The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy - Page 3 Empty The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy

Patch Download v1.1:
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ippc8co7k0bk8t7/HL_1.1_-_Current_Test_Version.zip/file
The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

-----------------------------------------------

Hello out there, I'am IntimFuchtler and I would like to show you my Hack
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy

It's my first released Hack ever, changing all Dungeons and some minor Overworld edits. So it's kind of a half Hack.

You can expect:
- New Dungeons
- 2 Extra Dungeons
- New Dungeon Order
- Minibosses
- New to some extend unique Ideas regarding Level Design
- A new Item Order
- New Hud (thanks to the ToT Hud Patch)
- Many other stuff

V 1.1 Level Design Changes

V 1.042
- Level Design Changes, ought to be the final version

V 1.02
- Fixed a possible Softlock in Turtle Rock

V 1.01
- Some minor Changes

V 1.0 Changelog:
- Look at the Readme for more

V 0.96 Changelog:
- Fixed a gamebreaking bug before Level 1
- Fixed a mistake in the Readme
- The Map is now totally screwed up in most of the Dungeons

V 0.95 Changelog:
- Added ingame credits
- Fixed some game important bugs in Level 6 and 8 (thanks to Puzzledude)
- Balanced some things
- other minor stuff

I would like to hear some constructive critic^^

Some other questions of mine, is it possible to create a asm Patch, which will show up a message only one time in a specific part of the room (like NW, NE ...)?
Also i have removed Sahashrahala so the Pendant locations never show up on the map. Is it possible that they will show up after you have met with the priest?

Last edited by IntimFuchtler on Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 8:23; edited 19 times in total
IntimFuchtler
IntimFuchtler

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past: Hylian Legacy :: Comments

IntimFuchtler

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 11:21 by IntimFuchtler

It,s because you are using an old version of my hack, v0.9
I looked it up and in version 0.9 the part 2 spriteset in this dark world is messed up. Don't know why.
Anyway, you should download version 0.95 from the first post then it should work. Though I applied some patches, the save file should still work

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 11:29 by Puzzledude

I loaded the 095 and this area and the sprites are unchanged. Do note, when sprites get bugged and you fix the issue with HM and save, it will not solve the problem. When you reload the game in HM, the sprites will be back to false.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 12:04 by NoMercy

IntimFuchtler wrote:It,s because you are using an old version of my hack, v0.9
I looked it up and in version 0.9 the part 2 spriteset in this dark world is messed up. Don't know why.
Anyway, you should download version 0.95 from the first post then it should work. Though I applied some patches, the save file should still work

I'm using the IPS file from your first post, downloaded yesterday.

Back to top Go down

IntimFuchtler

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 12:20 by IntimFuchtler

I downloaded the patch from the first post and the sprite set is messed up. I wonder when this happened, because my original version is fine. So I need to modify this problem in hex?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 13:03 by Puzzledude

IntimFuchtler wrote:I downloaded the patch from the first post and the sprite set is messed up. I wonder when this happened, because my original version is fine. So I need to modify this problem in hex?
I mannaged to fix this problem with Hyrule Magic when I was playing the game and could not proceed.

Patch to Alttp US non-headered rom:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Zelda3_A_Link_to_the_Dungeons_hack_v0-9_sprite_fix.ips

If you implement your fixes from 090 to 095 into this rom, you should then get 095 with this fix.

Back to top Go down

IntimFuchtler

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 13:57 by IntimFuchtler

I also fixed it myself. I will update the first post once I get to it. But thanks anyway Puzzledude^^

Edit: Updated first Post. In the current Version 0.96, the map is broken in most of the Dungeons, Idk why. But I won't touch it now, I don't want to screw up the rom

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 17:01 by ChristosOwen

Hello,

First and foremost, thanks to you and everyone else on Zeldix for all your hard work over the years making wonderful hacks for people like me to play and enjoy. I've played every one I know of, from Parallel Worlds (original and remodel), Goddess of Wisdom, ToT, Bruce Campbell vs Ganon, the Master Quests, Puzzledude's hack, all the beta's I've managed to find, Mystery of Solarus, and I've speedrun the original ALTTP for years and made puzzle designs of my own in that game. All your hacks have been incredible and I thank you all so much.

For Hylian Legacy I played it through entirely 100% in 2 days and wanted to let you know about some issues I ran into with v0.95.

