The Perfect Zelda 3

Go down

The Perfect Zelda 3 Empty The Perfect Zelda 3

Post by Farfromhere001 Fri 5 Feb 2021 - 19:27

I am not a hacker but a HUGE fan of LttP. I recently played Link to the Past Redux and it's GREAT... however there are some things I would change. What follows is a list of those things I'd change.

~~~*My Perfect Link to the Past*~~~

>Day & Night Cycle + In Game Clock: with different enemies at night, also the towns people are inside their houses. Include a few parts in the story where you must do something at night, such as enter a dungeon. Also consider adding weather such as rain, snow, etc. and perhaps even seasons!
>Fix Agahnim's sprite so it's easier to see his face (many players confuse his head/hat with his fair/hair). See link - https://www.deviantart.com/the-blue-pirate/art/The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-Agahnim-371132565
>Dark World Fast Travel Bird - make fast travel in the dark world possible, this likely wasn't done in the original game because they wanted you to do the Dark World dungeons in a specific order but this hack would focus on a more open world, thus you could also have a Dark World "bird" (or better a bat or something)
>Caps + Tunic & Belt- should match! Now the hat/cap is a different color than the tunic/mail, it should be the same color. Link`s belt is now brown.
>Add back unused content - Cannon Soldier, 1/4 Magic Upgrade, anything else that is unused that is "good".
>Add New Game+ "Master Quest". After you beat the game the first time you can play it again as a "Master Quest" with new dungeon layouts, harder enemies, etc., also a special item or "true" ending after beating the "Master Quest"
>New Shields - adding a new shield, possibly a wooden shield? Shields- lvl 1 shield = Deku Shield, lvl 2 shield = Hylian Shield (new sprite), lvl 3 shield = Mirror Shield (new sprite to look closer to Oot Shield, red boarder with silver in the middle, including the crescant if possible).
>Pot Breaking- Lvl 1 Sword CANNOT break pots but Lvl 2 and higher CAN break pots as well as the hammer and bombs.
>L & R buttons to switch items + new items sprites found in LttP Redux. However an improved layout changing Redux's current layout, ordered in most useful to least useful, or a better order than what redux currently has.
>Blade beam works differently, still only with Master sword and above. To use it, Equip the Book of Mudora and swing your blade, consumes Magic.
>Updated HUD (more like the newer games)
>Magic Meter Lvl 3 upgrade (unused content from Nintendo, they had a 1/4 magic upgrade). Possibly better if the magic meter extends in length when you get the upgrade or has a white outline around it or something. Instead of having "1/2" when your magic meter is upgraded simply make it longer or change the border. So in the beginning the bar is very short and then it gets longer with upgrades.
>Bridges at Death Mountain are fixed and fully functional in the light world.
>If you have no sword you punch them and stun them.
>Can upgrade Mitts/Gloves in the Fairy Fountain where you throw stuff in allow you to move blocks an unlimited amount of times with the Lvl 4 mitts.
>Rupee counter goes to 9999
>Golden Bee (name fixed) - special way to summon a golden bee (or 3)
>GBA Features - add all the GBA features such as learning the hurricane spin (but it MUST be made to look nicer or should not be added).
>After Effects - once you beat the game or certain dungeons the world changes, example being the zoras don't attack you anymore, etc.
>Ice Rod can freeze paths across water.
>Fire rod can burn and damage more things in the over world.
>Slingshot (lvl 1 bow) which does less damage is then upgraded into the bow and arrow.
>Bombs can be upgraded to the super bombs at the fairy. Doesn't follow behind you but is used like normal bombs.
>NO KEYS IN POTS, BAD DESIGN- certain dungeons have keys hidden inside pots, this is bad design as it makes you want to break every pot when you may want to save the hearts/magic inside the pots for later. Move the keys to another place (inside enemies?) or remove them and the locked door entirely.
>MORE UPGRADES - more items can be upgraded by throwing them in the fairy pool or waterfall of wishing. some of this is noted above.
>Pegasus Boots Upgrade - Lvl 1 is the standard boots found in the vanilla game, Lvl 2 (upgraded at waterfall of wishing) allowes you to turn while running like in Ancient Stone Tablets.
>Chris Houlihan Room - REPLACE WITH SOME OTHER UNUSED CONTENT OR SOMETHING, DONT NEED THIS ANYMORE! How about a room full of 100s of rupees, fairies, a chest with blue potion, etc.
>"Games Played" (which shows how many times you died) now says "Lives Lost" or something similar. Saving and quiting does NOT count, only when you actually die... however we should consider wether or not using a fairy should count as a death? Death counter no longer increments when selecting “Save and Quit”. ONLY counts as a death when you actually die. Falling down and being revived by a fairy does NOT count either.
>Kholdstare's Shell "Melting" - RESTORE THIS EFFECT - A close inspection of Kholdstare's logic indicates that its shell was intended to gradually fade out after being defeated with fire-based weapons. Normally, it just abruptly disappears several frames after being destroyed. The sudden disappearance of the shell is not aesthetically pleasing, so it's not surprising that this transitioning effect was implemented. Unfortunately, a coding bug accidentally disabled the effect. A fairly simple patch has been created to restore this effect, a link to which can be found above.
As for an explanation of how it was accidentally disabled, it turns out that the palette that was supposed to be manipulated to achieve the fadeout was not correctly invoked. Instead, a neighboring palette was selected for fading. Regrettably, there were no graphics visible in that scene that also used the palette being faded. Thus, this bug understandably slipped through play-testing due to a lack of obvious side effects, visual or otherwise. This bug is known to be present in all Super Famicom and SNES releases of the game, with the shell's fade effect restored in the GBA port.

>>>Other Possible Items (less likely)-
>New Zora sprites? To make them look like the ones from Ocarina of Time and something in the story as to why they're attacking you, after you do a certain event they stop attacking you. Also add the Goron's in the mountains? Perhaps this is too much.
>New Items? - Fire Rod is the Lamp upgraded. Ball & Chain is upgrade from hookshot. Boomerang has 3rd upgrade allowing you to control it and does more damage.
>Catch Fairie with empty bottle? Stuns enemies if you hit them with swinging bottle. Net replaced with other item?
>OoT + Majora's Mask - making some things, such as swords, shields, etc. line up with how they look in OoT.
>Hammer - new sprite for hammer and possibly new animation for link too, the hammer looks like crap.

~~~Includes the following hacks~~~

Link to the Past Redux (based on Link to the Past DX)
Zelda 3: Hyrule Explorer - makes the world more open and lets you do the dungeons in a more open order with minimal changes to the game.
Zelda 3 Max Consumables Fix - This patch modifies the Bomb and Arrow counters to allow a maximum of 99 for both. It also allows the fairy to properly refund your rupees when you toss over 100 into the pond and try to upgrade something that is already maxed out.
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Translation Improvement - CHECK THE TEXT AND MAKE SURE IT'S ALL GOOD

~~~LEGEND OF ZELDA- LTTP REDUX- PROBLEMS/ISSUES~~~

>Bombs won't go above 60, they should go to 99.
>Fairy in Dungeon 4 is blinking/transparent
>Make cap the same color as the tunic - currently cap is a different color
>Make compatible with Zelda 3: Hyrule Explorer; make it easier to do dungeons out of order with minimal changes to the game.
>Link's Hair- the color is still slightly off
>Change "priest" back to "wizard". The priest is the guy you see at the sancturary... it's less confusing to have them have different terms.
>Remove Star of David at Eastern Palace (doesn't fit into the canon of Zelda)
>Doesn't show the change to your magic meter when you get the 1/2 upgrade.

What would you change, add or remove from what I added above? Can anyone hep me make this happen?!

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Since : 2021-02-05

Back to top Go down

The Perfect Zelda 3 Empty Re: The Perfect Zelda 3

Post by Farfromhere001 Fri 5 Feb 2021 - 20:15

I realize this is a bunch of stuff, it's just my ideas I wrote out for fun but it would be amazing if I could get some feedback and if it's possible (i know it's a ton of work) I'd love to see this become reality. My goal is to make the perfect LttP experience. I don't want to change the base game too much but would like to open the world up a bit more as well as lining some things up with later games, etc.

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfcat Sat 6 Feb 2021 - 3:47

I am going to be honest, I have no idea what I would change or not change about alttp. I have always been amazed at what the alttp hacks people have done.

That being said:
>Remove Star of David at Eastern Palace (doesn't fit into the canon of Zelda)
I am not sure about this one. I am not sure about what Star of David, where?, but the Trinforce symbol is also made of triangles, but it does make me think of the whole upside down dark pyramid symbol which represents the Earth and Water elements and the right side up light pyramid represents the Fire and Air elements. There was even talk of a pyramid that is hidden under ground that is upside down. The star of David represents those they say, and Solomon used to serve both false gods and the one true god at different times. I never read or heard what happened with him exactly, I am just saying which is why there are so many statues that aren't supposed to be in the temples of god, because it was a law of god that no one is supposed to make carved images to worship, yet people still do that which includes the cross. Then Zelda also has the all seeing eye of Ra and or Horus. So does it belong?, I think it was for fun that they put that in their Zelda games to make people think and be in awe.

The Star of David also looks like the Triforce upside down and right side up with spacing between both of coarse. Dark world, Light world.

also if a mirror shield is added it could be made to reflect the lasers that shoot from the laser eye enemies.
I am referring to this:
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Laser_Eye

but this could be added as well I guess:
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Beamos

and of coarse the mirror shield could be so that it has to be in the right position to reflect laser shots for protect or for protection and puzzles.

Last edited by Wolfcat on Sat 6 Feb 2021 - 22:21; edited 4 times in total

Wolfcat
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2016-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 6 Feb 2021 - 8:24

Well, I know how the game works, so I can tell you from a hacker's perspective, what is doable and what not:

-Day & Night Cycle + In Game Clock:
doable, already done on Parallel Worlds and ALTTP

-with different enemies at night
not happening, game is already at full capacity: different sprites in beginning, part1 and part2. You can not just add night to this: night when: part1, part2 etc. There would be a difference between night part1 and night part2

-Include a few parts where you must do something at night
-Also consider adding weather such as rain, snow, etc.
-and perhaps even seasons!
not happening, this would way too much ASM to load different overlays. Overlays are a horror as it is, we usually turn this thing off

-Fix Agahnim's sprite so it's easier to see his face
doable, minor gfx edit, not really worth it, since nobody would notice, or would they

-Dark World Fast Travel Bird
four bytes edit, however this will be bugged, since the game will think you are in light world, so additional ASM is needed. Further bugs might occur if you open the dark world completely right away, since you will be where you are not supposed to be yet.

-Caps + Tunic & Belt- should match!
doable, gfx edit

-Add back unused content - Cannon Soldier,
-1/4 Magic Upgrade, anything else that is unused
doable, already done in PW hack and Proto hack

-Add "Master Quest".
-with new dungeon layouts, harder enemies, etc.,
-also a special item or "true" ending after beating
-the "Master Quest"
too much work, not recomended, specially "new dungeon layouts" are not happening, you can only make enemies stronger and your health weaker, but again it is much easier to do this on a separate Rom, mixing this into the same Rom is not recomended.
On a separate Rom you can do all the above.

-New Shields - adding a new shield, possibly a
-wooden shield? Shields- lvl 1 shield = Deku Shield,
-lvl 2 shield = Hylian Shield
-lvl 3 shield = Mirror Shield
already done in Parallel Worlds hack, but will have same effect as vanilla shields, you are linited regarding colours, specially in the inventory: they might not match the in-game sprite competely

-Pot Breaking- Lvl 1 Sword CANNOT break pots but
-Lvl 2 and higher CAN break pots as well
-as the hammer and bombs.
Already done by Conn, ASM wise and debugged. Look at sword breaks pots ASM.

-L & R buttons to switch items
already done

-ordered in most useful to least useful
-or a better order than what redux currently has.
absolutely not doable, you just don't change the order of main Y button elements without heavy edits and even then you will have bugs.

-Blade beam. To use it, Equip the Book of Mudora
-and swing your blade, consumes Magic.
doable, but needs ASM. Was never done before.

-Updated HUD (more like the newer games)
very difficult, but doable. Changing HUD and MENU will be *a lot* of work, unless you use already existing ones, such as Euclid's vertical menu, 24 item menu etc.

-Magic Meter Lvl 3 upgrade
doable, but the trigger needs to be set, ASM required

-Possibly better if the magic meter extends in length
not happening, bar must stay the same, lots of ASM for this is written in the HUD, it will just drain slowly

-very short and then it gets longer with upgrades.
if you could see, how the HUD is programed, you would not be suggesting this. Long story short: the bar must stay the same (and also all green level possibilities), the upgrades will just drain it slower. The drain can only be set by a factor of 2 on n (so normal, 2x slower, 4x slower).

-Bridges at Death Mountain are fixed and fully
-functional in the light world.
doable, overworld drawing edit, but can make paradoxes, since you are supposed to hookshot accross.

-If you have no sword you punch them and stun them.
already made by Conn for Parallel World, see boxing ASM

-Can upgrade Mitts/Gloves in the Fairy Fountain where
-you throw stuff in allow you to move blocks an
-unlimited amount of times with the Lvl 4 mitts.
not in that order. Can not have level 4 gloves, but can make block move infinitely with any other glove or no glove.
See Conn's unlimited pushable block ASM.
Note: this requires edits to all pushable blocks layouts to not bug - be pushed into walls, so you can not just take ALTTP positions of pushable blocks+ infinitely pushable block. Such a block needs a special place to be pushed, which ALTTP does not have for these blocks.

-Rupee counter goes to 9999
doable, already done in Parallel Worlds and also ALTTP (needs edits to HUD too).

-Golden Bee (name fixed) special way to summon it
already done in Conker hack, see the Raft item ASM, which summons 3 golden bees and takes aways all but one heart of your health

-GBA Features, hurricane spin
don't mix GBA with SNES, but the hurricane spin was also done by Conn in a form of 4th potion: see hurricane spin ASM

-After Effects - once you beat the game or certain
-dungeons the world changes, example being the zoras
-don't attack you anymore, etc.
not happening, unless extensive ASM

-Ice Rod can freeze paths across water.
already done by Conn and I debugged it. See ice rod freezing water ASM. Note: freezing just any water can still produce bugs, like you can be trapped in an island with no magic left to make more ice paths, so can Not just use this with native ALTTP, needs more edits, like green magic autofill etc.
Recomended is to rather freeze only certain objects, like ice stones or lava rocks instead of all water. Ice rod freezing adopts are also done, since I adopted this ASM to be able to freeze lava rocks and other custom objects.

-Fire rod can burn and damage more things
relative, since no way of knowing what "more things" are. The rod will react to any sprite, as any sprite is programed to be vulnerable to it or not. Can make it bun bushes though.

-Slingshot (lvl 1 bow) which is upgraded to bow
already done in Conker, see Slingshot ASM

-Bombs can be upgraded to the super bombs at the fairy.
-Doesn't follow behind you but is used like normal bombs.
already done in Conker, see Superbomb ASM

-NO KEYS IN POTS, BAD DESIGN
doable, remove all pot-item-key elements and replace them as sprites or in chests. Much more difficult to do, if they should be ropped by defeated enemies.

-more items can be upgraded by throwing them in the fairy pool
not so easy, but doable. Not recomended though, so Conn decided to make upgrades from chests, since this is much better

-Pegasus Boots Upgrade, Lvl 2 (upgraded at waterfall)
-allowes you to turn while running
doable, but needs ASM

-Chris Houlihan Room - REPLACE! How about a room full
-of 100s of rupees, fairies, a chest with blue potion, etc.
easily doable. You can not "remove" the room though, just change it to whatever you want, and insert what you want

-"Games Played" (which shows how many times you died) now says -"Lives Lost" or something similar. Saving and quiting does
-NOT count, ONLY counts as a death when you actually die.
-Being revived by a fairy does NOT count either.
Games Played to Lives Lost is a hex edit and doable, since first is 12 letters and second 10 letters. Can not exceed 12 though. Revived by fairy does not count as death by default, so ok. Saving and quiting not counting as death was made already. Just can not remember where the ASM for this is.

-Kholdstare's Shell "Melting" - RESTORE THIS EFFECT
already done, but this is considered minor edit, barely noticeable.

-New Zora sprites? To make them look like the
-ones from Ocarina of Time
Well you don't add new sprites, you edit the existing ones

-Also add the Goron's in the mountains?
-Perhaps this is too much.
Again, you don't add a Goron, you gfx edit an existing sprite to look like a Goron, which is doable. Just need to "sacrifice" some other NPC.

-New Items? - Fire Rod is the Lamp upgraded. Ball & Chain
-and lvl 3 boomerang
-Catch Fairie with empty bottle?
-Stuns enemies if you hit them with swinging bottle.
already done by Conn, see new items ASM

-Hammer - new sprite for hammer and possibly new
-animation for link too, the hammer looks like crap.
doable, gfx edit.

-includes hacks: Redux, Hyrule Explorer,
-max consumables, tranlsation improvement.
while this is otherwise easily doable, you can not know, what each of these hacks does to the code. Hyrule Explorer might do something which is incompatible with Redux for instance. Different with max consumables and translation, which you know what they do and can be easily ported. It is better to see, what is going on and then port it manually, rather than to just use the IPS patch of all 4 on 1 rom, which is not recomended.

redux issues:

-Bombs won't go above 60, they should go to 99.
easily fixable, must set max in hex to 99

-Fairy in Dungeon 4 is blinking/transparent
can not be fixed, this is an emulation problem or too much sprites on screen

-Make cap the same color as the tunic
easily doable, pal edit of main sprite

-Make compatible with Zelda 3: Hyrule Explorer;
not so easy, since you don't know what each hack did exactly

-make it easier to do dungeons out of order
this can lead to bugs, since you might be somewhere, where the game does not want you to be. Doing dungeons in order is not a crime, but a Zelda feature and basically a debug. Doing them in any order can be a pain for beta testing and debugging.

-Link's Hair- the color is still slightly off
easily doable, pal edit of main sprite

-Change "priest" back to "wizard".
easily doable, but why would you do that. The priest is in the curch and the wizard is Agahnim.

-Remove Star of David at Eastern Palace
easily doable, gfx edit, only barely noticeable

-Doesn't show the change to your magic meter
-when you get the 1/2 upgrade
easily fixable, gfx edit. But hackers sometimes just remove this, since you know you had an update

-I would love to see this become reality.
except the things I listed as "not heppening" others are doable

-My goal is to make the perfect LttP experience. I don't
-want to change the base game too much but would like to
-open the world up a bit more
not what hackers want. We want to make a different game, what you want is not much different from original, your ideas are primarily ASM based, instead of dungeon editing or overworld editing.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

The Perfect Zelda 3 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by zarby89 Sat 6 Feb 2021 - 18:29

Hello, first of all i don't mean to be rude and this is just my personal opinion but all these ideas are pretty bad and doesn't make the "perfect zelda 3" Disgust

few ideas are not bad like L & R quickswap, using canon guards/quarter magic if it fit your hack... but if you keep the game vanilla with these ideas i think 90% will find it disgusting

for the day & night system i think having a phase where game become nightime would be better in my opinion

but really trying to apply changes from GBA game or AST is a big mistake imo, try to think of something better rather than trying to copy those awful ideas lol again that's just my opinion some peoples may like these changes but i'm pretty sure majority doesn't
zarby89
zarby89

The Perfect Zelda 3 Image111

Since : 2016-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Tue 9 Feb 2021 - 17:52

Have you played LttP Redux?

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 12 Feb 2021 - 15:02

Farfromhere001 wrote:Have you played LttP Redux?
Redux is pretty much the same as the original game, so I don't think a lot of people here have played it, but I did look at it from Hyrule Magic perspective. Irronically this version of the game is quite popular in general, at least assuming on the amount of downloads it has.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 11:48

What is "Hyrule Magic perspective"?

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 11:50

Thank you for the extensive responses! I really like the idea about the mirror shield reflecting more things!

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 11:51

sorry what is ASM?

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 12:12

thank y'all so much for all the info! I will be working on this for years and will eventually release it. I'm not sure what the rules are on this but if a talented hacker can help me make this happen I'd be happy to pay/gift them something...

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 17:46

What is "Hyrule Magic perspective"?
Opening the Rom in an editor for the ALTTP called Hyrule Magic and looking up rooms and areas directly, rather than actually play the game.

sorry what is ASM?
Short for assembly, ie inserting new code into the game, rather than editing gfx, rooms or areas etc. The latter being "editing" the first being "programing".

I'm not sure what the rules are on this but if a talented hacker can help me make this happen I'd be happy to pay/gift them something...
Not happening, we don't accept playment/gifts and we don't necessarily help on demand and you generally don't ask someone else to do something for you, if you are otherwise not the lead person on the hack and have already done the majority of things for it.

For instance when I worked on something, I had the majority done (GFX, overword, indoor rooms) and sometimes did ask for some side ASM work and the others figuered it was worth to do it, to actually see their new code (new item or debug or feature) in an actual project.

You also generally don't open a topic for a project, that has no actual evidence (like a video) that it is worked on. And the video usually contains the already done part of the project.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Farfromhere001 Tue 16 Feb 2021 - 23:37

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Farfromhere001
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Tue 30 Mar 2021 - 21:43

when it comes to fixing the broken bridge on mountain i can tell you that it is doable however, you will need to add a path in the dark world, which is a pain to edit especially because you have to make sure you do not edit the wrong tiles that could mess up tile sets in other locations.

you can see what i did to add a bridge in the dark world.

while you have a lot of interesting ideas, these could only work if you rebuild the game from scratch. the snes has a lot of limitations even with asm. remember that this is only a 16 bit game.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/19/41/62/00/captur11.png

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down