Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Empty Re: Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Post by Conn Mon 25 Sep 2017 - 16:03

Yay! Qwertymode FTW! Thanks so much Very Happy

For the old-fashioned bsnes players, people who do not know how to handle msu1 extensions with mercurial magic, and most important: sd2snes players, I also extracted your files, renamed them to dkc_msu-*.pcm and uploaded them on my drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B68bmgtrAXQAT0t4TEJjSXN1c0E
Only small change I made is using the 11th theme (rare logo) from PittStone (I really love the ape sound there Razz )

The release ball is now at PittStone to gather his remaining pcm:s, then I post it in the database. I will also post all your *.msu1 formats there then, which may come (v.1.1, europe, etc).

PS: spent half an hour in winky's walkway, thanks for following my request Razz (Conn)
Conn
Conn

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Empty Re: Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Post by PittStone Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 13:19

Chill Out is finished. I did my best.  Spin
Download in my first post.
PittStone
PittStone

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Image110

Since : 2017-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 19:14

Awesome! Smile

I already posted this patch in the database now:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1484-donkey-kong-country-1#21731

As soon your Jazz and Cool mix are out of beta as well, let me know and I will give it a larger cover art and edit the "beta" in this post.

I hope the way I posted it is ok with all who helped on this project - thanks again for your support! Very Happy

I think it is necessary to provide next to the mercurial magic *.msu1 package by qwertymodo also the transformed pcm set, since sd2snes users and bsnes users will do hard making the *.msu1 compatible (renaming the *.msu1 to *.zip, renaming all track-*.pcm -> gamename-x.pcm). I know that msu1 pack should be the new standard but due to this reason, I rather provide both.
Only as suggestion...: maybe it might be a good idea to also provide an alternative zipped pcm package for the smk wii (here is only the *.msu1 package available)?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 7:41

Oh my... I found a stupid bug in my code:

msuReady:
pha
lda $0610
and #$00ff
cmp #$0001
beq $07
end:
pla
sep #$20
lda $4210
rtl
php
sep #$30
bit $2000
bvs end    ; track not ready
STZ $0610  ; clear msu busy flag
LDA $0612
tax
lda #$FF   ; lautstärke
sta $2006
lda $fbfa00,x ;load loop value
sta $2007  ; also wenn ein theme endlos looped dann mach hier eine 03 auf 2007
plp
bra end

So here, if track is not ready it will get a stack error, because the php is not cleared with plp.

The fix:

msuReady:
pha
lda $0610
and #$00ff
cmp #$0001
beq $07
end:
pla
sep #$20
lda $4210
rtl
php
sep #$30
bit $2000
bvs endx    ; track noch nicht bereit
STZ $0610  ; clear msu busy flag
LDA $0612
tax
lda #$FF   ; lautstärke
sta $2006
lda $fbfa00,x ;load loop value
sta $2007  ; also wenn ein theme endlos looped dann mach hier eine 03 auf 2007
endx:
plp
bra end

The reason why nobody noticed is that this bug will only take effect (crash the rom) on real hardware. On emulators the track is immediately ready. I do not know whether you find it important enough to fix it in your bps file, qwerty.
I fixed all my patch files:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/dkc_msu.zip

Really sorry for this Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 12:57

Thanks for the fix, uploading the new pack now. That's probably the only annoying part about .msu1 packs, re-uploading the entire thing for updates. Other than that, I've been really happy with them. Honestly, I think at this point I'm going to switch over to only uploading .msu1 packs. Auto-loading with Snes9x is just so convenient. All I need now is to add this feature so I can hot-patch against ROM hacks, and it'll be perfect Smile

I still need to post a user guide for Mecurial Magic though...
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 15:38

Yes, I think when it comes along with a good tutorial people will favour it.
There might be some stuff to improve, like the program does not recognize smc, and bsnes xml support would be nice (if possible).

I also cannot test the sd2snes export (I simply have none), but xml support might be also something to add in the future (but I have serious doubts that adding bml and xml is required. People will use snes9x more and more over bsnes and higan, as it is the easiest way to date).
During the transition time however, I still favour to support all systems, xml, bml, pcm zip packs and the msu1 format. Let's see what the future brings Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by BillyJo Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 17:48

i have tried Mercurial with SD2SNES and work very well
( i try it with Super Metroid Pack)
i think its a good think to have a standard !

BillyJo
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2017-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 17:58

The thing is, manifests aren't actually required for bsnes OR higan. Revenant figured it out just takes 6 lines of code to get it to auto-detect MSU-1. We just need to get other forks to add those 6 lines and xml can be officially dead. And higan has always supported it without bml, you just need to use specific file names (the same file names as the .msu1 pack, so really all you have to do is extract the pack without renaming anything and it will work with no manifests). Byuu always intended manifests to be a behind-the-scenes thing that the users never had to deal with. The only reason we ever had to use them was because everybody wanted to use the SD2SNES file names instead. Because of this, hex_usr explicitly chose not to support xml output, it's a lot of extra work for him vs just getting forks copy 6 lines of code. Those 6 lines are the only thing standing in the way of never having to use manifests ever again, anywhere.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 20:14

That would be wonderful if one can convince byuu to add these 6 lines of code... also bsnes+ would be nice to have them (I use this emulator sometimes to debug stuff).
Any chance snes9x 1.56 gets a debug function?

Anyways, I got super castlevania 4 as well hacked, and sent the files to Kurrono to playtest, so maybe our factory will get its next product soon Wink

But at one time I keep my promise to *retire, Kurrono promised this to be his last request. It got quite simple for me to write a msu1 code down (2 hours maybe) - but that doesn't mean I have fun doing it Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JackMonty Fri 29 Sep 2017 - 8:21

Hi,

I can't seem to download the PCM files none of the posts seem to have links to download...

Is it because the files are not ready yet?

JackMonty
Bee
Bee

Since : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PittStone Fri 29 Sep 2017 - 10:49

To Download:
Click on the "big fat names":
Google Drive: Donkey Kong Dubstep Country

You must come to this Side:
Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Hppla210
than click on this Side to Download the pack:
Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Hoppla10
PittStone
PittStone

Back to top Go down

Post by JackMonty Fri 29 Sep 2017 - 13:23

Doh! The Google drive links weren't clickable until I signed in - thanks for the response and really nice music tracks.

JackMonty
Bee
Bee

Since : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 29 Sep 2017 - 14:25

I found a radio button in the admin panel with

Disable external links to guests in messages : yes/no
I put it to no, so you can see links in the posts now without needing to sign in!

Also I made the images to links, so you can directly click on the cover arts.

Thanks for pointing to that, I hope my changes help Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by PittStone Wed 4 Oct 2017 - 16:38

O.k. "Cool Mix" is Ready.
Download link on my first Post. Big Triforce
PittStone
PittStone

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 4 Oct 2017 - 16:59

Nice Smile I also updated the database
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by PittStone Sun 8 Oct 2017 - 12:39

"Jazz" is now Finished.
Download link on my first Post.
Also a Bonus Link to SNES-CD Covers.
PittStone
PittStone

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Oct 2017 - 13:11

Nice! I updated the database with the new link as well and would say this project is eventually closed Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 21 Oct 2017 - 5:28

An "interesting" thing about this patch, I read at youtube comments that some sfx are speeding up, like changing the character. I then tried a direct comparison (opened 2 snes9x emulators, one with msu, the other native spc and switched parallel) and noticed that all sfx are indeed a bit different.

But: most are somehow better and clearer imo alone the short sfx when getting a banana. I think this has to do with how I muted the spc (in the apu routine).

Since I find it better, I'd like to hear other opinions about it; if people consider it worse I may look for an alternative way to mute. Kurrono e.g., had an interesting finding in TG3 (disabling 2142 instead of 2140) which might work here as well (I'm only speculating, haven't tried).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by PittStone Tue 5 Dec 2017 - 16:00

Ein kleines Weihnachts Update. Razz

My Seventh Release for Donkey Kong Country Retro-Wave.

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Donkey10

Donkey Kong Country Retro-Wave
(Archiv: .pcm files & Cover-Art)
PittStone
PittStone

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 5 Dec 2017 - 17:47

Hej, still 3 weeks left to Christmas! Very Happy

Updated
https://www.zeldix.net/t1484-donkey-kong-country-1#21731
with the new set, thanks a lot!

Would be nice if you could make a small player to listen into all our various sets, so people do not need to download and test them all, like ArcadeTV did here (but only a preview with 3-4 themes played some seocnds each is enough for an impression):

Code:

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/playlists/362754912&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true"></iframe>
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by metallicat84 Mon 22 Jan 2018 - 14:11

Hey thanks for the upload I am very new to the msu1 scene I have a sd2snes and I'm trying to use this for dkc on there how to i make a folder for this and what all files do i need and what should be patched? Sorry for the noob question

metallicat84
Newcomer

Since : 2018-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 23 Jan 2018 - 10:48

I included a readme. Apply the ips on your dkc rom, rename the rom as described in the readme. Make a folder on your sd-card, copy all pcm:s and the msu file into it. That's it.

Maybe you should try with snes9x 1.55 first, this works the same way and require the same files. If it works there, just do the same with your sd2snes. If you have problems making new folders on your sd card, or other general problems how to run games on your sd2snes, this is the wrong forum for such questions.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by VideogameScrapbook Wed 24 Jan 2018 - 20:07

@Conn, would anybody who created any of the DKC series PCM tracks be willing to create a pack using BlueTronic's restoration of the original uncompressed samples? The casual listener may not notice right away the quality difference, but any big fan of the original game soundtracks will be blown away by the quality upgrade:
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2230

VideogameScrapbook
Rope
Rope

Since : 2014-11-12

http://www.VideogameScrapbook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 13:39

VideogameScrapbook wrote:@Conn, would anybody who created any of the DKC series PCM tracks be willing to create a pack using BlueTronic's restoration of the original uncompressed samples?

With the existing restored tracks or sequencing the samples to create tracks? If you were to use the existing tracks... it looks unfinished, and the sources are mp3's.
Relikk
Relikk

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 4 Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by VideogameScrapbook Fri 26 Jan 2018 - 20:05

Relikk wrote:With the existing restored tracks or sequencing the samples to create tracks? If you were to use the existing tracks... it looks unfinished, and the sources are mp3's.

Never mind my request for help, I'm getting the uncompressed sources and creating the PCMs. I will let people know when this "Restored Tracks" MSU pack is ready.

VideogameScrapbook
Rope
Rope

Since : 2014-11-12

http://www.VideogameScrapbook.com

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next