0. I assume you know about the messed up text everywhere with NPCs, the faulty s+q text/menu, and any NPC which interacts with rupees automatically take them from you by selecting the first action automatically. For example, in the Wishing Well where you upgrade your bomb/arrow capacity, it automatically throws in 5 rupees before you get a chance to choose, which makes upgrading these take forever!

1. The overworld section before Palace of Darkness is bugged. Kiki does not spawn and there are messed up sprites on the edges of the map and a Moldorm boss stuck inside a ledge. This makes it impossible to proceed with the game, but someone patched Kiki in for me so I could proceed. I think the intended sprites for this screen are missing too.

2. Dungeon 3 is completely glitched. The first room (and the room above with Vitreous) work fine (although no small key drops from the little eyes as intended), but if you go south on either the left or right door, the following room is completely incorrect. It looks like something got messed up and the wrong rooms are being loaded - you can see easily in Hyrule Magic. This is fine on v0.90 so I was able to switch to that version for this dungeon, then switch back to v0.95 with the same save file to continue.

3. Dungeon 7 has a huge glitch in the boss room. When trying to jump off the ledge onto the boss platform to get to Kholdstare, Link hops off and lands on the incorrect layer of the game, so he is in the EG state (he can walk between any rooms in the underworld map). Sadly the boss is on the upper layer so you can't kill him from below on this layer (you can break the shell with Bombos, but can't touch the puff balls after that). However I simply went to another dungeon's boss room whilst in the EG state (and the game thinks I'm still in dungeon 7) and so the 7th crystal will just drop, so I was able to continue by doing this.

4. I'm not sure if it's linked with the above point, but when I went to get Ice Rod, the Kholdstare in that "mini dungeon" dropped a heart container. Was this intended? If so, then there are 21 available hearts in this game, if you collect all heart pieces and kill all bosses? I believe the game will only allow 20 hearts and show 20 hearts, even if you collect more?

5. In some dungeons where you hookshot onto pots/blocks but are near railings, you will clip through the floor and into the EG state. This happened to me twice, in the Moon Pearl dungeon and Ganon's Tower, although it may also be possible elsewhere.

6. In dungeon 4, if you use a pipe, then fall in a hole, the game puts you back in the doorway you entered from, however you then cannot go back through pipes for some reason.

7. In dungeon 5, sometimes when climbing stairs Link would 'hop' up them as if he was exiting water, when he wasn't. Very minor thing.

8. In Ganon's Tower, the "hidden small key" with the hint pot on the ledge above and the small key hidden from view in a pot underneath. If you fall down the hidden hole on the room above and land on that square, it messes up Link's sprite and enemy sprites, and item drops etc (weird things like arrows partially loaded on Link's feet etc). Personally I didn't like the "hidden from view" small key here in the first place, although it makes sense within the concept of the dungeon, it's easy to overlook...

Beyond this, I also noticed some (potentially) unintended sequence breaks that I wanted to let you know of.

1. You can bomb jump over holes which are 2 tiles in length/width. For example, the hole leading up Death Mountain can be crossed with bomb jumps instead of Hookshot, potentially letting you skip the first dungeon. This is true in other places too. If you want to prevent this, I would make the holes 3 tiles wide instead of 2.

2. After reaching the Dark World and beating the first dungeon, you open up the west side of Dark World Hyrule. With the gloves, I was able to immediately access Ether and Magic Mirror which were really useful. I could also reach dungeon 2 (in Kakariko) and dungeon 6 (in Lost Woods). I decided to try and do dungeon 6 first just to see how much could be done. With Ether I was able to reveal the hidden floors without lighting the torches and complete the majority of the dungeon, including obtaining Titan's Mitts. This allowed me to get Tempered Sword immediately, as well as Cane of Byrna and anything else that required Mitts that I've forgotten. If you want to prevent this, I would probably make the Mitts blocked by a specific puzzle that must 100% require Fire Rod and/or Cane of Somaria, depending on how easy you want to make it for the player to reach before completing dungeons 3, 4 and 5 first (5 is irrelevant of course as flippers are not needed for dungeon 6). Obviously I could not enter the final part of the dungeon as I did not yet have Fire Rod.

3. The puzzle to get Blue Mail can be broken by throwing a bomb down just to the left of the blocks. This allowed me to bypass some of the puzzles/keys to get Blue Mail

That's everything I noticed. Some thoughts on the dungeons and hack in general:

1. My favourite dungeon was dungeon 5 (your version of swamp palace). This was fantastic, and the best dungeon I've seen in an alttp hack. Loved the design, it really was clever and good fun.

