Code:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvXwQ7GFidfhjNc_NZMvMLbMNH1NcA?e=zAnoqa

Señor Ventura "Kurrono" PCM Pack fixed
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/wk55rnomohorxp55nfuy270xd3g8bx33

ArcadeTV PCM Pack:
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyk11u3nug80hx7/ArcadeTV_SGG_PCM.zip?dl=1

Last edited by Conn on Tue 6 Jun 2023 - 6:19; edited 32 times in total (Reason for editing : youtube video)
kurrono
kurrono

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts :: Comments

Conn

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 15:48 by Conn

I just got an idea. Leave your thunder 93 nevertheless in the pcm set, but add 49, you too atv.
I'm sure I can differ between whether the thunder is played in the intro or in stage2, I will adjust the asm probably tomorrow (no time today anymore), so that the thunder msu is only replaced in the intro but not in a stage.Wink

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 16:04 by kurrono

Take ur break Conn..tomorrow u'll figure it..out ur asm knowledge is beyond.limits...u got nice weapon to alter every game u,want heheh..i wish i had ur Skillz Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 17:06 by Conn

Yeah, found 10 minutes to code that:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/sgg_msu.zip

it should play theme 93 ($5d) now only in the intro, so stage 2 isn't affected anymore... (of course the dying sfx 49 ($31) is also featured

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 17:18 by kurrono

Really omg.. hahaha ur awesome Conn...i,said that 10,000 of times...Unbelievable Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 17:22 by Conn

Before my glorification, you ought test it first Razz

I used a unorthodox way to implement: The armor is the indicator whether your in a level or not in my code; its ram level is 00 in the intro, but always has a value for naked/silver/bronce/golden. That was in my short time I have the easiest way to determine. See whether it works (but it should be safe, I tested) Very Happy

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 17:46 by ArcadeTV

You, Sir Conn are one mighty demon, like Sardius,
so this is for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut2ksgo9ph8dgwt/syn_sardius_beat.wav?dl=1

Please use it whenever you enter a room, we shall all stand still and bow our heads to honor thee Wink

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 22:40 by ArcadeTV

My final pack is ready, I'm very happy Razz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyk11u3nug80hx7/ArcadeTV_SGG_PCM.zip?dl=1

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Chohco10

I created savestates all the way from the beginning to the good ending if anybody needs to test anything:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozsynhg6d9d7kz1/AAANQrdpOPqH5c0kWGuO-RJ6a?dl=0

Breakdance
I had one weird behaviour while testing:
I died in the Ghouls' Stomach level, then I chose continue from the menu... usually the select-fanfare is heared and the game continues - in my case ALL soundFX from here were gone. I attached a savestate to this post for investigation.

One LAST final question, before you retire, Conn Fingers crossed
Just to please my thirst for knowledge - what do you think is the cause of the graphic glitches in the restoration hack? Is it the expansion of the rom or the conversion to fastrom causing misaddressed reads?
Please don't look into the rom, just let me know what you think it might be so I can pass an idea to someone else.

We're done here!
Thanks guys, it was a blast!
Piece of Heart
Attachments
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Attachment
lostSFX-ghoulsStomach.zip savestateYou don't have permission to download attachments.(165 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 23:46 by kurrono

that's a question u need to ask the guys from Romhacking.net..they're the ones who did the restoration patch..maybe they can fix it for you..Conn didn't that patch he doesnt need to fix nothing there...his mission was the music..plus he did more than that on this game..some SFX too..

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 0:19 by kurrono

hey Conn i like that death.wav it feels the guy is falling from a cliff.. maybe somebody psuhed him hehe jk!! awesome

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 0:24 by Conn

I had one weird behaviour while testing:
I died in the Ghouls' Stomach level, then I chose continue from the menu... usually the select-fanfare is heared and the game continues - in my case ALL soundFX from here were gone. I attached a savestate to this post for investigation.
Hmm, strange... I'll check
Edit:
I was able to reproduce in the first level already (by dying at the first zombie), however, it appears to be random. I hope I find the trigger.
Edit2:
ok, I was able to make a savestate. if I make an own sfx (jumping) before dying, it will not occur, if I make no own sfx, it will appear. Seems to be related how I muted the sfx. This one is a tough bug I think, need further investigation
Edit3:
ok, I have a clue why it doesn't work. Will investigate later, real life's calling Wink

that's a question u need to ask the guys from Romhacking.net..they're the ones who did the restoration patch..maybe they can fix it for you..Conn didn't that patch he doesnt need to fix nothing there...his mission was the music..plus he did more than that on this game..some SFX too..
Seconded, it isn't my task to fix other peoples' buggy code. Already busy enough to fix my own bugs Cool

Last edited by Conn on Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 2:00; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 1:38 by kurrono

Hey Conn great work...intro has loud Storms and 2nd stage has distant storms makes sense...u,did Great there,bro!!!

