Chrono Trigger MSU-1

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Empty Chrono Trigger MSU-1

Post by Rahzadan Sat 20 Jun 2015 - 11:36

Admin Edit:
This thread is still getting a fair amount of traffic and is causing confusion for some users because of the multiple versions of both the hack and the music conversion script available.  See this post for more information about the different versions, and see the project page for download links. Hope this helps with any confusion.

-qwertymodo

==================
(Original post)

I know DarkShock released a WIP of his Chrono Trigger MSU-1 patch, but I haven't been able to find a compiled .ips version with manifest.bml and a doc explaining which pcm track is which song.

Does anyone have a compiled .ips version (preferrably with a manifest.bml and an .ips with the volume lowered for bsnes)?

Thanks in advance!
Rahzadan
Rahzadan
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2015-04-05

Back to top Go down

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Empty Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1

Post by kurrono Sat 20 Jun 2015 - 13:53

You can patch the .asm file with asar 1.36 to the rom
kurrono
kurrono

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKool Sat 20 Jun 2015 - 16:53

i think Darkshock is busy be patient Wink

HappyKool
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2015-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Sat 20 Jun 2015 - 17:00

Yes he is..I'm waiting for actraiser from him..I got to wait too..if I know how to do ask..I'll hack games too..for now ..I wish..so wait is the answer
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by Rahzadan Sun 21 Jun 2015 - 0:27

kurrono wrote:You can patch the .asm file with asar 1.36 to the rom

That's all well and good, but I still don't know what track numbers are what for the manifest.bml.
Rahzadan
Rahzadan
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2015-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Sun 21 Jun 2015 - 2:04

there is no manifest.bml.. in chrono trigger files.. only the xml and that's for bsnes.70...all the songsa are in create_pcm.bat file..there 80 pcms there.

=====================
= Creating the .pcm =
=====================
First get Chrono Symphony album in FLAC format (http://www.thechronosymphony.com/). Extract them all to a folder.
Run decode_flac to convert FLAC files to WAV files
Use create_pcm.bat to create the .pcm from WAV files.

i guess u have to create manifest.bml..it's not on the files... u
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 21 Jun 2015 - 6:09

creating a manifest is simple, here's for f-zero. Make it the same way for chrono trigger. Import the game in higan
- go into the folder  %USERPROFILE%\Emulation\Super Famicom\f-zero_msu1.sfc in Windows Explorer and open existing manifest.bml in a text editor

These lines are automatically created by higan. This is for f-zero, the code for chrone trigger looks of course different. Keep the lines:
Code:

unverified

cartridge region=NTSC
  rom name=program.rom size=0x80000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x800
  map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000
  map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-ffff

Then add these lines below:
Code:

msu1
    rom name=f-zero_msu1.msu size=0x0000
    map id=io address=00-3f,80-bf:2000-2007

Ususally higan plays track-1.pcm as theme one track-2.pcm as two and so on. You need to rename them into this default format. Alternatively, as I did in f-zero you can addressed the name as well in the manifest.bml to play the same files as sd2snes and bsnes do:

Code:

track number=1 name=f-zero_msu1-1.pcm
    track number=2 name=f-zero_msu1-2.pcm
    track number=3 name=f-zero_msu1-3.pcm
    track number=4 name=f-zero_msu1-4.pcm
    track number=5 name=f-zero_msu1-5.pcm

If it doesn't work you need to check whether you have some spaces or whatever. Unfortunately higan (or bml) is very strict with the syntax.
Conn
Conn

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Sun 21 Jun 2015 - 10:53

There is no IPS patch because the patch is not ready yet for public consumption.

Right now I'm "editing" the music to loop, in fact I'm writing a batch file that uses SOX to trim and boost the volume of the songs decoded from the FLAC. Unlike Super Metroid, Blake Robinson can't let me distribute the pack because of a license deal with Square Enix.

After music editing, I will rewrite the fade system and fix all the bugs.
DarkShock
DarkShock

Since : 2014-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Fri 26 Jun 2015 - 18:29

Hey guys, don't forget to check out this thread:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12700

Ramsis (another MSU-1 rom hacker badass) managed to reimplement the PSX opening of CT to the SNES rom =D
Colines
Colines

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 26 Jun 2015 - 20:07

Thanks for the news, is it based upon DarkShock's patch?
Edit: no, seems like he created his own version, makes me wonder why people make redundant work and concurring instead of helping each other.

Yes, I hope that my zelda fmv implementation would also inspire more hacks here as well.
To date the video is only featured in ALTTP, and bszelda (video finished but the voice actors need some more time - Erock, when's your next time-off? I think/hope we can start with bszelda1 in 2 weeks, thereafter we need the AST stuff and your records must also be filtered by TheRetromancer from background rustlings before we can merge them).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sun 28 Jun 2015 - 22:35

Conn wrote:seems like he created his own version, makes me wonder why people make redundant work and concurring instead of helping each other.

I believe he wasn't aware of the CD patch by DS, but that doesn't matter anyway, I myself was capable to merge both the patches and ended up with the two working just fine in here, video and orchestrated soundtrack Wink

Also, since the CD patch is outdated, it's good the video patch is a stand-alone addon, so when DS finishes it, the video patch can be easily merged again and ready for the public Very Happy
Colines
Colines

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 9:33

Conn wrote:Thanks for the news, is it based upon DarkShock's patch?
Edit: no, seems like he created his own version, makes me wonder why people make redundant work and concurring instead of helping each other.

It is based on the older proof-of-concept using a older version of the MSU-1 when it was called 21XX.

Also this only add video for the attract mode, for the patch to be complete it would all videos from the PS1 version.
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 10:16

Yes, I made some thoughts about splitting up a video. It's theoretically possible since the msu video gets a counter in the X-register (at least in Ikari Player). So technically you can make a msu video with all cutscreens merged and jump to and from the video with specific X-register values. Problematic is that the vram and hardware registers get overwritten. So this will be a lot! of tinkering.

The player used by Ramsis appear to have some flaws (he states that the the screen jiggles in the german thread:
http://www.snesfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=14520
No wonder, the snes hardware is limited. The larger the fmv screen is, the lower the fps. For this reason I use Ikari player, Ramsis uses 21fx or something.

Anyways, I'll point Ramsis to this thread. It would be complete madness if he and DS make this effort parallel and twice. Maybe there's the chance of team work?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramsis Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 15:43

Hi everybody!

Colines wrote:Ramsis (another MSU-1 rom hacker badass) managed to reimplement the PSX opening of CT to the SNES rom =D
Thanks (although most of he credit should go to smkdan). Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Smilie

Colines wrote:I believe he wasn't aware of the CD patch by DS
That's true. And yes, I simply "ported" smkdan's ancient 21fx patch to MSU1 by disassembling and reworking his code. I didn't know that somebody else was working on MSU1 enhancements for CT at that time, so I must admit I'm totally confused about all that hostile "redundant work", "concurring instead of helping each other", and "madness" talk. Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Smilie

To conclude, I have zero capacity to work on CT at the current time, so please feel free to do that on your own. You're even welcome (and supposed) to use the source files included within the package I released.

Thanks!
Ramsis
Ramsis
Ramsis
Newcomer

Since : 2015-06-29

http://manuloewe.de/

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 16:13

Hi and welcome to these forums. It's too bad you have zero capacities to work further with CT.
Anyways, currently I know of only 5 msu1 hackers, that would be you, Mattrizzle, DS, LuigiBlood and me. It would be in any case reasonable for anybody to check whether a patch already is released (DS and I usually release on romhacking.net, here and on git). Also google and youtube search may help.

What is missing is a global platform with all msu-hacks released, maybe romhacking.net would be the best place for this.
I also released some lists, e.g., here
https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff
but as you see it gets outdated pretty fast (secret of mana, f-zero are missing e.g,)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Wed 1 Jul 2015 - 11:31

I have good news, music editing is now complete ! Still no IPS patch because the hack is still quite buggy.

For those who like the bleeding edge, I submitted the changes to the Github: https://github.com/mlarouche/ChronoTrigger-MSU1

Run make_music_pack.bat to create the music pack, you will need flac.exe and SoX installed in your PATH (http://sox.sourceforge.net/)
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 10:01

I finally took some time to work on the Chrono Trigger hack !

Look at the commmit log of this weekend:
Chrono Trigger MSU-1 M6ChHDR

With this, all the major issues has been fixed and right now I'm doing another playthrough, and so far I've noticed mostly music editing issue that can be resolved easily.

If I don't find any major issue after this playthrough, the patch should be out soon !
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 11:31

damn DS that took awhile..to get chrono trigger fixed u the man.. great job!! master of msu-1
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Sun 6 Sep 2015 - 12:20

Well a video i like to share chrono trigger with intro video with ur msu1 patch DS...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3FQV-t8qw
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Sat 19 Sep 2015 - 9:41

Like Melchior said: "Sorry to keep you waiting." The patch is finally released !! I got tired of waiting for romhacking queue so I decided to release it myself.

Here's the trailer for it

The patch is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/?6qsyi0tc18sizjv

And you have to buy (yes BUY) the 3 Chrono Symphony album here in FLAC format: https://loudr.fm/release/chrono-trigger-symphony-vol-1/BFe5n

Enjoy fellas Smile
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 19 Sep 2015 - 10:50

Awesome Very Happy

I updated the entry in the msu1 database:
https://www.zeldix.net/t808-chrono-trigger#8894
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero_of_the_Day Sun 20 Sep 2015 - 16:40

I was having a bit of trouble getting this up and running, thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into issues.

When running the make_music_pack I was first getting a "zlib1.dll" is missing error. After I got that sorted, I was getting "inflateReset2 could not be located in dynamic link library libpng16-16.dll" So, the easy solution to both problems for me was to use the link in the readme to download SOX, just dropped it all into the ChronoTrigger_MSU1 folder and restarted the whole process. Went through without an issue.

One other random user error tip, keep the FLAC files in their separate folders. I was dropping all the individual flac files into the folder, which doesn't work.

Any way. Thanks for all your hard work, DarkShock. This will be my first time actually playing this game on actual SNES hardware as opposed to emulators and DS.
Hero_of_the_Day
Hero_of_the_Day
Newcomer

Since : 2015-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Sun 20 Sep 2015 - 21:05

To get it work u have to on control panel and add .bat that is unknown to. Cmd or command.Itgave hard time and i re-edited some bat files too..to make it work...
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by kmksoulja Sun 27 Sep 2015 - 19:57

ok i got the 3 albums in flac format. I put them all into a seperate folder.. now i keep getting this error whenever I try to run make_muic_pack.bat

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 Untitled-1_zps0cnmsebt

help please?

kmksoulja
Newcomer

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Sun 27 Sep 2015 - 20:59

Damn right I had that problem.... yes indeed..but I already got my chrono trigger working even with that fmv video as chrono_msu1.msu and chrono_msu1-0.pcm as audio..

Then to fix that problem you got to go to Control Panel, Default programs, then Associate a file type or protocol with a program..

Then find .bat that is for unknown application.. I changed to command or cmd...
I restarted the pc and try compile the flac audio again..
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next