standard for all his releases. For example, here is one from ArcadeTV's Truxton source code.
Correction #1
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test111
...everything, highlighted in RED boxes is what needs to be removed to get rid of the region checking code, not the CD-hardware check.

Correction #2
this must remain.
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test214

Do keep in mind, that music that is timed to intros, title screens, etc via the NTSC standard (60Hz) will be out of sync going down this PAL (50Hz) route. Also, the source code is specific to the target ROM's CRC. I no very little with regards to forcing 50Hz on a 60Hz game.

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 18:12; edited 5 times in total

pev

MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by LG30 Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 13:31

Thank you, your explanations are clear and precise.
I did find the "patch.asm" file and modify the lines concerned, but how can I recreate the patch then to have the .bps? Thanks again.

LG30
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:03

LG30 wrote:...but how can I recreate the patch then to have the .bps? Thanks again.
Which game are you trying to rebuild?

UPDATE: Hold a sec. Let me create a template for you to use to build this ROM. There are some additional files required not present in Arcade's source code files.

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:08; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by LG30 Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:07

This game : TMNT - The Hyperstone Heist

LG30
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by LG30 Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:18

But if not, give me a guide so that I can apply it to other games MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? 1f609

LG30
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:34

LG30 wrote:This game : TMNT - The Hyperstone Heist
But if not, give me a guide so that I can apply it to other games MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? 1f609
Ok, you will need to unpack the files from link below and place them into the folder where the source code is stored...
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GUqRr98GV_Ieh0FyRSChY58NoPozpTXO/view?usp=sharing

Here is how the files should look in TMNT folder...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Suppor11

Now, create two additional folders, like this...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test11
Must be a ROMS and OUTPUT folder. Very important!

Copy the TMNT ROM with correct CRC of 679C41DE to the ROMS folder. Rename the TMNT ROM to IN.MD

Next, the ROM will need to be resized from 8mbits to 16mbits. You can do this by using WindHex. You can get it here... <-- PLEASE SEE UPDATE #1 BELOW !!!
Code:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/291/

Open the IN.MD ROM file in WindHex. When rom is opened go here...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Suppor14
then do this...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Suppor15
then click DONE button. Make sure to save the modified ROM.

Now you can just run the build.bat file. You will find your patched ROM in the OUTPUT folder, named OUT.MD. <--- PLEASE SEE UPDATE #2 BELOW !!!

If you want to make an IPS or BPS file from this. You will need Lunar IPS or Floating IPS app for that. That would have to be a different tutorial for that.
Wink

This process is pretty much the same for all of ArcadeTV's current MSU-MD releases. Unless he changes his format in the future.

UPDATE #1: Forgot to mention that Arcade mentions what size a game should be in his patch.asm file. Like this...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Suppor17
Each game's resizing varies. So keep this in mind with other games.

UPDATE #2: Ah, one more hiccup. You need to open the following three batch files...
_make_srec.bat
_apply_srec.bat
_fixcrc.bat
...in each of these three batch files you will need to remove the ..\ illustrated below (and resave). Otherwise, the build.bat file will not work!
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test210
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test310
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test411

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 15:17; edited 5 times in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 15:07

LG30 wrote:But if not, give me a guide so that I can apply it to other games  MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? 1f609
I just found some stupid mistakes on my guide. Please see revisions.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by LG30 Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 16:46

Thank you for your time and especially for your tutorial. I end up with this error after launching the build.bat file.
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test10

LG30
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 17:46

LG30 wrote:Thank you for your time and especially for your tutorial. I end up with this error after launching the build.bat file.
Did you see my revisions? I just did it on mine and it works.

UPDATE: Ok, I see what is going on. We have to remove other references to the lockout in the source. I will post ASM for you to review in a bit.

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 18:09; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 17:56

Ok, I had to remove comment out other references to the lockout code in the asm. The lockout screen must remain as ArcadeTV uses it if no CD hardware is detected (not just region).

Download modified source here...
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q6bu3XwbBSp2gBrz45GYuUzBZA9KzjR0/view?usp=sharing

Just unpack, copy your TMNT ROM into ROM folder and run build.bat. You will be good to go.

The modified source just has these changes, see images below...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test110
and left lockout screen undisturbed (must stay)...
MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Test213

I posted these corrections at the top as well. (labeled as Correction #1 and Correction #2). Same deal, you can use this ASM as reference for the other games you wish to remove the region check on. Good luck.

Now, with this source. The only way the lockout screen will activate is if you are missing the BIN/CUE files that must reside with patched ROM. The region check portion is gone.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by LG30 Tue 6 Apr 2021 - 16:23

Well what to say ... you are at the top, a real chef. Respest man .... I'll be able to play on my PAL MCD. Thank you again for the tutorials you gave me. See you soon on the forum.

LG30
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcadeTV Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 5:29

I implemented 50Hz lockouts for a reason, if your machine runs 20% slower the timed audio tracks that have sfx or a specific length will not match the content on your screen any more.
I always wanted to add 50Hz-only versions of the patches but since that would take a big chunk of time I didn't do it. (Besides I really dislike playing in PAL mode with the letterboxed screen and slower speed)
if there's demand, I would be willing to add 50-Hz optimized versions, but only if there are users for this case.

PS. I really don't know why you guys do a workaround instead of using the issue tracker on my github. I think putting all info, versions and issues on a central place is the best way to keep everyone in the loop and avoiding new issues popping up.
ArcadeTV
ArcadeTV

MSU-MD EU VERSION ??? Image111

Back to top Go down