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 2:41 by kurrono

Ok... my set is done..i hope this ends for the game..as Conn hoped..too..i gotta continue with my next hack

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 8:41 by Conn

Alright, I figured out the reason for the mute sfx bug, forgot a and #$1f in the asm. Otherwise the muted sfx ram address will point over $20 and this causes the bug.
It appeared random, because you have to die exactly when the sfx counter at death hits $1f, that made it hard to reproduce or casually stumble into it. Great that you found it!

New patch:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/sgg_msu.zip

We are done! (I guess...)

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 8:56 by ArcadeTV

Yes, we are!
Thank you so much... again.... and again!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 9:13 by Conn

Nothing to thank, rather I have to apology for having coded sloppy. Bug fixing is madatory for me... well, for the code I produced at least.
It's like a good boring lecture in software engineering in practice where they tell you that 5% work is generating a code and 95% is maintaining it Razz

Thanks for playtesting!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 15:42 by Conn

@ATV
regarding your bug report from the restoration, I think you speak about this:
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Sgg_ms11

For me it looks like that the code broke the sprite oam calculation:
DMA[0]: CPU->PPU Mode:0 0x7EF100->0x2104 Bytes:220 (inc) V:226 OBJADDR: 0000
At ram address 7ef100 you find the displaced tiles in the oam style of 4 bytes, means each 4 bytes represent one tile in this order:
1st byte: x-coordinate, 2nd byte: y-coordinate, 3rd byte: tile map, 4th byte: palette and mirror/flip information.
7ef104: e7 9f 01 20, means x:e7, y:9f, tile number: 01, palette 20. At 7ef108, the next tile info starts.

Looking at the above bug, it looks like the x value is wrong (height y as well as color and tile index seem to be ok). This could be caused by getting into an overflow for x, like FF+02=01, so the tile appears at the other end.

This is however speculative, and I might tell you complete bullshit. Maybe it helps tracing the bug nevertheless.

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 16:01 by kurrono

My ghouls n ghost is not restored i play the way it is..with the slowdown...u,want real restoration play Chou,makaimura ..jap,version of the game..they tried to resemble that..i guess they failed

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 16:02 by ArcadeTV

you are so krass Very Happy
1000 Dank so much!

That sure helps and seems logical!
Can't seem to be able to contact the author SCD about it so I will try to ask around.

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!

Back to top Go down

kurrono

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 16:26 by kurrono

Conn ...aint you starting ur vacations you still on this game .i thought you're done...i guess assembly is still on you ...bro... give me that knowledge to me...so,u can rest man

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 19:01 by Conn

mh, it's strange, I tried hard to trace what's wrong, and even compared the oam bytewise between the native and modified rom at the same breakpoint. The values are identical.

So I investigated further, made a savestate and used vsnes, here's an interesting finding:

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Image510

The blue circles are the mismatched tiles of the girl. As you can see the mismatch has the x-pos 184, the correct the x-pos 440... and 184+256(FF)= 440
But the oram x-position can only hold one byte, so the value is actually correct, it is "only drawn" into the wrong quadrant.
I have not a thorough technical knowledge where the quadrant is addressed.

Maybe I'll look into when I am bored, maybe you reach your guy and he's able to fix it himself.

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Tue 24 Oct 2017 - 19:08 by ArcadeTV

Conn, I realllllly need to buy you a beer!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 6:30 by Conn

I demand 2 beer Razz
...because I think I found out why it bugs:
change at 10/7083: 66 -> 54 and it should work Wink

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 6:43 by ArcadeTV

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

THAT is definitely worth much more than 2 beers! Very Happy

Man, please drop me a PM, I will make sure Santa is going to have something good for you this year!!!!

I don't know what 10/7083 means Woot!!
Is it $107083 ?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 6:52 by Conn

It's the way how I give addresses. Open the rom in a hex editor and navigate (ctrl+g to 0x107083).
You should find the value 66 here, change it to 54:

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Page 5 Image211
upper image native restoration rom with 66 highlighted in pink, lower rom, bug fix with 54 (also highlighted in pink). If you change it, it should work.

I do not know why the original author skipped these $12 bytes (which are re-enabled by this change), makes no sense - it is only called in the boot sequence. To be on the safe side though you may wish to ask him.

Back to top Go down

ArcadeTV

Post Wed 25 Oct 2017 - 6:56 by ArcadeTV

just a.w.e.s.o.m.e.!!!

I'll try it out immediately!

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next