2. My least favourite were dungeon 4 and dungeon 7 (a little on the slow side with the backtracking, and dungeon 7 could get frustrating by having to use trial and error to fall down holes blindly at first, together with ice physics (!) made it less enjoyable - although still not bad overall at all, just not quite as good as your others in my opinion).

3. Dungeon 8 was a whole other thing, this was a brutal experience and reminded me of the negative side of Parallel Worlds. Overall it's not bad, but is very very frustrating due to a couple of things... the last part of the dungeon where you can fall back to previous rooms in the 'gauntlet' is frustrating, since the further you get in the dungeon, then the further back you fall. Doing the same rooms over and over isn't fun. Especially with wallmasters which can take you back to the start!!

Please, for the love of God, remove the wallmasters! This doesn't add fun or difficulty, just frustation. In the final 4 rooms with the star tiles and time-pressured puzzle in the final room, whilst good conceptually, are highly irritating after having done the rest of the dungeon. There's no real reason to know to avoid the stars at first and to have to go quick in the final room, which is unfair on the player. Maybe if you added a Sashrahla tile which said "don't step on the tiles, and go quickly in the final room!" or something would make this fairer to the player. Personally this was the least favourite part of the whole hack for me. Also the room where you have narrow ice walkways, cannonballs shooting and eyegores... worst room in the game by far (and it lags like hell). This would be fine if it wasn't on ice! Lastly, the room with a spike maze on the bottom layer but hidden by a platform with torches/blocks... I didn't much like this. I understood the puzzle that I needed to follow the correct path, turn at blocks. It was still frustrating to lose health from spikes because you can't see them. I hate not being able to see properly, and things hidden from view, it's (in my opinion) a bit cheap.

4. Love the boss rush at the end of the game, fantastic idea! Personally I would add magic before Kholdstare though otherwise you have to reset if you use your magic early. I'm guessing Blind was difficult to add in due to how the boss mechanics work for that fight?

5. I think maybe you overused boss fights (not including the boss rush at the end of the game - this was good!). Had to fight LW bosses (Armos, Lanmolas and Moldorm) so many times... also lots of Vitreous and Kholdstare fights... started to get a little tedious. I enjoyed the single, double and then triple Lanmolas' idea though.

6. Your credits were really good! Great to see credit given to names like Euclid, Seph, Puzzledude, Mathonnapkinsm etc

Lastly, from a fun and player perspective, over the years of playing all alttp rom hacks multiple times I always wonder the following things (not aimed at your hack in particular):

1. Why do people love spikes so much? There are ALWAYS so many spikes everywhere... it gets annoying.

2. Same with tile rooms. These are so boring, please if you add tile rooms, make them few and far between!

3. Any puzzle/area that FORCES you to take damage to get through (excluding Cape/Byrna) is in my opinion badly designed. Frustrating to have to take damage to proceed due to intentional puzzle design.

4. Why are bosses always repeated so much? Especially when you have to go through the same room multiple times and fight them again and again when exploring. I understand there isn't an easy "permanently defeated" flag without collecting the heart container, but it's annoying.

5. Hundreds of beamos statues, always on conveyers and mixed with ice physics... meh.

6. Why so many dark rooms?? Frustrating. Although this worked well for you in your "Palace of Darkness" which was dark - that's a good idea. But they tend to get overused to add superficial difficulty, which is meh.

7. The worst bit for me, backtracking! One way doors... when you arrive at a room for the first time and have a choice of 3 doors, it's SO infuriating to choose one and have it lock behind you preventing you to go back, and then finding out you have to do another whole loop of the dungeon. Why do this!? If there's no way of knowing which door is the correct one as a first time player of the hack, don't punish people based on luck. In general, dungeons where you need to go back and forth between rooms doing multiple loops is annoying.

Overall a really fun hack, I think my favourite, and I've played every one that I know of. Great work man! Of course these are just my opinions, so feel free to ignore them or act on them as you wish. Thanks for making this, it was really fun to play.

ChristosOwen

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 17:59 by Puzzledude

If so, then there are 21 available hearts in this game if you collect all heart pieces and kill all bosses? I believe the game will only allow 20 hearts and show 20 hearts, even if you collect more?
The game will not allow more than 20 heart containers. If you collect more, it will just go to NOP.

In dungeon 4, if you use a pipe, then fall in a hole, the game puts you back in the doorway you entered from, however you then cannot go back through pipes for some reason.
We know this, but unfortunately this could not be fixed by the ASM people here. The original game will not allow such pipe design, as it is in this dungeon.

