Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Empty Re: Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Post by Conn Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 4:46

I see, I added it to the CT thread as own section:
https://www.zeldix.net/t808-chrono-trigger#8894

Hope qwerty is ok with this differentiation Wink
Conn
Conn

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Empty Re: Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Post by Shadowrun Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 10:33

I have a question about this post . Sorry in advance if it's a stupid question, but I'm only a "user" of those MSU1 mods ...Woot!!

This post was started in 2016 and we had many revision of the sd2SNES motherboard in order to improve the audio part...
If someone has now a Sd2snes PRO, do we still need to re download those "fixed" musics ? Ohmygod
Shadowrun
Shadowrun
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2018-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 13:18

Shadowrun wrote:… If someone has now a Sd2snes PRO, do we still need to re download those "fixed" musics ? Ohmygod

@Shadowrun If you have an original sd2snes (with micro-SD) or sd2snesPro, then any PCM music pack adjusted between -20db through -25db will be ok for these revision of flash carts. So, yes, in essence, you will need to re-download the fixed music packs as they are adjusted for optimum volume for use on emulators and the fixed sd2snes revJ [with microSD] and sd2snesPro. In the end, it all depends on your own ears. If you like the volume you have now, leave it as is. If not, check out the fixed ones and compare and choose what is best for you.

The only way the older sd2snes revisions's low audio issue can be fixed is by installing the Borti-mod amp board (or going hard core by doing it yourself, like Qwerty did). Both methods involve removing components from the board to accommodate the amp circuit. This is a pain to do if you do not have the right de-solder/solder tools.

I hope this helps. Anyone else chime in if I left something else out or wrong with this explanation.

pev

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowrun Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 15:38

ok, thanks , it helps ! Very Happy

I first started with a SD2SNES (E1b...) and then I sold it and changed for a more recent one.... and the difference was really there !!
Shadowrun
Shadowrun
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 17:09

Shadowrun wrote:I have a question about this post . Sorry in advance if it's a stupid question, but I'm only a "user" of those MSU1 mods ...Woot!!

This post was started in 2016 and we had many revision of the sd2SNES motherboard in order to improve the audio part...
If someone has now a Sd2snes PRO, do we still need to re download those "fixed" musics ? Ohmygod
Basically, the old SD2SNES carts had a hardware error that resulted in the PCMs playing much quieter than they should have, so people made PCM packs with the volume normalized much higher than it should have been (or they made 2 PCM packs, one for SD2SNES, the other for emulation; they were often normalized so loud that audio distortion and clipping happened). The thing was emulators were playing the music at the correct volume, so if you used a PCM pack made for SD2SNES, it would be massively too loud in an emulator.

Around rev 7 or 8 of the SD2SNES cart, they finally managed to fix the issue, and they eventually came out with a firmware update that fixed the issue on the older SD2SNES carts (gotta love software fixes to hardware problems, lol; and I'm guessing your older SD2SNES cart never got that firmware update applied), making the louder PCM packs completely obsolete. Problem was most of the audio packs out there had been made with the too loud audio, so they needed to be fixed.

This thread came about when Qwerty finally got fed up enough with the situation to go around and fix them all himself. Very Happy

The important thing to note, volume-wise, when grabbing a PCM pack is that while playing the game you should be able to clearly hear both the music and the sound effects (example, you still want to hear the SFX that plays in mega man when you fire a shot), you don't want one to be massively louder than the other. PCM packs need to have their volume adjusted to be at the same level as the SFX in the game plays, which is why every game has the PCM packs normalized to a different dB level. Once the PCM and SFX are at the same level, you can simply adjust the volume on your TV/PC to get to the desired level for comfortable playing.

Long story short, the PCM packs in this thread are the correct ones you need.

edale

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 17:54

I think we already replaced all wrong adjusted pcm sets a while ago. The last I remember were those from ds megaman. So with the correct firmware all should be fine.
Conn
Conn

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 11 Sep 2019 - 22:06

@ToAll, About how many Revs has the Sd2SNES had so far? I ask because I do not know to much about it. I understand its not cheap to get one, I had looked that up when I was looking at the N64 version. Besides MSU1 games, What else does the sd2snes do?
Polargames
Polargames

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 9 Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowrun Thu 12 Sep 2019 - 3:52

I'm not working for the company in charge of the production of SD2SNES.. but I found this :
https://www.retrorgb.com/sd2snes.html

I heard about the revision J..
If you check on stoneagegamer.com, this store also talks about SD2SNES, up to.... K !
so I guess you had revisions from A to K for the "classic" SD2SNES. (my first SD2SNES had revision number E1b ??!! ).

And then the new SD2SNES Pro.
There was a revision for the PRO so the "last" version for the PRO is revision B.....

Confused Sad

other functions ? .. well one very practical function is : Automatic near-time SRAM saving to SD Card.
Shadowrun
Shadowrun
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9