Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration

Go down

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Empty Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration

Post by SePH Fri 7 May 2021 - 18:47

Hello, in celebration of the fifteen anniversary of Parallel Worlds original release, I'm going to release all early versions of the game that I stumble upon along other goodies along the way. That will include concepts and ideas that didn't make it into the final game along possibly other hacks I've worked on and never got released or were abandonned. I'll update this thread as I find more. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Euclid's Tower of The Triforce - Original demo *fixed* release [April 30th 2004]

((Download Here))

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Zelda-Tower-of-The-Triforce-00000

This is Euclid's original demo of Tower of The Triforce upon which I took the mantle to recreate his overworlds, which in turn over the years became known as Parallel Worlds!

readme (click to view):

TotT-My EnD [August 15th 2005]

((Download Here))

This is the results of fidling/fixing Euclid's overworlds after one intensive month of work. The game at this stage was completely unplayable however as sprites, entrances and exits weren't all properly set yet. Still if you wanna have a look, you're welcome to grab any copy of Hyrule Magic as the rom is unlocked, or you can check out the overworld pictures below!

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Tot-T-My-En-D-00000

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Tot-T-My-En-D-LW Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Tot-T-My-En-D-LW-MAP
(click for full view/download)

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Tot-T-My-En-D-DW Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Tot-T-My-En-D-DW-MAP

PW February 9th 2006 Remade Houses by SePH

Sometime during development, Euclid agreed that I remade the houses so they would look different. However, we omited to implement them into the final game for some reason. Yet here they were in their full glory, along the descriptions I had gave to Euclid.

click to view:

PW-v471 [February 15th 2006]

((Download Here))

This version had a rather different overworld, it is unknown if it is beatable however. I suspect it hosts far more bugs then the final release as well. Entrances and exits appears to all be set, so it's at least possible to visit the different places. It should be noted that there's a permanent infinite health cheat implemented, as was the case with most early versions to quickly test all dungeons without dieing; holes still hurt though.

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-v471-TITLE

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-v471-LW Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-v471-LW-map

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-v471-DW Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-v471-DW-map

PW June 29th 2006 - Area 03 Concept

I originally envisionned the top of the Parallel Tower to have a proper building exit, but never went that route for unknown reasons. It would have looked as such otherwise:

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Area-03-concept

The Parallel Tower top exit as seen in the final game:

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image2

PW July 2nd 2006 - Overworld Remaking Concepts

After some careful consideration, I've decided sometime at the beginning of July 2006 to remake the overworlds one final time before release, so they would be even better then the past two iterations before that. These maps outline my early ideas how the world areas would look. Some areas never made it past concept such as the log woods or the flower gardens, but most remaining as envisionned.

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Light

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Dark

PW August 11th 2006 - Custom Enemies and Priest sprites by Daisuke

We actually had a good spriter with us onboard the project at the time and it was Daisuke. After finishing the actually very good blonde haired Link sprite we had, he supplied me with a bunch of other enemies to implement along a different priest sprite. Most of them got into the game, but the priest didn't made the cut along a few others.

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration 102

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration 103

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Enemies

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Priest

PW-beta0 [December 16th 2006]

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration PW-beta0-0000

((Download Here))

This version was a beta close to release so the list of changes between the final version and this one isn't substancial. There could be more bugs however that were later fixed close to release. I'm including Euclid's original e-mail for the beta!

More info from Euclid here:

PW December 25th 2006 Teaser

Before releasing the hack, me and Euclid were actually very quiet about the impending hack to be released and haven't talked much about it to the rest of the world (except the elusive close bubble of Zelda 3 rom hackers at the time). We only showed one screenshot on Christmas and it was this one:

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Teasergl0

PW January 2007 News releases

The original google website by Euclid was really quiet until the news release from major blogs appeared and then the hit counter went up like crazy. The word then spread quickly with peers as well as the multiple curses about the difficulty... and less often praise lol.

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image4

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image6

SePH's PW v2.0 edits from 2007

At the beginning of 2007, following heavy criticisms from people playing the game and finding the dungeons too harsh for their tastes, I've taken on the mantle to redisign Euclid's dungeons. It didn't lasted long however as I soon felt burned out for working on Zelda 3 for so long, so I quit and took a sabatical year. Little that I knew I would still be doing romhacks for this game 15 more years, meh...

Euclid gave me a list of suggestions to help me further with the major task I had undertaken.

euclid's wishlist:

And here's some before/after of the rooms that I did had the chance to edit during those few months before quitting.