If you fall down the hidden hole on the room above and land on that square, it messes up Link's sprite and enemy sprites, and item drops etc (weird things like arrows partially loaded on Link's feet etc).
This is a known bug, but we never documented it on how to fix it.

Same with tile rooms. These are so boring, please if you add tile rooms, make them few and far between!
Fortunately there is an ASM by Math on Napkins, which allows to limit the number of floor tiles. Original number simply is to high (and before they run out it takes forever). So you can expect some tile rooms with a lot less tiles to fly at Link in some future Alttp hacks.

All together I would say this hack has great potential regarding dungeons, but they stil need work from a debugging perspective.

Back to top Go down

IntimFuchtler

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 18:14 by IntimFuchtler

First of, thanks for playing^^
It's really great to hear when someone enjoys what I made (now I only need a LP of my hack to watch, this would be awsome Smile ), which was only a test in the first place to get familiar with alttp hacking.

As for your review:

0. This shouldn't happen...

1.  This should be hopefully fixed with my last patch. If there are still bugs, please let me know.

2. Hmm, never encountered this. Could provide me a Screenshot? I tested this just now with 0.96 and it works fine.

3. Also the first time I hear this. Also tried this just now with 0.96 and it worked fine? I dunno what's wrong there.

4. In this case maybe the minibosspatch for rooms 256+ don't work correctly? Cause' this shouldn't happen. I have to look into this. Otherwise I just remove a few heart container pieces (in my final testruns he didn't dropped anything?).

5. They should be fixed by now. If there are any left just show me^^

6. I know, but I hadn't had the time to look into this (it's more complicated than it looks, conn already tried to fix this), my final exam comes up next so I'am quite busy and/or lazy at times.

7. It's a wonder that level 5 is working fine besides this. The water header Tag is quite buggy. I tried to do my best to fix this dungeon, but as it looks there are a few stairs left that produce this bug (sometimes they do and sometimes not??).

1. Thats not a problem. You need the Hookshot in Pendant 2, so this is quite useless.

2. At some point I wanted to let the player choose which dungeon they do next, although many dungeons need a specific item. If the player is eager enough to break into level 6 early, I thought they should be rewarded with the possibility to get the lv 3 sword erlay (although some of the dungeons get a bit too easy with it, maybe I should remove the possibility to do so?).

3. Could you send me a screenshot please where you did this?

Level 5 is also one of my favourites, beside Level 2 and 4 and Hyrule Castle.
Level 7 was a hell to plan. In the end it did turn out not as good as I hoped. I agree that there are too many holes to fall down. When I ever got the time I should redo the whole dungeon.
Level 8 should be a hard challenge where you need to use most of your items.
My goal was that the player needs to use potions at least once if he/she isn't a super player or something like that. The room with the cannonballs was in my original version much harder, good I removed some of ther other obstacles. But with the cane of byrna it's not that hard anymore. Also you can use a red rockclops to damage boost acroos one of the pits. The final floors should be rewarding for the players who get the red mail and not skiped it. But some rooms could be tuned down a bit... And the last challenge is a bit cheap, I know Laughing
First time players a likely to fall down right before the final key.
With the spike maze, the truth is, I got a bit uninspired towards the end, so the final dungeon didn't have that much good puzzles than the others.

As for the Boss Rush, Arrghus isn't working properly and Blind can't be added twice without asm I believe. But glad you enjoyed it^^

I thought I didn't used that much Beamos Statues in my Hack? (only pendant 2, the bonus light world dungeon and Level 8 have them). As for the spikes, in the later parts of the game they are seen more often, thats true. I should come up with other things in my next hack to increase difficulty. Also there aren't that many dark rooms. The darkest dungeon is probably Level 3.

Anyway, thanks for your Review, I really appreciate it (your favourite hack? thanks man  Very Happy ). When I need to do more bug fixing I will try look into the things you mentioned^^

Edit: Also as Puzzledude said, I should have done a bit more bug testing etc. before my first release. But I wanted to move on to new projects regarding Zelda Classic and other things. As for now, the hack is pretty unstable I think, I won't do much more with it, I fear I will break the rom or something with further edits

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 18:45 by Floki

I actually have a similar problem with argghus in my hack.

When you enter his room, the bubbles around him are innexistent and he already is in the second state of the boss fight. He jumps and moves around the screen. Dunno what is causing this as I 'm still using the same room as in lttp...which is weird.

