Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions

Go down

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Empty Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions

Post by Wesker Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 10:00

This is neat. I have always wished for Super Turrican 2 getting the same MSU-1 treatment that Super Turrican did some years ago, because of the awesome Turrican Soundtrack Anthology tracks. I'm glad the technical issues preventing it have finally been solved.

About the five Super Turrican 2 music tracks apparently not being present in the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology, that holds true for "Gas", "MineSweeper" and "Manta Ray". But "Psycho Spin" and "Bullet Ride", on the other hand, are definitely in there.

"Bullet Ride" is embedded as part of the "Buggy Panic" remix, same as "I, Robot". I'm surprised you didn't notice it, as you got the "I, Robot" bit out of that one.

Code:
https://youtu.be/BLNA08ILc2I

"Bullet Ride" is the bit that starts at 2:09

"Psycho Spin" is pretty much the same. This one is embedded as part of the "Pirate Station" remix.

Code:
https://youtu.be/fvxir8VHsM0

In this case, "Pirate Station" somewhat transitions into what can be recognized as a more melodic take of "Psycho Spin" about halfway the track.

Also, I'm also puzzled about how "Born to the Wild" was cut to strictly mimic the basis of the original SNES rendition, so it never really moves forward like the extended Turrican Soundtrack Anthology take on it does. I feel Chris Hülsbeck did a great job expanding on the theme and it's a shame not to fully use it.

Code:
https://youtu.be/bfmC-Izlpnc

Wesker
Witch
Witch

Since : 2015-12-28

Back to top Go down

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Empty Re: Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions

Post by pev Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 10:50

Wesker wrote:"Bullet Ride" is embedded as part of the "Buggy Panic" remix, same as "I, Robot". I'm surprised you didn't notice it, as you got the "I, Robot" bit out of that one.
It is not about being negligent in any way. It is purely tunnel vision on my part. When you do a bunch of tracks and play test the game (start to finish, several times); your mind zones out and human imperfections kick in. This is why I am glad others notice these little things so these issues get sorted it out. I will work on it when the time allows. Thanks for this one.
In this case, "Pirate Station" somewhat transitions into what can be recognized as a more melodic take of "Psycho Spin" about halfway the track.
I did have a gut feeling about this one but, at least to me, it sounded no where near the original like the others. So, I left it out. I can revisit this one too. Thanks again for the input.
Also, I'm also puzzled about how "Born to the Wild" was cut to strictly mimic the basis of the original SNES rendition
Keeping the whole rendition of this track made it extremely difficult to find a decent loop point without causing crackling and pop issues. Loop points are very difficult with this type of music. Generally, the loop point is very obvious and horrendous. So when tasked between two possibilities...

#1 Keep a crappy, inferior loop point with audio anomalies along a bloated PCM file (and possibly not being able to hear the extended soundtrack in its entirety due the length of the stage)
-- OR --
#2 Find a good valid loop point with minimal anomalies and smaller PCM footprint

In this scenario, I will always pick #2. Nonetheless, If time allows, I can take a stab at it again. Or you can always ask other PCM artists here to get you even closer to "your vision" of perfection. I'm in no rush, to me, this is just a game and purely a hobby. Take care and thanks again.

Wink

pev

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesker Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 16:15

Don't worry. I was just pointing out. Feel free to revisit them when you are able to. I thank you for your efforts here.

It's true what you mention about the length of the 2-2 stage, if played straight away, being inferior to the length of the extended "Born to the Wild" track. That can be solved if you pause the game and let the song go on a little, so you can actually play while hearing all the new part. Plus, it can also be fully listened on the sound test.

I'm leaving here some proof of concepts, thanks to the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology in Motion YouTube channel, of how would be stage 2-2 with the full version of "Born to be Wild" and also stages 2-5 and 3-3 with the "Bullet Ride" and "Psycho Spin" tracks added in.

Code:
https://youtu.be/2jdzNDz6ljA

Code:
https://youtu.be/X4VvnjSbuS0

Code:
https://youtu.be/DPLlgN9KMUg

I believe the "Psycho Spin" one, even though it differs a little compared to the original, could benefit of the starting transition it has in the remixed version (it's the bit between 1:30 and 1:50, probably the best starting point would be on 1:36). Not sure why the creator of the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology in Motion videos thought it would be better to have the track inserted that way, it makes it start a little abrupt.

Thanks again.

Wesker
Witch
Witch

Since : 2015-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 16:23

@Wesker So far, Relikk helped with Born to Be Wild. It is updated at the top. I will mess with the other tracks using your suggestions once time allows.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 17:43

Pev managed to pull me out of retirement for this patch and we had a *very hard time with this one.
We appreciate each input, but in the end I'd need to say, be happy with what we have. If there's space to improve stuff I welcome if people learn to code (pev, I and many others managed) or learn to make pcm yourself (pev, relikk and many others managed).
Conn
Conn

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Retroplay Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 18:47

I'm thrilled with what you all have achieved, that's for sure. Very Happy

I can see it's not only Chris Huelsbeck's sound driver for MegaDrive, that's causing some serious headaches.
I know ArcadeTV has some issues with Mega Turrican (game crashing at the worm mini-boss on first stage).

Anyway, I have the 4 disc soundtrack as well.
Time permitting, I will see if I can whip some pcms of the missing tracks up, unless someone else beats me to it.
Retroplay
Retroplay

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Image110

Since : 2019-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 18:49

Retroplay wrote:Anyway, I have the 4 disc soundtrack as well.
Time permitting, I will see if I can whip some pcms of the missing tracks up, unless someone else beats me to it.
No worries. I already did the work. The newer sound pack is almost done uploading. It already contains the suggested fixes.

For me, this is the final time I will mess with these tracks. Anyone else that feels it can be done better. From here on, help yourself to make corrections/additions and pass it along to add to this set. Thanks for playing and assisting.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Retroplay Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 20:06

That's fast service, all's well as far as I'm concerned. Smile
Retroplay
Retroplay

Super Turrican II PCM Suggestions Image110

Since : 2019-08-21

Back to top Go down