Zelda3 IQ test grand release

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Empty Zelda3 IQ test grand release

Post by Puzzledude Sun 4 Oct 2015 - 10:13

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Get
Latest version: 2-0
Original ROM CRC-32: 777AAC2F

Have you ever wondered, how smart you are? Time to test it out with this unconventional Zelda hack, which will test the limits of your intuitive, logical and algorithmic thinking.

This is a short and yet complete hack of Zelda3, with the main goal to force the player to think. In addition new ASM codes have been inserted. These codes made some fantastic new puzzles and items possible, not seen in the original. A lot of gfx has also been changed. Some later parts of the game will however require good old sword to sword action.

May the Einstein be with you.

Download Xdelta PATCH (v2-0)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5074

Download README on how to use the patch (v2-0)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5075

Download a list of Updates (v2-0)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5077

Or at Romhacking:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2575/

Supported Emulators:
ZSNES (Fusoya), Snes9x 151 (official), Snes9x 153 (official), Snes9x 153 (Fusoya), Snes9x RR, Snes9x TAS, Snes9x for MAC etc.
--------------------------

Original ROM file info (to patch to):
Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A link to the past [U] [!]
Region: US
Header: No header
Size: 1.024 KB
Extension: SMC
File CRC-32: 777AAC2F
Rom  CRC-32: 777AAC2F
File MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
Rom  MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72

Last edited by Puzzledude on Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 13:25; edited 10 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Empty Re: Zelda3 IQ test grand release

Post by Erockbrox Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 3:12

Can I play this on my sd2snes?
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 6:05

I'm assuming since this is over, your next project going to be Gates of Time?!
I'll probably do something a lot smaller in between like the Goddess of Wisdom remodel (a easier version of the game).

Can I play this on my sd2snes?
Unfortunately sd2snes supports only the standard opened source Loroms. This game however was done on separate roms (each dungeon or big dungeon part in one Lorom) and then hex-glued together using the Exlorom format.

A similar format was used by Fusoya with his SMW hack Super Demo World The Legend Continues.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Fri 11 Mar 2016 - 18:31; edited 2 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by TylerDurden Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 10:51

Thank you so much. Wonderful work ! Without you guys we wouldn't have that fun and joy. I hope can pay back someday by making nice hacks as well as you do.

TylerDurden
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2014-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 11:51

TylerDurden wrote:Thank you so much. Wonderful work! Without you guys we wouldn't have that fun and joy. I hope I can pay back someday by making nice hacks as well as you do.
You are welcome. However this game is maybe not so "nice", lol. Specially because it requires some more brainstorming.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 13:58

Omg. I just got the green pendant. I guess I will dream about teleporters tonight Confused

Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 15:00

Omg. I just got the green pendant. I guess I will dream about teleporters tonight.
Great!! This dungeon is probably the most confusing, since the solution to it is algorithm based. Good to know that there are players out there, who can actually finish this with no help!

Also, Conn, there is a lot of your ASM in the game and I also credited you in the end credits (if anyone will ever get there) by doing a lot of hex edits (since the end credits can only be edited with this long manual hex method on which letters to load).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Fri 11 Mar 2016 - 18:32; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 16:22

OMG I still haven't had a chance to play this. I can't wait.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 5 Oct 2015 - 17:50

Great!! This dungeon is probably the most confusing, since the solution to it is algorithm based. Good to know that there are players out there, who can actually finish this with no help!

Also, Conn, there is a lot of your ASM in the game and I also credited you in the end credits (if anyone will ever get there) by doing a lot of hex edits (since the end credits can only be edited with this long manual hex method on which letters to load).
Uh, I just ran around like mad, somehow I managed to find both keys, then the hammer and... boss. Having to fight it under these circumstances I streched my middle finger a long way towards you... ( Very Happy please do not ban me due to my memory reports Razz )

Could you spoiler tell the algorithm you used with the teleporters? I'm curious Smile

Also thanks for the credits. I'm honored but as always, nobody needs to credit me - I take them but no mandatory if anybody uses my hacks I feel honored enough Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 1:09

By the way Puzzledude, cool hack. So far it's been everything that I hoped it would and I'm sure even more before it's finished.

I'll probably do something a lot smaller in between like the Goddess of Wisdom remodel (a easier version of the game).

No Puzzledude's Quest Remodel? You know how much people hate the overworld. If I hadn't taken the time to learn how to alter the ROM in a hex editor so that HM wouldn't ruin it I may have never finished that game. The mazes, I feel, add nothing to the game but frustration. It's like you can't go anywhere without having to first step on every single tile in the area.

Anyway, don't get too distracted by people bitching about the format of the new hack. From what I can tell, you've done an awesome job and being able to finish so many Zelda III hacks is quite a respectable achievement in my eyes. Now if that Seph guy would just...
Very Happy
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 2:42

Uh, I just ran around like mad, somehow I managed to find both keys, then the hammer and... boss. Having to fight it under these circumstances I streched my middle finger a long way towards you... (please do not ban me due to my memory reports).
This was actually already done on Goddess of Wisdom 2.0. Then players hated it and I remodeled it on 2.1 and 3.0. Now I deliberately brought it back in this game. It actually can be done, you just must not panic.

Could you spoiler tell the algorithm you used with the teleporters? I'm curious.
I intend to release the spoiler Guide in the future. So I'm sure you'll see this "optimal path" solution then. But your solve is a good example, that I couldn't really make the maze that complex, since the warps always bring you to the same rooms you were already. So your solve is a proof that it can be solved on random.

Also thanks for the credits. I'm honored but as always, nobody needs to credit me - I take them but no mandatory if anybody uses my hacks I feel honored enough.
Sure, I think the credit is a logical thing to do.

Looks like Frankenstein.
You should have seen the special cart by Red Scorpion for AST. Note: this game has 4 roms with 4MB each and the SRM needs to be "transfered" from one week/rom to another once you finish one.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 2:59

This was actually already done on Goddess of Wisdom 2.0. Then players hated it and I remodeled it on 2.1 and 3.0. Now I deliberately brought it back in this game. It actually can be done, you just must not panic.

I loved that first boss battle. I panicked the first time but then I just played it smart. I think it took me 4 tries. Would have been less had I bothered to farm for fairies, but that would have made it too easy. Some times it's more fun not to be careful.

You should have seen the special cart by Red Scorpion for AST. Note: this game has 4 roms with 4MB each and the SRM needs to be "transfered" from one week/rom to another once you finish one.

heh I can only imagine. Sounds like a nightmare. Much easier just to load all four ROMs onto a Powerpak and when each week is over, reset and since the Powerpak gives you the option to choose which save file you want to use you don't have to worry about any of that renaming stuff. But then again, that's not AST 1-4 all on one fake AST cart that someone can charge 100's of dollars for.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 3:19

So far it's been everything that I hoped it would and I'm sure even more before it's finished. Anyway, don't get too distracted by people bitching about the format of the new hack.
Nice. It is also good to know, that some here are actually playing, rather than to talk about how it is formatted.

It is just how I envision the playing of a SNES game or a SNES hack in our time - on a PC and with the USB joystick. Did you know you can also hardware-hack the SNES joystick to have the USB plug-in.

I wish this format was also compatible with other emus, like the one on PSP, however then I realized that these emus were designed to run original games, not hacks. So it is logical they can give up. PC emus however were designed for hacks as well it sems (specially if you take a look at some of the "unstable" SMW hacks that run fine on Zsnes).

No Puzzledude's Quest Remodel? You know how much people hate the overworld. If I hadn't taken the time to learn how to alter the ROM in a hex editor so that HM wouldn't ruin it I may have never finished that game. The mazes, I feel, add nothing to the game but frustration. It's like you can't go anywhere without having to first step on every single tile in the area.
I could easily remodel this to, so that the overworld mazes are removed and the original overworld is brought back. Shame that so many quit in the light world due to that, and miss out the action of the dark world dungeons.

Also, do note, that the PD quest was done years ago. I was a rookie at the time and also couldn't even fix the 3rd starting point from the cave (so I had to put the player into spikes, since after the player is defeated, you can again choose another start).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 4:13

Played the first level - pretty good so far.

The boss and the eye laser just before the boss hole caught me a bit off guard (because you can't really see the eye when you walk into the room, not too fair IMO) - had to use my fairy reserve.
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 6:14

Yes, some lasers like that are sort of unfair (some more like that are later in the game as well).

By the way Euclid, I'm sure you noticed, the first 2 levels are Impa's and Nabooru's revenge and were designed, based on your Impa's ways and Nabooru's hole from Parallel Worlds. I haven't really underlined this in the game, but should be obvious for players.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 7:12

I finished D2 to the treasure, but am not able to find the 2nd key... I know which chest it must be but cannot find the correct hole combination to reach it Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 7:44

I finished D2 to the treasure, but am not able to find the 2nd key... I know which chest it must be but cannot find the correct hole combination to reach it.
Send you a PM to give you some hints.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by TylerDurden Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 11:10

I've just got the first pingent lol, was a lot of fun : D
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Spin

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Firstp10

TylerDurden
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2014-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 11:38

Great. I must have underestimated you all, since a lot have finished this difficult warp maze dungeon as well as the "not so friendly designed" boss room.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 17:25

I could easily remodel this to, so that the overworld mazes are removed and the original overworld is brought back. Shame that so many quit in the light world due to that, and miss out the action of the dark world dungeons.

I'd like to see it all crammed into one redesigned light overworld. But of course it is not my hack.

the eye laser just before the boss hole caught me a bit off guard

I liked it because it reminded me of stuff from BCvsG. Every so often there would be something that you may be able to avoid, but unless you know it's coming, forget about it. Things like that remind me of those moments in Castlevania games where you go to jump over a pit without thinking about it and in midair a bat or medusa head suddenly appears. Let's you know you gotta be on your toes at all times.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 6 Oct 2015 - 22:43

I have made a video lets play of this IQ hack. Puzzle dude, where do you prefer me post the video? In this thread or another?
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Zelda3 IQ test grand release Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 7 Oct 2015 - 5:49

Erockbrox wrote:I have made a video lets play of this IQ hack. Puzzledude, where do you prefer me post the video? In this thread or another?
Great. I believe in this thread is in order, since this topic is about this game. Smile
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Thu 8 Oct 2015 - 9:37

So far so good, up to the new brown block room...

does take time though, sometimes save states really help since i don't have to repush so many things.
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 8 Oct 2015 - 12:53

I get an inner crisis when seeing more and more block puzzles Confused
So far, so good is also a statement of myself Razz . Came until here with asking Puzz "only?" two times:
Zelda3 IQ test grand release Iq_00013
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 8 Oct 2015 - 15:35

Oh, you are at the last puzzle of this Block Village dungeon Conn. This one is bigger in size, but not really that difficult. Your solving will be rewarded with an item in this room.

Also, nice solve Euclid, if you made it to that room with brown block - which means you solved some very difficult rooms on your own.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next