@CristosOwen: -You haven't tried them all. You never tried my Conker hack! I'd really want you to take part in my upcoming october and final beta if you are up for it! Your critical opinions will be much appreciated to say the least because Im really trying hard to make thus an hack that should be enjoyed for everybody with a difficulty on par with lttp. Too many hacks nowadays are being too hard on the players and I'm kinda wanting to change that.

I have very few spikes in the game, little to none beamos , like only one floor tile pattern that flies and its optional even and no dark rooms at all. Yet many puzzles are totally original and pretty much all graphics in the game are brand new.

That goes out for you too Imtimfuchtler! The more beta testers I get, the better!

Back to top Go down

Erockbrox

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 20:17 by Erockbrox

I've played every one I know of, from Parallel Worlds (original and remodel), Goddess of Wisdom, ToT, Bruce Campbell vs Ganon, the Master Quests, Puzzledude's hack, all the beta's I've managed to find, Mystery of Solarus, and I've speedrun the original ALTTP for years and made puzzle designs of my own in that game.

Very impressive that you have played all the current available zelda rom hacks. You must be a die hard fan of the game. This makes you can excellent candidate as a beta tester for the Conker Zelda hack which will be released at the end of the year.

If you have puzzle designs I would love to see them as this is my specialty.

Dungeon 8 was a whole other thing, this was a brutal experience and reminded me of the negative side of Parallel Worlds

We are trying very hard to not do this for the Conker game.

Lastly, from a fun and player perspective, over the years of playing all alttp rom hacks multiple times I always wonder the following things (not aimed at your hack in particular): wrote:

1. Why do people love spikes so much? There are ALWAYS so many spikes everywhere... it gets annoying.

The reason is because its an easy way to create artificial difficulty in a hack. Many times people think that the original zelda 3 was too easy and so they try and beef up their hack with spikes all over the place.

2. Same with tile rooms. These are so boring, please if you add tile rooms, make them few and far between!

I also agree. I believe that I once complained enough about them so that other members here found a few to limit the number of tiles produced. This sprite is okay to use, but only in such a way that it isn't annoying.

ChristosOwen, we are currently working on a new Zelda 3 hack with Conker the squirrel in it. Based on your review of IntimFuchtler's hack, you would make an excellent beta tester for this new hack.

Too many hacks nowadays are being too hard on the players and I'm kinda wanting to change that.

A man has excellent thinking!

Also Imtimfuchtler you too are an excellent person to beta test the Conker hack.

Back to top Go down

SunGodPortal

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 20:36 by SunGodPortal

I actually have a similar problem with argghus in my hack.

When you enter his room, the bubbles around him are innexistent and he already is in the second state of the boss fight. He jumps and moves around the screen. Dunno what is causing this as I 'm still using the same room as in lttp...which is weird.

There's actually two sprites in that same spot in a stock ROM. In my custom CFG file I have them labeled as "Boss-Arrghus" and "Boss-ArrghusFuz" respectively. Perhaps you only placed one of the two necessary sprites?

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 20:41 by Floki

I have both of them, there's actually many fuzz sprites on the same spot and the main boss sprite.

I do believe the order in which you add the sprites plays a role in making it work properly.

Take the trinexx boss battle for exemple. I can't remember the details but if I added the three sprites for it in the wrong order, the boss wouldn't work properly...

I wonder if there's a way to mimic those bosses sprite properties directly in hex so that they work just like in ALTTP!

Back to top Go down

IntimFuchtler

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 8:35 by IntimFuchtler

Conker seems more than a complet new game than a Zelda3 Hack. If I could be of any help by betatesting then count me in^^

At first sight I thought that Arrghus only works in his original room, never thought about the sprite order caus' there are so many ArrghusFuzzys. Also in my Level 9, he is in a room with Water, but ingame the game loads an icy underground, is there a way to fix this?

As for the Monologes, it should be possible to fix the mess in my hack by just copy the original pointers from zelda3? And at which offset starts the monologe data?

Oh and ChristosOwen, I only have two tile rooms in total in my hack. This shouldn't be too bad. I remember this one big room in the Parallel Tower that had 4 in it, so much waiting Confused

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 18:26 by Floki

Thank you for your interest!

I'll add you to the list! Smile

The final beta should be ready by the beginning of october if all goes well!

I still have a ton of fixes to do, but I'll be in vacation in two weeks and another vacation in two months so plenty of time to finalize everything I have been planing to do with this hack!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 18:32 by ChristosOwen

Wow so many replies! Thank you all for your comments. By the way, I hope I didn't come across too critical in my first post, I was trying to be helpful and make constuctive points. I love all the hacks I have played, they must take so much dedication and skill to create, it's far beyond me from a technical standpoint, so it really is impressive. All I can do is play the games. So I thank you all again for all your hard work which have given me hours and hours of fun (and pain)!

I will happily be a beta tester for the Conker hack, and for any hack for that matter. Let me know what I can do to help out.

I am actually part of a large A Link to the Past speedrunning community. We have lots of people who love the original game. If you need more people to beta test/bugtest, I would be able to extend the invite onto quite a lot of people who would be delighted to try them out. We also have a growing community of people who hack the game too, or are making their own hacks (Karkat and Superskuj being two of the main names here). They have been tackling some interesting coding problems.

One of the main projects we're working on at the moment is a 'randomizer' of the original game, which places items randomly throughout chests and NPC's in the original game. Every time you generate a ROM it places items in different places. We often have large races to see who can beat the game fastest and chat with each other whilst racing. It's huge fun, and hilarious when you open the chest in Link's house and find something useful like the Boots or Quake! Dessyreqt is the name of the person who made it, it's an ongoing project, if you're interested in further details you can see more info here:

http://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer/

We have a Discord server where we all hang out, and talk about A Link to the Past, discuss races and speedruns, there's a dedicated hacking channel too. Again if anyone is interested then let me know and I'd be happy to invite you. And if anyone is interested in speedrunning I recommend taking a look at www.speedrunslive.com and you can see lots of ALTTP speedruns/races there. As for myself, I often livestream on www.twitch.tv/ChristosOwen mostly being speedruns or 'puzzles' which I will mention in more detail shortly, as I feel some of you may love them! I hope you don't mind the links, I'm not trying to self plug or anything. I'm mentioning my channel as I will happily stream playthroughs of hacks and give my thoughts as I go, and I can record them to refer back to too.

Intim - yes I wasn't referring to your hack specifically when I mentioned things like dark rooms, tile rooms, beamos; I was more thinking about Parallel Worlds and some other hacks where (in my opinion) these were overused. For the most part these were few are far between in your hack, and when they were there they made sense in the concept of the dungeon they were in. I can see several people have noted that their overuse in other hacks been acknowledged and they will be less pervasive in future hacks (which is great!) so I won't go on about it. I actually streamed a playthrough of your hack live, although I no longer have the recordings. Maybe I'll do another playthrough in the week. Let me know if you'd be interested in watching.

I will write another short post answering your questions after this one, as it's getting long already!

Erock - I certainly am a die hard fan! I think I may have been misleading when I said I have puzzle designs. What I meant is I have designed lots of puzzles within the original game, which other people try to solve within a race setting. We have made a lot of puzzles as a community, myself making most, a list can be found here:

http://pastebin.com/UYHrG032

They all generally assume knowledge of tricks and glitches possible within the original version of the game. The older ones are fairly easy, but they step up in difficulty quite quickly, especially the ones from 2015 and 2016. For example, they exploit glitches such as overworld clipping (DMD being one of the oldest clips, there are far newer clips and they can be used in a multitude of places), YBA (Yuzuhara bottle adventure - a glitch which if you use a potion on the same frame as a door transition has various effects, and in certain locations can wrap you from one dungeon to another). They are a combination of logic solving, knowledge of the game, and executing tricks and glitches.

I understand your point about the spikes, but they become tiresome quickly is all I meant. I'm looking forward to the new puzzles/challenges that await in Conker though!

I absolutely love it when the game is hard and challenging (difficult puzzles, hard enemy/boss fights, tough logic to solve) but the important thing for me is that it's always fair to the player, and of course not infuriating and time-consuming if you fail (like when you go through a door and it locks behind you forcing you to do another loop of the dungeon, when your choice of going through the door was based on pot luck; or falling through holes which send you back 10 rooms).

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 18:41 by Floki

Alright then you're in as well!

As said previously, the beta testing phase should be starting around october.

Be as critical as you were to IntimFuchtler!!

We want everybody to enjoy this, even though not everyone will like the spoof nature of the hack... being that it's more like a total conversion into something else but it still retains some elements that make a Zelda game good.

^^Wait and see.

I did tried the alttp randomizer and it was bugged out, the 1st version to say the least but it's an interesting concept, a reminder of what was diablo 1 all about!

Totally new every game! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:08 by Floki

Yeah I actually remember superskuj for stuff like this:

^^I wonder how long it would take him to finish my hack lol

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:13 by ChristosOwen

IntimFuchtler wrote:

0. This shouldn't happen...

This is just due to all the character text being scrambled. It seems to have an additional side effect if the NPC dialogue involves rupees. Try speaking to one of the chest gambling games, or the wishing fountain, or King Zora. You should see what I mean.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

1.  This should be hopefully fixed with my last patch. If there are still bugs, please let me know.

Great, good to know. I'll probably do another playthrough and will let you know. Can you give a link to the latest version at all?

IntimFuchtler wrote:

2. Hmm, never encountered this. Could provide me a Screenshot? I tested this just now with 0.96 and it works fine.

Perhaps take a look at v0.95. It was fine in v0.90. I know other people ran into the same issue on v0.95 though. Here's a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/zQG4Gij.png

IntimFuchtler wrote:

3. Also the first time I hear this. Also tried this just now with 0.96 and it worked fine? I dunno what's wrong there.

Here's what I mean:

https://i.imgur.com/f6ulkbW.png

One thing that happened in my playthrough of this dungeon, is I fell through a hole in the floor above very close to Kholdstare near the beginning of my play of the dungeon. This activated the boss music even after I fell to the floor below, and persisted in every room I went into after that, until I used the Mirror. Now when I enter the boss room the boss music doesn't play. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. Or whether killing the Kholdstare in Ice Rod cave and getting a heart from him effects it. I think neither did effect it, and are small issues in their own right. I think there's just something wrong with that ledge/platform?

IntimFuchtler wrote:

4. In this case maybe the minibosspatch for rooms 256+ don't work correctly? Cause' this shouldn't happen. I have to look into this. Otherwise I just remove a few heart container pieces (in my final testruns he didn't dropped anything?).

I would definitely take a look at this. Maybe it has something to do with the order I did things? Can't think of any other reason. If possible I would keep all the heart pieces you have, and fix this fight so no heart drops.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

5. They should be fixed by now. If there are any left just show me^^

I can't remember exactly now. I will see if it happens in my next playthrough. I remember one was in Ganon's Tower in the room which has a Big Key door in the top right corner, and you have to light 4 torches quickly to spawn a chest on the platform by the door. When you go to hookshot to the upper torches (from a platform with a spark thing moving around) depending on your position you sometimes clip into the wall and enter EG.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

6. I know, but I hadn't had the time to look into this (it's more complicated than it looks, conn already tried to fix this), my final exam comes up next so I'am quite busy and/or lazy at times.

No problem. Looks like it was an issue with original alttp coding. I never noticed there are no rooms in alttp with pipes AND the possibility of falling in holes. Interesting! I guess no point fixing it really, it's not a game-breaking glitch.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

7. It's a wonder that level 5 is working fine besides this. The water header Tag is quite buggy. I tried to do my best to fix this dungeon, but as it looks there are a few stairs left that produce this bug (sometimes they do and sometimes not??).

It happened to me every time I used this staircase. It was the one near the warp tile on the left side. Again, I'll have to do another playthrough to remember exactly.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

1. Thats not a problem. You need the Hookshot in Pendant 2, so this is quite useless.

Yes this is true! Just wanted to point it out. I used a few bomb jumps in rooms in some dungeons (mostly in rooms with invisible floors or small walkways) to do some shortcuts/small sequence breaks. It's something to bear in mind with dungeon design! Bomb jumps can get you over holds 2 tiles wide, boot bonking of 3 tiles!

IntimFuchtler wrote:

2. At some point I wanted to let the player choose which dungeon they do next, although many dungeons need a specific item. If the player is eager enough to break into level 6 early, I thought they should be rewarded with the possibility to get the lv 3 sword erlay (although some of the dungeons get a bit too easy with it, maybe I should remove the possibility to do so?).

Completely your choice. I just wanted to let you know it was possible.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

3. Could you send me a screenshot please where you did this?

I don't remember exactly, and it would take me a long time to find it within the dungeon again. I will try to explain it better. There is a crystal switch which is protected by 3 or 4 blocks. You can't hit the switch from above with bombs because the blast doesn't reach it. However if you throw the bomb on the left hand side of the blocks, the blast JUST reaches the crystal. You then drop down a hole to where Blue Mail is, or somewhere nearby, can't remember exactly.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

Level 5 is also one of my favourites, beside Level 2 and 4 and Hyrule Castle.
Level 7 was a hell to plan. In the end it did turn out not as good as I hoped. I agree that there are too many holes to fall down. When I ever got the time I should redo the whole dungeon.

Yes D2 and hyrule castle were both great too actually. The castle was very fun. Maybe you don't have to redo the whole dungeon 7, just changing some bits or maybe removing a floor or something would make it easier to comprehend. Up to you.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

Level 8 should be a hard challenge where you need to use most of your items.
My goal was that the player needs to use potions at least once if he/she isn't a super player or something like that. The room with the cannonballs was in my original version much harder, good I removed some of ther other obstacles. But with the cane of byrna it's not that hard anymore. Also you can use a red rockclops to damage boost acroos one of the pits. The final floors should be rewarding for the players who get the red mail and not skiped it. But some rooms could be tuned down a bit... And the last challenge is a bit cheap, I know Laughing
First time players a likely to fall down right before the final key.
With the spike maze, the truth is, I got a bit uninspired towards the end, so the final dungeon didn't have that much good puzzles than the others.

I think the dungeon is okay besides a few rooms. The last bit where there is a wallmaster and you can fall back through holes which sets you back 10 rooms etc. The last 4 rooms are really cheapy in my opinion, especially the last one where you have to go quick. The ice room with cannonballs I don't like because it basically forces you to use cape/bryna, which I hate using. I usually try to do all the hacks with minimal equipment and never use bottles/powder/extra hearts/cane/cape when I can avoid it. It makes things challenging and fun! I think just remove some or all of the ice and then this room is fine. The hidden spike maze was frustrating as I said before, but that could just be my preference. I really don't like things hidden from view, it feels cheap to me. Lastly, there was one room with like 4 eye lazers and you have to go down a narrow path where one is above and below you, and then another path where one is on your left and on your right. This room is basically impossible to get through without cane/cape (I used hookshot for the invincibility frames), so maybe adjust this one too. Overall it succeeded in your "hard and challenging" final dungeon though, you shouldn't be displeased with it.

IntimFuchtler wrote:

As for the Boss Rush, Arrghus isn't working properly and Blind can't be added twice without asm I believe. But glad you enjoyed it^^

These are minor things, it was a fantastic finish to the game!

IntimFuchtler wrote:

I thought I didn't used that much Beamos Statues in my Hack? (only pendant 2, the bonus light world dungeon and Level 8 have them). As for the spikes, in the later parts of the game they are seen more often, thats true. I should come up with other things in my next hack to increase difficulty. Also there aren't that many dark rooms. The darkest dungeon is probably Level 3.

I should have been more specific, I didn't mean your hack when I said these things, I should have written those points somewhere else. As I said, I think yours was well balanced in this respect, nice job!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:21 by ChristosOwen

Jaqen H'ghar wrote:Yeah I actually remember superskuj for stuff like this:

Oh it's fantastic you know about this! I speak to Andy and Skuj regularly and speedrun the game with them too. Skuj is the one who patched Kiki back into Intim's hack for me so I could continue hehe. Consider me another Skuj basically (except he is much more knowledgable about the coding side and has a huge knowledge of glitches within the original, a little better than me - he also had/has a much more stylish beard).

As I said if anyone would be interested in getting involved in any of the "speedrunning community" side of things, racing, speedruns, puzzles, randomizer, smaller hacking projects, hanging in Discord and chatting with fellow alttp nerds, just let me know and happy to invite you over! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:25 by Floki

Maybe once I'm done with my hack, I'll get more involved with speedrunners!

In the meantime I'm rather busy with finishing my monologue, my overworld, my dungeons and having a hard time catching up with everything else like the msu-1 and all the asm things still needing to be implemented.

But it will be well worth the wait.

That's all I can promise.

An whole new experience to Zelda 3 awaits to be playtested!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:38 by ChristosOwen

It sounds amazing, I can't wait to play the final (or near final) version! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 19:43 by Floki

Here's a small ten minutes preview (can't do much more than 10 minutes due to my ''Icecream Screen Recorder'' being unregistered)!

^^Should give you guys a good overview of what it's all about!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 20:04 by superskuj

Jaqen H'ghar wrote:Yeah I actually remember superskuj for stuff like this:

Do I have to stay in bounds Razz

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 20:16 by Floki

Hopefully! For your 1st playthough at least if you're interested in beta testing as well!

But you can also try out your glitches if wanted, I'm not going to stop you!

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next