Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom

Go down

Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom Empty Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom

Post by scawful Sun 4 May 2014 - 16:44

I used the legends of hyrule rom as a base for my hack so all the transitions are the warped kind instead of the moving ones, does anyone know how to change this so i get normal transitions back? Either through a hex method or I can email you my rom to fix.
scawful
scawful

Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom Empty Re: Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom

Post by Founder Sun 4 May 2014 - 17:12

Maybe these can help, all I have on those transitions in the guide;

Euclid wrote:F) TRANSITION BETWEEN OW AREAS

Need to alter the way Overworld moves from area to area?
At hex address 12CDD change the value to 80 = Changes the scroll to fade out.

Euclid wrote:Overworld areas always blank-out

Remember how when you enter/exit Area 00 or 40 you'll get a "blank out" before going into the next screen? This actually does good when going say, from a brown grass area to a green grass area, or go from a non-raining bg to a raining bg (the swamp in dark world is a good example, if you have joined that screen with the other screens and don't feel like getting rid of the raining overlay.)

Well here's how to make it always blank-out.

02AAE3EA
02AAE4EA

Enter these 2 codes, or if you want them permanently, just hack these codes into your rom.

rom with header offset: 12CE3 and 12CE4 - change to EA

If you want them in particular spots, I’m afraid that requires some asm programming work and some free space in the rom, checking for 0 is actually takes less space to program than say, check 1B and 0

Here's a rough dump of the code

# pop the "Current area code" off the stack
$02/AADA 68 PLA
# check if the area is 0 or #40, (only #40& 3F and 0 & 3F gives 0) and that jumps to 02/AAE5.
$02/AADB 29 3F AND #$3F
$02/AADD F0 06 BEQ $06
# if it is 0/#40, load the current area code (stored in $8A, anything other than 0 or 40 will make it jump to another section of the code.)
$02/AADF A5 8A LDA $8A
$02/AAE1 29 BF AND #$BF
$02/AAE3 D0 0F BNE $0F
# here's the initialisation routine for the "blank out" sequence by setting the "sub module" bits to appropriate values (thanks to MathOnNapkins for those bits, which made finding this way easier)
$02/AAE5 64 B0 STZ $B0
$02/AAE7 A9 0D LDA #$0D
$02/AAE9 85 11 STA $11
$02/AAEB A9 00 LDA #$00
$02/AAED 85 95 STA $95
$02/AAEF 8F 11 C0 7E STA $7EC011
$02/AAF3 60 RTS

Founder

Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom Empty Re: Removing the warped transitions on OoS rom

Post by scawful Sun 4 May 2014 - 17:28

I think you have misunderstood, I'm trying to get the normal transitions back because my rom is entirely fade-to-black transitions.
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun 4 May 2014 - 17:50

Haven't misunderstood... These codes above are to add fade-to-black transitions everywhere. I assumed that by comparing the original Zelda 3 rom and those hex addresses, you'd be able to get the original values that were written there and revert the transitions back to normal! Wink

Founder

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 4 May 2014 - 17:56

Ooooh! Yep, I compared them and it worked Very Happy thanks ahaha
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 31 Oct 2014 - 15:26

I can't tell you how much I wish I'd known this info 2 years ago when I started mapping PW. There's a 1-pixel row on the top and bottom of each area that can only be seen during a vertical scroll between areas, so I was unable to screenshot that row on areas with fade-out transitions, meaning I had to manually recreate that 1-pixel row by finding, copying, and pasting the correct tile, all by hand in GIMP. 2 years after I started, I still haven't finished the icy overworld as a result of this. But now, with this info, I've managed to patch out the fade transitions and now I should be able to finish up the icy overworld much more quickly... Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down