The Guardhouse [Before]:
Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration GUARDHOUSE-V1-0

The Guardhouse [After]:
Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration GUARDHOUSE-V2-0

The Caves [Before]:
Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration CAVES-V1-0

The Caves [After]:
Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration CAVES-V2-0

And that's about all I'm going to showcase for Parallel Worlds pre-release stuff for now, the next updates will be about the rest of hacks I've worked on/abandonned and all their different phases, most likely next week or after.

Greetings! Very Happy

Last edited by SePH on Sat 8 May 2021 - 19:27; edited 9 times in total

SePH

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image213

Since : 2020-10-03

Back to top Go down

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Empty Re: Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration

Post by SePH Fri 7 May 2021 - 19:52

[Reserved for Gates of Time/Darkness, Lyra Islands, Shards of Might and Parallel Universes...]

Last edited by SePH on Fri 7 May 2021 - 21:04; edited 3 times in total

SePH

Back to top Go down

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Empty Re: Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration

Post by Euclid Fri 7 May 2021 - 20:21

The houses became too hard since the dungeon data was moved to the back of the rom around 2005? Anyway wasn't willing to risk breaking it at that stage since I ran out of dungeon object space furnishing the last few PW Floors (the near-empty rooms on one of the floors is part of the result).

The way I had to refit dungeons is - find the rom where I had all the dungeon objects -> modify -> generate object data at the back of the rom -> copy it over. -> pray that I didn't break a door/thing by testing the crap out of it.
Euclid
Euclid

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image212

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SePH Fri 7 May 2021 - 20:30

Oh, hey Euclid! Guess I had to release some Tower of The Triforce stuff to take you out of lurking mode lol.

That's a pretty good explanation. I know there had to be something why they were never implemented since just remaking the guardhouse took sometime to figure how you would do it!

Feel free to submit more Parallel Worlds stuff if you still have them laying around, the way my files are so much unsorted I found stuff all over my other hacks folders lol.

Anyways good to see you ;-)

SePH

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Fri 7 May 2021 - 20:36

Dude this is awesome! Glad you decided to do all of this, really exciting to see just what was planned/scrapped compared to the final game. Seeing those early over worlds was mind blowing to me, they look so different from the final, but there are a lot of parts of it that are the same. Thank you so much for doing this! Will definitely be interested to see more.
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Image211

Since : 2020-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Fri 7 May 2021 - 20:38

I still have most of it on the computer, but not sure which ones are in usable state.

But if people just want to look at them via HM, then I can probably generate a few ips, not today though maybe bit later.
Euclid
Euclid

Back to top Go down

Post by SePH Fri 7 May 2021 - 20:47

No worries Letterbomb, enjoy! Very Happy

I figured as much Euclid, it's very rare for rom hackers to delete their work folders!

Alright, sounds good and as you said, no rush, take your time (I personally have much to share as well, so it might take sometime to process everything else).

SePH

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Sat 8 May 2021 - 0:35

On the Tower of the Triforce Maps, it is so cool to see Cannon Oasis and Sky Isles to be about the same as the final! Looking at the Cemetery too, it looks really detailed along with some of Hyrule Castle. One of the cool things about this too is the fact that the Icy World was just the Dark World. Again thank you for these, it's so cool to see all of these early things, and it's even more mind blowing how many things were changed. I hopefully will be able to try out the Beta and the other versions of PW/TotT tomorrow to see all of this.
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Sat 8 May 2021 - 18:25

So I've been trying to try to get the PW-beta0 download to work on SNES9x, but I haven't been able to find out how to get it to work, it always ends up with a bad checksum. (This is my first time trying to patch btw) Anyone have a good video I can look at to try to get this working?
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 8 May 2021 - 19:38

Letterbomb9689 wrote:So I've been trying to try to get the PW-beta0 download to work on SNES9x, but I haven't been able to find out how to get it to work, it always ends up with a bad checksum. (This is my first time trying to patch btw) Anyone have a good video I can look at to try to get this working?
I tested this and it works fine. You just need to patch it to the original A Link to the Past with No-header, US version - using LunarIPS program, while having the original ROM, which is not provided here for legal purposes. The checksum will Not be ok, since the checksum is based on the original game (while PW is a hack), and romhackers don't bother to fix the checksum for the hack, but it can be done with the checksum calculator. The checksum is usually just ignored by the emulator as well as real hardware, so we don't bother to fix this, but it will say bad checksum in any case, even if you patch correctly, and it does not mean the game will not work, it will still work normally, despite bad checksum message.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Sat 8 May 2021 - 19:47

Yeah I've been trying to do that, but I keep getting the bad checksum error. Not sure what I am doing wrong
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Sat 8 May 2021 - 20:38

Nevermind, figured out the problem with it!
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariotag Tue 18 May 2021 - 3:31

All this is seriously neat!
It's nice to see the different stuff a project went through.
If you /do/ end up making other LttP hacks, I'd certainly like to try. Never could quite finish CHRT 100%.

Mariotag
Bee
Bee

Since : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Empty Translation

Post by mcthlsferre Tue 18 May 2021 - 4:49

I even participated in the translation of version 1.23 to other languages, in my case it was to Portuguese. Very Happy Big Triforce
mcthlsferre
mcthlsferre
Bee
Bee

Since : 2018-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Thu 10 Jun 2021 - 11:32

Might be late by a lot on this, but I have tried to get Euclid's demo of Tower of the Triforce working, but I haven't been able to get it to load.
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 10 Jun 2021 - 17:16

Letterbomb9689 wrote:Might be late by a lot on this, but I have tried to get Euclid's demo of Tower of the Triforce working, but I haven't been able to get it to load.
That's because the IPS was made for a headered rom and also the naming screen/menu is false due to abnormal file size.

Here the new IPS for the non headered (standard US) rom with the naming/menu screen fix.
Download (I hope zebucket uploader is not blocked in your country/IP), since this is the easiest one click download free service that I know of, mostly hosting romhacks and their screenshots:

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/TotTdemo1-no-header+menu-fix.ips

If it doesn't work, just copy paste the link into the browser or go to Zebucket and search for it and download it from there.

It doesn't seem to be working since zebucket seems to be blocked. Well, uploaded it as a zip attachement using this forum's service, but I think you need to be logged-in.
Attachments
Parallel Worlds 15th Anniversary Celebration Attachment
TotTdemo1-no-header+menu-fix.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(693 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Thu 10 Jun 2021 - 17:58

Puzzledude wrote:
Letterbomb9689 wrote:Might be late by a lot on this, but I have tried to get Euclid's demo of Tower of the Triforce working, but I haven't been able to get it to load.
That's because the IPS was made for a headered rom and also the naming screen/menu is false due to abnormal file size.

Here the new IPS for the non headered (standard US) rom with the naming/menu screen fix.
Download (I hope zebucket uploader is not blocked in your country/IP), since this is the easiest one click download free service that I know of, mostly hosting romhacks and their screenshots:

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/TotTdemo1-no-header+menu-fix.ips

If it doesn't work, just copy paste the link into the browser or go to Zebucket and search for it and download it from there.

It doesn't seem to be working since zebucket seems to be blocked. Well, uploaded it as a zip attachement using this forum's service, but I think you need to be logged-in.

Oh I didn't know it had to be headered, I tried it with the header and I was able to get it to work! Thanks Puzz.
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Zanak Sun 18 Jul 2021 - 14:33

Happy Anniversary. Bit late reply, was going through my email and saw a whole bunch of zeldix notifications. I remember following parallel worlds way back around 2007-2008, and playing it on Zsnes. Man things have changed to much since then...a shame Seph never finished it with his own custom dungeons, would have made it no doubt the best zelda III rom hack out there.
Zanak
Zanak
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Since : 2016-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Thu 22 Jul 2021 - 7:18

You should play conkers high rule tail - seph's done a great job in dungeons there.
Euclid
Euclid

Back to top Go down

Post by parallel pal Tue 5 Sep 2023 - 2:12

This hack is awesome!!!!
totally deserving of an anniversary. I just finished it tonight and was really wondering if there's a place where i can listen to or even download the new music in this game. OR even just where all the different new tracks are in the game would be good too i guess.

Does anyone know?

parallel pal
Newcomer

Since : 2023-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Letterbomb Thu 7 Sep 2023 - 6:55

parallel pal wrote:This hack is awesome!!!!
totally deserving of an anniversary. I just finished it tonight and was really wondering if there's a place where i can listen to or even download the new music in this game. OR even just where all the different new tracks are in the game would be good too i guess.

Does anyone know?

Pretty much all of the music tracks in this game are vanilla, except for one which was the Zelda 1 Dungeon theme used in Darunia's Cavern. But there were actually plans to use more custom music tracks, like the Lost Woods theme, and Stone Tower Temple theme. I actually have some of the music files since I have pretty much all of the PW-Dev builds.
Letterbomb
Letterbomb

Back to top Go down