Random Questions Pertaining to Zelda 3 Hacking

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Random Questions Pertaining to Zelda 3 Hacking

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:44

Having said that, I'm wondering if something could be done that's fairly similar to Con's ice rod mod where a water tile is replaced with an ice tile. Perhaps I could assemble a new bush tile other than tile 54, and when Link cuts or lifts it, a hole appears instead of a stump.  I've tried assembling a new bush tile to see what would happen, and it didn't work properly.  So I'm guessing the code is tied to tile 54.  So I'm wondering if it's possible to trace that code, insert a copy of it at the end of the rom, and modify it to work with a new bush tile that reveals a hole once the bush is cut or lifted.  Either way, this is something that can come later if it's possible.
Definitely doable. Maybe even without Conn's ice rod ASM. Basically you need to find the tile which get loaded under the bush when the bush is lifted. Once you find it, you can gfx change it into a hole and type-change it to falling-type.

With ice rod ASM it's also doable by manipulating the type to react on ice rod. I already made the adoptation where you freeze bushes with the ice rod. So its 1 byte which controls the type to react to: you change this from deep water type to bush type. Now you change the gfx of the ice tile into a pit looking one and in the final step you change the properties of the reloaded tile to pit-type instead of ice-type.

But the problem is this: where should you land when falling into the pit. You will always fall in Houlihan room. Only one overworld area can have damage-pits, while all cut bushes will produce a hole.
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Random Questions Pertaining to Zelda 3 Hacking

Post by Jeimuzu on Fri 23 Feb 2018 - 18:30

Puzzledude wrote:Definitely doable. Maybe even without Conn's ice rod ASM. Basically you need to find the tile which get loaded under the bush when the bush is lifted. Once you find it, you can gfx change it into a hole and type-change it to falling-type.

With ice rod ASM it's also doable by manipulating the type to react on ice rod. I already made the adoptation where you freeze bushes with the ice rod. So its 1 byte which controls the type to react to: you change this from deep water type to bush type. Now you change the gfx of the ice tile into a pit looking one and in the final step you change the properties of the reloaded tile to pit-type instead of ice-type.

But the problem is this: where should you land when falling into the pit. You will always fall in Houlihan room. Only one overworld area can have damage-pits, while all cut bushes will produce a hole.

Right.  If it must involve editing the stump tile (tile loaded under the bush) resulting in all bushes having holes under them, then it would be best to leave the holes exposed.  I guess it depends on how complicated it would be to write an ASM hack that would allow Area 81 to have both.  

If it isn't too difficult to trace the code that provides the instructions for the bush tile to be replaced with a stump, then perhaps a copy of that code could be inserted at the end of the rom and applied to a tile other than tile 54 (the bush tile).  For example, tile 3231 is part of the Master Sword pedestal which won't be in this hack.  So I'm wondering if that code could then be pointed to tile 3231 if I were to make it a second bush tile.  And the hole tile loads instead of the stump tile by changing a certain amount of bytes within the copied code.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ASM would only be required to tell the code which tile to point to.

Anyway, you may have already known what I was talking about the first time.  I just felt like I didn't explain it well enough. As always, I appreciate your input.
Jeimuzu

Since : 2015-10-01

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum